Page 55 of 59 FirstFirst ... 545515253545556575859 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Any thoughts on Ulysses from the Men of Tomorrow arc?

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis-Ray View Post

I found it it was a nice twist to the Superman concept. You could argue than it is another "evil Superman" to the rogue gallery and you will be right, but the twist than basically Ullises is enemy of Superman by doing exactly the same as Superman is something than deserves to be explored further.
    Design-wise however is really boring.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

I actually reread that stuff recently and I am surprised to say I like him? Far as “Evil Supermen” go I enjoyed him as a deconstruction of the Byrne Superman, the guy who rejects his birth heritage and is desperate to prove his loyalty to his adopted homeworld. Johns execution of him didn’t really pull off his full potential, but I definitely would like to see another writer take a stab at him. He and the Machinist were interesting concepts that needed to get used more.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

That just reminds me of when Johns took over the main Superman book again after it felt like the title had been meandering across several different writers and then he left as quickly as he came in .

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    That just reminds me of when Johns took over the main Superman book again after it felt like the title had been meandering across several different writers and then he left as quickly as he came in .
    Would almost be funny that he did the “sets up big stuff for Superman and then bails before following through” twice if it didn’t piss me off something fierce.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Would almost be funny that he did the “sets up big stuff for Superman and then bails before following through” twice if it didn’t piss me off something fierce.
    I assume this was the second time, what was the first?

I assume this was the second time, what was the first?
    New Krypton. He was setting that up to be Superman’s Sinestro Corps War and then he bailed to focus on Blackest Night.

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

But not before giving him a new power! We all remember the classic "Sunburst" power where he could supernova but was left human for 24 hours, right? Right?

...right?
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

Quote Originally Posted by exile001 View Post
    But not before giving him a new power! We all remember the classic "Sunburst" power where he could supernova but was left human for 24 hours, right? Right?

...right?

Oh and somehow he was the only one who lost his powers ,when any other with the sunburst ability didn't
    Created from 2 of the greatest men,made with 2 powersets thst are both SUPER,and has 2 cool asf looks and attitudes.

I recall him being vaguely interesting. I thought he was mostly just a bland rehash of the "evil Superman" troupe, though he was better than many others who've walked that same path. Overall though, he ended up feeling less than the sum of his parts.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    I remember reading that! Wonder how the whole “Terra-Man is powerless” on Earth would have worked.
    I think the idea could apply very, very well if you had a “Metropolis is a mad mush-mash of different alien and future-tech” and then added in something like Terra-Man’s reputation across the Galaxy being such that there’s some “no hero in his hometown” stuff going on here, especially with a Superman and the Justice League to act as his jailers.

Like:

“The Terran with no name has blown his way out of cells on Oa, Apokilips, and Almerac, partially thanks to his gang and partially thanks to having stolen a Brainiac drone and hooked its knowledge of technology up to his cyborg brain, leaving Kryptonian tech the only thing capable of holding him. At the same time, his gang is crazy enough to take on the Guardians, Maxima, or even Darkseid, but not Superman - because you’re in for a boring, boring time when he captures you.”

…Or maybe just shorten it up to “Superman has the only Phantom Zone projector” as the answer.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Mxy is the main villain of a new Justice League game:

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

That's very cute and I can already hear some Wonder Woman posters in particular complaining that Diana is driving a car but Superman flies.

Ignoring the fact that she looks like a total baller in that vehicle.
    May we never forget:

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Daddy Zeus can hit the bricks.
    Truer words never spoken.

Funniest thing about all the claims about how Superman can’t work in a video game is that with Mxy, you’ve got a reality warped who can arbitrarily raise or lower his power level on a whim. Cool to see this, can’t compared with the WW and Batman games the other have gotten/are getting, but at least the SS game where Supes is evil (again) won’t be the only thing coming out.