Page 65 of 120 FirstFirst ... 155561626364656667686975115 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    TBH, Kelli is so new as a character that I honestly didn't know what to expect from her appearance in the main GL title. The hate towards her was surprising.

Yes, exactly. A lot of people are making it sound as if RedJack chose to include all the Lanterns that he did. I'm saying that anyone who took over the book, regardless of which Lantern was going to be the 'main' Lantern, were going to have to contend with the glut of human Lanterns in the GL franchise. Even if someone like Kireon Gilleon took over there would still be people going 'why wasn't X featured/why was X featured'. These complaints aren't unique and maybe detractors should come back with something more original instead of the same tired arguments.
    I think it's the execution that's the issue. splitting the book between John's story and the rest of the Lanterns was a novel (even ambitious) idea but it didn't really give what it was supposed to give. ultimately I feel it made both stories feel awkwardly paced, half-baked, and at points made some fans feel like John's story was a back-up in a book he was supposedly headlining. personally I didn't mind the inclusion of the new Lanterns (hell i didn't really mind the two storyline concept most times ) because contrary to popular belief GL is an ensemble cast/brand so multiple Lanterns comes with the territory, but there are more skillful ways than others to balance that ensemble element out. I think thats why some people are dissatisfied.

it also probably didn't help that a lot of people hoped for a more human John story to flesh him out as a person once he got his shot to headline and this run shoved him further into space/cosmic weirdness with little room left over for that groundedness people were looking for; due to the split storylines. however, the reception I've seen has been mixed, which just means it's one of those runs that wasn't for everyone. let's just hope DC doesn't bump John off so someone else can headline and allows more tie for John to be worked one whether it's under Thorne or someone else.
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 06-30-2022 at 07:03 AM.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Come to think of it, John's story was originally supposed to be a backup.

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    I think it's the execution that's the issue. splitting the book between John's story and the rest of the Lanterns was a novel (even ambitious) idea but it didn't really give what it was supposed to give. ultimately I feel it made both stories feel awkwardly paced, half-baked, and at points made some fans feel like John's story was a back-up in a book he was supposedly headlining. personally I didn't mind the inclusion of the new Lanterns (hell i didn't really mind the two storyline concept most times ) because contrary to popular belief GL is an ensemble cast/brand so multiple Lanterns comes with the territory. but there are more skillful ways than others to balance that ensemble element out. I think thats why some people are dissatisfied.

it also probably didn't help that a lot of people hoped for a more human John story to flesh him out as a person once he got his shot to headline and this run shoved him further into space/cosmic weirdness with little room left over for that groundedness people were looking for due to the split storylines. however, the reception I've seen has been mixed, which just means it's one of those runs that wasn't for everyone. let's just hope DC doesn't bump John off so someone else can headline and allows more tie for John to be worked one whether it's under Thorne or someone else.
    I think that's more actually the popular belief about the brand because of the Corps. and the multiple Earth GL's, while in the comics other than the GLC book or certain runs there is usually a solo lead character (or pair of characters).

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think that's more actually the popular belief about the brand because of the Corps. and the multiple Earth GL's, while in the comics other than the GLC book or certain runs there is usually a solo lead character (or pair of characters).
    It really comes down to whoever DC wants to promote as their flagship character and said flagship character will be headlining the main GL book.

Quote Originally Posted by SecretWarrior View Post
    Exactly, I don't see why we're debating feelings. We feel how we feel.
    no one is debating feelings.

my only issue is when people make up and spread things that aren't true. I have this thing about lies and liars which is, I don't like them.

so, to be clear – it's perfectly fine to dislike anything in any piece of art, mine or anyone else's. that's what art is for. EVERYONE who has any opinion about or response to a piece of art is correct. ALL opinions about art are correct, even if they contradict each other.

what is not happening is spreading falsehoods about the nature of the art i.e. you can't say you hate the Mona Lisa as a terrible sculpture because it isn't a sculpture. You can't say you hate the x-wing vs tie fighter sequence in Lord of the Rings because that never happened. Well, you can say those things but they are false. If you say something that is simply false in front of me, you've got a 50/50 shot of getting checked by me, depending on my mood. That's not restricted to Green Lantern or to comic books.

I don't like false narratives, lies and liars. I'm weird like that.

As someone once said, "You're absolutely entitled to your opinion. You're not entitled to make up your own facts."

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    I think it's the execution that's the issue. splitting the book between John's story and the rest of the Lanterns was a novel (even ambitious) idea but it didn't really give what it was supposed to give. ultimately I feel it made both stories feel awkwardly paced, half-baked, and at points made some fans feel like John's story was a back-up in a book he was supposedly headlining. personally I didn't mind the inclusion of the new Lanterns (hell i didn't really mind the two storyline concept most times ) because contrary to popular belief GL is an ensemble cast/brand so multiple Lanterns comes with the territory. but there are more skillful ways than others to balance that ensemble element out. I think thats why some people are dissatisfied.

it also probably didn't help that a lot of people hoped for a more human John story to flesh him out as a person once he got his shot to headline and this run shoved him further into space/cosmic weirdness with little room left over for that groundedness people were looking for due to the split storylines. however, the reception I've seen has been mixed, which just means it's one of those runs that wasn't for everyone. let's just hope DC doesn't bump John off so someone else can headline and allows more tie for John to be worked one whether it's under Thorne or someone else.
    I think that's maybe why I might've been a bit disappointed. I wanted a more personal and grounded story since whenever I check in on John he's always deeply involved in his job. I wanted a story more about the man than the Lantern. I think Thorne is a good writer and it's nice that he interact with fans. I think he can be what Frank Miller was to Daredevil for John Stewart. I hope he gets another shot and I hope DC let's him have as much creative control and support as possible. John Stewart should've been the main Lantern from back when Justice League aired on TV. He's still Green Lantern to millions.
    Last edited by LukeCagefan; 06-28-2022 at 01:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LukeCagefan View Post
    I think that's maybe why I might've been a bit disappointed. I wanted a more personal and grounded story since whenever I check in on John he's always deeply involved in his job. I wanted a story more about the man than the Lantern. I think Thorne is a good writer and it's nice that he interact with fans. I think he can be what Frank Miller was to Daredevil for John Stewart. I hope he gets another shot and I hope DC let's him have as much creative control and support as possible. John Stewart should've been the main Lantern from back when Justice League aired on TV. He's still Green Lantern to millions.
    Well given that he’s the focus in that upcoming animated film, and the fact that Zack almost got him to appear in the Snyder cut, I think those are signs that DC wants John to be the face of the franchise.
    T'Challa
    A.K.A. The Black Panther
    King of Wakanda
    King of the Dead and The Champion of Bast
    Two-Time Time Magazine "Person Of The Year"
    Six-Time People Magazine "Sexiest Man Alive"

Quote Originally Posted by BlackClaw View Post
    Well given that he’s the focus in that upcoming animated film, and the fact that Zack almost got him to appear in the Snyder cut, I think those are signs that DC wants John to be the face of the franchise.
    It's about damn time. They left a lot of money on the table going out of their way to bench Stewart for Hal.

I agree with this.

It's about damn time. They left a lot of money on the table going out of their way to bench Stewart for Hal.
    It's about damn time indeed. John probably came late to the party, but he still came, shining more bright than ever. Despite the horrible treatment John got in the past, the fans haven't gave up on the character. And DC seems to not have gave up on the character either. And now look where he's at. He's getting his first animated solo movie, he's recognized as if he's the default Green Lantern of the Justice League, appearing in a couple of video games including a high profile one, writers like PKJ is writing him in a one-shot, his profile page at DC Comics has been updated, Zack Snyder pushed for him to be the league's lantern in the DCEU, and so on. This character has came a LOOOOONG ways.

And I don't think this push was all because of the former DC General Manager, either. It's just that people have more interest in John these days after Geoff Johns stepped down.

Quote Originally Posted by Sodam Yat View Post
    I agree with this.

It's about damn time indeed. John probably came late to the party, but he still came, shining more bright than ever. Despite the horrible treatment John got in the past, the fans haven't gave up on the character. And DC seems to not have gave up on the character either. And now look where he's at. He's getting his first animated solo movie, he's recognized as if he's the default Green Lantern of the Justice League, appearing in a couple of video games including a high profile one, writers like PKJ is writing him in a one-shot, his profile page at DC Comics has been updated, Zack Snyder pushed for him to be the league's lantern in the DCEU, and so on. This character has came a LOOOOONG ways.

And I don't think this push was all because of the former DC General Manager, either. It's just that people have more interest in John these days after Geoff Johns stepped down.
    Geoff Johns killed me with his stubbornness for Hal Jordan. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't happy to see him fail in the movie department. I feel like he was behind the whole Cyborg thing. I like Vic but not at the expense of losing John Stewart. It's too bad Bruce Timm and company remain the most beloved version of the Justice League lol.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Redjack View Post
    For the life of me I don't understand the hate and vitriol directed towards Keli. Like, just her mere presence in the story seemed to send some folks over the edge.

Which is weird because we make a point to show she's not a green lantern, she's WILDLY out of her depth, and, ultimately pays a pretty severe price for playing with the big kids before she was ready. And she's a 3rd tier character in the story.

People keep claiming they dropped the book because of her but she's barely in it.

We left her in a coma halfway through the story (she never comes out of it) and completely de-powered by the end (gauntlet gone/destroyed, beating one of the big bads).

Such an odd reaction from people I'm guessing didn't actually read the book at all as Keli's "downgrade" started in issue 1.

I guess some boys just hate girls.

Weird.
    Agreed. And in addition, something about this really undue disdain against Keli for simply existing in this book really gives off a negative vibe that makes me uncomfortable the more I dwell on and around it. I'm not sure what about it is making me this uncomfortable, but it very much is.

EDIT: (Especially since the type of story Keli has is one that'd typically garner ire for putting her character through the ringer with seemingly no positive narrative payoff for her in the book or as a character going forward. So like what was done with Duke in Bryan Hill's Detective Comics and Outsiders stories.)

And maybe I've been subconsciously putting John Stewart fans on a pedestal, but reading some of these takeaways in the last few pages has been... surprisingly disheartening.
    Last edited by J. D. Guy; 06-29-2022 at 06:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sodam Yat View Post
    I agree with this.

Yeah. The new people in charge definitely aren’t silver age fanboys like Johns was. This is only gonna help John since he’s arguably the definitive lantern for an entire generation of people thanks to the DCAU.
    T'Challa
    A.K.A. The Black Panther
    King of Wakanda
    King of the Dead and The Champion of Bast
    Two-Time Time Magazine "Person Of The Year"
    Six-Time People Magazine "Sexiest Man Alive"

Quote Originally Posted by J. D. Guy View Post
    Agreed. And in addition, something about this really undue disdain against Keli for simply existing in this book really gives off a negative vibe that makes me uncomfortable the more I dwell on and around it. I'm not sure what about it is making me this uncomfortable, but it very much is.

EDIT: (Especially since the type of story Keli has is one that'd typically garner ire for putting her character throw the ringer with seemingly no positive narrative payoff for her in the book or as a character going forward. So like what was done with Duke in Bryan Hill's Detective Comics and Outsiders stories.)

And maybe I've been subconsciously putting John Stewart fans on a pedestal, but reading some of these takeaways in the last few pages has been... surprisingly disheartening.
    yep.

just imagine if you were taking the criticism of the character into account, crafting a part of the story to address it appropriately and then seeing all of that.

I still feel there's something not-very-nice going on there and it's got nothing to do with me.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyber View Post
    Many people were excited to see John Stewart headline Green Lantern, which he hadn't done on any regular basis since the mid 1980s, and even then it was relatively very short lived. They showed up to read about him. They were not thrilled to see other characters (who they probably don't like) eating up so much panel time in the book. However much panel time they ate up was too much for many people.

There isn't much more to it than that. There isn't anything deficient, suspicious, or mindboggling about feeling that way. Just some characters people don't like that they don't want to see, and people saying so, which is totally fine.

yeah. all this was addressed. no one is talking about that or taking any of those positions. as I said, your paraphrase skills are crap. you really shouldn't try.

BANNED