Page 70 of 120 FirstFirst ... 206066676869707172737480 ... LastLast
Results 1,036 to 1,050 of 1791

Quote Originally Posted by Refrax5 View Post
    I don't mind them making changes and I understand that what works in comics won't always translate to TV or animation. I don't want a direct translation of the source material either. But it is a little concerning as a fan to have creatives that don't seem to care about the source material at all and do so little research into the character to at least understand the spirit and personality of who they are. If this version is so totally divorced from the comics version, why even call him John Stewart? What's the appeal for fans?

I'm hoping that's an overly harsh assessment on my part and I'm going to approach it with an open mind. But if they really only ever read his first appearance, I feel like this might be John in name only and that's disappointing to me.

Well. if my participation can be helpful at all, I hope it's to make clear, whenever possible, that no one on the creative side is 1) incompetent 2) malicious 3) trying to screw the fans in any way.

I'm not happy with a lot of the story lines in comics I usually like or love, lately. I've dropped books I've followed for decades because of what I think are crazy editorial choices. I get it. I don't like every animated show or film that comes out based on the source material. I guess, just for me, I'd like it if folks took the temperature down a bit on the PERSONAL ASSESSMENTS and attacks. That part has bugged me since I was a kid and it still bugs me.

I don't understand why folks are always so eager to look for the hidden knife or for rooting for something to be terrible just so they can be even more mad about it later.

SOMEone is disappointed, and I mean MASSIVELY disappointed, by every comic and every movie or show, based on every comic. Lots of people are, every time. MOST of us don't make it personal, building networks of mudslingers for no reason other than it's easy and fun.

If that sounds a bit judge-y that's because it is. I've been in this hobby a lonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnng time and this is the one part of it I've always hated. We can be better about our dislikes and disappointments. No one gets everything they want.
    Last edited by Redjack; 07-02-2022 at 02:39 PM.

John did interact with Oliver Queen on JLU and the two did have rivalry of sorts that was way different from the Hal/Ollie relationship in the comics. A lot of it is because John being the stoic military guy so it's to fun to see how he interacts with more care free and loose canon types like Flash, Green Arrow and Supergirl.

I think the John/Wally dynamic was more memorable though but I think that's because Phil LaMarr and Michael Rosenbaum got to build that chemistry from day one and over the course of the whole series.

As for the movie, I think it looks good so far. I'll wait and see how some of the story elements play out over the course of the movie before judging.

The CBR Community Guidelines & Rules
    | Report but also PM me directly

Quote Originally Posted by HandofPrometheus View Post
    Yeah, Sodam you're more open about John content than me. I'm strictly stuck in a mindset with what I want with John and writers never deliver it which is why I also haven't enjoyed the recent GL run.
    I would say, I'm too much of a John Stewart fanboy, so I'm hungry for more John Stewart content and I'll eat almost anything he's featured in if you know what I mean

But yeah, I see what you mean. You're looking for something a little more specific on what you would like to see, which is nothing wrong with that.

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    My pet conspiracy theory is that Johns wanted John killed and have Simon "replace" him as non-white male Lantern. Timing with Simon is too convenient for me to ignore.
    Yeah I find it a little strange that when those rumors blew up (which later on confirmed to be true), you would think Geoff Johns, who's a BIG Green Lantern fan would've defend John or something. But he didn't. I wouldn't be surprised if he endorsed the idea.

Quote Originally Posted by SecretWarrior View Post
    Back to debating feelings and telling people how to like things *eyeroll*

Just let people process their feeling and feel how they feel instead of being an emotional tyrant, geezus.

Based on your logic, other GL fandoms can just say suck it up and take it as well. I heard that from HJ fans, and you know what, I did my own thing instead of being converted. Nothing wrong with that. I never posted in their forums and gave them their space to do what they want.

If I don't like red, stop telling me how to enjoy red. I don't ****ing want to. It's not hard to understand.

There’s no technicality or retcon that will make me like Cyborg’s face plate. I don’t care if it’s what Marv Wolfman wanted or that it’s his story.

There’s no argument about how Johns is actually the best thing to happen to John Stewart that will make me feel differently about his run. I don’t care that Ethan Van Sciver disagrees and will post here about how JS fans should know their place in the pecking order—Because that’s what some creators want.

Poster wants to see more things reference what he likes about the character. Nothing wrong with that. He's not imposing his beliefs. I'm not any less excited because he shared how he feels. In fact, it generates discussion for future adaptations and how he thinks they can be better. He’s not incompetent or brand new. He knows how to like things. A human a few minutes old can do that.

We get it, you'll toe the company line and anything a creator decides to do is what they want to do, but we can disagree and vent frustration without you bullying us about how to feel.

I don’t see Johns or Bendis taking over forums because people have negative opinions. That’s because they’re professionals.

Don't worry, you're on my ignore list.
    But SecretWarrior, I don't see any debates on feelings or nothing personal going on here as of recent.

All I see is viewpoints being shared and a fan, who's now a writer sharing some insights. I don't see anything wrong with that.

It's been a fun discussion so far

Quote Originally Posted by Redjack View Post
    I don't understand why folks are always so eager to look for the hidden knife or for rooting for something to be terrible just so they can be even more mad about it later.
    Speaking in huge generalities, I find those kind of knee-jerk negative reactions frequently come down to a lack of imagination. When given scant information that doesn't meet their expectations about a project, it's a lot easier to picture it being bad than to use their imagination to reframe their expectations into it being something good. (if they could, they'd be writers and not just fans/Monday morning quarterbacks)

Quote Originally Posted by SecretWarrior View Post
    Back to debating feelings and telling people how to like things *eyeroll*

Just let people process their feeling and feel how they feel instead of being an emotional tyrant, geezus.

Based on your logic, other GL fandoms can just say suck it up and take it as well. I heard that from HJ fans, and you know what, I did my own thing instead of being converted. Nothing wrong with that. I never posted in their forums and gave them their space to do what they want.

If I don't like red, stop telling me how to enjoy red. I don't ****ing want to. It's not hard to understand.

There’s no technicality or retcon that will make me like Cyborg’s face plate. I don’t care if it’s what Marv Wolfman wanted or that it’s his story.

There’s no argument about how Johns is actually the best thing to happen to John Stewart that will make me feel differently about his run. I don’t care that Ethan Van Sciver disagrees and will post here about how JS fans should know their place in the pecking order—Because that’s what some creators want.

Poster wants to see more things reference what he likes about the character. Nothing wrong with that. He's not imposing his beliefs. I'm not any less excited because he shared how he feels. In fact, it generates discussion for future adaptations and how he thinks they can be better. He’s not incompetent or brand new. He knows how to like things. A human a few minutes old can do that.

We get it, you'll toe the company line and anything a creator decides to do is what they want to do, but we can disagree and vent frustration without you bullying us about how to feel.

I don’t see Johns or Bendis taking over forums because people have negative opinions. That’s because they’re professionals.

Don't worry, you're on my ignore list.
    I hate the faceplate on Vic almost as much as I dislike Damian Wayne lol

I'm hoping that the suit gets an upgrade to be like his modern outfit.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sodam Yat View Post

I truly baffled by the thinking that went into this design choice.

But, maybe this is working for some, does anyone honestly think this is an improvement?

I see why he is wearing a jacket for a good deal of the movie.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Redjack View Post
    Well. if my participation can be helpful at all, I hope it's to make clear, whenever possible, that no one on the creative side is 1) incompetent 2) malicious 3) trying to screw the fans in any way.

I'm not happy with a lot of the story lines in comics I usually like or love, lately. I've dropped books I've followed for decades because of what I think are crazy editorial choices. I get it. I don't like every animated show or film that comes out based on the source material. I guess, just for me, I'd like it if folks took the temperature down a bit on the PERSONAL ASSESSMENTS and attacks. That part has bugged me since I was a kid and it still bugs me.

SOMEone is disappointed, and I mean MASSIVELY disappointed, by every comic and every movie or show, based on every comic. Lots of people are, every time. MOST of us don't make it personal, building networks of mudslingers for no reason other than it's easy and fun.

If that sounds a bit judge-y that's because it is. I've been in this hobby a lonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnng time and this is the one part of it I've always hated. We can be better about our dislikes and disappointments. No one gets everything they want.
    It wasn't my intention to judge or attack anyone personally. I just meant that I question the approach they're taking. Its one thing to change things or do your own take to tell a better story, but if it's too divorced from the source material that it's not even the same character, then what's the point?

I'm pretty sure one of the people that worked on it is the head guy from the 90s Spider-Man cartoon, so I respect him and definitely don't think he's incompetent. I didn't mean to sound as if I had anything against these guys as people.

Quote Originally Posted by HandofPrometheus View Post
    I read the interview and it seemed like the only John Stewart story they read was his first appearance. Plus they mentioned outside media influencing the story and that's bugging me because why can't they just use the John stories that already exist? Also, more military John focus so yeah. This is supposed to be John at the start of his career but nothing seems to borrow from Englehart's run and of course no Katma.
    Yeah, I honestly don't get what they are doing with this movie. Sure, can't adapt comics directly, creators want to leave their own mark and so on. I get all of that, but probably everyone has his own personal threshold when things are changed too much and you lose interest in the project.

Astonishing Member

Honestly, you're actually right. I've been looking too much at the later half of the story where she was in coma, not really doing anything. But in the earlier issues, she has been relevant there. So I sort of exaggerated. It's quite obvious that Tom King had no interest with Duke. I thought he did when he sort of hyped him up, but he decided not to go with that direction. I don't know whether it was mandated to have him in the book, because it really seemed like it. Personally, I never been a fan of Tom King's Batman or even him as a writer. The only work I liked him in was Grayson.
    Pardon the small tangent, but I really enjoyed Tom King's Robin War confrontation between Duke and Damian. King's voice for Duke was superb there and remains one of Duke's strongest early feats. So with that in mind and with the hype of the Rebirth issue, it's super sad and ridiculous how hard Tom King dropped the ball with Duke in his actual Batman run.
    Last edited by J. D. Guy; 07-06-2022 at 01:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    John did interact with Oliver Queen on JLU and the two did have rivalry of sorts that was way different from the Hal/Ollie relationship in the comics. A lot of it is because John being the stoic military guy so it's to fun to see how he interacts with more care free and loose canon types like Flash, Green Arrow and Supergirl.

I think the John/Wally dynamic was more memorable though but I think that's because Phil LaMarr and Michael Rosenbaum got to build that chemistry from day one and over the course of the whole series.

As for the movie, I think it looks good so far. I'll wait and see how some of the story elements play out over the course of the movie before judging.
    I remember one or two interactions between John and Oliver in JLU, but I don't recall any rivalry or even much in the way of conflict between them.

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post

The only time I remember John and Ollie together was in the first episode of the DCAU. Or maybe they were in that Legion episode together? I forget.

I wonder if people think of British Star Sapphire as Carol Ferris. Does she count ?

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I wonder if people think of British Star Sapphire as Carol Ferris. Does she count ?
    Olivia d'Abo also voiced Carol in both GL: First Flight and JL: Doom where she didn't have the British accent, but when she voiced her in the Lego Batman 3: Beyond Gotham video game, she once again had the British accent, so I guess she counts.