Page 59 of 120 FirstFirst ... 94955565758596061626369109 ... LastLast

I'm eager to see Guy and Kyle again...
    Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    All of this sounds good to me, the UP politics were some of my favorite stuff from arc 1. The UP to me felt like a natural way to shake up the DC Cosmic scene which has often felt shallow in comparison to how well fleshed out Marvel Cosmic is. Really excited at the prospect to see more of it! I just hope John gets a LI, that’s the one thing he’s lacked for a while and I hope he finally gets one.
    I feel like both DC and Marvel Cosmic are equally expansive and diverse when properly mined by the writers using them (Marvel doesn't even have a UP equivalent). People just think Marvel Cosmic is more fleshed out because of the Guardians movies and Cosmic events (does the Rann-Thanagar War predate Annihilation?).

I'm kind of curious if the UP will go the way of most governing bodies in comic books or if there will be enough of a contrast to the UP of the Legion's timeline.

Quote Originally Posted by Redjack View Post
    The battery destruction was an editorial mandate. So I made it different than just blowing it up.
    Keli needed fixing and fleshing out. Also it needed to be made expressly clear that she isn't a green lantern of any kind and has ZERO connection to them or their power set.

A lot of people still think she hacked the power battery and built her own gauntlet. That was established as a big ol' lie in Young Justice but some folks prefer to be mad rather than do the research to show why they shouldn't be.

The UP stuff is the logical fallout of the changes Bendis made in Superman and Justice League so, to me, it had to be dealt with. It also allowed me to address some things about the corps and the Guardians that I've never much liked/found plausible.

All that political stuff is DEAD center in arc 2 with only 500+ GLs left, maybe 50 Blue Lanterns and Star Sapphires left (each) in the universe. Sinestro is back running New Korugar and we know from this arc he's already making political moves. All that is the skeleton of arc 2. Plus the return of Guy and the fate of Kyle.

PKJ and I just talked about John together and he read all my material about John, with some focus on the flashbacks. Frankly, it seemed we were both on the same page pretty early in the conversation. If I don't get to continue I hope DC offers Green Lantern to him or Ryan Cady.
    Thanks for sharing this with us.
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 07-15-2022 at 06:53 PM.

BANNED

Hilarity aside, a quarter of something is a significant percentage, whether than be storytelling, revenue, or anatomy, lol. A quarter is one whole act of TV (and some films that split act 2 into two parts). That's plenty of time for someone to turn to another channel or show. Not to mention that a quarter of a year is 3 months in floppy time. 90 days. Think of something you dislike being your status quo for 90 days. It's not like there's competing John Stewart content you could turn to during that time frame.

Also, while opinions are subjective assessments, polling provides objective data on whether something is actually liked or not. With comics, that's just as if not more relevant than sales, since numbers are inflated by collectors who will buy a specific title, regardless of whether its popular or well regarded by the majority. That's why a flagship title like Green Lantern is pretty much guaranteed to outsell spinoff titles without the same history, like Green Lantern Corps, Green Lantern: New Guardians, Green Lantern: Emerald Warriors, Red Lanterns, etc. It's also why 'Tec' and Batman are pretty much guaranteed to outsell the other Bat books, regardless of fan or critical acclaim.

Trying to debate the logic of which opinion is more valid on a board without upvotes or downvotes is pointless. Based on the polling on this site and others, I do know that I haven't seen unpopular or less popular characters become more popular because of the most recent run. Some characters like Keli don't resonate with comic book readers, but do well in other mediums. As a comic book reader, I'm not interested in any kid lantern. I don't need a lore-related justification.
    Last edited by SecretWarrior; 06-13-2022 at 04:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SecretWarrior View Post
    Hilarity aside, a quarter of something is a significant percentage, whether than be storytelling, revenue, or anatomy, lol. A quarter is one whole act of TV (and some films that split act 2 into two parts). That's plenty of time for someone to turn to another channel or show. Not to mention that a quarter of a year is 3 months in floppy time. 90 days. Think of something you dislike being your status quo for 90 days. It's not like there's competing John Stewart content you could turn to during that time frame.

Also, while opinions are subjective assessments, polling provides objective data on whether something is actually liked or not. With comics, that's just as if not more relevant than sales, since numbers are inflated by collectors who will buy a specific title, regardless of whether its popular or well regarded by the majority. That's why a flagship title like Green Lantern is pretty much guaranteed to outsell spinoff titles without the same history, like Green Lantern Corps, Green Lantern: New Guardians, Green Lantern: Emerald Warriors, Red Lanterns, etc. It's also why 'Tec' and Batman are pretty much guaranteed to outsell the other Bat books, regardless of fan or critical acclaim.

Trying to debate the logic of which opinion is more valid on a board without upvotes or downvotes is pointless. Based on the polling on this site and others, I do know that I haven't seen unpopular or less popular characters become more popular because of the most recent run. Some characters like Keli don't resonate with comic book readers, but do well in other mediums. As a comic book reader, I'm not interested in any kid lantern. I don't need a lore-related justification.
    And there is no Kid Lantern. As of this run there has never been a Kid Lantern. What there is, is a tween girl who REALLY wants to emulate the Green Lanterns and has absolutely no clue how to do that. She's literally told that, more than once before getting put in a coma by an experienced Lantern who ALSO says she is overpowered and undertrained. Like, empirically, this was no love letter to Teen Lantern. She is in WAY over her head in this story and she pays the price pretty harshly.

As for the 1/4 of something being "massive," that's a matter of taste when it comes to stories. We'll have to agree to disagree. What a reader thinks should be the thrust of a story has zero bearing on what that thrust is or should be. It's just how they want it. We don't always get what we want. Not getting that isn't a fail on the part of a creator who was never trying to give you that thing in the first place. See?

Seriously. It's fine not to like something, just don't make up fake, easily debunked reasons. You don't need them. "I don't like it; it's not for me," is more than adequate.

Ultimate Member

Hilarity aside, a quarter of something is a significant percentage, whether than be storytelling, revenue, or anatomy, lol. A quarter is one whole act of TV (and some films that split act 2 into two parts). Not to mention that a quarter of a year is 3 months in floppy time. 90 days. Think of something you dislike being your status quo for 90 days. It's not like there's competing John Stewart content you could turn to during that time frame.

Green Lantern Corps actually sold but Dc choose to end it while sales were better than those other books. This franchise can support at least 2 books. We saw that with Hal Jordan and those other guys and Jessica & Simon book.

Both held their own.

Trying to debate the logic of which opinion is more valid on a board without upvotes or downvotes is pointless. Based on the polling on this site and others, I do know that I haven't seen unpopular or less popular characters become more popular because of the most recent run.
    Arista...

Who BARELY appeared in Green Lantern when New 52 started with Johns as the writer.
    Van Jensen-used her more than Johns in GLC
    Cullen used her in Lost Army before editorial screwed him.
    Tom Taylor tossed her aside in Edge of Oblivion
    Robert Venditti- used her 21 times. Where she was background most of the time.

She was MIA from November 2018-May 2021.
    Along with MIA in 2011 & 2014
    5 out of 10 years she was MIA.

Where were all her FANS before Redjack was hired? Who suddenly got mad at him over her death and claimed it was a shot at Hal.
    Where were the complaints for those writers before Redjack?
    Where were they for DC's editors who screwed over Lost Army run where she was treated with respect and push aside for Guy in Edge of Oblivion?

It's funny when it's CERTAIN writers-the critic keep their comments to themselves. While other get earfuls.

It sucks to be right BohemiaDrinker's Avatar
    If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta

I just got caught up in the thread and for the life of me can not understand how anyone can dislike Jo. She is the perfect Green Lantern. The endgame of the archetype IMHO.

But to each their own.

(And I was very happy when RedJack seemed to perfectly capture her voice. I would hate for Far Sector to be that good only for Jo ending up as generic new girl. Thankfully that didn't happen, and I hope whoever gets to wrote get in the future does as good a job).
    ConnEr Kent flies. ConnOr Hawke has a bow. Batman's kid is named DamiAn.

To do spoiler tags, use [ spoil ] at the start of the sentence and [ /spoil ] at the end, without the spaces. You're welcome!

Internet polls does not dictate the overall quality of a title among readers. There's no doubt that some feedback can somewhat be relevant nearly as much as sales. Just like how Omega Men was supposed to be cancelled sooner, but Dan Didio decided to extend a few issues, due to good feedback among fans (It probably was a PR stunt).

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Arista...

Who BARELY appeared in Green Lantern when New 52 started with Johns as the writer.

Where were all her FANS before Redjack was hired? Who suddenly got mad at him over her death and claimed it was a shot at Hal.
    Where were they for DC's editors who screwed over Lost Army run where she was treated with respect and push aside for Guy in Edge of Oblivion?

It's funny when it's CERTAIN writers-the critic keep their comments to themselves. While other get earfuls.
    Let's face it: A few was using it as a weapon to attack the book and hope that it fails, because we finally got John as the lead.

Some people is accusing John's origin being copied from Kyle and Hal (which isn't really true at all) in the upcoming Beware My Power animated film. Now that's not to say some who are fans of John believes this, but I've seen others who doesn't like John using it as a weapon to put down the character. I never really seen people do Kyle that way when his origin was identical to Hal's in the DCAU.

BANNED

And there is no Kid Lantern. As of this run there has never been a Kid Lantern. What there is, is a tween girl who REALLY wants to emulate the Green Lanterns and has absolutely no clue how to do that. She's literally told that, more than once before getting put in a coma by an experienced Lantern who ALSO says she is overpowered and undertrained. Like, empirically, this was no love letter to Teen Lantern. She is in WAY over her head in this story and she pays the price pretty harshly.

As for the 1/4 of something being "massive," that's a matter of taste when it comes to stories. We'll have to agree to disagree. What a reader thinks should be the thrust of a story has zero bearing on what that thrust is or should be. It's just how they want it. We don't always get what we want. Not getting that isn't a fail on the part of a creator who was never trying to give you that thing in the first place. See?

Seriously. It's fine not to like something, just don't make up fake, easily debunked reasons. You don't need them. "I don't like it; it's not for me," is more than adequate.
    Call it what you want, but she’s underage and makes green hard light constructs. Her creator called her Teen Lantern. She’s effectively a green lantern in the vein of Alan Scott. Let’s not be facetious.

And a quarter is significant. Imagine a company cut out a quarter of its earnings or a film studio had a fourth of its movies tank. You think no one would say anything about that? We went an entire earthly season without John using powers, which is the premise of a GL title. Floppies are not trades, and we have to wait a month for a new chapter, which affects how we receive the story, since the intermission is so long. People have been complaining about pacing in books since writers starting writing for trade rather than focusing on the monthly format.

I can criticize your creative choices like I can any other creator. I’m free to have my own opinions and to fundamentally disagree with the direction you took the book in or what you chose to invest your time on.
    Last edited by SecretWarrior; 06-13-2022 at 06:06 PM.

Call it what you want, but she’s underage and makes green hard light constructs. She’s effectively a green lantern in the vein of Alan Scott. Let’s not be facetious.
    Nope. Like I said, you don't get to make up your own facts in order to stay mad about them.

Keli is not a Green Lantern. Keli never was a Green Lantern. Her powers don't come from anything connected either to Oa OR Alan Scott.

She tried to be a Green Lantern in this book and got the crap kicked out of her, de-powered and put in what might be a permanent coma. Oh, and her power source was destroyed.

Those are the explicit facts of the story. No getting around it with word games.

Which I never play.

Call it what you want, but she’s underage and makes green hard light constructs. She’s effectively a green lantern in the vein of Alan Scott. Let’s not be facetious.
    To be fair, Alan Scott's ring is from a predecessor, who was part of the Green Lantern Corps. His ring is powered by will (and magic).

Kelli really doesn't have any connection.

BANNED

Nope. Like I said, you don't get to make up your own facts in order to stay mad about them.

Keli is not a Green Lantern. Keli never was a Green Lantern. Her powers don't come from anything connected either to Oa OR Alan Scott.

She tried to be a Green Lantern in this book and got the crap kicked out of her, de-powered and put in what might be a permanent coma. Oh, and her power source was destroyed.

Those are the explicit facts of the story. No getting around it with word games.

Which I never play.
    Lol, bruh:

Lol, bruh:

Yep. When you learn how to read instead of just looking at the pictures, we can talk again.

Lol, bruh:

It's been clarified that she's not a Green Lantern in issue 2 of the book.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Green Lantern Corps actually sold but Dc choose to end it while sales were better than those other books. This franchise can support at least 2 books. We saw that with Hal Jordan and those other guys and Jessica & Simon book.

Both held their own.

Arista...

GL outsold GLC under both the Johns and Venditti eras, because its the flagship book. It's not about quality, and yes GLC still did good numbers.

Arisia isn't a primary character. Her fans are like Huntress or Question or Wildcat fans. They like her around and don't want her killed off, but she can't hold her own book. She's in he same boat as Salaak or Kilowogg.