Page 67 of 120 FirstFirst ... 175763646566676869707177117 ... LastLast
Results 991 to 1,005 of 1791

Quote Originally Posted by Sodam Yat View Post
    They are indeed treating him like the default GL of the Justice League as of recent I always thought him being on the JL statue was a big deal lol.

Yeah, you're right, he's explicitly a founder in the DCAU. As for other content like Suicide Squad: Kill The Justice League, he could be the founder implicitly. I guess it's safe to assume so.
    They might say he's a founder in that universe though I don't think the fact that he's the GL makes it a sure thing. I could totally be wrong though.
    Quote Originally Posted by LukeCagefan View Post
    I definitely felt he deserved to be there since it was clear as day Cyborg was nothing but a diversity insert and they had no real plan to evaluate his character. I got the feeling John's only used him to spite Stewart fans.
    I can genuinely believe Johns was a fan of Cyborg, he prominently used him in his Flash and Titans runs. I think he's probably been a fan since he saw him in Super Friends (or whatever they were calling it at that point).

I guess he could've had John come in after he wrote Hal out but then he was setting up Simon.

If Johns was a fan of a character we would know. :oints at his JSA, GL and Flash runs::

The CBR Community Guidelines & Rules
    | Report but also PM me directly

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    If Johns was a fan of a character we would know. :oints at his JSA, GL and Flash runs::
    Well, could be he feels more strongly for certain characters than others.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    He should've did a Cyborg series if he believed in and liked Vic the way you suggest. He has a ton of pull at DC. He did really nothing when him. He didn't even stand out much when he wrote him in Teen Titans as a leader. I loved the series but Cyborg wasn't one of the ones that made the series memorable.

They might say he's a founder in that universe though I don't think the fact that he's the GL makes it a sure thing. I could totally be wrong though.
    Well I think you can safely assume if nothing is explicitly stated. I'm sure most in pop culture who gets the game will assume the current JL in that game would all be founders, unless there's a story that states that this character later joined the Justice League or something. But it's all speculation right now of course

I can genuinely believe Johns was a fan of Cyborg, he prominently used him in his Flash and Titans runs. I think he's probably been a fan since he saw him in Super Friends (or whatever they were calling it at that point).

I guess he could've had John come in after he wrote Hal out but then he was setting up Simon.
    Well he did use Cyborg as a buildup in preparation for the reboot in Flashpoint, which made sense. It seemed like it was already planned to make Cyborg as a founding status with the League around that time.

And didn't other characters in his Titans run played as much of a big role as Cyborg, though?

I do think Geoff Johns is fond of Cyborg. And is a real fan of the character. But him claiming Cyborg is his top 5 all time favorite characters, eh I'm not so sure about that. He probably said it for PR reasons lol. But I could be wrong on that of course. Geoff Johns is regarded as a top tier talent and have written a lot of characters really really well, but I don't think Cyborg is one of the best characters he's ever written imo. But then again liking a character and writing him professionally are not the same thing.

And regarding John Stewart, yeah there were times where it seemed this is a good time to use John now.

While he maybe a fan he obviously was most fan of the problematic elements & version of the character which they Cy was either reset to his most problematic state or made more problematic or outright ignored until another writer tried to help /improve/ move the character forward to which character with Johns/ DC leadership response was once reset the the character/kill all the improvements. That not something unique to Cy/Johns there various fans/creative team members/ppl who wrk for comic/entertainment company that who fan of a trash/wack version of character something that John S has had to deal with aswell thru his history..

Well I think you can safely assume if nothing is explicitly stated. I'm sure most in pop culture who gets the game will assume the current JL in that game would all be founders, unless there's a story that states that this character later joined the Justice League or something. But it's all speculation right now of course
    Well, there's only four JL members in the game (discounting Batman). I'd like to think they had more members than that even if more will probably just be killed by the Squad .
    Well he did use Cyborg as a buildup in preparation for the reboot in Flashpoint, which made sense. It seemed like it was already planned to make Cyborg as a founding status with the League around that time.

And didn't other characters in his Titans run played as much of a big role as Cyborg, though?

I do think Geoff Johns is fond of Cyborg. And is a real fan of the character. But him claiming Cyborg is his top 5 all time favorite characters, eh I'm not so sure about that. He probably said it for PR reasons lol. But I could be wrong on that of course. Geoff Johns is regarded as a top tier talent and have written a lot of characters really really well, but I don't think Cyborg is one of the best characters he's ever written imo. But then again liking a character and writing him professionally are not the same thing.
    I'm not sure how long Johns had been planning to do it. Maybe he had plans if he ever got JL, which he did, although I can't say for sure.

Starfire and Cyborg were kind of the co-leaders of the team.
    And regarding John Stewart, yeah there were times where it seemed this is a good time to use John now.
    I think he actually used John some of those times, but that might just be me .
    Quote Originally Posted by 4sake Baned View Post
    While he maybe a fan he obviously was most fan of the problematic elements & version of the character which they Cy was either reset to his most problematic state or made more problematic or outright ignored until another writer tried to help /improve/ move the character forward to which character with Johns/ DC leadership response was once reset the the character/kill all the improvements. That not something unique to Cy/Johns there various fans/creative team members/ppl who wrk for comic/entertainment company that who fan of a trash/wack version of character something that John S has had to deal with aswell thru his history..
    I will agree that Johns kind of reset him back to basics especially with his drama over his condition and his dad.

Well, there's only four JL members in the game (discounting Batman). I'd like to think they had more members than that even if more will probably just be killed by the Squad .
    Oh yeah, that's true.

I'm not sure how long Johns had been planning to do it. Maybe he had plans if he ever got JL, which he did, although I can't say for sure.

Starfire and Cyborg were kind of the co-leaders of the team.
    Fair enough.

I think he actually used John some of those times, but that might just be me .
    It was only in Rebirth where he really used John and the single issue of Blackest Night.

John wasn't really used in Third Army. I remember in one issue, he only had like one dialogue. When Hal was away in the Dead Zone, Guy and Simon played bigger roles.

But as I said earlier, John came a long ways to where he's at now, so I'm grateful as a fan.

It was only in Rebirth where he really used John and the single issue of Blackest Night.

John wasn't really used in Third Army. I remember in one issue, he only had like one dialogue. When Hal was away in the Dead Zone, Guy and Simon played bigger roles.

But as I said earlier, John came a long ways to where he's at now, so I'm grateful as a fan.
    John appeared in a few arcs in Johns' early run (and was in Sinestro Corps).

I know Tomasi was writing GLC with John by that point but I guess Guy might have taken over completely. I honestly hadn't read it in a long time.

John appeared in a few arcs in Johns' early run (and was in Sinestro Corps).

I know Tomasi was writing GLC with John by that point but I guess Guy might have taken over completely. I honestly hadn't read it in a long time.
    Yeah John had appearances in Johns' early run, but he didn't really use him as a prominent character (or even a real supporting character). In his early run, John was put on an irrelevant mission that had nothing to do with the main story. There was no real purpose. His appearances were mostly just cameos and miscellaneous roles. The same applies to Sinestro Corps.

From the top of my head, John was in the Agent Orange story arc, where he didn't do anything note worthy there, other than getting his ass kicked.

He also appeared in the Zamaron story arc, where Johns tried to pair him and Fatality together, where that little build up didn't go nowhere until the end of Tomasi's run years later when he took over John. And then Van Jensen added further developments to it and fixed it (because it made no sense). It was really a half-assed development in Johns' run.

He appeared in the Alpha Lanterns storyline where he decline an offer to be an Alpha Lantern.

He also appeared in a cameo appearance fighting Hal in Hal's origin.

He retcon John to be a stoic Marine in the Blackest Night story line.

These are just from the top of my head. Basically removing John from all of that wouldn't have made a difference to the story direction and the Green Lantern mythology.

Green Lantern Rebirth and the single issue of Blackest Night is the most Geoff Johns ever did for John and that's not really saying much. Everything else is just crumbs and irrelevant stuff.

As for Peter Tomasi, Guy Gardner is his favorite Green Lantern character, which was why Guy was the most prominent. It's also the reason why in Green Lantern issue zero, Guy had an origin where John was not present in that issue and had no origin. The time John had a big role in Tomasi's run was when he was captured as a POW and Guy Gardner had to rescue him. The story lead up to the next one where John was then put on trial for killing another GL. So that's the biggest role John had in Tomasi's run. Guy was the real star there and the most heroic.

Now the most John has ever done as far as making a real difference is the recent stories.

This all started when Van Jensen and Robert Venditti took over the franchise.

John helped rebuild OA on Mogo.

Trained new recruits.

He saved the GLC by restoring the Power Battery in Lights Out!

Became the first male violet lantern, because of his strong love for the Green Lantern Corps. Which then lead to a successful rescue mission and saved the Zamerons from being killed.

Saved a planet from being literally destroyed in the end of Van Jensen's run.

Quickly ended the conflict between the GLC and Sinestro Corps by adding a failsafe Sinestro Corps rings.

It was fixed that John still had his Guardian powers.

He became a GOD and defeated Koyos, restored a destroyed OA back as new again, which saved the entire Corps from being destroyed.

So yeah, he definitely made a real difference to the mythology as a character after Tomasi's run.

This was all because of his leadership and skills as it transitioned to later stories like we seen in Cullen Bunn's run, Robert Venditti's Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps, Robert Venditti's Justice League, to now in Redjack's run

If anyone says John didn't make a difference to the mythology post Johns' era, they either haven't read recent stories or is lying lol.

Mighty Member

When is the released date for John Stewart's GL animated?

My goodness it feels like its taking forever.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Besouro View Post

End of next month.

I think that is more of John was suppose to be killed off and Simon take over but the writer left over that order.

Ultimate Member

Well if you compare how Johns did Michael Holt and Jakeem Thunder in JSA versus John in Green Lantern (or Cyborg in JLA). You do see a HUGE difference.

Those two are the main reason I have both those Johns runs.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Besouro View Post

4 weeks from now on 7/26

Astonishing Member

I agree with what you're saying. The way I see it, is that Kelli seemed like she had a lesser irrelevant presence than when Duke appeared in Tom King's Batman book and that's saying a lot.

And to be fair, keep in mind that it's only a very very small (a couple actually) amount John fans talking like that. Not the majority.
    Believe it or not, I actually think Keli was utilized better than Duke was in Tom King's Batman run. Considerably so, even. Because as relatively short-lived as it was in the story as a whole, and while also accounting for the narrative payoff in relation to her specifically (so not necessarily in relation to the story, where the narrative payoff of showing the high stakes does technically work and make sense), Keli was allowed to be an actual character, at least in the first half prior to falling into that coma (where she became a narrative symbol thenceforth), which is something that Duke wasn't permitted to be beyond the Rebirth issue, and in a much longer and larger overall story, thus exacerbating the already large negligence in the lack of Duke's use and inclusion in and throughout it. So I wouldn't say Keli's presence was irrelevant, unlike Duke's in Tom King's stories.

(That Rebirth issue gets to me to this very day. It teased so much potential for Duke and delivered on none of it, leaving Scott Snyder's All-Star Batman to pick up the slack.)