Page 6 of 35 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    hm. I take it that Afua Richardson is not involved? Who are the creative parties identified?

Seems like a not-so-good way to old-ize Blade, but we'll see how it goes, when Marvel has yet to do right by her dad...
    Isn’t Blade already sort of immortal? Last I checked in Mighty Avengers he was hanging out with Luke Cage’s dad and Blue Marvel in the 70’s when he had his Afro look.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Marvel barely writes Blade as it is and now we're suppose to believe they will write stories about his daughter, that is somehow fully grown?
    The J-man

Mighty Member

From the art looks like his gf from the 70s, so actually conceivable she's already an adult. If they make it a shared book, I'll be down. I really liked Dany's Blade one shot, so im gonna give it a chance for sure.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rzerox21xx View Post
    Oh yeah, it been a decade since I read the Essentials Tomb of Dracula. fun times. I wonder, what happened with Eric relationship with Spitfire. Other than Paul Cornell, Al Ewing was the only other writer that did anything with it in his Mighty Avengers run.
    Yea that all faded in that period between Blade's avengers teams

So why couldn't they use the original daughter? Because the writer wasn't black?

Although I feel like with the movie coming up people want to read about Blade and not some new daughter character.

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    Marvel barely writes Blade as it is and now we're suppose to believe they will write stories about his daughter, that is somehow fully grown?
    Pretty much how I feel. I want them to focus on Blade and his foes, not saddling him with a daughter.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Pretty much how I feel. I want them to focus on Blade and his foes, not saddling him with a daughter.
    yeah and the way they are creating Blade's daughter isn't the same as Luke Cage and Jessica Jones daughter or Spider-Man and Mary Jane's daughter.

She just pops up and is already an adult? It doesn't feel the same. We didn't get a long character arc and journey with Blade (in the comics). There's absolutley no focus on the mother.

I find this push a little suspect
    The J-man

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    So why couldn't they use the original daughter? Because the writer wasn't black?

Although I feel like with the movie coming up people want to read about Blade and not some new daughter character.
    I'm guessing they just wanted to take it in a new direction. Fallon Grey was very unique. I think the core premises with her were:

1. Blade abandoned her/didn't know he had a daughter (conceivable people wouldn't react well to a perceived stereotype)

2. She grew up in like Arkansas or some random all white town as the "reverse Peter Parker" so extremely popular

3. She was a stronger vampire (I know jabare) than Blade, while Blade was coming to terms with his age/lack of motivation

So that set up bugged a few people and I think is motivating some of the skepticism here cause it really seemed like they were setting Blade up to be a side character.

Bloodline already seems MUCH different. For one it's clear Blade knew about her and tried to help his mother with her from afar, and it looks like she's much older than Fallon Grey. While I think Fallon Grey was meant to fall in with the champions and those teenage heroes, seems like they're introducing another fully grown hero with Bloodline.

I think im more interested in this current set up but I did like that Tim Seeley had planned to not have them fight any vampires and lean more into Blade as a supernatural hunter

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    yeah and the way they are creating Blade's daughter isn't the same as Luke Cage and Jessica Jones daughter or Spider-Man and Mary Jane's daughter.

She just pops up and is already an adult? It doesn't feel the same. We didn't get a long character arc and journey with Blade (in the comics). There's absolutley no focus on the mother.

I find this push a little suspect
    Yea, I think the best example of this we have recently is probably Daken

Quote Originally Posted by Tracks View Post
    I'm guessing they just wanted to take it in a new direction. Fallon Grey was very unique. I think the core premises with her were:

1. Blade abandoned her/didn't know he had a daughter (conceivable people wouldn't react well to a perceived stereotype)
    Would it be a stereotype if he didn't know he had a daughter as opposed to abandoning her?

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Would it be a stereotype if he didn't know he had a daughter as opposed to abandoning her?
    It still wouldn’t “look good” and people would complain about Blade not being involved in his daughter’s life. Given Marvel’s love for cheap drama I am sure they would give the daughter daddy issues too.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

BANNED

It still wouldn’t “look good” and people would complain about Blade not being involved in his daughter’s life. Given Marvel’s love for cheap drama I am sure they would give the daughter daddy issues too.
    Assuming the birth mother is co-parenting, how would Eric's "daughter" diminish or prevent him from vanquishing the undead?

Quote Originally Posted by Micabe View Post
    Assuming the birth mother is co-parenting, how would Eric's "daughter" diminish or prevent him from vanquishing the undead?
    Because they’re going to have to spend time fleshing her out when I’d rather they spend time fleshing him out as a solo character and not as a dad. Besides why do we need this character? If they want to tell stories about somebody being a dad I can think of quite a few I’d rather see first before Blade.

...of the Black Priests Midnight_v's Avatar

3. She was a stronger vampire (I know jabare) than Blade, while Blade was coming to terms with his age/lack of motivation
    A semi immortal hypermasculine 90's male hero has a daughter who is more powerful than he ever was. Seems like one of those tropes that need to die. Cable, Wolvie... now blade.
    Marvel seems to desire that plot point pretty bad, but I'd like them to continue to work on JUST blade as well. I feel like he's just now getting the spotlight he deserves after years and years of
    lingering with nothing for his fans. Not even a halloween special. FFS.
    My priority is enjoying and supporting stories of timeless heroism and conflict.
    Everything else is irrelevant.

Because they’re going to have to spend time fleshing her out when I’d rather they spend time fleshing him out as a solo character and not as a dad. Besides why do we need this character? If they want to tell stories about somebody being a dad I can think of quite a few I’d rather see first before Blade.
    Yeah, you'd think they'd want more solo Blade stuff before the movie comes out.