Page 58 of 120 FirstFirst ... 84854555657585960616268108 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I thought I saw it when it was elongated out of her arm....because they want her to look like she's stretching without having her actually stretch .
    It's possible

Quote Originally Posted by SecretWarrior View Post
    They don’t have to have a visible connection to the ring, which is one of my points. In live action, the ring can flicker like a film projector, while the constructs look mostly independent. Ms. Marvel made some good visual choices from what I’ve seen so far.
    I totally agree, I wish they'd do that a lot more in the comics to depict how the ring works as well. For all the film's faults I can't blame them for that. And I'm pretty sure there were instances of constructs simply appearing as if from thin air as opposed to emerging from the ring.
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 06-09-2022 at 07:54 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    I totally agree, I wish they'd do that a lot more in the comics to depict how the ring works as well. For all the film's faults I can't blame them for that. And I'm pretty sure there were instances of constructs simply appearing as if from thin air as opposed to emerging from the ring.
    I wouldn't be surprised. I think that's how the swords were done, but I found them too detailed, like someone just painted real swords green, as opposed to an energy sword.

BANNED

Epic, fiery aura:

Quote Originally Posted by SecretWarrior View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised. I think that's how the swords were done, but I found them too detailed, like someone just painted real swords green, as opposed to an energy sword.

I actually like how the swords are depicted here...but to each their own!

BANNED

Can’t remember any character driven moments by John in that 12 issue run besides choosing to investigate and choosing his form. For all the problems Geoff Johns had, stuff like SCW and Secret Origin still had tons of character work rather than just plot, lore references, and teases.

Van Jensen doesn’t get enough credit at DC, but hopefully PKJ gleaned a good understanding of what John’s fans like about him.
    Last edited by SecretWarrior; 06-11-2022 at 05:25 PM.

For one thing, Geoff Thorne brought back the significance of John building worlds, and he did it in a big way. I don't think he needed the power up in order to do that, but that's another discussion.

I really liked all the interactions between John and Keli at the begining of the run. Overall, I wish Thorne hadn't destroyed the Oan Battery. I think he could've written a really great story with that set up of the Green Lanterns having these new burocratic orders and distinct assignments and classes. That whole thing about a lot of them no longer being able to function in the home sector because of the United Planets restrictions. I was totally loving what Thorne was doing before the battery attack.

Green Lantern rings automatically translate all sentient languages into the wearer's favored language except in those rare instances where the alien species doesn't have the right physiological similarities for the translator to work. This is why we have ROT LOP FAN (who is not actually a Green Lantern but an F Sharp Bell).

Jo even asks her ring what's wrong with its translation and the answer is "nothing's wrong." The fact that Keli's gauntlet was interfering with the proper function of Jo's ring is, y'know, a clue.

Additionally, there are multiple forms of Spanish as there are multiple forms of English. Keli speaks BOLIVIAN Spanish which is massively different from Puerto Rican Spanish which is different from Mexican and so on.

Keli's gauntlet disrupts Spectral energy (the kind used by Lantern rings of all kinds). It does not draw from the same forces as GL rings but rather [most likely] from the BLEED. All this is tracked through the run.

This is why it's effective during her coma-tantrum to the point where it's not clear Jo's ring can beat it and at the climactic battle when Jo uses it to punch through Koyos. Ya gotta actually READ these books or you won't be able to track everything.

As for the rest, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Not everyone is going to like every story. We do our best and move on to the next. Mileage always varies.
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 07-15-2022 at 06:52 PM.

Hey Geoff Thorne. Once again, I really loved the way you handled the United Planets stuff and I'm curious if blowing the battery was something you really wanted to do in order to have this arc with John, or if it was already the editorial plan before you came in. Also, was the United Planets stuff an editorial mandate too? The way the corps was reorganized

And if you are willing to talk about this, I'm curious about how you described John Stewart to PKJ since I think you actually do understand the character

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    Hey Geoff Thorne. Once again, I really loved the way you handled the United Planets stuff and I'm curious if blowing the battery was something you really wanted to do in order to have this arc with John, or if it was already the editorial plan before you came in. Also, was the United Planets stuff an editorial mandate too? The way the corps was reorganized

And if you are willing to talk about this, I'm curious about how you described John Stewart to PKJ since I think you actually do understand the character
    The battery destruction was an editorial mandate. So I made it different than just blowing it up.
    Keli needed fixing and fleshing out. Also it needed to be made expressly clear that she isn't a green lantern of any kind and has ZERO connection to them or their power set.

A lot of people still think she hacked the power battery and built her own gauntlet. That was established as a big ol' lie in Young Justice but some folks prefer to be mad rather than do the research to show why they shouldn't be.

The UP stuff is the logical fallout of the changes Bendis made in Superman and Justice League so, to me, it had to be dealt with. It also allowed me to address some things about the corps and the Guardians that I've never much liked/found plausible.

All that political stuff is DEAD center in arc 2 with only 500+ GLs left, maybe 50 Blue Lanterns and Star Sapphires left (each) in the universe. Sinestro is back running New Korugar and we know from this arc he's already making political moves. All that is the skeleton of arc 2. Plus the return of Guy and the fate of Kyle.

PKJ and I just talked about John together and he read all my material about John, with some focus on the flashbacks. Frankly, it seemed we were both on the same page pretty early in the conversation. If I don't get to continue I hope DC offers Green Lantern to him or Ryan Cady.
    Last edited by Redjack; 06-12-2022 at 02:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Redjack View Post
    The battery destruction was an editorial mandate. So I made it different than just blowing it up.
    Keli needed fixing and fleshing out. Also it needed to be made expressly clear that she isn't a green lantern of any kind and has ZERO connection to them or their power set.

A lot of people still think she hacked the power battery and built her own gauntlet. That was established as a big ol' lie in Young Justice but some folks prefer to be mad rather than do the research to show why they shouldn't be.

The UP stuff is the logical fallout of the changes Bendis made in Superman and Justice League so, to me, it had to be dealt with. It also allowed me to address some things about the corps and the Guardians that I've never much liked/found plausible.

All that political stuff is DEAD center in arc 2 with only 500+ GLs left, maybe 50 Blue Lanterns and Star Sapphires left (each) in the universe. Sinestro is back running New Korugar and we know from this arc he's already making political moves. All that is the skeleton of arc 2. Plus the return of Guy and the fate of Kyle.

PKJ and I just talked about John together and he read all my material about John, with some focus on the flashbacks. Frankly, it seemed we were both on the same page pretty early in the conversation. If I don't get to continue I hope DC offers Green Lantern to him or Ryan Cady.
    That's quite interesting to know. Thank for the intel. I guess I'm still one of the few on this forum that loved the way you used Keli, Jo and definitely Simon. I really liked their personal dynamics. Issue 3, 4 and 5, really made for an exciting plot simply because of how Jo, Simon and Keli were used. For the first time ever, I liked how a Lantern used technology after losing his ring. Simon really had a fun role there chasing Keli.

And I don't know if you care to talk about this, but how do you feel about the Steve Englehart stories with John Stewart in the 80s? I'm a really big fan of that mini arc in issues 217, 218 and 219, and love how John was used there.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    That's quite interesting to know. Thank for the intel. I guess I'm still one of the few on this forum that loved the way you used Keli, Jo and definitely Simon. I really liked their personal dynamics. Issue 3, 4 and 5, really made for an exciting plot simply because of how Jo, Simon and Keli were used. For the first time ever, I liked how a Lantern used technology after losing his ring. Simon really had a fun role there chasing Keli.

And I don't know if you care to talk about this, but how do you feel about the Steve Englehart stories with John Stewart in the 80s? I'm a really big fan of that mini arc in issues 217, 218 and 219, and love how John was used there.
    The only portrayal of John i dislike is the one in Cosmic Odyssey. All the others have something to offer. It's just there was no editorial consistency in how the character should be treated.

Quote Originally Posted by Redjack View Post

All of this sounds good to me, the UP politics were some of my favorite stuff from arc 1. The UP to me felt like a natural way to shake up the DC Cosmic scene which has often felt shallow in comparison to how well fleshed out Marvel Cosmic is. Really excited at the prospect to see more of it! I just hope John gets a LI, that’s the one thing he’s lacked for a while and I hope he finally gets one.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Thanks for this! I've just listened to the podcast.

So it looks like John Stewart is one of PKJ's favorite DC characters. He's also is interested in doing Green Lantern a book. From what I heard, he seems to willing to invest more into John by taking the time and speak to Geoff Thorne, who knows the character. That's a good example on what I like to hear. Way better than writers always using Cosmic Odyssey as part of a story, because they seem to not put enough effort and investment (like John Ridley). I'm excited to see what he does with John in the upcoming issue.