Page 112 of 120 FirstFirst ... 1262102108109110111112113114115116 ... LastLast
Results 1,666 to 1,680 of 1791
    Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shockingjustice View Post
    Found these after searching on reddit due to a reddit thread that basically amounted to everyone saying John Stewart sucks as a solo character.
    Saw that thread and ignored it. Yes, John as a character is lagging behind the rest but it is quite clear they never read any other run besides Geoff Johns run which is quite common among GL fans.

Quote Originally Posted by Redjack View Post
    all i can tell you is it will be worth the wait, it's not filler and the solicit is... not quite accurate. it's not WRONG but it's not really telling the story of what happens in this book. it's not filler or a bridge. it's a real story and it's cosmic AF.

follow marco santucci on instagram for some hints at the awesome art.
    Thanks for saying this, Redjack. This is interesting that the solicits aren't fully accurate. I'm looking forward to the story you're going to tell. After looking at some of Marco Santucci's recent wip art for Emerald Knight, I'm even more hyped to read it. Marco Santucci is an amazing artist. We're lucky to have him to do the artwork. Even though Green Lantern: The Light at the End of Forever didn't win the DC Round Robin tournament where he was the artist, it's very fortunate to have him stick around to do more Green Lantern projects as the artist.

Quote Originally Posted by HandofPrometheus View Post
    Saw that thread and ignored it. Yes, John as a character is lagging behind the rest but it is quite clear they never read any other run besides Geoff Johns run which is quite common among GL fans.
    That's pretty much what I was going to say. Most people who's been negative towards John Stewart was readers mostly from around the Geoff Johns' era. The John Stewart screenshots from DC Halloween Special – Are You Afraid Of Darkseid, pretty much proves them wrong. The writer did a good job to John's character.

This also proves that John also gets hated on as well, not just Hal like some people like to say.

BANNED

Hal, Guy, and John were The Three Musketeers to me; and, even though Kyle gets called The Torchbearer, that's John's rightful title as far as I'm concerned. In a time when the Silver Age GL Corps was largely dead or ignored in favor of Kyle's one-horse town in the comics, and Hal as GL was out of the question, John was a very fitting representative for their breed of GL in the Justice League cartoon.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sodam Yat View Post

This also proves that John also gets hated on as well, not just Hal like some people like to say.
    You'd be hard pressed to find any GL of Earth that doesn't have haters. It's the one consistent thing about GL fans. We love hating another Earth GL because we think that GL is stealing the spotlight from our favorite.

BANNED

Regarding the criticism of John not being a good leading character, I don't think that is necessarily true because I enjoyed him leading stories from the 80s and early 90s. However, I don't think DC has done a good job of answering such criticism in recent years. Not that I think they have specifically tried to. Some of the people who say things like that obviously would never be convinced otherwise because they aren't open to being convinced. Yet, some of the points lobbed at John Stewart are legitimate, and rather than dismiss them out of hand I think they would be good things for DC to consider.

When they are not considered, you may end up with things like the recent Beware My Power movie, which is a perfect example of why some people say John is not a good leading man. "Stealing" content from other characters' stories is always going to get people to bring into question the taker's merit as a character. In that film, he took Kyle's story, Hal's best friend, and Hawkman's wife to potentially build a relationship with in a future sequel (as much as I'm fond of the relationship on the JL toons), while merely adding a military veteran PTSD background (and black skin, which will get some people's interest but won't matter to many).

If John had more notable stories, relationships, rivalries, and foes then there wouldn't be much need to take from other characters. He's had some of that here and there in his history, but basically none of it is relevant anymore. I guess circumstance just hasn't played out for him to really have those things. Even when he had a prominent role in the 80s, he was basically playing in Hal's sandbox and with Hal's friends and enemies. And his time as THE Green Lantern was very short-lived. I think DC would have to make a real concerted effort with John to give him those things, the way the company did with Alan, Hal, and Kyle, and I don't think that's ever been done. It seems like it could be more difficult these days in some respects because runs are so short, leadership at the top is consistently in flux, and there are so many GL's to choose from, which means more competition for limited panel space.

He may find better luck in other media like the supposed upcoming show. But I've heard so much stuff about Green Lantern shows or movies for the past 7 or 8 years that you will actually have to show me stuff from it to get me to pay any attention to the idea of it really happening.
    Last edited by Proto Man; 11-12-2022 at 04:42 AM.

PKJ and a new artist are working on a new John Stewart: Green Lantern book!

I am all in in this, I freaking love PKJ’s Action Comics run.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post

PKJ seems like a great choice to write a John Stewart book and the description sounds on-point .

I also believe PKJ has been in communication with Geoffrey Thorne so I assume this will be building off what has been going on with John so far.

I wonder if this will also function as basically a GLC book since Hal's solo is going to be set on Earth.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    PKJ seems like a great choice to write a John Stewart book and the description sounds on-point .

I also believe PKJ has been in communication with Geoffrey Thorne so I assume this will be building off what has been going on with John so far.

I wonder if this will also function as basically a GLC book since Hal's solo is going to be set on Earth.
    PKJ has talked about wanting to flesh out the cosmic side of the DCU more, and given all his teases for the GL side have involved big cosmic threats, it’s a safe bet his time on John Stewart will be mostly focused on space. I can’t wait, he’s a world builder and DC cosmic has desperately needed someone who is going to start worldbuilding the galactic scene more. I’m sure the United Planets will play a role in what’s he’s cooking up too, given his use of them over in Action. I’m guessing the first big bad for John will be the Revenant Queen given how’s he’s been building her up. Looking forward to John finally getting a big villain who is solely his! Fingers crossed that they put a good artist on the book.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

WOW! I just read an article from screenrant and I didn't know if it was real or not!! I loved PKJ's work on John Stewart. He's a great writer with John Stewart. I can't wait to pick this up. It's nice that DC is still pushing the character.

PKJ has talked about wanting to flesh out the cosmic side of the DCU more, and given all his teases for the GL side have involved big cosmic threats, it’s a safe bet his time on John Stewart will be mostly focused on space. I can’t wait, he’s a world builder and DC cosmic has desperately needed someone who is going to start worldbuilding the galactic scene more. I’m sure the United Planets will play a role in what’s he’s cooking up too, given his use of them over in Action. I’m guessing the first big bad for John will be the Revenant Queen given how’s he’s been building her up. Looking forward to John finally getting a big villain who is solely his! Fingers crossed that they put a good artist on the book.
    This sounds promising. I really do hope that John will be doing more space adventures than adventures on Earth.

Everything makes so much sense now. PKJ is also a real John Stewart fan. He also gets the character. He's another example of a writer who seems to be really invested into John Stewart based off of the GL one shot special. I still can't get over how great that one shot was.

I'm wondering who's going to be the artist for the book? I really hope it'll be a really good one. I'm kinda wondering if Marco Santucci stick around and be the artist? He was the artist for Old Man John Stewart in DC Round Robin, Green Lantern, and now John Stewart: Emerald Knight. Marco Santucci is a really great artist.

And since it's been announced that Hal Jordan will also be the lead in a Green Lantern book, it makes me wonder whether this won't be separated books, but be like how it was originally planned to be in Green Lantern where it was supposed to be Redjack and another big name writer being on a single book.

This sounds promising. I really do hope that John will be doing more space adventures than adventures on Earth.

Everything makes so much sense now. PKJ is also a real John Stewart fan. He also gets the character. He's another example of a writer who seems to be really invested into John Stewart based off of the GL one shot special. I still can't get over how great that one shot was.

I'm wondering who's going to be the artist for the book? I really hope it'll be a really good one. I'm kinda wondering if Marco Santucci stick around and be the artist? He was the artist for Old Man John Stewart in DC Round Robin, Green Lantern, and now John Stewart: Emerald Knight. Marco Santucci is a really great artist.

And since it's been announced that Hal Jordan will also be the lead in a Green Lantern book, it makes me wonder whether this won't be separated books, but be like how it was originally planned to be in Green Lantern where it was supposed to be Redjack and another big name writer being on a single book.
    Daniel Sampere is a huge GL fan and he’s worked with PKJ before. Wouldn’t surprise me if he’s on one of the GL books, he’s said that he’ll still be at DC after Dark Crisis.

I think the plot threads that PKJ has been setting up in Action are going to get used here too. One big development he’s been building up in the Warworld Saga is that there was this Old God who was one of the first and most powerful gods to ever be. He went nuts and the other gods had to team up to kill him and shatter his body into 7 Aspects which became planets. One of those Aspects was Warworld, and I feel confident that John will be dealing with another of the Aspects in this book since the end of the Warworld Saga “woke up” the 6 other Aspects because of what Superman did there. If you’ve read and enjoyed the Warworld Saga I expect the exact same kind of tone here with John Stewart.

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by vordan View Post
    pkj and a new artist are working on a new john stewart: Green lantern book!

i am all in in this, i freaking love pkj’s action comics run.
    yesssssss!

Big things on the horizon for John. Feels great.

Could be like the current Cap books with Steve and Sam. Both have a slightly different tone and eventually crossover down the line. Though Sam's book started before Steve, while here it says John's book spins out of Hal's book so whatever happens there must feature John in some capacity as well.
    Last edited by Johnny; 11-18-2022 at 10:55 AM.