Page 2 of 165 FirstFirst 1234561252102 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Yeah, that does sound pretty crazy, though I'm glad you still found enjoyment in it.
    Now that I think about it, it was probably closer to 8,000 or 9,000 pages as each volume was around 800 pages or so lol.

Astonishing Member

Now that we know Ben is going to relocate (to Hollywood, or at L.A.) what do you think could be the premise?
    And let's especulate with the creative team

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sr. Bungle View Post
    Now that we know Ben is going to relocate (to Hollywood, or at L.A.) what do you think could be the premise?
    Hmmn… if we’re making wild bets, I’m gonna say… Zeb Wells writing, Carlos Gomez on pencils.

The premise will be similar to ‘Superior.’ Ben takes his Spidey persona to the West Coast, in this case Hollywood (ugh, couldn’t you have picked a better place, Ben?). Series will probably last only 12 or 13 issues (yes, I’m a pessimist), enough for a couple trades. I think it’ll be decent. Maybe not as good as Chris Yost’s modern classic Scarlet Spider series starring Kaine, but probably a good deal better than PAD’s mediocre Scarlet Spider series starring Ben27. It’ll probably end with Ben going back to the Scarlet Spider identity again, or perhaps hitting the road and putting away all heroics for a while.

Anyway, watch me be completely wrong about everything.

Spectacular Member Obsidian Spider's Avatar

My dream would be Daredevil’s current team of Chip and Marco.

Love what Chip has done for DD and Spidey (especially Life Story)

BANNED

I never cared for how Ben was brought back. I always thought that his return was practically baked into the story already and was baffled Slott went the way he did which is so convoluted and silly

Wig Over The Hoodie Style IamnotJudasTraveller's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    Series will probably last only 12 or 13 issues (yes, I’m a pessimist), enough for a couple trades.
    Sounds more like you're pragmatic than pessimistic.

Marvel's been doing these spin-off Spider-Man books as far back as Grim Hunt, with Anya becoming Spider-Girl. Then with Kaine and Spider-Island, where the trend of 'moving away' began (I believe Anya's still kept her in NY). The market has just retracted and not expanded since these years (PAD's Ben sales were the level that Kaine's tanked to cancellation, for one) and we've seen this song and dance repeated to exhaustion.

Miles beat this because he was never intended as a "far from home spinoff" - when Marvel was already thinking of euthanizing the Ultimate Universe but telling readers it's going to move to a farm with lots of friends and love, they were calling it "the universe where there are no rules and anything can happen" so a new Spider-Man emerging after Peter Parker dies was a lovely idea and went with the motif of Spider-Man changing the world so there will always be one. But then they transferred Miles over to the 616 anyway and made everyone's backstories more convoluted, but it seems like they took the lesson of "Miles worked as an organic story" to "just bring in ALL the Spider-people!"

That will stick around for a year or two tops, because they didn't coalesce with such a strong hook like Miles'.
    Discovering/CONFESSING! the nature of evil... one retcon at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    Pav, you can cohost with me if you want. ... I’m not sure I could ever reread it. All together it’s like 5,000 pages or something crazy.
    I would absolutely be down to cohost a Ben-centered podcast with you! I'd even bite the bullet and reread it straight through, if that's something we wanted to incorporate.

So, I had this notion the other day: what better job for Ben that as a stuntman in Hollywood?

As far as the creative team goes, I would kill for a DeMatteis/Gleason combo on writing with Gleason also doing the pencils. That being said, I think it's likelier we get Wells or Ziglar doing the writing, however.

As always, I'm just happy for more Ben. Hopefully we'll get stories in which his character is what pushes the story forward, rather than the premise surrounding the character (if that makes sense).

-Pav, who doesn't think Ben's stories need a hook beyond "Here's what Peter Parker might do if..."
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.
    You know what it means when he comes back

"You're not the better one, Peter. You're just older."
    --------------------
    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my school! DM for details

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pav View Post
    I would absolutely be down to cohost a Ben-centered podcast with you! I'd even bite the bullet and reread it straight through, if that's something we wanted to incorporate.
    Cool. I probably can’t do it for a month or two (like you, I work in academia, which keeps me busy), but I’ll be in touch when I’m ready to give it a shot.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MisterC View Post
    I never cared for how Ben was brought back. I always thought that his return was practically baked into the story already and was baffled Slott went the way he did which is so convoluted and silly
    Hmm, would you be referring to the theory that since Ben degenerated into dust upon death, which shouldn't have happened with a "perfect clone," that Ben's death could have been faked by Norman Osborn and/or Miles Warren using a "quick clone" whipped up with Ben's memories up to that point, so they could keep the real Ben for whatever sick plans they had in mind for him (and Peter, by extension)?
    The spider is always on the hunt.

How will you guys feel if Peter gives Ben his wedding ring? So Ben and Janine get married when all of this is over?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Prime View Post
    How will you guys feel if Peter gives Ben his wedding ring? So Ben and Janine get married when all of this is over?
    I’d be fine with Ben marrying Janine, but Peter giving Ben his wedding ring (does he even still have it post-OMD?) would just be awkward and uncomfortable tbh.
    Last edited by HypnoHustler; 01-04-2022 at 08:46 AM.

Astonishing Member

If Ben didn't buy a ring with all that Beyond money why would Peter give him his?

Extraordinary Member

Co-signed that the ring thing wouldn't work

Astonishing Member

Does Otto remember Ben from clone conspiracy?

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Does Otto remember Ben from clone conspiracy?
    If he does . . . that would be an interesting conflagration.
    The spider is always on the hunt.