Page 95 of 111 FirstFirst ... 4585919293949596979899105 ... LastLast
Results 1,411 to 1,425 of 1660

A timeskip would've helped Conner and his friends feel more mature. Bendis's YJ and the new 52 era felt the opposite.

Plus DC has a fetish for keeping the Silver age guys youthful so the younger legacies get screwed over.

It is what it is.

I'm hoping the new Superboy series and his role on Team Super uses him well.

At the very least I hope they give him a new code name soon. He can’t be Superman with Jon and Kenan already claiming that title, but he really should not be Superboy any longer. Let Osul go by that name.

For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

I'm fond of Supernova or Superstar. Scion is too pretentious for Kon or Jon and fits Lor-Zod the most.

Spectacular Member

I think Supernova is the best compromise. Scion could work if they play up the Luthor angle though.

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    I'm fond of Supernova or Superstar. Scion is too pretentious for Kon or Jon and fits Lor-Zod the most.
    Quote Originally Posted by Monari View Post
    I think Supernova is the best compromise. Scion could work if they play up the Luthor angle though.
    And there lies my problem was supernova. The older Connor gets the less like supernova he is. Yes if you keep him young super nova Superstar all that works very well but we're trying to get him to be aged up to his rightful age and that won't work it's not fitting the character that he's he is or grown into.
    Created from 2 of the greatest men,made with 2 powersets thst are both SUPER,and has 2 cool asf looks and attitudes.

Quote Originally Posted by scourge View Post
    I wish they'd just have him come out already. And yeah, that article is poorly written...like most BleedingCool. But a second, edited version is probably going to be up today or something. Since that's how it usually goes.
    I'm sorry but speaking as another gay guy both you and Monari and snorting some major copium if you think a title pun is some sort of "evidence". I mean did you even read the actual article itself it's largely just a story recap.

The simple truth is whatever chance there was of DC making Conner queer died once Jon came-out and it made international news, being the bisexual Superman/Superboy is now intrinsically tied to Jon character and brand and DC not going to dilute that or potentially confuse audiences by outing another black-haired, blue-eyed super guy or similar height and build.

Now 10/15 years from now... Who knows? Writers and editors change and the landscape of comics shift as are the characters who are currently being pushed but if a bisexual Conner is something you're waiting on well I don't know what else to say but that you're going to be left waiting.
    Last edited by walk; 11-21-2022 at 02:18 PM.

Just have Conner use Kon-El as his new codename, it was his first name and unlike a lot of these other suggestions has actual personal significance to him as getting it was a big moment for him, plus it'd just be nice to bring it back into common use.

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by walk View Post
    I'm sorry but speaking as another gay guy both you and Monari and snorting some major copium if you think a title pun is some sort of "evidence". I mean did you even read the actual article itself it's largely just a story recap.

The simple truth is whatever chance there was of DC making Conner queer died once Jon came-out and it made international news, being the bisexual Superman/Superboy is now intrinsically tied to Jon character and brand and DC not going to dilute that or potentially confuse audiences by outing another black-haired, blue-eyed super guy or similar height and build.

Now 10/15 years from now... Who knows? Writers and editors change and the landscape of comics shift as are the characters who are currently being pushed but if a bisexual Conner is something you're waiting on well I don't know what else to say but that you're going to be left waiting.
    Its really dependent on someone caring. I mean really actually caring from a storytelling perspective and wanting figure out what could be a good direction for these characters instead of just using it as a marketing spectacle and clout.

Its like they'll shill Jon to everyone who can hear but pretty much put the shaft to everyone else. My boys Apollo and Midnighter are right there and they barely get anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis-Ray View Post
    Its really dependent on someone caring. I mean really actually caring from a storytelling perspective and wanting figure out what could be a good direction for these characters instead of just using it as a marketing spectacle and clout.

Its like they'll shill Jon to everyone who can hear but pretty much put the shaft to everyone else. My boys Apollo and Midnighter are right there and they barely get anything.
    Well Jon's Superman son, no matter what way you may personally feel about it or him as a character that carries with it an inherent degree cultural clout, him being LGBTQ icon is more significant socially and marketable than say the clone Clark barely interacts with or the gay Batman/Superman knock-offs.

Although unlike a lot of other people I've never felt Conner not being Superman "son" ever hurt him, for the first 10 years of his publication he had no genetic relation to Big Blue and held a title just fine based purely on strength of his personality, that's what's always been Conner defining trait and why he's endeared all these years, his character not his DNA.

Just have Conner use Kon-El as his new codename, it was his first name and unlike a lot of these other suggestions has actual personal significance to him as getting it was a big moment for him, plus it'd just be nice to bring it back into common use.
    He already does use it, and it’s not really a “code name”. It’s just… his Kryptonian name. He could not have a superhero name and stick to Kon/Conner, but I just think that’s lame personally, like sticking him in t-shirt and jeans while everyone else gets proper costumes.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    He already does use it

Gonna need receipts, last time I recall anyone saying Kon-El aloud on page was back in the NEW 52 where it was retconned into a slur for clones which you could keep with idea being Conner reclaiming the word for himself.

I'm not too bothered about Conner getting an elaborate new codename like Supernova because they almost never stick and it's almost guaranteed he'll go back to Superboy at some point because much like his black t-shirt design it's all far too tied to his image within the public zeitgeist at this point.

Gonna need receipts, last time I recall anyone saying Kon-El aloud on page was back in the NEW 52 where it was retconned into a slur for clones which you could keep with idea being Conner reclaiming the word for himself.

I'm not too bothered about Conner getting an elaborate new codename like Supernova because they almost never stick and it's almost guaranteed he'll go back to Superboy at some point because much like his black t-shirt design it's all far too tied to his image within the public zeitgeist at this point.
    Hm you know actually you might be right, it’s been a while since they’ve actually called him Kon on the page, but it’s still his name. They’ve brought over his 90s canon which means the part where he got that name from Clark is canon too. It’s just that “Conner” has become more common to use since that’s the name the YJ cartoon used (and of course I’m sure Johns pushed to make everyone use Conner). But using that as his “code” name would be like how Bendis made Tim go by “Drake” for a bit. It’s just not a proper code name.

Sure Conner is heavily associated with Superboy, but Dick was Robin for much longer and he was able to successfully graduate to Nightwing. Ditto Jason for Red Hood. I don’t think it’s impossible to give Conner a new name, especially since they’ve started adapting Jon as Superboy outside of comics as well. Times ripe to give him a new code name I’d say.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperX View Post
    And there lies my problem was supernova. The older Connor gets the less like supernova he is. Yes if you keep him young super nova Superstar all that works very well but we're trying to get him to be aged up to his rightful age and that won't work it's not fitting the character that he's he is or grown into.
    Conner's not that old to begin with. Supernova fits someone in their twenties.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 11-21-2022 at 05:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Hm you know actually you might be right, it’s been a while since they’ve actually called him Kon on the page, but it’s still his name. They’ve brought over his 90s canon which means the part where he got that name from Clark is canon too. It’s just that “Conner” has become more common to use since that’s the name the YJ cartoon used (and of course I’m sure Johns pushed to make everyone use Conner). But using that as his “code” name would be like how Bendis made Tim go by “Drake” for a bit. It’s just not a proper code name.

Sure Conner is heavily associated with Superboy, but Dick was Robin for much longer and he was able to successfully graduate to Nightwing. Ditto Jason for Red Hood. I don’t think it’s impossible to give Conner a new name, especially since they’ve started adapting Jon as Superboy outside of comics as well. Times ripe to give him a new code name I’d say.
    They seem to have problems switching codenames nowadays. They tried to change Luke Fox persona couple months ago and looks like it failed miserable cause he is back as Batwing in I am Batman. And of course, the whole Drake fiasco.

I'm trying to remember who was the last character that changed his original codename to another successfully.

Not everybody can be Roy Harper that change his names like he change his clothes.
    DC: Dick Grayson, Wally West, Donna Troy, Yara Flor, Titans

Some of my favorite Mangas: One Piece, Slam Dunk, Fullmetal Alchemist, HunterXHunter, Vinland Saga, Monster, Berserk, Vagabond.
    Current reading: Jujutsu Kaisen, Chainsaw Man, Spy X Family, Kaiju Nº8, Blue Lock, Dandadan.

Quote Originally Posted by Drako View Post
    They seem to have problems switching codenames nowadays. They tried to change Luke Fox persona couple months ago and looks like it failed miserable cause he is back as Batwing in I am Batman. And of course, the whole Drake fiasco.

I'm trying to remember who was the last character that changed his original codename to another successfully.

Not everybody can be Roy Harper that change his names like he change his clothes.
    The Luke Fox name change was pointless though, there’s nobody else he has to “share” the code name with, and no real reason why he would change. Conner is in a different situation. He’s too old at this point for Superboy, but he can’t be Superman. He’s right at that Dick Grayson transitioning into Nightwing period where you could easily give him a new name (and a new costume) to mark a new era in his life. I really don’t think it’s impossible to pull off, I’ve seen plenty of suggestions for a new name that I’ve liked. DC just has to not pick a crappy one.