Page 7 of 35 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast
    Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Because they’re going to have to spend time fleshing her out when I’d rather they spend time fleshing him out as a solo character and not as a dad. Besides why do we need this character? If they want to tell stories about somebody being a dad I can think of quite a few I’d rather see first before Blade.
    Honestly this could help though. Part of fleshing out a character means giving them a universe/recurring characters that mean something for them to develop alongside. Most of the marvel's biggest characters have families/children. Blade's issue is he was introduced as a side character and they kept killing off everyone that meant anything to him to further drive him mad. I was doing a re-read a while back of all of Blade's stories, and it was similar to Wolverine how many of his bigger stories just end with everyone he cares about dead. Quincy Harkers vampire slayers, the nightstalkers, the brothel he was raised, damn near all of his girlfriends, etc.

I think if they genuinely use this as an opportunity to add some emotional depth to him, that could be good. I think we're all just worried about them just tossing him aside if she gets more popular. I have a feeling she'll be well received too. She's built with the newer age of horror comics in mind.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight_v View Post
    A semi immortal hypermasculine 90's male hero has a daughter who is more powerful than he ever was. Seems like one of those tropes that need to die. Cable, Wolvie... now blade.
    Marvel seems to desire that plot point pretty bad, but I'd like them to continue to work on JUST blade as well. I feel like he's just now getting the spotlight he deserves after years and years of
    lingering with nothing for his fans. Not even a halloween special. FFS.
    Truth, he's been appearing a lot more and I'm trying to think of the major development that occurred.

in War of the Realms and Darkhold we see his biggest fear is becoming the lord of the vampires. In Avengers we see he still sees himself as a monster and wouldn't know what to do with himself after he kills all the vampires (which I thought was him leaning more into the superhero side of things). Aaron did a little to build up his relationship with the Avengers here and there, and kinda gave him an official Avengers stamp after he became the vampire sheriff. I can't help feel like none of this has really stuck though. Like I highly doubt after Aaron's run, and main Avengers writer will feel like Blade is really a part of the real Avengers.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracks View Post
    Honestly this could help though. Part of fleshing out a character means giving them a universe/recurring characters that mean something for them to develop alongside. Most of the marvel's biggest characters have families/children. Blade's issue is he was introduced as a side character and they kept killing off everyone that meant anything to him to further drive him mad. I was doing a re-read a while back of all of Blade's stories, and it was similar to Wolverine how many of his bigger stories just end with everyone he cares about dead. Quincy Harkers vampire slayers, the nightstalkers, the brothel he was raised, damn near all of his girlfriends, etc.

I think if they genuinely use this as an opportunity to add some emotional depth to him, that could be good. I think we're all just worried about them just tossing him aside if she gets more popular. I have a feeling she'll be well received too. She's built with the newer age of horror comics in mind.
    This is what I’m thinking aswell

Yeesh. I was grateful when the Seeley pitch didn't happen. And now we have it anyway in a rendition that is probably much worse than his would have been. Strengthenss my argument that randomly retconning offspring of classic characters into canon is a bad idea. And should be avoided at all costs. Stems of laziness.
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

Because they’re going to have to spend time fleshing her out when I’d rather they spend time fleshing him out as a solo character and not as a dad. Besides why do we need this character? If they want to tell stories about somebody being a dad I can think of quite a few I’d rather see first before Blade.
    In fairness, we don't really "need" any characters. They exist because someone thought they'd be a good idea. Whether that turns out to be the case with Blade's daughter is another question.

And we have had Blade fleshed out as a solo lead, even if he hasn't always had a solo series.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight_v View Post
    A semi immortal hypermasculine 90's male hero has a daughter who is more powerful than he ever was. Seems like one of those tropes that need to die. Cable, Wolvie... now blade.
    Marvel seems to desire that plot point pretty bad, but I'd like them to continue to work on JUST blade as well. I feel like he's just now getting the spotlight he deserves after years and years of
    lingering with nothing for his fans. Not even a halloween special. FFS.
    If you're talking about X-23, she's never been more powerful than Logan. In fact, she's actually weaker than him due to having less adamantium in her bones.

And to be pedantic, Logan and Blade were made before the 90s.

BANNED

Huh?!? Blade has been around forever (no pun intended ) and has a history that so comprehensive (title and issue wise) that there's litterly nothing left to flesh out.

That said, I do respect your reasoning. Personally, I look forward to seeing his "retconned" daughter.
    Last edited by Micabe; 04-04-2022 at 05:58 AM. Reason: Pic(s) added.

I honestly wish we could see a pre-Snipes synergized version again.
    Last edited by KurtW95; 04-04-2022 at 07:45 AM.

Blade was a forgotten character in the 1980s. When I first began to get into comics, I hadn't heard of him at all. After Tomb ended, publishing-wise, Blade missed out on pretty much the entirety of the 1980s, with the exception being a literal couple of issues of Dr. Strange when the Montesi Formula was used to (at the time) destroy all vampires on Earth (circa 1985-6) and a short serialized story in Marvel Comics Presents, circa 1989-90. Blade became this "general" supernatural detective teamed up with King and Frank Drake.. but those characters' appearances were scarce, until the "Tomb of Dracula" revival mini-series circa 1992, which eventually led into the NightStalkers and Midnight suns era of the 90s, which had relatively short runs before cancellation.

There's still a lot of untapped "solo" Blade stories to be told, without the addition of a daughter, and the presumed absentee dad angst combined with "If you're going to do this, do it right" tough-love narratives that I'm sure are to come. Please, no "I'm too old for this ****" jokes.. Blade knows how old he is and he doesn't care. (that's my take, anyway).

We'll see how it goes. I'm not inherently offended at the notion of "Black Buffy", aimed at younger fans, but I do hope the authors don't go for a bunch of comic relief to make Eric look incompetent in comparison, especially after his recent stint in the Avengers where he was portrayed as being very on-point, despite operating in a sandbox that he normally doesn't really play in.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    In fairness, we don't really "need" any characters. They exist because someone thought they'd be a good idea. Whether that turns out to be the case with Blade's daughter is another question.

And we have had Blade fleshed out as a solo lead, even if he hasn't always had a solo series.

If you're talking about X-23, she's never been more powerful than Logan. In fact, she's actually weaker than him due to having less adamantium in her bones.

And to be pedantic, Logan and Blade were made before the 90s.
    Yea Daken would be the better example. When he first debuted he had all of wolverine's powers plus those pheromone powers that allowed him to beat everyone plus the muramasa blade for claws.

Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    I honestly wish we could see a pre-Snipes synergized version again.
    Me too. It has potential. Snipes did a lot of good but I like Blade's English roots. I'd like to see more focus on it as well as Jamal Afari. I know most are familiar with Whistler due to the movies and Spidey cartoon, but I want to learn more of Jamal even if it's in flashbacks.
    Last edited by LukeCagefan; 04-04-2022 at 03:08 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    Blade was a forgotten character in the 1980s. When I first began to get into comics, I hadn't heard of him at all. After Tomb ended, publishing-wise, Blade missed out on pretty much the entirety of the 1980s, with the exception being a literal couple of issues of Dr. Strange when the Montesi Formula was used to (at the time) destroy all vampires on Earth (circa 1985-6) and a short serialized story in Marvel Comics Presents, circa 1989-90. Blade became this "general" supernatural detective teamed up with King and Frank Drake.. but those characters' appearances were scarce, until the "Tomb of Dracula" revival mini-series circa 1992, which eventually led into the NightStalkers and Midnight suns era of the 90s, which had relatively short runs before cancellation.

There's still a lot of untapped "solo" Blade stories to be told, without the addition of a daughter, and the presumed absentee dad angst combined with "If you're going to do this, do it right" tough-love narratives that I'm sure are to come. Please, no "I'm too old for this ****" jokes.. Blade knows how old he is and he doesn't care. (that's my take, anyway).

We'll see how it goes. I'm not inherently offended at the notion of "Black Buffy", aimed at younger fans, but I do hope the authors don't go for a bunch of comic relief to make Eric look incompetent in comparison, especially after his recent stint in the Avengers where he was portrayed as being very on-point, despite operating in a sandbox that he normally doesn't really play in.
    Speaking of "solo" stories... Have you read any of these?

Blade Vol. 2
    Blade Vol. 3
    Blade Vol. 4
    Blade Vol. 5

Blade - Crescent City Blues 001 (1998)
    Blade - Enter The Vampire Hunter (1998)
    Blade - Nightstalking (2005)
    Blade - Sins of the Father (1998)
    Blade - The Final Glory of Deacon Frost (1997)
    Blade - Undead by Daylight (2016)
    Blade - 0.5 Wizard (1999)

Mighty Member

Unfortunately many of those were cut short, or just not very good (vol 4 and 5 that you linked are the same series). That 1998/1999 series seemed pretty good, but I think Marvel was downsizing at the time so it only made it to 3 issues. Similarly that max series only made it half a year. I think half of Blade's solo stories were ended before the plot got to resolve.

I think Crescent City Blues is probably the best comic specific Blade story, but you need a lot of the tomb of dracula/night stalkers stuff for it to make sense. I've said a few times I think the Tomb of Dracula 2004 miniseries is the best Blade story. Combines the elements people liked from the movies with comic aspects.

Quote Originally Posted by LukeCagefan View Post
    Me too. It has potential. Snipes did a lot of good but I like Blade's English roots. I'd like to see more focus on it as well as Jamal Afari. I know most are familiar with Whistler due to the movies and Spidey cartoon, but I want to learn more of Jamal even if it's in flashbacks.
    Sadly, I doubt that would be coming. As the guy in charge of the new Blade movie said Blade has no comics canon.

Well, ****.

Whenever you see a kid pop up that almost always means that Marvel is out of ideas when it comes to the character. Marvel hasn't known what to do with Blade since 2015, because that is when they tried and failed to foist Fallon Grey on us.

Well it might not be that bad. Let's have a look at whose writing this. Danny Lore?! Yeah it's going to be that bad. They couldn't give this away for free. Oh my god they are actually going to try to give it away for free LOL. Oh well Lore is awful so hopefully the combination of awful writer being exposed to the widest audience possible will turn so many people off this character it dies a slow death and we can all move on.

You just know that Marvel is going to try to push this character into The Blade reboot, which has a writer from HBO's garbage Watchmen reboot working on the script.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Mighty Member

I think I disagree with just about everything you just wrote haha the watchmen show might be the most successful comic book show ..ever just in terms of awards, and Lore's Blade one-shot is probably one of the better Blade stories of the last few years