Page 24 of 35 FirstFirst ... 1420212223242526272834 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Tracks View Post
    It's the first movie since he passed and the began production shortly after. People putting a fictional character before his friend and colleagues choosing to honor him is silly. To blow it up into some conspiracy the way some have is ridiculous.

They'll probably recast him, it might take some time. But to throw a fit in the literal first movie after his passing? Embarrassing.

This is Blades thread, so I’ll leave it at this. Chadwick’s family said he would’ve wanted a recast. I’m sure his family is closer to him than any of the actors, producers (Feige), and directors (Coogler), that decided against the recast.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard View Post
    This is Blades thread, so I’ll leave it at this. Chadwick’s family said he would’ve wanted a recast. I’m sure his family is closer to him than any of the actors, producers (Feige), and directors (Coogler), that decided against the recast.
    Youre arguing in circles man, so I will restate:

To make it clear, no one in his family has advocated for him to be recast immediately. No one in his family has expressed disappointment with the direction Coogler has chosen. When you say "family", you're taking his brother's comment about eventually recasting and latching marvel fan impatience to it.

And this is what I meant when I said unreasonable. Because we have friends and colleagues that are choosing to honor him with a film. We have people close to him and colleagues saying they're open to recasting eventually. The fan response? "If they don't recast him immediately, they're violating his will and his family's will and trying to erase black panther"

This is not a reasonable position. It's reactionary and in most cases myopic.

A single person in the year that he passed said they weren't immediately planning on recasting tchalla in the 616. He said this in a context where Marvel's literal main thread is introducing characters from other universes. Marvel continues to make black panther IP, it's going to be ok.
    Last edited by Tracks; 09-30-2022 at 07:24 AM.

Youre arguing in circles man
    Impossible. This is the only time I’ve presented an argument in this discussion. My first statement was a question. This is Blades thread, and I like Blade. So I’ll be a man of my word. I heard your piece.

Youre arguing in circles man, so I will restate:

To make it clear, no one in his family has advocated for him to be recast immediately. No one in his family has expressed disappointment with the direction Coogler has chosen. When you say "family", you're taking his brother's comment about eventually recasting and latching marvel fan impatience to it.

And this is what I meant when I said unreasonable. Because we have friends and colleagues that are choosing to honor him with a film. We have people close to him and colleagues saying they're open to recasting eventually. The fan response? "If they don't recast him immediately, they're violating his will and his family's will and trying to erase black panther"

This is not a reasonable position. It's reactionary and in most cases myopic.

A single person in the year that he passed said they weren't immediately planning on recasting tchalla in the 616. He said this in a context where Marvel's literal main thread is introducing characters from other universes. Marvel continues to make black panther IP, it's going to be ok.
    Of course the family haven't expressed any disappointment, they aren't in the office to see what Marvel is doing with their movie. Why would a family mourning one of their own even care what a company does with their franchise character? Bottom line is that Marvel is has bumbled 2 black male hero franchises Black Panther and Blade.

Quote Originally Posted by ENTRYS View Post
    Not a big fan of whom they've cast to play Blade. Dude is too old. They should have cast a younger actor and locked him into contracts for many movies to come - like they did it with Chris Hemsworth, Tom Holland and so on.

The original Blade movie came out in 1998. Wesley Snipes was 36 year old, when he played that role. A great age for an actor, who is supposed to star in a trilogy, which spans over a decade. Mahershala Ali, the new Blade actor is 48 years old now. He'll probably be almost 60, when his role is coming to an end. Even Robert Downey Jr. was younger, when he first played Iron Man at 43 years. And that's for a character like Tony Stark, who doesn't have to be as physical and agile as Blade. Even Oscar Isaac is younger at 43 years and he has the luxury of playing a completely mummified character, so the age doesn't show as much.
    I think Ali is a great actor but he wouldn't be my choice and still isn't.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by dkrook View Post
    Of course the family haven't expressed any disappointment, they aren't in the office to see what Marvel is doing with their movie. Why would a family mourning one of their own even care what a company does with their franchise character? Bottom line is that Marvel is has bumbled 2 black male hero franchises Black Panther and Blade.
    Youre responding to the wrong person because I'm not the one who said the film goes against his family's wishes.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by LukeCagefan View Post
    I think its because we haven't seen him in an action role yet. I think he has "the look" moreso than most other actors. I agree he's coming at it in a different place in his career. Wesley had established himself as an action star. It's interesting because I'm not sure we have another Black actor that occupies the same space that Snipes did in the 90s. Closest would be Michael B. Jordan.

I think its because we haven't seen him in an action role yet. I think he has "the look" moreso than most other actors. I agree he's coming at it in a different place in his career. Wesley had established himself as an action star. It's interesting because I'm not sure we have another Black actor that occupies the same space that Snipes did in the 90s. Closest would be Michael B. Jordan.
    Too bad they cast Michael B. Jordan for a throwaway role like Killmonger. Dude should have gotten a bigger role, like many other actors, who only briefly appeared in the MCU. I think Karl Urban as Skurge was an incredibly wasted role. Dude should have gotten a major character to play.

Quote Originally Posted by LukeCagefan View Post
    Sigh. I think Jamie Foxx would be great as Blade but he strikes me as too manic and too jokey. The current MCU would only amp those traits.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Quote Originally Posted by dkrook View Post
    If you admit the family doesn't really care then that only leads credence to the idea that using them as a point for recasting is kinda gross. And we can't say they "bumbled" either character yet.

If the Unforgiven are included in the film, I hope that Blade gets to kill them, and not look back.

Mighty Member

So Beau Demayo is rewriting the whole script. He did episode 3 of moon knight, which did have a couple of really cool action scenes.

This reminds me of Ava Duvernay before Black Panther. Sounds like major creative differences for Marvel. Surprised they are getting a full rewrite

Reddits picks for new Blade directors
    https://screenrant.com/mcu-directors...-blade-reddit/

I don’t love this list but Jordan Peele and Antoine Fuqua have good proven ranges as directors. The other names while accomplished haven’t shown me everything I want in a Blade film. Will see what happens.

Details about the script

https://www.theilluminerdi.com/2022/...lade-revealed/

According to our sources the new Blade movie was going to be set largely in the 1920s and feature European Vampires. We’ve also heard that Blade may features scenes in multiple time periods beyond the 1920s. Presumably this could follow him in the decades after the 1920s, perhaps even leading into the modern era of the MCU. This could all change given the behind-the-scenes shakes ups, but it indicates the movie would have focused on Blade’s, aka Eric Cross Brooks’, origins likely taking major influence from the comics. In the comics Eric Cross Brooks was born in a London Brothel in the year 1929.

While his mother was giving birth complications arose and a doctor was called, but the doctor was actually a vampire, Deacon Frost, in disguise. Frost bit and killed Eric’s mother somehow transferring vampire enzymes and changing Eric’s DNA, making him a human-vampire hybrid. Eric was raised in the London brothel and trained to fight vampires by Jamal Afari, a jazz musician.

Afari eventually gave Eric the nickname Blade because of his proficiency with knives and daggers. Eric hunted numerous vampires in Europe losing loved ones and allies, including Afari, in his endless quest to destroy vampires. Given recent reports, it is unclear whether or not this will change.

If Ali is indeed unhappy with the script and with director Bassam Tariq leaving the project, this could lead to a major change in direction for the movie. If Marvel and the next director continues in this direction, it’s an exciting story possibility that hasn’t yet been explored on screen. Digging into Blade’s origins in a period piece could give important insight into the character and the world of the MCU in the early 20th century.

When Blade ultimately comes into the MCU in the modern era, he would likely be a hardened vampire hunter with nearly a century of experience. Seeing his early days could prove to be not only compelling, but integral to understanding how he has become the man he is. Having the movie set in the 1920s could also establish the long standing feuds that the vampire hunter has with many very powerful vampires including Dracula himself, who is responsible for Blade losing Jamal Afari.

If the movie were to introduce a character like Dracula, it could track the continued feud throughout multiple decades culminating in the modern era of Marvel, especially with characters like Werewolf By Night joining the MCU ranks.
    The J-man

If the script is being changed can they get rid of the kid?
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Mighty Member

He was in an action role before: Hunger Games: Mockingjay