Page 39 of 59 FirstFirst ... 2935363738394041424349 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think he's an effective physical threat. Post-death I think you can do interesting stories of Superman or other heroes having to find a way to beat Doomsday that doesn't involve Clark dying again and maybe doesn't rely on pure brawn.

I think Post-Crisis they also ended up making him sentient eventually so I think that could be interesting.
    I think the problem with sentience is that it decreases Doomsday’s threat factor (and I believe it was a plot point that he did indeed become less of a threat once he became more sentient). Doomsday being a monster more powerful than Superman who can’t be bargained with is a huge part of his appeal. It’s in contrast with how a lot of Supes other foes rely more on brains or how someone like Zod can (potentially) be a Superman level threat with nuance.

I did love that one future where Doomsday developed a conscience and reformed into becoming a hero:

And I liked how Bendis implied something similar had happened:

That definitely should be his ultimate endgame for me. Supes reforming even the monster who killed him rules. But that’s a “far future” kind of deal.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Gonna go out there and give out a controversial opinion on this board...I like Doomsday. Or more like I'm fine with Doomsday.
    I've grown to appreciate Doomsday, he's the ultimate monster for the ultimate superhero.

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    I think the problem with sentience is that it decreases Doomsday’s threat factor (and I believe it was a plot point that he did indeed become less of a threat once he became more sentient). Doomsday being a monster more powerful than Superman who can’t be bargained with is a huge part of his appeal. It’s in contrast with how a lot of Supes other foes rely more on brains or how someone like Zod can (potentially) be a Superman level threat with nuance.

I did love that one future where Doomsday developed a conscience and reformed into becoming a hero:

And I liked how Bendis implied something similar had happened:

That definitely should be his ultimate endgame for me. Supes reforming even the monster who killed him rules. But that’s a “far future” kind of deal.
    Okay where is that first image from cause it looks awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis-Ray View Post
    Okay where is that first image from cause it looks awesome
    It’s from a storyline called In the Name of Gog. I have no clue if it’s worth reading or not, that Doomsday bit is the only part I remember.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

It’s from a storyline called In the Name of Gog. I have no clue if it’s worth reading or not, that Doomsday bit is the only part I remember.
    Do you remember which series its from?

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis-Ray View Post
    Do you remember which series its from?

Looks like it was an Action arc that Chuck Austen co-wrote lol. Set expectations accordingly.

God I hope he never comes back unless it’s to kill him off. Worst Lex ever. Shannon at least rules as Zod. Don’t see a way back for Eisenberg, even if Cavill came back I doubt he’d want to bring Eisenberg with him, he’d choose Brainiac or Mongul or whoever.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

God I hope he never comes back unless it’s to kill him off. Worst Lex ever. Shannon at least rules as Zod. Don’t see a way back for Eisenberg, even if Cavill came back I doubt he’d want to bring Eisenberg with him, he’d choose Brainiac or Mongul or whoever.
    He gets killed off by his dad Lex Luthor Sr., a bald middle aged businessman.

MONKEY PRINCE #9
    Written by GENE LUEN YANG 楊謹倫
    Art and cover by BERNARD CHANG 張伯納
    Variant INHYUK LEE 이인혁
    1:25 variant cover by DEREK KIRK KIM
    $3.99 US | 32 pages | Variant $4.99 US (card stock)
    ON SALE 12/6/22
    Welcome to Metropolis, where crime is at an all-time low thanks to it being under the watchful eye of Superman—a.k.a. the perfect place for two henchpeople scientists a.k.a. Monkey Prince’s parents to find their next henchpeople gig at, right? Nope! They’re actually there to visitGrandpa…a.k.a. Ultra-Humanite?
    Lol of course Yang is the next one to pick up Ultra-Humanite after Morrison. Looking forward to this.

What do you think they should do with him? As someone who likes him I’m curious what you’d like to see done with him given he mostly exists to remind people how he killed Supes that one time. What kind of plots or stories could he star in that let him still affect Superman’s ongoing narrative in a way that lives up to him being the one who killed Supes? He’s firmly ingrained into Superman’s Mythos at this point, but the problem is other than retelling his one story nobody seems to know what to do with him. The idea of Doomsday as a virus that brings out the worst in others has potential but I’m unsure how to reconcile that with regular old boney Hulk Doomsday.
    I think the virus idea is perfect.

Doomsday fails because people keep trying to turn it into a character. Doomsday isn't a character, and never was. Doomsday is a plot device. A natural disaster. And making it a virus? After the last couple years does anyone need a run down on how that could be applied to countless stories?

* Clark Kent has to investigate rumors that a sample of the virus is being sold in a black market auction. Who's looking to buy? More importantly, who's looking to sell, how'd they get the sample, and what's Clark gonna do when he finds out?

* The new regime of the failed nation of Pokolistan (home of villains "Russian Zod," Ignition, etc.,) found a sample of the virus in the ruins of the once advanced country, and have used it to turn their military into a unique breed of super soldier. Clark must find out what Pokolistan's new rulers intend; world domination, or just safety and security for their people? Did they truly master this dangerous virus, or are those soldiers really just ticking time bombs?

* Superman crash lands on a planet where the entire sentient population was infected. Stranded with no friends, no resources, and no way off world, Clark has to find a way to survive a planet where every living thing is trying, and capable, of killing him. Give that planet a red sun if you really wanna get hardcore (I would).

* Once, in a moment of panic, Superman banished a Doomsday to the Phantom Zone, not considering that it adapts to any environment. Now the Fortress of Solitude is receiving a distress call from the Zone; Xa-Du is desperate. Why? What's happening in the Zone, is Clark really going to enter it to help some of his most devoted enemies? Or is it all just one of Xa-Du's tricks?

* Oh noes! Jimmy Olsen drank what he thought was a soda, but was in fact the Doomsday virus! Superman and special guest star Ray "Atom" Palmer must battle Doomsday....from *inside* Jimmy! Will our heroes purge the virus from Jimmy's bloodstream, or is Superman's Pal.....dare we say.....DOOMED?

If Doomsday is a virus, then you've got a threat on several levels. It can be a pure physical threat, someone the virus has completely infected and taken over, like presumably the original Doomsday was. Beyond the contagious phase but capable of murdering the hell out of Kryptonian level beings. Or it can fuel stories that have nothing to do with Doomsday the monster, it can just be a goal of the villain or a hazard for Clark to deal with. You can deal with a Doomsday and wrap up a story any way you like; kill it, banish it, whatever, and later bring in a new one without having to worry about continuity.

Doomsday as a virus is basically kryptonite that can punch back. You can basically do anything with it.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Lol of course Yang is the next one to pick up Ultra-Humanite after Morrison. Looking forward to this.
    Sounds like his parents have worked for Ultra-Humanite for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I think the virus idea is perfect.

Doomsday fails because people keep trying to turn it into a character. Doomsday isn't a character, and never was. Doomsday is a plot device. A natural disaster. And making it a virus? After the last couple years does anyone need a run down on how that could be applied to countless stories?

* Clark Kent has to investigate rumors that a sample of the virus is being sold in a black market auction. Who's looking to buy? More importantly, who's looking to sell, how'd they get the sample, and what's Clark gonna do when he finds out?

* The new regime of the failed nation of Pokolistan (home of villains "Russian Zod," Ignition, etc.,) found a sample of the virus in the ruins of the once advanced country, and have used it to turn their military into a unique breed of super soldier. Clark must find out what Pokolistan's new rulers intend; world domination, or just safety and security for their people? Did they truly master this dangerous virus, or are those soldiers really just ticking time bombs?

* Superman crash lands on a planet where the entire sentient population was infected. Stranded with no friends, no resources, and no way off world, Clark has to find a way to survive a planet where every living thing is trying, and capable, of killing him. Give that planet a red sun if you really wanna get hardcore (I would).

* Once, in a moment of panic, Superman banished a Doomsday to the Phantom Zone, not considering that it adapts to any environment. Now the Fortress of Solitude is receiving a distress call from the Zone; Xa-Du is desperate. Why? What's happening in the Zone, is Clark really going to enter it to help some of his most devoted enemies? Or is it all just one of Xa-Du's tricks?

* Oh noes! Jimmy Olsen drank what he thought was a soda, but was in fact the Doomsday virus! Superman and special guest star Ray "Atom" Palmer must battle Doomsday....from *inside* Jimmy! Will our heroes purge the virus from Jimmy's bloodstream, or is Superman's Pal.....dare we say.....DOOMED?

If Doomsday is a virus, then you've got a threat on several levels. It can be a pure physical threat, someone the virus has completely infected and taken over, like presumably the original Doomsday was. Beyond the contagious phase but capable of murdering the hell out of Kryptonian level beings. Or it can fuel stories that have nothing to do with Doomsday the monster, it can just be a goal of the villain or a hazard for Clark to deal with. You can deal with a Doomsday and wrap up a story any way you like; kill it, banish it, whatever, and later bring in a new one without having to worry about continuity.

Doomsday as a virus is basically kryptonite that can punch back. You can basically do anything with it.
    Damn when you put it like that thats a really good character concept.

I especially like the story ideas. Number 2 is my favorite, the idea of a rogue nation attaining an army of Doomsday super soldiers does make for a decent reoccurring antagonist. Like how say Green Arrow has Count Vertigo who runs his own little country.

Sounds like his parents have worked for Ultra-Humanite for a while.
    One of them actually being a relative of his would be interesting.