Page 72 of 120 FirstFirst ... 226268697071727374757682 ... LastLast
Results 1,066 to 1,080 of 1791

Thought I should mention this, Green Lantern: Beware My Power leaked, so beware of spoilers out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Thought I should mention this, Green Lantern: Beware My Power leaked, so beware of spoilers out there.
    Jeez! The Big Two have a big leak problem!

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Geez, what a shitshow.

The truly wretched redesign of John's usually awesome costume should have been the rip-off to all of us that this movie was going to be a disaster, but I kept hoping they could still manage something interesting.

Nope.

Pitting fandoms against each other is always a terrible idea. It only weakens the franchise. Alienating fans who might have otherwise enjoyed your product is so counterproductive, it should be common sense by now.

Yet...

Well, at least this leaked early so no one has to waste their money on this.

Such a shame, John Stewart has deserved a great solo film for years. To handicap him like this is simply idiotic.

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    Geez, what a shitshow.

The truly wretched redesign of John's usually awesome costume should have been the rip-off to all of us that this movie was going to be a disaster, but I kept hoping they could still manage something interesting.

Nope.

Pitting fandoms against each other is always a terrible idea. It only weakens the franchise. Alienating fans who might have otherwise enjoyed your product is so counterproductive, it should be common sense by now.

[...]

Such a shame, John Stewart has deserved a great solo film for years. To handicap him like this is simply idiotic.
    Whether the film is 'interesting' or not will be determined by the people who see it. The movie will rise or fall on its own merits, just like every other movie.

No one's 'pitting fandoms against each other.' No one making these films knows or cares about these petty squabbles. And they are extremely petty.

In what way does any of this "handicap" John?

The GL Hal/John fandom wars are going to be back on alas. Watch out for spoilers and don’t go to the Hal thread if you don’t want them. Will say that some John fans are going to love what they do in the movie, the writers definitely align with some peoples ideas on what to do with GL
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Redjack View Post
    Whether the film is 'interesting' or not will be determined by the people who see it. The movie will rise or fall on its own merits, just like every other movie.

No one's 'pitting fandoms against each other.' No one making these films knows or cares about these petty squabbles. And they are extremely petty.

I'll just use myself as an example. I love both John and Hal. I think they're both awesome characters and, despite the eyesore that is John's costume redesign, I was excited to watch this film.

I have no desire to watch it now.

Now, that's just me, and you may think that just one fan among many is insignificant. However, the audience for these films aren't particularly huge. Non-theatrical animated movies don't have a giant viewership. It's a niche audience. Why alienate any of that audience for no real gain?

EDIT: I'm going to delete the rest of this post. Don't want to spoil anything for anyone who might still be interested in checking out the movie.
    Last edited by Bored at 3:00AM; 07-10-2022 at 05:29 PM.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

I find that hard to believe. Or I can believe that they don't care, but are still very much aware of it.

It won't handicap John.

spoilers:
    It will probably needlessly handicap Hal a bit though. Why not just...leave him out of the movie? John's a good enough character that he could have lead this film without the need to throw Hal under the bus. And maybe it's "petty," but when Hal's character is the one on the receiving end of the hatchet job, of course his fans are going to be annoyed. There's nothing for them to feel positive about.
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by SiegePerilous02; 07-10-2022 at 05:37 PM.

I'll just use myself as an example. I love both John and Hal. I think they're both awesome characters and, despite the eyesore that is John's costume redesign, I was excited to watch this film.

I have no desire to watch it now.
    That's your right.

Now, that's just me, and you may think that just one fan among many is insignificant. However, the audience for these films aren't particularly huge. Non-theatrical animated movies don't have a giant viewership. It's a niche audience. Why alienate any of that audience for no real gain?
    1) No one who makes these movies thinks the way you describe. No one who make these things know or cares about the self-created factions and, it should be noted, those factions do not make up a significant portion of the movie audience, niche or not.

2) no one is intentionally alienating anyone. no one makes any film of this sort, specifically to upset any portion of the potential audience. no one is that petty. no one.

It's not that I have a problem with the basic premise. It was the same premise that the live action movie with Tom Cruise was going to use.
    no, it's not.

However, it's a premise that cannot be done well in a 70 minute animated feature that's only focused on one of those characters. All that will leave time for is building up one character while tearing down another, which isn't as dramatically compelling as building up the relationship between those two characters and then pitting then against each other.
    well. that's certainly one opinion. what is or isn't 'dramatically compelling' varies from viewer to viewer. If enough people disagree with your opinion, in this case, it renders that opinion moot.

bottom line, no one is thumbing their nose at the small contingent of Hal Jordan fans who exist on these message boards and twitter. Or, in fact, ANY Hal Jordan fans. THey obviously just don't share your opinion about the character. Which is, of course, absolutely allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    I find that hard to believe. Or I can believe that they don't care, but are still very much aware of it.
    Nope. I've been in a host of these writing rooms and at no time, ever, does this enter conversation or discussion of the motivation to do or not do ANYTHING with regard to a given project. never.

It won't handicap John. It will probably needlessly handicap Hal a bit though. Why not just...leave him out of the movie? John's a good enough character that he could have lead this film without the need to throw Hal under the bus. And maybe it's "petty," but when Hal's character is the one on the receiving end of the hatchet job, of course his fans are going to be annoyed. There's nothing for them to feel positive about.
    Who knows? Not you and not me. Hal is part of Green Lantern lore and canon. No more and no less. They could have chosen to ignore him entirely or they could have chosen to do what they've done (whatever that is). These fandom factions created themselves and no one is concerned, one way or the other, what that tiny subset of a tiny subset likes or dislikes. That's not how this works.
    Last edited by Redjack; 07-10-2022 at 05:54 PM.

That's your right.

1) No one who makes these movies thinks the way you describe. No one who make these things know or cares about the self-created factions and, it should be noted, those factions do not make up a significant portion of the movie audience, niche or not.

2) no one is intentionally alienating anyone. no one makes any film of this sort, specifically to upset any portion of the potential audience. no one is that petty. no one.

no, it's not.

well. that's certainly one opinion. what is or isn't 'dramatically compelling' varies from viewer to viewer. If enough people disagree with your opinion, in this case, it renders that opinion moot.

bottom line, no one is thumbing their nose at the small contingent of Hal Jordan fans who exist on these message boards and twitter. Or, in fact, ANY Hal Jordan fans. THey obviously just don't share your opinion about the character. Which is, of course, absolutely allowed.
    Can you snip out the parts that could potentially spoil anything? I tried to be vague, but I ended up deleting that stuff as I don't want to ruin anyone's enjoyment. If you want to discuss the nitty gritty of the plot, I'd be happy to do so on the Hal thread, which is rife with spoilers.

Better to keep the John thread spoiler free until people get a chance to see it for themselves.

Thanks!

When is the movie out?
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    When is the movie out?
    July 26th. Like Injustice, this one got out in the wild earlier than anyone wanted.

July 26th. Like Injustice, this one got out in the wild earlier than anyone wanted.
    Well I don't care about spoilers, the experience of watching something is different to me then knowing what happens. But also I am just going to wait and see when its out.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Thanks for the heads up.

Man, this is disappointing. I just pre-order the movie not too long ago! Since it's now leaked, everyone is giving their impressions by it