Page 100 of 120 FirstFirst ... 509096979899100101102103104110 ... LastLast
Results 1,486 to 1,500 of 1791
    Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Okay I'm interested in this, at least cause its without Jo and Keli, the deadweight from the last run.

An actual John story without unnecessary fluff, its pretty much what everyone wanted.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BohemiaDrinker View Post
    Yes, that story was terrible, and Winnick did more stuff in the same vein (like establishing John could fly faster with the ring than the others because black people are natural athletes), but it was not an attempt to degrade the character. Winnick was very big on adding diversity to the line before it was even a high profile discussion, it's just that he was really, really tone deaf. His heart was in the right place, though.
    Agreed. Winnick's DC work was a real mixed bag. His creator-owned stuff has been wonderful though. Barry Ween is my jam, even if I found his Green Arrow run to be one of the worst examples of character assassination I've seen in Big Two comics.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Am I crazy or has John's first apperance been subjected to some mandela effect where people now think John was a Black Panther militant? From my recollection Hal's first impression of John, seeing him out of context, thought of him as the stereotypical "angry black man" and questioned whether he was worthy of being a GL. But once he spoke to John, he saw a man who had to deal with systemic racism and simply not willing to accept injustice. (it wasn't that he was "anti-authoritarian" it was that "authority" was constantly against him) But now people think he was being "militant" - which to me undoes the entire point of his character's creation. Or am I really misremembering it?
    That's how I remember it, too.

It sucks to be right BohemiaDrinker's Avatar
    If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    Agreed. Winnick's DC work was a real mixed bag. His creator-owned stuff has been wonderful though. Barry Ween is my jam, even if I found his Green Arrow run to be one of the worst examples of character assassination I've seen in Big Two comics.
    I love his take on the Outsiders to this day and would love that concept/team/energy revisited. But yeah, from his outing of Kyle as "kinda sorta Latino" to his treatment of John on the same series (and there were some good moments too), he clearly didn't have much of an understanding about the issues he wanted to tackle. Then again this was 20 years, discussion was just in another place.
    ConnEr Kent flies. ConnOr Hawke has a bow. Batman's kid is named DamiAn.

To do spoiler tags, use [ spoil ] at the start of the sentence and [ /spoil ] at the end, without the spaces. You're welcome!

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    I thought Winick started really strong on Gl, but kinda petered out pretty badly.
    His Green Arrow started AWFUL, but I thought he finished off pretty well. I appreciated him attempting to make Ollie more than just a one-trick pony.
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Outsiders, some of his Batman work like Batwing and Under the Redhood. that's about it for me
    The J-man

Quote Originally Posted by married guy View Post
    I thought Winick started really strong on Gl, but kinda petered out pretty badly.
    His Green Arrow started AWFUL, but I thought he finished off pretty well. I appreciated him attempting to make Ollie more than just a one-trick pony.
    I enjoyed his Green Arrow/Black Canary run when they got hitched.

I guess probably the worst part of it was what happened to Connor (but I've seen worse).

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Refrax5 View Post
    That's the thing I always hated. Taking this intellectual, anti-authoritarian guy and turning him into an uptight military cliché.
    Yeah, I've never really liked the "Military" John, or "GI"-John angle.

Architect John, Anti-authoritarian John, GREEN LANTERN #87 John... that's the one I like best.

Hopefully, when they do get around to doing John in live-action they bring that back to the forefront. Of course, that all comes down to who is doing the writing, and of course what Warner Bros. wants.

I like what John Ridley did in issue #1 of THE OTHER HISTORY OF THE DC UNIVERSE; Jeff talking about John...

And later on in the issue coming to an understanding of who John is and appreciating that, and understanding that he doesn't have to be who you want him to be.

My dream John Stewart comic series or project would be like a 12-issue series, DC Black Label, and it would jump off from GREEN LANTERN #87, and it would be...

What happens next in the story of John Stewart, unemployed Black architect in the early 1970s?

And maybe call it GREEN LANTERN #87: THE NEXT DAY.

Or just JOHN STEWART.

Or THE ARCHITECT.

Or JOHN STEWART: THE ARCHITECT.

Anyway, looking forward to JOHN STEWART: THE EMERALD KNIGHT.

And hopefully more John Stewart in 2023.

I've tried to write something big enough for Marco to flex. He has a cinematic, naturalistic style that I LOVE and I tried to give him a cinematic story to draw.

Stuff is definitely going to happen.

Like, STUFF.

Everybody claiming this is "just a bridge" doesn't know what they're talking about. As usual.
    Last edited by Redjack; 08-14-2022 at 01:13 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Isaac Lawrence View Post
    Yeah, I've never really liked the "Military" John, or "GI"-John angle.

Architect John, Anti-authoritarian John, GREEN LANTERN #87 John... that's the one I like best.

Hopefully, when they do get around to doing John in live-action they bring that back to the forefront. Of course, that all comes down to who is doing the writing, and of course what Warner Bros. wants.

I like what John Ridley did in issue #1 of THE OTHER HISTORY OF THE DC UNIVERSE; Jeff talking about John...

And later on in the issue coming to an understanding of who John is and appreciating that, and understanding that he doesn't have to be who you want him to be.

My dream John Stewart comic series or project would be like a 12-issue series, DC Black Label, and it would jump off from GREEN LANTERN #87, and it would be...

What happens next in the story of John Stewart, unemployed Black architect in the early 1970s?

And maybe call it GREEN LANTERN #87: THE NEXT DAY.

Or just JOHN STEWART.

Or THE ARCHITECT.

Or JOHN STEWART: THE ARCHITECT.

Anyway, looking forward to JOHN STEWART: THE EMERALD KNIGHT.

And hopefully more John Stewart in 2023.
    Oh, yeah. My coworker and I have talked about how it would be cool to get Ridley on a John Stewart title someday. I always liked John to be an activist and the "thinking man's GL." A Black Label series like you describe would get my money without question.

Sooooooooooo I just saw where John will become something called the Emerald Knight and engage some evil New God called Esak (ah, they are really leaning into the Fourth World).

From the looks of the art, he's going to be a kind of samarai-esque warrior wielding what looks like an Oan energy sword thingee.

What did you guys think of this development?

Also did you guys get to see the new movie?

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis-Ray View Post
    Okay I'm interested in this, at least cause its without Jo and Keli, the deadweight from the last run.

An actual John story without unnecessary fluff, its pretty much what everyone wanted.
    Jo Mullein? Dead weight? How so?

Quote Originally Posted by Sodam Yat View Post
    This looks sickkkkkkk!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Stanlos View Post
    Sooooooooooo I just saw where John will become something called the Emerald Knight and engage some evil New God called Esak (ah, they are really leaning into the Fourth World).

From the looks of the art, he's going to be a kind of samarai-esque warrior wielding what looks like an Oan energy sword thingee.

I'm guessing you didn't read the last Green Lantern run. It happened there.

At first I was apprehensive about the switch, but now it's grown on me. I think it has a lot of potential. I'm still kind of wary of DC (really Warner) right now, but as long as John's got a good team crafting his narratives he should be fine.

I don't like the look where his body is completely green like a toy soldier with a spear, but I'm cool with the new sword fit.

Yes, I bought the Beware my Power movie. I liked it. I kind of wish it was limited series spread out over 3 to 4 episodes, but it is what it is.
    The J-man

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Stanlos View Post

Haven't seen the movie yet. I might give it a try tonight.

Not in love with the new look. I usually just like John to be a Lantern, not some godlike being.