Page 1 of 93 123451151 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 1394
  1. #1
    Spectacular Member JustLuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2021
    Location
    Somewhere, in a galaxy far far away...
    Posts
    212

    Default Ben Reilly: Spider-Man/Scarlet Spider Appreciation 2022

    Thread dedicated to Benjamin Reilly, the former Scarlet Spider and currently the Sensationa-*ahem*, Amazing Spider-Man!
    clean.jpg
    Let's hope that great things come for Ben this year and Beyond!

  2. #2
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    1,756

    Default

    As so-so as Beyond has been overall, I still can’t believe Ben is alive and actually Spider-Man again. That’s definitely something I never thought I’d see again for a long time after he was killed off.

  3. #3
    Spectacular Member Reilly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    164

    Default

    I hope for the best. Ben going back to our lives after so many years is amazing feeling. The way he was brough back is THE WORST way possible though. And for that I (and probably every Ben fan) can never forgive Slott, he destroyed him completly. BUT! after some time, Ben was finally brough back on the right tracks. He is Spider-Man, and to me he'll always be the best Spider-Man ever. I wish Beyond was a better story, but I hope he'll get the chance to be amazing and most importantly... SENSATIONAL!

  4. #4
    Radioactive! Spiderfang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    New York-94
    Posts
    571

    Default

    So not only is Ben back, but also old villains and allies are returning? How far has this new series progressed - I'm debating on collecting Spencer's run since that has concluded, but might hold out for this.
    The city I once knew as home is teetering on the edge of radioactive oblivion

  5. #5
    Incredible Member xpyred's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    866

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Reilly View Post
    I hope for the best. Ben going back to our lives after so many years is amazing feeling. The way he was brough back is THE WORST way possible though. And for that I (and probably every Ben fan) can never forgive Slott, he destroyed him completly. BUT! after some time, Ben was finally brough back on the right tracks. He is Spider-Man, and to me he'll always be the best Spider-Man ever. I wish Beyond was a better story, but I hope he'll get the chance to be amazing and most importantly... SENSATIONAL!
    I don’t necessarily have a problem with how Ben was brought back. It makes sense from a comic standpoint that the Jackal would have tried to clone Ben from the ashes. The part about Ben becoming insane and what not seemed to make a bit of sense in Clone Conspiracy. It was that Scarlet Spider series when Ben is a complete a-hole that made me hate the comeback. The whole “reboot” insanity/death thing was stupid. But sadly, Beyond is super boring.

  6. #6
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    86,920

    Default

    Happy New Year to Ben and his fans .

  7. #7
    Spectacular Member Obsidian Spider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    188

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by xpyred View Post
    I don’t necessarily have a problem with how Ben was brought back. It makes sense from a comic standpoint that the Jackal would have tried to clone Ben from the ashes. The part about Ben becoming insane and what not seemed to make a bit of sense in Clone Conspiracy. It was that Scarlet Spider series when Ben is a complete a-hole that made me hate the comeback. The whole “reboot” insanity/death thing was stupid. But sadly, Beyond is super boring.
    Agreed. I actually like how he was brought back but they lost me when he gave the order to kill Peter like some run-of-the-mill villain. And his solo series was just completely wrong but he’s back and swinging and I couldn’t be happier.

    Well, I guess I could be happier if the Beyond story seemed like it was going somewhere. I’d be fine with the classic villain in the shadows pulling the strings trope at this point.

  8. #8
    Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    New Jersey, U.S.A.
    Posts
    15,262

    Default

    In short, Ben is back as Spider-Man, but so far, aside from Janine Godbe (formerly Elizabeth Tyne) being in his life again, there's almost nothing of his unique past or previous supporting cast or rogues' gallery involved in the story. I've been waiting on Kaine/Scarlet Spider to show up with something to say about Ben acting as Spider-Man after what went down between them in The Clone Conspiracy and then PAD's Ben Reilly: The Scarlet Spider series. And I would very much like Ben and Carolyn Trainer/Lady Octopus to fight each other again, or even have Joystick from the Great Game (and later a short-lived Thunderbolts stint) return to fight Ben as well. Speaking of the Great Game, I could see Beyond secretly running a new version as a recruiting pool for potential agents and operatives to support Ben as Spider-Man, or even supplant him in the event they feel he's just not getting the job done.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

  9. #9
    Spectacular Member JustLuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2021
    Location
    Somewhere, in a galaxy far far away...
    Posts
    212

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    I've been waiting on Kaine/Scarlet Spider to show up with something to say about Ben acting as Spider-Man after what went down between them in The Clone Conspiracy and then PAD's Ben Reilly: The Scarlet Spider series.
    I believe it was confirmed that Kaine won't be showing up during Beyond, unfortunately. Whatever happens after Beyond is fair game though. Maybe he learns about the whole fiasco after it's all over or something.

    Honestly though, I have the feeling that the main reason Kaine hasn't showed up yet is that, and I hate saying this, Ben and Kaine have become too similar overtime.
    Can't take full credit for this (I've had this convo before with someone on twitter), but like, Ben was originally meant to be Marvel's answer for a "younger" more youthful version of Peter, but once they did OMD, they had a younger more naive Peter Parker in...well, Peter Parker. So once they brought Ben back they had to make him the edgier Peter Parker, which Kaine already was, so the line between the two got muddied. They used to be contrasts of one another, but now they can't really do that anymore, unless when they bring Kaine back they end up doing a major shake-up in status quo for the character. Doesn't help that Ben is arguably the more famous/well known Spider-Clone in comparison.

    So yeah, I understand why Kaine has been in limbo, even if I don't necessarily like it. They probably have no real idea what to do with him anymore, as sad as that is.
    Last edited by JustLuke; 01-01-2022 at 04:24 PM.

  10. #10
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    1,756

    Default

    I’m thinking of starting a Ben Reilly (and Kaine) themed podcast this year. There’s a number of Spidey podcasts, but nothing dedicated just to Ben. I’m thinking of episodes like ‘why do I like Ben?’, ‘how is Ben different from Peter?’, ‘the loves of Ben’, ‘where did Ben visit during his years on the road?’, ‘why ‘Wizard’ and toxic fandom targeted Ben for death’ and so on, and also reviewing some issues from the clone saga. Maybe I’ll also ask people in this thread to call in or leave messages with their thoughts on Ben as well. I often make new year resolutions that don’t come to pass so maybe it’ll never come together, but if it does I’ll keep you guys posted.

  11. #11
    Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    New Jersey, U.S.A.
    Posts
    15,262

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JustLuke View Post
    I believe it was confirmed that Kaine won't be showing up during Beyond, unfortunately. Whatever happens after Beyond is fair game though. Maybe he learns about the whole fiasco after it's all over or something.

    Honestly though, I have the feeling that the main reason Kaine hasn't showed up yet is that, and I hate saying this, Ben and Kaine have become too similar overtime.
    Can't take full credit for this (I've had this convo before with someone on twitter), but like, Ben was originally meant to be Marvel's answer for a "younger" more youthful version of Peter, but once they did OMD, they had a younger more naive Peter Parker in...well, Peter Parker. So once they brought Ben back they had to make him the edgier Peter Parker, which Kaine already was, so the line between the two got muddied. They used to be contrasts of one another, but now they can't really do that anymore, unless when they bring Kaine back they end up doing a major shake-up in status quo for the character. Doesn't help that Ben is arguably the more famous/well known Spider-Clone in comparison.

    So yeah, I understand why Kaine has been in limbo, even if I don't necessarily like it. They probably have no real idea what to do with him anymore, as sad as that is.
    Yeah, that's a good, if somewhat depressing, theory on why Kaine hasn't been since Spider-Geddon.

    Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    I’m thinking of starting a Ben Reilly (and Kaine) themed podcast this year. There’s a number of Spidey podcasts, but nothing dedicated just to Ben. I’m thinking of episodes like ‘why do I like Ben?’, ‘how is Ben different from Peter?’, ‘the loves of Ben’, ‘where did Ben visit during his years on the road?’, ‘why ‘Wizard’ and toxic fandom targeted Ben for death’ and so on, and also reviewing some issues from the clone saga. Maybe I’ll also ask people in this thread to call in or leave messages with their thoughts on Ben as well. I often make new year resolutions that don’t come to pass so maybe it’ll never come together, but if it does I’ll keep you guys posted.
    Sounds good.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

  12. #12
    Y'know. Pav's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    2,938

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    I’m thinking of starting a Ben Reilly (and Kaine) themed podcast this year. There’s a number of Spidey podcasts, but nothing dedicated just to Ben. I’m thinking of episodes like ‘why do I like Ben?’, ‘how is Ben different from Peter?’, ‘the loves of Ben’, ‘where did Ben visit during his years on the road?’, ‘why ‘Wizard’ and toxic fandom targeted Ben for death’ and so on, and also reviewing some issues from the clone saga. Maybe I’ll also ask people in this thread to call in or leave messages with their thoughts on Ben as well. I often make new year resolutions that don’t come to pass so maybe it’ll never come together, but if it does I’ll keep you guys posted.
    When Beyond was annoucned, I thought about starting a podcast called "Clone Sweet Clone," in which I did a complete read-through of the 90s Clone Saga.

    But it's hard to devote time to personal artistic pursuits during the schoolyear, I find.

    -Pav, who also needs to repurchase the whole saga...
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.

    You know what it means when he comes back
    .


    "You're not the better one, Peter. You're just older."

    --------------------

    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my school! DM for details

  13. #13
    Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    New Jersey, U.S.A.
    Posts
    15,262

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pav View Post
    When Beyond was annoucned, I thought about starting a podcast called "Clone Sweet Clone," in which I did a complete read-through of the 90s Clone Saga.

    But it's hard to devote time to personal artistic pursuits during the schoolyear, I find.

    -Pav, who also needs to repurchase the whole saga...
    Considering the saga is 11 whole volumes of Complete/Epic Collections . . .
    The spider is always on the hunt.

  14. #14
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    1,756

    Default

    Pav, you can cohost with me if you want.

    Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Considering the saga is 11 whole volumes of Complete/Epic Collections . . .
    I read it from first volume to last nonstop about 5 years ago. It took me about 3 months. Besides a rough section around ‘Maximum Clonage’ it held up much better than I expected, especially the beginning and the end. Perhaps I’m biased since I already had nostalgia for the era, but besides a couple moments (Time Bomb is really problematic…) that nostalgia wasn’t really burst. That said, I’m not sure I could ever reread it. All together it’s like 5,000 pages or something crazy.

  15. #15
    Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    New Jersey, U.S.A.
    Posts
    15,262

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    Pav, you can cohost with me if you want.



    I read it from first volume to last nonstop about 5 years ago. It took me about 3 months. Besides a rough section around ‘Maximum Clonage’ it held up much better than I expected, especially the beginning and the end. Perhaps I’m biased since I already had nostalgia for the era, but besides a couple moments (Time Bomb is really problematic…) that nostalgia wasn’t really burst. That said, I’m not sure I could ever reread it. All together it’s like 5,000 pages or something crazy.
    Yeah, that does sound pretty crazy, though I'm glad you still found enjoyment in it.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •