Page 16 of 111 FirstFirst ... 61213141516171819202666 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    Lor-Zod as Superboy could be interesting....

Man having 3 almost exactly the same age super guys is a Lil much, they all 3 need their own thing, not just getting the others scraps.

Lor now was loyal to his dad and full kryptonian last we saw him fully, he wasn't mutated by the PZ or doesmt have the nightwing entity connected to him. Maybe he will just be used as a foul for Jon or kon
    Created from 2 of the greatest men,made with 2 powersets thst are both SUPER,and has 2 cool asf looks and attitudes.

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    I'm fine with that. Atleast we could pay off Matt's amnesia plot that way.

Scion fits Lor-Zod as a name.

Matt has been wasted over in the TA book, and him being found to be a SB clone or JLK would help get him away from thst sinking ship.

Scion is one of the names I like for kon(Smallville even made his episode called scion), but being the house of zods heir would be cool for him too. Lor doesnt need to be a full blown villian, hell I don't think zod is either, and black Adam, they both are anti heroes, Lor can certainly he a young version of that
    Created from 2 of the greatest men,made with 2 powersets thst are both SUPER,and has 2 cool asf looks and attitudes.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperX View Post
    Matt has been wasted over in the TA book, and him being found to be a SB clone or JLK would help get him away from thst sinking ship.

Scion is one of the names I like for kon(Smallville even made his episode called scion), but being the house of zods heir would be cool for him too. Lor doesnt need to be a full blown villian, hell I don't think zod is either, and black Adam, they both are anti heroes, Lor can certainly he a young version of that
    Yeah, the most interesting stuff in the Superman side of the DCU came when they finally stopped with the "last son of Krypton" editorial mandate.

Sure, in the old days you had Zoners... and hey.. technically Lor-Zod counts there, but they were kinda.... temporary in the old days. New group of zoners different evil plan...etc... Having actual lasting Kryptonian antagonists changes the formula a lot. So having a sort of Spider-man vs Venom rivalry would spice up Superboy stories a lot.

His sexuality is as big a character trait for Kon as red hair is for wally west. So is it OK for DC to just change his hair color just because some want it even though his hair as been thst way for longer than most have been alive?

Conner /Kon is more than quips and hitting stuff, yes he is those 2 things, but he is much more, and the more is what makes him who he is, and what a true longtime fan of his would fight to keep part of him..
    See, I think that your "true longtime fan" line shows that you missed the point I was trying to make. That makes it sound like you're claiming to be superior to other fans of the character and are entitled to ownership over defining who the character is. We don't own this character. We don't get to define him. DC is allowed to develop him as they see fit. Fans can hope for whatever changes or interpretations they want. Starting fights over this is silly and could alienate potential fans of the character, reducing his popularity and chances he keeps appearing in comics, TV, etc.

I also think you somewhat misunderstand the meaning of "character trait." You cited red hair as a character trait of Wally, for instance. How does that affect the core of the character? I think you'd agree that that's like saying Commissioner Gordon in The Batman isn't really the same character because his skin color is different. Or, more relevant to our exchange, saying SB is no longer himself anytime his costume changes. Heck, I hated the t-shirt look at first, but I kept following the character.

I think imagining changes to a character is a pretty normal part of being an invested fan. I don't see speculating his sexuality changing as any more "fanfic" than speculating changing his eye color to green, giving him a new costume, and/or altering his continuity to include the New 52 version.

And of course I know that Conner is more than quips and hitting stuff. But if I were asked to describe him to someone with no understanding of who he is, his sexuality would not be at the top of my list. If we were discussing Hawaii SB almost 30 years ago, then maybe. But not in his current iteration. Besides, if you go back and read early SB, I think you'd agree that the forced kisses planted on strangers, inappropriate comments excused as flirting, etc. has not aged well.

Like I said at the outset, I hate seeing this argument on here. I just don't think it's constructive. So I'd like this post to be the last time I address it (I'm not holding my breath though). Nonetheless, I'd be interested to hear your honest response to a couple of questions:

1.) If asked to describe Kon, what three basic characteristics would you use?

2.) If his character were written as homosexual (but the same character in every other way) in a new, in-continuity book, would you not buy it?

(For me: 1. Clone of Superman/Luthor, always striving to be better, and a loyal friend & 2. Yes, of course)

I think Matt is actually a amnesiac Jon lane met from the end of the new 52 superboy series.
    Yikes. Jon Lane Kent, Match, Lor Zod, Conner, and Jon? Plus the possibility of Chris Kent out there somewhere?

I want DC to be able to use their whole catalogue of characters but this sure would make it hard for our boy to stand out.

From @Kalhuset on Twitter:

FNgXmXFWUAMVV0C.jpg

"The New Outsiders"
    Tim Drake as Cardinal
    Conner Kent as Valor
    Bart Allen as Mercury
    Cassie Sandsmark
    Empress
    Blue Beetle
    Artemis

I really like Conner as Valor and I'm digging Bart as Mercury too.

Scion just fits Lor-Zod better. He could have a pompous air to him that wouldn't fit Conner or John.

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Krummet View Post

FNgXmXFWUAMVV0C.jpg

"The New Outsiders"
    Tim Drake as Cardinal
    Conner Kent as Valor
    Bart Allen as Mercury
    Cassie Sandsmark
    Empress
    Blue Beetle
    Artemis

I don't feel Conner as Valor but I liked the design.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 03-11-2022 at 08:25 AM.

FNgXmXFWUAMVV0C.jpg

"The New Outsiders"
    Tim Drake as Cardinal
    Conner Kent as Valor
    Bart Allen as Mercury
    Cassie Sandsmark
    Empress
    Blue Beetle
    Artemis

That is some great art.
    Seeing Bart in a blue costume just feels weird for some reason though.

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    Yeah, the most interesting stuff in the Superman side of the DCU came when they finally stopped with the "last son of Krypton" editorial mandate.

Sure, in the old days you had Zoners... and hey.. technically Lor-Zod counts there, but they were kinda.... temporary in the old days. New group of zoners different evil plan...etc... Having actual lasting Kryptonian antagonists changes the formula a lot. So having a sort of Spider-man vs Venom rivalry would spice up Superboy stories a lot.

I like the Hybrids being introduced into the SUPER family ie kon, Jon, and cir, I love thst they have different powers (TK, Amp, red sun), but also that there might be actual more full blood kryptonians in the zone, and have a reverse Viltrumite attitude toward mixing their species with others., could create a whole dynamic bursting with story and conflict potential. Wish they didn't get rid of new krypton, having kon and Jon interacting with full bloods there would have been fun.

See, I think that your "true longtime fan" line shows that you missed the point I was trying to make. That makes it sound like you're claiming to be superior to other fans of the character and are entitled to ownership over defining who the character is. We don't own this character. We don't get to define him. DC is allowed to develop him as they see fit. Fans can hope for whatever changes or interpretations they want. Starting fights over this is silly and could alienate potential fans of the character, reducing his popularity and chances he keeps appearing in comics, TV, etc.

I also think you somewhat misunderstand the meaning of "character trait." You cited red hair as a character trait of Wally, for instance. How does that affect the core of the character? I think you'd agree that that's like saying Commissioner Gordon in The Batman isn't really the same character because his skin color is different. Or, more relevant to our exchange, saying SB is no longer himself anytime his costume changes. Heck, I hated the t-shirt look at first, but I kept following the character.

I think imagining changes to a character is a pretty normal part of being an invested fan. I don't see speculating his sexuality changing as any more "fanfic" than speculating changing his eye color to green, giving him a new costume, and/or altering his continuity to include the New 52 version.

And of course I know that Conner is more than quips and hitting stuff. But if I were asked to describe him to someone with no understanding of who he is, his sexuality would not be at the top of my list. If we were discussing Hawaii SB almost 30 years ago, then maybe. But not in his current iteration. Besides, if you go back and read early SB, I think you'd agree that the forced kisses planted on strangers, inappropriate comments excused as flirting, etc. has not aged well.

Like I said at the outset, I hate seeing this argument on here. I just don't think it's constructive. So I'd like this post to be the last time I address it (I'm not holding my breath though). Nonetheless, I'd be interested to hear your honest response to a couple of questions:

1.) If asked to describe Kon, what three basic characteristics would you use?

2.) If his character were written as homosexual (but the same character in every other way) in a new, in-continuity book, would you not buy it?

(For me: 1. Clone of Superman/Luthor, always striving to be better, and a loyal friend & 2. Yes, of course)

Of cours I'm answering to this, with not nearly as many words as you did too.

Kon is my favorite, I've read every version, Ive found good things about every version, and yes they are not all the same,if some time down the road a writer comes in a totally takes kon out of character in one and only one way, sure I will still follow him, aslong as everything jives with what has come before or adds to him in a way thst makes sense.

Wally has red hair, Ollie uses a bow, Hal is a pilot, a fan can tell you right away what is and isn't consistent with the character they love, I can tell you that with Kon, I'm assuming you can too.

Yikes. Jon Lane Kent, Match, Lor Zod, Conner, and Jon? Plus the possibility of Chris Kent out there somewhere?

I want DC to be able to use their whole catalogue of characters but this sure would make it hard for our boy to stand out.

It's easy for any of them to stand out they have unique traits thst are easily recognizable. Look at the Robin's, they can be looked at by some as all the same, so why bother with them all, but fans see them as unique unto themselves.

Just powers alone they all have differences in their power sets, amd that's just a start.

a fan can tell you right away what is and isn't consistent with the character they love, I can tell you that with Kon.
    So I repeat my first question, albeit rephrased: what are the three basic, "consistent" characteristics you would use to describe him?

Hopefully I didn't use too many words for you this time.

Another "Valor" Kon from @Kalhuset:

Valor 2.jpg

FNgXmXFWUAMVV0C.jpg

"The New Outsiders"
    Tim Drake as Cardinal
    Conner Kent as Valor
    Bart Allen as Mercury
    Cassie Sandsmark
    Empress
    Blue Beetle
    Artemis

Cassie as Fury, Tim as Cardinal OR Rook, Bart as Impulse, but I can see Bart wanting to homage max.

Valor is cool, I even like the shield, it's one of many I have on lists I have on here for new superhero names for Conner

Quote Originally Posted by carl krummet View Post
    so i repeat my first question, albeit rephrased: What are the three basic, "consistent" characteristics you would use to describe him?

Hopefully i didn't use too many words for you this time.

His DNA isn't consistent, it went from altered human to hybrid,.yes its more consistent now, but it hasn't been, so thst is just as good or bad as my example of his being with, and loving females. Actually him being with females has been more of a consistent thing than his DNA.

Being a good friend has been very consistent, and expand that to be a good on teams, which he has always been on (bring back the Ravers DC).

Never giving up has been consistent for sure, from ol hank to Prime he fights the never ending battle until he can't.