Page 9 of 35 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by chief12d View Post
    Well there’s a good chance T’Challa has to worry about being usurped by more than just his little sister. Ewing let it slip in a podcast there are plans “on the schedule to introduce the product of a son” via X-Men Red. Which strongly hints Hickman’s atrocious plan to give T’Challa a kid by his ex-wife is back on.

But yea, not looking forward to Blade’s daughter and the inevitable push she’ll get to take his place.
    I thought that was about Vulcan’s And Deathbird’s baby.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracks View Post
    So in your version of events HBO chose to cancel its 8th most successful show in terms of overall viewership that had won multiple awards because it was secretly bad...
    It just didn't justify the time and money being pumped into it.

and unlike all the other shows that are plainly cancelled for those reasons, they manufactured a conspiracy...but they couldn't get past you.
    They had the showrunners blessing to continue the show. HBO didn't. What does that tell you?

Or maybe it was a limited series that HBO didn't extend after the creator ended it.
    Yeah, after he "ended" it. On a cliffhanger. And said that HBO could continue it.

Like I said it's fine if YOU didn't like a show. Inventing a conspiracy to try and make your opinion objective is bizarre. The first episode broke a viewership record for the network and by the last episode it was their most successful new series since big little lies (which had 2 seasons with similar viewership).
    Man, I feel like I just told you the pop culture equivalent of Santa Claus not being real.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    It just didn't justify the time and money being pumped into it.

They had the showrunners blessing to continue the show. HBO didn't. What does that tell you?

Yeah, after he "ended" it. On a cliffhanger. And said that HBO could continue it.

Man, I feel like I just told you the pop culture equivalent of Santa Claus not being real.
    So the record breaking viewership numbers...didn't justify the time? See how your logic falls apart?

So we're faced with two things:

1. The limited series was in fact...a limited series

2. HBO crafted a conspiracy theory to fake record breaking viewership numbers, numerous awards and critical acclaim, and lied in every single interview to cover it all up.

Don't hurt yourself on this one.

Back to reality though, what do you all think about this list:

https://screenrant.com/best-blade-comic-storylines/

I feel like you all are going in circles.

Watchmen did receive a ton of critical acclaim and good viewership. I thought it was a very nuanced approach to the show. I didn’t like the ending/thought it was contrived but other than that it pushed the source material farther than the movie did.

Attributing the cancellation to viewership isn’t accurate. Often times there are other reasons that the public might not be privy to, sometimes it’s budget sometimes it’s branding, or timing. Love Craft Country was incredibly popular, but because of its budget and possibly other reasons it was not picked up. HBO spent $30 million on a Game of Thrones spin off pilot that will never see the light of day. Rosanne was cancelled despite it performing well. The Blade series was cancelled despite solid ratings (I didn’t like it but that’s beside the point).

American Gods was changed after season 2, by executive mandate. Not for viewership but because internal politics.

When a lead producer or Showrunner steps away from an expensive show that’s often reason enough to end it. Plus it’s HBO. The network isn’t desperate like the CW that kept Supernatural going well after it’s creator left.

Some shows like Billions or Batgirl can survive dramatic changes.

Back to Watchmen I think they probably had to make a decision soon. There are 3 cast members in particular in Jeremy Irons, Regina King and Yahya Abdul Mateen that will continue to have busy schedules.

Back to the Blade one-shot it was solid. For Blade I guess it was one of the better ones, considering they had to work with a silly premise. Blade is still stuck in this weird status quo as the sherif of the Vampire nation, which is so ��. It doesn’t make sense for anyone involved
    Last edited by Jabare; 04-07-2022 at 09:31 AM.
    The J-man

Mighty Member

Lovecraft is an interesting one. I'm pretty sure it was reported that was cancelled because Misha Green signed a longterm deal with Apple TV and so HBO cut all ties with her. With the Blade series, you're right. That was because the shows viewership didn't line up with their advertisers demographics. All that to say, the idea Watchmen was "cancelled" because it was bad is just a weird idea.

I appreciated the one-shot made the premise work somewhat. Still saw creative approaches to the vampires with the main enemy, i liked that she brought back some of the other recurring characters like that Samurai vampire from Avengers too. It does firmly cut Blade off from the rest of the world though.

Uhh... when did this "Sheriff Blade" one shot come out? lol..

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    Uhh... when did this "Sheriff Blade" one shot come out? lol..
    back in november

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    I feel like you all are going in circles.

Watchmen did receive a ton of critical acclaim and good viewership. I thought it was a very nuanced approach to the show. I didnÂ’t like the ending/thought it was contrived but other than that it pushed the source material farther than the movie did.

Attributing the cancellation to viewership isnÂ’t accurate. Often times there are other reasons that the public might not be privy to, sometimes itÂ’s budget sometimes itÂ’s branding, or timing. Love Craft Country was incredibly popular, but because of its budget and possibly other reasons it was not picked up. HBO spent $30 million on a Game of Thrones spin off pilot that will never see the light of day. Rosanne was cancelled despite it performing well. The Blade series was cancelled despite solid ratings (I didnÂ’t like it but thatÂ’s beside the point).

American Gods was changed after season 2, by executive mandate. Not for viewership but because internal politics.

When a lead producer or Showrunner steps away from an expensive show thatÂ’s often reason enough to end it. Plus itÂ’s HBO. The network isnÂ’t desperate like the CW that kept Supernatural going well after itÂ’s creator left.

Some shows like Billions or Batgirl can survive dramatic changes.

Back to Watchmen I think they probably had to make a decision soon. There are 3 cast members in particular in Jeremy Irons, Regina King and Yahya Abdul Mateen that will continue to have busy schedules.

Back to the Blade one-shot it was solid. For Blade I guess it was one of the better ones, considering they had to work with a silly premise. Blade is still stuck in this weird status quo as the sherif of the Vampire nation, which is so ��. It doesn’t make sense for anyone involved
    Yeah, done telling people Santa isn't real LOL. Back to Blade! Blade has always been the rose growing through the concrete. The character succeeds in spite of Marvel. Marvel was caught off guard by Blade's success and they have never known what to do with him. Even in the midst of the characters first movie trilogy the Blade comics still felt second tier a tradition that continues to this day with Danny Lore. Why is it so hard for minority characters to get top tier creative teams!? The best Blade appearance in the 90s was in Gambit issue 4 IMHO. There he was handled by a great writer Fabian Nicieza and a great artist in Steve Skroce. If the day ever comes when the superhero movie bubble finally burst I have no doubt Blade will still somehow inexplicably manage to show up again with a hit movie or TV show.

Marvel will see this and still not know what to do with him.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Mighty Member

...yea no, it seems like you have a tough time giving up your conspiracy. Even the case of the shows that were brought up, each of the other factors were leaked to the media. That's where the reasons come from. None of that happened with Watchmen. If someone here is believing it's fiction, it's the one who has to invent reality for their point to make sense. You tried to say it wasn't successful by discounting the awards. You tried to argue it didn't have good ratings when it broke records. Now you're backpedaling to behind the scenes budgeting that was never leaked as evidence for a show being bad....yea

What is really annoying about this...one second.

((opens window so fly that won't stop annoying me can can exit))

Sorry that fly was annoying. What's really sad about this is that it turns Marvels third best black hero and second best black male hero into an absentee father. Yeah I said second. I know Falcon is trying to make his case but he isn't there yet and I don't think he ever will be. Marvel is trying to clean it up by saying that the mother didn't tell him...but doesn't that just make the mother look terrible?

Quote Originally Posted by Rzerox21xx View Post
    Blade made a appearance with rest of the Aaron Avengers team in the cutesy Marvel Meow: Infinity Comic Comic when Dr Shapiro(the High IQ cat from Slott Iron-man(one of the few good things about it I suppose) had the Marvel cats get the Avengers attention and it end with the Avengers including Blade attending to that kitties attention. I recalled Marvel 1000, one of the 1 pagers focus on Blade day to day routine of slaying vampires and Sunday, chilling in his home with his cat. Could this mean Eric Brooks is a kind-hearted cat lover.
    Of course. He's a softie ar heart. That what Marvel wants to convey with badass masculine men.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    What is really annoying about this...one second.

((opens window so fly that won't stop annoying me can can exit))

Sorry that fly was annoying. What's really sad about this is that it turns Marvels third best black hero and second best black male hero into an absentee father. Yeah I said second. I know Falcon is trying to make his case but he isn't there yet and I don't think he ever will be. Marvel is trying to clean it up by saying that the mother didn't tell him...but doesn't that just make the mother look terrible?
    Falcon lost when they decided he needed to take a white man's identity to be taken seriously. But you said Blade was the second best hero ....but to who? T'Challa?

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by LukeCagefan View Post
    Falcon lost when they decided he needed to take a white man's identity to be taken seriously. But you said Blade was the second best hero ....but to who? T'Challa?
    To defend Falcon-almost every attempt to build him up as Falcon got derailed.

The 1998 Black Panther comic was NOT suppose to happen under Priest. Much like with Luke Cage in 1986 and the ending of Powerman & Ironfist that was suppose to lead to a Cage solo/mini.

Falcon lost his planned solo after Cap America & Falcon instead Priest got handed Black Panther.

It's not that Falcon or Blade can't be taken seriously-it's finding someone who is WILLING to allow someone to do said WORK. Including fighting those who don't want original black male characters be it comic book fans, stores or merchandisers or toxic black girl magic supporters.

Marvels third best black hero and second best black male hero into an absentee father.
    T'Challa does NOT have kids. Despite the trollfest of the X-Office.
    Falcon does not either.

Now Blue Marvel and Deathlock and Cage do have kids that they take care of. So does Prowler. Riri and Power Man 2's Dads are dead. So is Alex Wilder's.

Second best black male hero. Best black hero is dicey Storm and Black Panther switch spots by the hour.

Niffleheim

Lovecraft is an interesting one. I'm pretty sure it was reported that was cancelled because Misha Green signed a longterm deal with Apple TV and so HBO cut all ties with her. With the Blade series, you're right. That was because the shows viewership didn't line up with their advertisers demographics. All that to say, the idea Watchmen was "cancelled" because it was bad is just a weird idea.

I appreciated the one-shot made the premise work somewhat. Still saw creative approaches to the vampires with the main enemy, i liked that she brought back some of the other recurring characters like that Samurai vampire from Avengers too. It does firmly cut Blade off from the rest of the world though.
    Watchmen wasn't cancelled it was a limited series. Lovecraft Country was the one that was cancelled.

When was Falcon even a consideration to being a top ten best hero in any list?
    Last edited by Tofali; 04-09-2022 at 12:06 AM.
    "Dedra Meero is not just a woman in a men’s world, but a fascist in a world of fascists.” - Denise Gough