Page 62 of 120 FirstFirst ... 125258596061626364656672112 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by SecretWarrior View Post

I wonder if now they would've made his Star Sapphire Fatality.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I wonder if now they would've made his Star Sapphire Fatality.
    If Dwayne were involved, they'd probably completely re-do her back story like other villains on B:TAS and S:TAS

Quote Originally Posted by SecretWarrior View Post
    If Dwayne were involved, they'd probably completely re-do her back story like other villains on B:TAS and S:TAS
    As long as it's not Carol with a random accent .

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    As long as it's not Carol with a random accent .
    The may also have come up with an original Star Sapphire

Extraordinary Member

Diggle Was NEVER Going To Be Green Lantern! Mystery Box EXPLAINED!

Quote Originally Posted by mace11 View Post
    Diggle Was NEVER Going To Be Green Lantern! Mystery Box EXPLAINED!
    Well, people who really didn't care for John Diggle being assumed to be John Stewart will be happy with this.

BANNED

Neal Adams, Dave Gibbons, Bernard Chang, Jorge Jimenez, Doug Manke, Rafael Sandoval, Jesus Saiz, Jim Lee, and Bruce Timm are probably my favorite John Stewart artists. How about all of you?

BANNED

BANNED

Near Long Island. No Circus Pizza, though.

John is the second best GL (Hal is first due to nostalgia.)

He should have made more appearances in the '70s. After 1974, he literally didn't show up again until 1986. It feels like he was created for Token Minority (like Sam Wilson's brother who had AIDS on the other side of the pond.) "Stealing" (according to Tony Isabella) Black Lightning for Super Friends made Black Vulcan look like one of those when he totally wasn't.
    STAS apologist, New 52 apologist, writer of several DC fan projects.

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon16 View Post
    ... It feels like he was created for Token Minority .

People keep saying that in spite of John's creators saying the opposite. how you feel doesn't matter. Only facts matter.

The fact is John was created by two white men who felt, quite rightly, more inclusiveness and diversity was needed at DC Comics. Several creators had tried before and their efforts were either stymied, watered down to actual tokenism, remade as hideous mutants or, y'know, made blue.

John was a win in a company whose policy on race had, prior to his arrival, racked up nothing but losses. Reducing him to a "token" says more about you than it does about John.

IOW: you are seen.

Let's face it. When fans use John's race as an argument, like you only like him because he's black or they only use him because he's a token character, then what they're saying is pretty much racist at that point. They won't look beyond John's skin color and think he's inferior and can't accept the fact that some prefer him to his white counterpart. So you see some fans' true colors comes out whenever they say something like that.

I'm speaking in general btw.

Quote Originally Posted by Redjack View Post
    People keep saying that in spite of John's creators saying the opposite. how you feel doesn't matter. Only facts matter.
    To be fair, creators might have certain intentions, but their flawed execution might end up creating different situation. Not saying that this is what happened with John, but that in general we should keep that in mind when quoting creators.

Extraordinary Member

Neal had to fight to name the character John Stewart, and not the stereotypical name the PTB wanted to use.

Plus, I don't think DC had any black characters in the silver age. I know what Jim Shooter intended with Ferro Lad. Marvel had a handful (plus Wyatt Wingfoot) before the Bronze Age started.

With the current climate of division in America, I don't have time for dog whistle antics.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon16 View Post
    John is the second best GL (Hal is first due to nostalgia.)

He should have made more appearances in the '70s. After 1974, he literally didn't show up again until 1986. It feels like he was created for Token Minority (like Sam Wilson's brother who had AIDS on the other side of the pond.) "Stealing" (according to Tony Isabella) Black Lightning for Super Friends made Black Vulcan look like one of those when he totally wasn't.
    I think you mean Sam Wilson's nephew Jim Wilson. Who died of AIDS in The Incredible Hulk #420.