Page 98 of 120 FirstFirst ... 4888949596979899100101102108 ... LastLast
Results 1,456 to 1,470 of 1791

Have we seen any hints that John's new series is actually coming? I hope this doesn't end up like Stargirl Special.

Astonishing Member

Probably after DCOIE.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    I really liked this analysis of John’s relationship with the ring:

Tying the ring’s ability to create anything you can imagine to John’s interest in architecture as an attempt to push back against limitations imposed on him was neat!
    Kind of reminds me a lot of John Henry Irons.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

I really liked the World Without a Justice League GL special, but I'm not sure if I quite buy this as a dream world that would spring from John's mind. It all feels a little too self-aggrandizing to me. I mean, had this been Hal or Guy's dream world, I'd totally see those two glory hounds wanting a world in which they are held up as the greatest of the greats.

But John? That doesn't just feel like him to me. That said, John certainly had a lot of swagger back in the days before Xanshi, so maybe that's still in there and this is a reflection of that.

Otherwise, this was a great read and a nice way of salvaging the concept of John's little sister after Winnick's truly excretable story that introduced her.

I enjoyed the issue it was good. The only pressing question I have that I'm sure will be resolved is....

how has Pariah been able to incinerate John and render him hostage in an alternate reality, when he has been endowed with angelic, if not demi god powers from the source? (I wonder if it is the JLA souls that are trapped in the spheres...or if they are just contained within a mutiverse world?)

I imagine were dealing with a heavy weight demonic force here empowering Pariah. Some variation of Nekron of some sort, as it appears that the villain is holding up the decapitated head of the anti monitor on a future issue of Dark Crisis.
    Last edited by Captain Nostalgia; 08-11-2022 at 12:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    I really liked the World Without a Justice League GL special, but I'm not sure if I quite buy this as a dream world that would spring from John's mind. It all feels a little too self-aggrandizing to me. I mean, had this been Hal or Guy's dream world, I'd totally see those two glory hounds wanting a world in which they are held up as the greatest of the greats.

But John? That doesn't just feel like him to me. That said, John certainly had a lot of swagger back in the days before Xanshi, so maybe that's still in there and this is a reflection of that.

Otherwise, this was a great read and a nice way of salvaging the concept of John's little sister after Winnick's truly excretable story that introduced her.
    I don’t think the worlds are coming from the heroes minds, I believe it’s Pariah who created worlds that he thought would tempt the Leaguers to stay within and not break free. I think either Williamson or King said something to that effect.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

I don’t think the worlds are coming from the heroes minds, I believe it’s Pariah who created worlds that he thought would tempt the Leaguers to stay within and not break free. I think either Williamson or King said something to that effect.
    That makes a whole lot more sense. I thought the worlds were being created from the heroes' subconsciousness.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Nostalgia View Post
    I enjoyed the issue it was good. The only pressing question I have that I'm sure will be resolved is....

how has Pariah been able to incinerate John and render him hostage in an alternate reality, when he has been endowed with angelic, if not demi god powers from the source? (I wonder if it is the JLA souls that are trapped in the spheres...or if they are just contained within a mutiverse world?)

I imagine were dealing with a heavy weight demonic force here empowering Pariah. Some variation of Nekron of some sort, as it appears that the villain is holding up the decapitated head of the anti monitor on a future issue of Dark Crisis.
    Big event villain is always unstoppable until he isn't. I don't think that there is much point in speculating why Pariah can do what he does.

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    That makes a whole lot more sense. I thought the worlds were being created from the heroes' subconsciousness.
    I think that the stories would be stronger if it was their actual dream worlds. Now it is what Pariah thinks about them and to me that sounds way less compelling.

It sucks to be right BohemiaDrinker's Avatar
    If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta

Quote Originally Posted by Sodam Yat View Post
    That same issue also explains John could’ve been in a gang, because he associated himself with the wrong people. It’s a shame that the writer can’t see beyond John’s skin color.
    Yes, that story was terrible, and Winnick did more stuff in the same vein (like establishing John could fly faster with the ring than the others because black people are natural athletes), but it was not an attempt to degrade the character. Winnick was very big on adding diversity to the line before it was even a high profile discussion, it's just that he was really, really tone deaf. His heart was in the right place, though.
    ConnEr Kent flies. ConnOr Hawke has a bow. Batman's kid is named DamiAn.

To do spoiler tags, use [ spoil ] at the start of the sentence and [ /spoil ] at the end, without the spaces. You're welcome!

Extraordinary Member

It’s been four months since Green Lantern John Stewart absorbed a Godstorm and became the Emerald Knight. Now the story of The Source’s newest champion is set to continue in an all-new 48-page one-shot due out in November. John Stewart: The Emerald Knight will come from the recent Green Lantern creative team of writer Geoffrey Thorne and artist Marco Santucci.
    John Stewart has been trapped in the dark sectors for months with the rest of his Green Lantern comrades. With the power of the Godstorm at his disposal, John’s using everything he can to take down Esak, the mad New God, and bring his fellow Corpsmen home. John will need to become something new to win the war against Esak: he’ll need to become the Emerald Knight!

Alright! I’m glad to see Thorne come back, pretty sure this a stopgap before the inevitable relaunch post-Dark Crisis. Can’t wait to read this.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Spectacular Member

Okay, I can get into this.

Let's go.

And maybe a new John Stewart series in January or something?

Nice!!! I like this cover! The glowing green eyes on John looks awesome.

I'm glad to see Geoffrey Thorne back! I'm also happy to see that Marco Santucci is doing the main art this time. He's a good artist. I think this was a good decision they made here.

Well we know there’s a John Stewart series coming but I’d be shocked if anyone other than Thorne was writing it since it seems to clearly be carrying on from where he left things. PKJ has said he wants to write GL, and that he has big plans for it, but he’s also happy on Action and would like to write that for five years. I selfishly don’t want to give him up since I’m enjoying his current run a lot and like what’s he’s doing for Supes.
    Yeah you were right that Thorne was returning. Good analysis.

Ha yeah that’s one thing I’ll ding him for, he really likes Batman and the Bat characters and is eager to use them where he can. He’s been mostly good about restraining himself but he very obviously wants to tackle that corner at some point. Alas that’s pretty much to be expected when “C-List” Batman rogues get their own animated shows while we can’t even get a GL cartoon, video game, or movie. I expect the next crop of writers to join DC will be very heavy on Batman love and less interested in the rest of the DCU. That’s what happens when you neglect the rest of your universe in favor of one IP.
    Exactly. Bat characters are everywhere at this point. I personally have no problems Jason Todd appearing in this book if there was a real good story behind him being there. Otherwise, he could be easily replaced with another character in this issue imo.