Page 54 of 120 FirstFirst ... 44450515253545556575864104 ... LastLast

Stewart and Cruz are planned to be the faces of GL in the DCEU

Context is that this guy is someone who works in the CGI part of the film industry and has inside knowledge. He’s gotten a few things right and a few things wrong but I thought he was worth sharing for now. Seems like Cruz will be the face of the GLC show and Stewart will be the face of the movie.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post

Context is that this guy is someone who works in the CGI part of the film industry and has inside knowledge. He’s gotten a few things right and a few things wrong but I thought he was worth sharing for now. Seems like Cruz will be the face of the GLC show and Stewart will be the face of the movie.
    Thanks for the link. He says this afterwards:

Sorry, Hal Jordan is set to be in GLC but the forefront of the GLC in the DCEU will be Stewart and Cruz
    I don't know whether he means Hal is going to be in the GLC show or in the DCEU movie or both?.

It's nice to see a high possibility that my favorite character could be a main character in a DCEU movie. I'm not all that surprised by it, though.

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    I'd kill for a Ridley John Stewart! i loved Other History of the DC Universe and have been enjoying his Black Panther (I like but am still on the fence about his Batman but I haven't binged it yet) but I LOVED his John Stewart valentines day story. i lost interest in Thorne's GL after a certain point, it wasn't bad but his pacing didn't do it for me and kept it from living up to the hype; just didn't hit the right notes with me. I'm ready for someone else to take a crack at John. in a perfect world, Al Ewing with any high level artist on John would be a dream come true.
    No John Ridley for me. He can't let go of an event that happened over 3 decades ago. I want a writer to have a more creative mindset and see that there's more to John than some tragedy. And we have seen that with other writers that has a better take on John, not him.

Quote Originally Posted by Sodam Yat View Post
    Thanks for the link. He says this afterwards:

I don't know whether he means Hal is going to be in the GLC show or in the DCEU movie or both?.

It's nice to see a high possibility that my favorite character could be a main character in a DCEU movie. I'm not all that surprised by it, though.
    The movie, Hal will be John’s mentor but he’ll be the deuteragonist helping John learn the ropes. People have said Beware My Power may be intended as a preview of what they want to do with the film GL, and I think they may have some ground. John was the GL of CoIE so I think that’s why they went with him initially since there’s supposedly a CoIE trilogy coming next year, but maybe it’s a case of killing two birds with one stone by also test running concepts for GL in live action.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Sodam Yat View Post
    No John Ridley for me. He can't let go of an event that happened over 3 decades ago. I want a writer to have a more creative mindset and see that there's more to John than some tragedy. And we have seen that with other writers that has a better take on John, not him.
    I'm not sure what you mean by that, he wrote John a total of what 2 times? both which were very brief outtings, of which he mentioned Xanshi one of those two times and did it far more tastefully than most writers. let's not pretend the man "can't let go" as if he spent 12 issues spinning his wheels...

Xanshi isn't the problem, mediocre writers doing a mediocre job with John has always been the problem. the solution isn't to just abandon a good writer because they mention an old story nor is it to hedge our bets on a meh writer just because they're doing an ok-ish job trying hard to do "something new". there is a balance that needs to be met, John needs a strong character driven writer who knows his history and can write with nuance. Ridley fits that bill better than most.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    I'm not sure what you mean by that, he wrote John a total of what 2 times? both which were very brief outtings, of which he mentioned Xanshi one of those two times and did it far more tastefully than most writers. let's not pretend the man "can't let go" as if he spent 12 issues spinning his wheels...

Xanshi isn't the problem, mediocre writers doing a mediocre job with John has always been the problem. the solution isn't to just abandon a good writer because they mention an old story nor is it to hedge our bets on a meh writer just because they're doing an ok-ish job trying hard to do "something new". there is a balance that needs to be met, John needs a strong character driven writer who knows his history and can write with nuance. Ridley fits that bill better than most.
    Fatality brought up Xanshi in the Valentines special, and Black Lightning brought it up in the other issue.

He needs a his character story but it should in no way reference any element of Cosmic Odyssey
    Last edited by SecretWarrior; 05-22-2022 at 08:03 PM.

If this is true then this is exciting news for me.
    T'Challa
    A.K.A. The Black Panther
    King of Wakanda
    King of the Dead and The Champion of Bast
    Two-Time Time Magazine "Person Of The Year"
    Six-Time People Magazine "Sexiest Man Alive"

It just makes sense that John would be the face of the GL franchise going forward.

He’s DC’s most popular POC character. A ton of fans still know him as the Green Lantern thanks to the JLU cartoon. The Ray Fisher situation has destroyed Cyborg’s push and DC needs more diversity on the League. It’s been over 10 years but the Green Lantern movie still has a horrible stigma and the star of that flick was Hal. The only way forward is to go with John.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    It just makes sense that John would be the face of the GL franchise going forward.

He’s DC’s most popular POC character. A ton of fans still know him as the Green Lantern thanks to the JLU cartoon. The Ray Fisher situation has destroyed Cyborg’s push and DC needs more diversity on the League. It’s been over 10 years but the Green Lantern movie still has a horrible stigma and the star of that flick was Hal. The only way forward is to go with John.
    As it should! I’m really happy that John seems to finally be getting the push he rightfully deserved all these years. Between this, the animated movie, and the comics it’s a great time to be a John Stewart fan. It also makes sense that Jessica is getting a push as well since she’s easily the new 52 lantern that took off the most (sorry Simon), she’s in DC superhero girls, was in JL vs fatal five, and is going to be in dc super pets so she pretty much the third most popular lantern after Hal and John. Really sucks for Cyborg though but then again I always felt that DC wasted his potential for the past decade.
    T'Challa
    A.K.A. The Black Panther
    King of Wakanda

Quote Originally Posted by SecretWarrior View Post
    She is the only villain who targets John specifically. I don’t know any other GL villains who specifically target a single GL. I’d rather completely boot anything related to Xanshi. Most GL villains are Corps villains, like Atrocitus who hates the Guardians more than he hates a specific Lantern. Some will disagree, but I think Sinestro is a fine adversary for John since the both have ties to Korugar. I’ve always wanted John to take on a suped up version of Mark Shaw. They’re sort reflections of each other, and Mark basically has access to Oan tech.
    Kanjar Ro is linked to John, and Grayven may also be a villain linked to John.

Would also be cool if there were a Master Mold Manhunter connected to him for some reason.
    I remember reading a couple of team up stories from the 90s with Manhunter in them and I loved his design, but I don't know much about him.

From a quick read on Wikipedia and DC Database I understand that there was a human version of Manhunter in the Golden Age and later on they created the robots in Silver Age Green Lantern. In the Bronze Age they tried to merge those two by saying that there was an android cult on earth (which is something I've never heard of before and sounds freaking awesome!).

Mark Shaw is part of that right? I still love his 90s design and there's a really interesting set up there with Manhunters having a bigger influence on earth. I would love for all of this to crossover with John Stewart stories. Why do you say mark Shaw and John are reflections of each other? Really curious

What's John history with Kanjar Ro and Grayven? I don't think I read those stories

Quote Originally Posted by BlackClaw View Post
    As it should! I’m really happy that John seems to finally be getting the push he rightfully deserved all these years. Between this, the animated movie, and the comics it’s a great time to be a John Stewart fan. It also makes sense that Jessica is getting a push as well since she’s easily the new 52 lantern that took off the most (sorry Simon), she’s in DC superhero girls, was in JL vs fatal five, and is going to be in dc super pets so she pretty much the third most popular lantern after Hal and John. Really sucks for Cyborg though but then again I always felt that DC wasted his potential for the past decade.
    Oh absolutely. I don’t think I’ve ever seen self sabotage like that with a character before. David Walker and Ivan Reis gave them the perfect version of the character and they flushed it. That Vic Stone was finally the tech god of the future that they had been trying to create and DC said “nah, let’s just revert him to tragic clunky Frankenstein.”

Extraordinary Member

I would love for John to face Graven again.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    I remember reading a couple of team up stories from the 90s with Manhunter in them and I loved his design, but I don't know much about him.

From a quick read on Wikipedia and DC Database I understand that there was a human version of Manhunter in the Golden Age and later on they created the robots in Silver Age Green Lantern. In the Bronze Age they tried to merge those two by saying that there was an android cult on earth (which is something I've never heard of before and sounds freaking awesome!).

Mark Shaw is part of that right? I still love his 90s design and there's a really interesting set up there with Manhunters having a bigger influence on earth. I would love for all of this to crossover with John Stewart stories. Why do you say mark Shaw and John are reflections of each other? Really curious

What's John history with Kanjar Ro and Grayven? I don't think I read those stories

Yeah, Mark Shaw was a part of that android cult. Here are some similarities and notable differences between him and John:

-Both characters worked for the public interest, John as a soldier and Mark as government attorney

-Both have strong social values. John's mother was a social activist or union leader, who imparted her values onto John, and John's experiences a minority and travelling the world have made him tolerant and diplomatic. On the other hand, Mark's uncle was linked to the fiersome Manhunter cult, and Mark joined when he became fed up with the government. Like other Manhunters, he's obsessed with the act of "hunting" criminals--not necessarily (social) justice.

-Both are highly trained combatants, even without power ups.

-According to his New 52 origin, John wasn't randomly selected but chosen for his abilities. Similarly, Mark was selected by the Manhunters' Grand Master.

-Both characters use Oan technology. John has his Oan power ring, and Mark has an Oan mask and power baton.

-Both characters hold a mantle that has been shared by numerous other humans, but Mark killed off some of the other human Manhunters

-The Manhunters resent their former masters the Guardians

-The Guardians have never tried to change who John is, while the Manhunters and U.S. Government have both manipulated and brainwashed Mark in the past. In other words, John has always had free will, while that’s not the case for Mark, who works with machines with little of that

-Mark is not an outright villain, as he's been a hero at times, which adds more complexity to his character

Mark would be an easy and natural fit for the Legion of Doom or Secret Society of Supervillains, while alien characters like Sinestro and Atrocitus make far less sense in that context

Kanjar Ro framed John in the DCAU, and Grayven went to war with John when he was a Darkstar.
    Last edited by SecretWarrior; 05-23-2022 at 04:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    Oh absolutely. I don’t think I’ve ever seen self sabotage like that with a character before. David Walker and Ivan Reis gave them the perfect version of the character and they flushed it. That Vic Stone was finally the tech god of the future that they had been trying to create and DC said “nah, let’s just revert him to tragic clunky Frankenstein.”
    All of this. But the future is looking bright for John. Can’t wait to see a new generation of fans grow up with him and Jessica and their favorite lantern!
    T'Challa
    A.K.A. The Black Panther
    King of Wakanda

Mark would be an easy and natural fit for the Legion of Doom or Secret Society of Supervillains, while alien characters like Sinestro and Atrocitus make far less sense in that context
    Thanks for everything you contributed. Mark Shaw really does seem like a Great Choice as an arch enemy for Big John. Would love for some writer to explore that.

And the point you make about him having an earthbound background, as well as potential for sagas in space make him a really cool to diversify where their battles could push them against each other.