Page 52 of 165 FirstFirst ... 24248495051525354555662102152 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member Mercwmouth12's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sr. Bungle View Post
    I don't understand, sorry
    i think there will be a continuation as JMD did say there is something possibly down the line but there's always the chance of something left open and nothing for years.
    MC2 Peter coming back is just an example that was teased or shown, but no follow up

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mercwmouth12 View Post
    i think there will be a continuation as JMD did say there is something possibly down the line but there's always the chance of something left open and nothing for years.
    MC2 Peter coming back is just an example that was teased or shown, but no follow up
    Ah, ok. I mean, Gleason just designed a new character and has nothing lined up announced until now.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by MisterC View Post
    I certainly expressed my disappointment to Wells and Lowe and I am the unicorn golden audience. I have disposable income and am stupid and irresponsible with my money enough to be a comic book fan.

All they had to do was not make Beyond completely miserable and I would be lock for whatever overpriced hardcover or omnibus they put out. Probably both!

I almost bought every variant cover for this and BR: Spider-Man cause I was so hyped for Ben getting a shot. Then the memories crap started happening and I noped out of those transactions.

I will be returning my copy of 93 to the store I ordered from (thanks eBay) and I encourage everyone to not purchase this issue. Read the spoilers people post. Skim through the issue at a local comic book spot if the owner is cool with it. Borrow it from a friend. Wait until the collection is in your local library. But don't throw away money. Because if this makes money, its like sentencing Ben to be Chasm.

Tweets and backlash can only go so far. But nothing effects change like a quarterly earnings report. At the end of the day, Marvel needs our money more than we need to read any of their stories. If we say you can't have it, they will bend over backwards to do anything to get it back. There's no artistic vision or direction in big two comics. It's just a place to build an audience and leverage it into a gig writing for a streaming show or an image deal for a book that can be sold to whatever streaming platform needs the content.

Well obviously we're all going to make our own decisions on whether to support or not whatever comes next for Ben but I can say almost unequivocally that I'm done with Ben Reilly's journey

I jumped onboard for PAD's Ben Reilly Scarlet Spider despite my reservations and it by and large sucked and I came back to ASM for Beyond even though I thought I never would after OMD because I thought Ben truly deserved another crack at Spider-Man after how his first run ended but this one has arguably ended just as bad if not worse than the first time.

I've knew and have known for a long time that the Spider-Man editorial office would never allow Ben to be depicted anything close to like he was what he was in the 90's which is what made most of us like him.

I allowed myself to be suckered into supporting this stuff out of some sense of misplaced loyalty to the Ben Reilly character that I grew to love during the Clone Saga and that's on me but barring a significant shift in how Marvel views Ben's character I'm done for the foreseeable future.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by classicgmer View Post
    Well obviously we're all going to make our own decisions on whether to support or not whatever comes next for Ben but I can say almost unequivocally that I'm done with Ben Reilly's journey

I jumped onboard for PAD's Ben Reilly Scarlet Spider despite my reservations and it by and large sucked and I came back to ASM for Beyond even though I thought I never would after OMD because I thought Ben truly deserved another crack at Spider-Man after how his first run ended but this one has arguably ended just as bad if not worse than the first time.

I've knew and have known for a long time that the Spider-Man editorial office would never allow Ben to be depicted anything close to like he was what he was in the 90's which is what made most of us like him.

I allowed myself to be suckered into supporting this stuff out of some sense of misplaced loyalty to the Ben Reilly character that I grew to love during the Clone Saga and that's on me but barring a significant shift in how Marvel views Ben's character I'm done for the foreseeable future.
    I've seen Lowe's comments about it on the last page and it's an even bigger insult to Ben Reilly fans. With the world as bad as it is, the last thing on Earth that is "doing right by Ben's fans" is a story where he gives up, more or less attempts suicide, and is turned into a monster. What a pointless, ugly, offensive story. I just came back to Peter and Ben, characters I've loved since I was a little boy, last year. I was overjoyed to reconnect with them.

This has ruined all of it.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Refrax5 View Post
    I've seen Lowe's comments about it on the last page and it's an even bigger insult to Ben Reilly fans. With the world as bad as it is, the last thing on Earth that is "doing right by Ben's fans" is a story where he gives up, more or less attempts suicide, and is turned into a monster. What a pointless, ugly, offensive story. I just came back to Peter and Ben, characters I've loved since I was a little boy, last year. I was overjoyed to reconnect with them.

If this latest development along with Clone Conspiracy and PAD's SS run is the best they can do to " do right" by Ben and his fans then IMHO they need to stop trying.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by classicgmer View Post
    If this latest development along with Clone Conspiracy and PAD's SS run is the best they can do to " do right" by Ben and his fans then IMHO they need to stop trying.
    Lowe says how Ben basically has no place in the comics anymore and this was designed to give Ben a final run as Spider-Man and give a "rare" tragic ending to a hero in comics. Seriously?

Astonishing Member

What does he say?

Wig Over The Hoodie Style IamnotJudasTraveller's Avatar

spoilers:
    Lowe says how Ben basically has no place in the comics anymore and this was designed to give Ben a final run as Spider-Man and give a "rare" tragic ending to a hero in comics. Seriously?
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    Well, this basically made me recall something I'd be meaning to bring up - in Life of Reilly, Greenberg himself mentioned how Ben "had" to die because he was "too similar to Peter" according to Marvel's rules ("too similar powerset, personality and background"). This push to make Ben into "something else" has been around since CC, and Slott himself went with the "Ben's story is done" angle before he could do CC.
    end of spoilers

Not gonna lie: from everything so far, this is the only moment I can say I felt them 'twist the knife'. Yeah, I maintain "do your worst" because I'm not going to be spending my days in dread even if it's a character I really care about, but this pretty much all but confirms they're dumping him in a ditch and he's no one's problem. I've never once said this, but if this is what it was coming down to, then basically keeping him dead would be a preferable option... hell, dying to Kindred in Spencer's run, which is my guess how that'd have gone down, might have been also preferable.
    Discovering/CONFESSING! the nature of evil... one retcon at a time.

Extraordinary Member

W... what?

Yeah they should have left him dead

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by IamnotJudasTraveller View Post
    spoilers:
    Well, this basically made me recall something I'd be meaning to bring up - in Life of Reilly, Greenberg himself mentioned how Ben "had" to die because he was "too similar to Peter" according to Marvel's rules ("too similar powerset, personality and background"). This push to make Ben into "something else" has been around since CC, and Slott himself went with the "Ben's story is done" angle before he could do CC.
    end of spoilers

Not gonna lie: from everything so far, this is the only moment I can say I felt them 'twist the knife'. Yeah, I maintain "do your worst" because I'm not going to be spending my days in dread even if it's a character I really care about, but this pretty much all but confirms they're dumping him in a ditch and he's no one's problem. I've never once said this, but if this is what it was coming down to, then basically keeping him dead would be a preferable option... hell, dying to Kindred in Spencer's run, which is my guess how that'd have gone down, might have been also preferable.
    Honestly, I wish they would have just left him in limbo after Spider-Geddon. Or, at the end of this, maybe just let him retire and be happy? That's a lot more rare than a tragic ending.

I mean, this is a guy that kept trying and kept going forward, no matter what happened. Marvel's idea of an appropriate ending for that character is to have him be tortured until he gives up, literally lays down to die, and is turned into a monster? What a disgusting message to send. Marvel stole my money.

Astonishing Member

Not even an heroic sacrifice, This is so enraging

Wig Over The Hoodie Style IamnotJudasTraveller's Avatar

Honestly, I wish they would have just left him in limbo after Spider-Geddon. Or, at the end of this, maybe just let him retire and be happy? That's a lot more rare than a tragic ending.

I mean, this is a guy that kept trying and kept going forward, no matter what happened. Marvel's idea of an appropriate ending for that character is to have him be tortured until he gives up, literally lays down to die, and is turned into a monster? What a disgusting message to send. Marvel stole my money.
    Should we even bother at this point? Backlash made them course correct on PAD's book, sure, but if they went to the well one more time and they're calling it that, then they want to park their van on that space and be done with it. We already know they're not going to bother with this particular corner of the Spider-verse too because Wells' book has the whole timeskip thing going for it and Peter being on the outs with all of his supporting cast. So I have no idea what there is even to look forward to anyone who was keeping up with the run - this guy gets to show up as a villain in 2023 or something?

What a mess. I legit didn't hate my time with Beyond, I liked keeping up with a Ben weekly and bouncing things off you guys here, but this definitely seems like one of the worst endings they could possibly conceive to this arc.
    Discovering/CONFESSING! the nature of evil... one retcon at a time.

BANNED

Should we even bother at this point? Backlash made them course correct on PAD's book, sure, but if they went to the well one more time and they're calling it that, then they want to park their van on that space and be done with it. We already know they're not going to bother with this particular corner of the Spider-verse too because Wells' book has the whole timeskip thing going for it and Peter being on the outs with all of his supporting cast. So I have no idea what there is even to look forward to anyone who was keeping up with the run - this guy gets to show up as a villain in 2023 or something?

What a mess. I legit didn't hate my time with Beyond, I liked keeping up with a Ben weekly and bouncing things off you guys here, but this definitely seems like one of the worst endings they could possibly conceive to this arc.
    I would. I'm going through a very hard time in my life and Ben being back is about all I had to look forward to at this point. Their callous, lazy attitude towards this character genuinely hurt me. They should know that what they did was crappy. I doubt they'll care--the nonsense they said to get Ben fans to buy it in the first place proves they don't--but they should definitely get complaints.

Astonishing Member

spoilers:
    end of spoilers

Let’s face it. The only writer (still around) who gets and cares about Ben is JM DeMatteis. Unfortunately he’s not running the Spidey office.

Incredible Member

Yeah that sounds about right as guys who are high up on the totem pole like Joe Quesada and Tom Brevoort have maintained similar stances like this on Ben for years. I distinctly remember when Steven Wacker was the guy in Nick Lowe's position now he made a comment along the lines that he felt Ben's story had been told....That was i believe 2 maybe three years before CC but it just shows how consistent across the board they are regarding Ben.

It's the same way for OMD and the marriage as well so nobody get their hopes up about them changing their stance on that either as they're always going to make sure they have editors in place who feel the exact same way as the guys high up the ladder.