Page 22 of 38 FirstFirst ... 1218192021222324252632 ... LastLast
    BANNED

What is your favorite thing about the contrast between Peter Parker and Sergei Kravinoff?

Kraven, as I understand him, is a towering wall of ego and machismo, protecting a fragile shell of insecurity and fear. He's self-obsessed, to the point of really not caring about anything but his own needs, literalized in the hunt.

Peter is in all ways his opposite: Not that he doesn't have an ego, but that ego is in service of the greater good. It's a struggle sometimes, but, in the end, he will always make the sacrifice, put his own needs aside, in the name of that greater good. For all his flaws and failures, he's an inherently decent man.

You'll get to see Peter, without his powers, facing one of the greatest threats of his career. One of the reasons I was excited to take on

Lost Hunt was the chance to really underscore the fact that Pete's not a hero because he can climb buildings and spin webs; he's a hero because of who he is. Because of his inherent decency, his fierce will, and [his] desire to do the right thing, no matter the cost.

https://www.cbr.com/spider-man-krave...eis-interview/

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Having read that interview myself, I thought JM DeMatteis hit it on the spot when it came to Peter's core character, and what separated him from the likes of Kraven the Hunter.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

I still say swinging webs gave him that development to become a person who has a fierce will a desire to do the right things. so can't completly dismiss it
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Quote Originally Posted by Jman27 View Post
    I still say swinging webs gave him that development to become a person who has a fierce will a desire to do the right things. so can't completly dismiss it
    Fair enough, but the core of his moral character and foundation were still there. The webs might have helped bring it to the fore, but without that moral core existing in the first place, he wouldn't have been the Spider-Man we all know and love.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Fair enough, but the core of his moral character and foundation were still there. The webs might have helped bring it to the fore, but without that moral core existing in the first place, he wouldn't have been the Spider-Man we all know and love.
    True, we've seen others who lack Peter's moral code try to be Spidey most notably Doc Ock with disastrous results.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

sounds like this may be a good mini series. Nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    True, we've seen others who lack Peter's moral code try to be Spidey most notably Doc Ock with disastrous results.
    Exactly. Very much exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Rat View Post
    My new series, Spider-Man '98, kicks off with page one of 'Domain of the Goblin'

Lol that thumbnail makes it look like Spidey is trying to cop a feel at Kraven's chest.

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    Which's odd when Slott made Otto look more competent as Spider-Man than Spidey himself for a while lol.

Then again, once things got too tough when Norman showed up, he quit like a coward lil' bitch, so I guess he was "better" at dealing with smaller stuff, but not when things got actually tough.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    We all know that BND was a collective mid-life crisis from Marvel back then

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    Lol that thumbnail makes it look like Spidey is trying to cop a feel at Kraven's chest.

Which's odd when Slott made Otto look more competent as Spider-Man than Spidey himself for a while lol.

Then again, once things got too tough when Norman showed up, he quit like a coward lil' bitch, so I guess he was "better" at dealing with smaller stuff, but not when things got actually tough.
    And that happened twice, second time with an A/U Osborn that also became Spider-Man in his reality, so Otto gave up on his second or third chance at life and heroism to revert to good old Doc Ock since he couldn't beat Osborn as (the so-called Superior) Spider-Man.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    And that happened twice, second time with an A/U Osborn that also became Spider-Man in his reality, so Otto gave up on his second or third chance at life and heroism to revert to good old Doc Ock since he couldn't beat Osborn as (the so-called Superior) Spider-Man.
    That was so, so terrible lol.

Can't beat Spider-Norman, solution? Go back to his old, weaker body, and that for some reason allows him to control multiple sets of those metal arms, even though it was never pointed out he can only do that in his old body, nor did he control this many arms before (I've only seen him controlling two sets before, his usual and Adamantium ones)... So it's just an awkward asspull for Otto to go back to his usual thing instead of being a half assed hero, and it's not even an asspull they bother to explain since it was never pointed out his mind is somehow weaker in a clone of Spidey's body.

Edit:

Worth pointing out, I'm saying this as someone who finds the very idea of a terrorist like Otto being a hero, or redeemable, to be silly, 'cause guy's just a monster, but the way they made him go back to being a villain is just bad anyways, by that point he had no reason to go back in that way.
    Last edited by Lukmendes; 08-04-2022 at 04:09 PM.

That was so, so terrible lol.

Can't beat Spider-Norman, solution? Go back to his old, weaker body, and that for some reason allows him to control multiple sets of those metal arms, even though it was never pointed out he can only do that in his old body, nor did he control this many arms before (I've only seen him controlling two sets before, his usual and Adamantium ones)... So it's just an awkward asspull for Otto to go back to his usual thing instead of being a half assed hero, and it's not even an asspull they bother to explain since it was never pointed out his mind is somehow weaker in a clone of Spidey's body.

Edit:

Worth pointing out, I'm saying this as someone who finds the very idea of a terrorist like Otto being a hero, or redeemable, to be silly, 'cause guy's just a monster, but the way they made him go back to being a villain is just bad anyways, by that point he had no reason to go back in that way.
    Editorial at it's finest.

Astonishing Member

He quit only because Slott needed him to quit. Otto was his own deus ex machina, this version of him just shows up out of the blue and decides, welp, I'm tapping out.

One of the most anticlimatic endings to a Spider-Man arc ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Editorial at it's finest.
    It's depressing how that sentence can be read as non-ironic and it could be considered accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by TinkerSpider View Post
    He quit only because Slott needed him to quit. Otto was his own deus ex machina, this version of him just shows up out of the blue and decides, welp, I'm tapping out.
    Yeah it was weird, can also show that not even Otto escapes Slott's usual "plot over character" method.

One of the most anticlimatic endings to a Spider-Man arc ever.
    Yeah, Spidey doesn't even get the chance to fight for his body again, that's just given to him by Otto.

And hell, even once Spidey does a speedrun any% in defeating Norman, the way he fixes everything feels too damn fast and doesn't feel satisfactory.

Yeah, Spidey doesn't even get the chance to fight for his body again, that's just given to him by Otto.

And hell, even once Spidey does a speedrun any% in defeating Norman, the way he fixes everything feels too damn fast and doesn't feel satisfactory.
    It was the same in the cartoon. Peter and Miles couldn't beat him to get the body back so Otto had to give it up because Peter was the only one who could beat the Venom Symbiote.

They also didn't do a lot to show why Otto was a bad Spider-Man.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    It was the same in the cartoon. Peter and Miles couldn't beat him to get the body back so Otto had to give it up because Peter was the only one who could beat the Venom Symbiote.
    Sounds like Slott's run .

They also didn't do a lot to show why Otto was a bad Spider-Man.
    From what I heard, everyone started to hate on Spider-Otto too fast despite him not doing much lol.