Page 95 of 165 FirstFirst ... 4585919293949596979899105145 ... LastLast
Results 1,411 to 1,425 of 2464
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Pretty much this. Yeah, we've got every right to be pissed off with this development, but the great thing about mainstream superhero comics is that no status quo, no matter how hated or loved, lasts indefinitely, so we just have to outlast current (mis)management.
    Yeah and the more Ben is in the public consciousness, the better. A status quo I don't like is preferable to a death which has less chance of being reversed at this point. I remember what a mess Jason Todd was for years after his resurrection, ping ponging from sympathetic tough guy to violent antihero to full on psycho maniac before DC straightened him out and now he's a fan favorite. I want him back to his old self, but at least he's around and as the saying goes, where there's life, there's hope.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Sr. Bungle View Post
    I have the following fear:
    Dark Web sells pretty well and Marvel thinks they made the right choice w/Ben
    Or
    Dark Web sells poorly and Marvel thinks that Ben doesn't move books and leave him as he is now because they don't care anymore
    I suppose that's possible, but Marvel is very aware of the backlash to this, so if people just don't read it, I think they're more likely to get the picture.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Refrax5 View Post
    Yeah and the more Ben is in the public consciousness, the better. A status quo I don't like is preferable to a death which has less chance of being reversed at this point. I remember what a mess Jason Todd was for years after his resurrection, ping ponging from sympathetic tough guy to violent antihero to full on psycho maniac before DC straightened him out and now he's a fan favorite. I want him back to his old self, but at least he's around and as the saying goes, where there's life, there's hope.
    I'm of this mind as well. I'd rather have Ben alive than dead for 25 years again

Mighty Member

https://twitter.com/nick_lowe_/statu...VmyEmuTug&s=19

I don't know what to think about this answer
    That's PR for "You're right, he's basically just Venom only we got to do our customers dirtier this time. But I can't just say that because it makes me look as incompetent as you all know I am." If you have to deny he's a Venom rip off, then he's already a Venom rip-off. If you have to go on Twitter to deny it, then you're basically just confirming it AND looking stupid while you do so.

Nick Lowe can say whatever he wants. Deny whatever he wants. He's a proven LIAR where Ben is concerned. This is the same guy who said that Beyond would do right by Ben.

But nobody should be surprised. Marvel has been conflating fan outrage with engagement for decades. It's why they continue to publish trash, and make no effort to improve. And, sadly, they may even be right, because people keep right on buying. Me? I dropped every Marvel book I was reading. Even Daredevil, which I've collected for more than 25 years. I'm done being exploited by a predatory company that ACTIVELY mocks fans of their characters. I would personally recommend that every fan of Ben Reilly do the same. I know most won't, and that's fine. It's a choice everyone has to make for themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroBG82 View Post
    If you have to deny he's a Venom rip off, then he's already a Venom rip-off’
    i don't know if the validity of an accusation is proven via the accused rebuking the accusation.
    troo fan or death

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by boots View Post
    i don't know if the validity of an accusation is proven via the accused rebuking the accusation.
    I'll stick with my "wait and see" approach

I'll stick with my "wait and see" approach
    that's fair. i'm a little beyond that now, personally. other than some forum curiosity, current ben could collapse back into a dust pile again tomorrow and i'm fine with that.

but i can't read people's minds and wasn't privy to any of the writer's rooms at marvel so i can't make any serious calls on the sincerity or lack thereof from lowe. i have a feeling, based on what i know of writers and artists (and public relations) that he is genuinely doing what he believes is good for the character... as misguided or incompetent or simply different to my take as that may be.
    troo fan or death

Quote Originally Posted by Refrax5 View Post
    I wouldn't be so sure. The backlash has been pretty huge. That caused them to quickly reverse course in the past. I honestly don't expect this Chasm thing to last too long. I know Marvel sucks sometimes, but I keep thinking about how quickly they jettisoned the new Scarlet Spider costume, explained Ben's insanity and set him on a path to redemption and ultimately "fixed" him in Spider-Geddon, all due to fan backlash.
    Agreed. Superior Octopus was an antagonist in one arc before becoming Spider-Man again and getting a own ongoing. Venom also became an anti-hero after several arcs. I think the same will happen with Ben. Perhaps in the Dark Web ending, he will turn his back on Madelyne and prove that he can be a hero even without Peter's memories. I don't like having his memories taken away, but I can give the Chasm a chance if he's a hero and not a villain.

Incredible Member

Just had a thought, about Ben’s original death and him turning to dust… maybe when Spidercide tried to save him in issue 5, Spidercide’s DNA corrupted Ben’s own, which lead to him no longer being a perfect clone? Could explain that mystery away, finally.

Adding to that, it could also be said that having corrupted DNA from Spidercide in his DNA, influenced his mind during the Clone Conspiracy era, along with that mess that turned him into Chasm….

I’m just desperate to find a way to redeem Ben from the butchering they’ve done to our boy.
    Last edited by Blanks; 07-01-2022 at 01:45 PM.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blanks View Post
    Just had a thought, about Ben’s original death and him turning to dust… maybe when Spidercide tried to save him in issue 5, Spidercide’s DNA corrupted Ben’s own, which lead to him no longer being a perfect clone? Could explain that mystery away, finally.

Adding to that, it could also be said that having corrupted DNA from Spidercide in his DNA, influenced his mind during the Clone Conspiracy era, along with that mess that turned him into Chasm….

I’m just desperate to find a way to redeem Ben from the butchering they’ve done to our boy.
    I'm personally of the opinion that Spidercide should ultimately save Ben by waking up and giving Ben back the foundational memories of being Peter Parker that Beyond stripped from him. Would be a great "full circle" kind of thing.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Incredible Member

Totally agree with you on that.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    I'm personally of the opinion that Spidercide should ultimately save Ben by waking up and giving Ben back the foundational memories of being Peter Parker that Beyond stripped from him. Would be a great "full circle" kind of thing.
    Yep, alternatively Ben could bust Spidercide out of the vault and try to buddy up to him, and in a twist on things it's Spidercide's turn to feel like the morally upstanding one and sides with Peter. So Spidercide could become a new brother for Peter.

I know Dan Slott already tried to do this with a Gwen clone, but if Spidercide ever gets a civilian identity, I think I'd like it to be Abel Parker/Reilly -- obviously because it sets up the "Cain and Abel" dichotomy but also because Spidercide is "able" to do so much more than his brothers.

-Pav, who wonders if 'Cide will show up in the Lost Hunt...
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.
    You know what it means when he comes back

"You're not the better one, Peter. You're just older."
    --------------------
    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my school! DM for details

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Rat View Post
    Yep, alternatively Ben could bust Spidercide out of the vault and try to buddy up to him, and in a twist on things it's Spidercide's turn to feel like the morally upstanding one and sides with Peter. So Spidercide could become a new brother for Peter.
    That would be a good twist.

Quote Originally Posted by Pav View Post
    I know Dan Slott already tried to do this with a Gwen clone, but if Spidercide ever gets a civilian identity, I think I'd like it to be Abel Parker/Reilly -- obviously because it sets up the "Cain and Abel" dichotomy but also because Spidercide is "able" to do so much more than his brothers.

-Pav, who wonders if 'Cide will show up in the Lost Hunt...
    "Abel Parker" or "Abel Reilly" would be good names for Spidercide.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroBG82 View Post
    That's PR for "You're right, he's basically just Venom only we got to do our customers dirtier this time. But I can't just say that because it makes me look as incompetent as you all know I am." If you have to deny he's a Venom rip off, then he's already a Venom rip-off. If you have to go on Twitter to deny it, then you're basically just confirming it AND looking stupid while you do so.

Nick Lowe can say whatever he wants. Deny whatever he wants. He's a proven LIAR where Ben is concerned. This is the same guy who said that Beyond would do right by Ben.

But nobody should be surprised. Marvel has been conflating fan outrage with engagement for decades. It's why they continue to publish trash, and make no effort to improve. And, sadly, they may even be right, because people keep right on buying. Me? I dropped every Marvel book I was reading. Even Daredevil, which I've collected for more than 25 years. I'm done being exploited by a predatory company that ACTIVELY mocks fans of their characters. I would personally recommend that every fan of Ben Reilly do the same. I know most won't, and that's fine. It's a choice everyone has to make for themselves.
    I agree with you. Unfortunately too many noobs will continue to support this trash of a company. I’m hoping they go bankrupt again and either dc or image comics buys them. They seem to write better material when it comes to comics and their heroes. Oh well, at this point just bury Ben and continue with the crummy Peter stories.