Page 18 of 120 FirstFirst ... 81415161718192021222868118 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    I mean it has to be an AU, John’s got to be at least more then a decade or maybe even two older then her.

Not to mention Jo is bisexual so John may not even be her preference.
    Not really 30-40s date 20s all the time lol

BANNED

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sodam Yat View Post
    Yeah I agree, Anthony, but I don't think a story that involves racism should be in a revised John Stewart origin story imo.
    Really? Hard disagree on that. I think the character was specifically created to address race and racism.

BANNED

Last edited by SecretWarrior; 02-03-2022 at 07:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    Really? Hard disagree on that. I think the character was specifically created to address race and racism.
    Yes, the character was created specifically to address race and racism originally.

We didn't see that in John's revised origin in Van Jensen's run (although it was short). But then again his mother was a speaker and activist as we saw in Zero Year.

Which issues deal specifically with John's origin in Van Jensen's run?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    Secret Origins (Volume 3) #9

It was written by Van Jensen and published on January 28, 2015.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by 4sake Baned View Post
    Not really 30-40s date 20s all the time lol
    Just feels awkward is all I’m saying
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    The Green Lantern/Huckleberry crossover issue gave a HINT of it too.

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    Just feels awkward is all I’m saying
    Cool agrees to disagree

It sucks to be right BohemiaDrinker's Avatar
    If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    He was, yes, and there's nothing stopping the character to address those issues in present day or in a bunch of flashback stories if that's the case. However, regardless of the intention behind his creation, he is arguably the highest profile black superhero DC has, and origin stories are usually entry points. As such, "look how the world treats him as inferior because of his ethnicity" is not a good look, specially if we take kids into account. Black people want beautiful glowing flying heroes too (I know I did when I was a kid) to look up to, and that should be, IMO, the aim of a new or revised John Stewart story.

We still have Black Lightning (and real life :| )for the other stuff
    ConnEr Kent flies. ConnOr Hawke has a bow. Batman's kid is named DamiAn.

To do spoiler tags, use [ spoil ] at the start of the sentence and [ /spoil ] at the end, without the spaces. You're welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by BohemiaDrinker View Post
    ... Black people want beautiful glowing flying heroes too (I know I did when I was a kid) to look up to
    yep. all of this.

He was, yes, and there's nothing stopping the character to address those issues in present day or in a bunch of flashback stories if that's the case. However, regardless of the intention behind his creation, he is arguably the highest profile black superhero DC has, and origin stories are usually entry points. As such, "look how the world treats him as inferior because of his ethnicity" is not a good look, specially if we take kids into account. Black people want beautiful glowing flying heroes too (I know I did when I was a kid) to look up to, and that should be, IMO, the aim of a new or revised John Stewart story.

This!

I think this is one of the reasons why a lot of people of all backgrounds from what I've seen has been fond of him as a character when they watched his animated appearance in the JL/JLU cartoon show. He was never written as some outsider character, who gets wrongly treated, because of his race. He was definitely a beautiful glowing flying hero in that show. That's the character, who drew me into comics.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

I'll agree to disagree because I think John Stewart has one of the all-time great introductions, chewing out a bunch of racist cops for hassling a bunch of people for playing chess. I really don't see anyone topping that. That's as foundational to me as a dying Abin Sur handing that ring to Hal Jordan. However, I understand that John represents different things to different people. I just think, if you're going to give John a new origin, you've got to strive to keep the strongest elements of the original version.

This isn't to say that John Stewart can only be used to talk about race. He works perfectly fine in other kinds of stories, otherwise I wouldn't be a fan of the character.