Page 50 of 87 FirstFirst ... 4046474849505152535460 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by dietrich View Post
    No I don't think Steph and Carrie are similar character wise.

Steph Their personalities are up beat doers and both are girls who wore the Robin mantle but that's about it.

With Steph I never got that 'this reminds me of something' vibe that I experienced with Tim.

Their origins, Journey, motivations and core ideologies are very different.
    Even the functions/roles the characters have in the bat narrative are very different.
    To be honest I never saw Carrie and Tim as very similar because the stories, Batman's, and settings for their Robin identities were so different.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    To be honest I never saw Carrie and Tim as very similar because the stories, Batman's, and settings for their Robin identities were so different.
    Really?
    A fan who seeks out a darker Batman who is grieving the loss of Jason and offers assistance.
    Not an orphan so has to start off sneaking out in the early days without parental consent
    Later moves in with Bruce
    A very relatable teen, pretty much the era's average American reader who does teenage things.
    What they lack in combat skills they make up for with brains and tenacity so much so that they impress Bruce who takes them on after refusing initially.
    Unlike Dick and Jason this Robin has a signature weapon

There's a lot similarities in Tim's origin story/ introduction and Carrie's narrative in TDKR Their motivation, function [part both are set up to play re Batman story] and Batman's circumstances/emotional state. All very similar.

There are too many similarities hence why Tim felt familiar to me.

To be clear, this was only true for Tim's intro and his 1st few issues. I'm not saying that Tim the character as he progressed still reminded me of Carrie and I'm not saying that his type of personality reminds me of Carrie. Just their early story beats and their distinct elements that made them different from the 1st two Robins.

Tim of course is more fleshed out and we got to see his life, friends and so much more. Tim's character progressed and developed so much more than Carrie ever did.

Really?
    A fan who seeks out a darker Batman who is grieving the loss of Jason and offers assistance.
    Not an orphan so has to start off sneaking out in the early days without parental consent
    Later moves in with Bruce
    A very relatable teen, pretty much the era's average American reader who does teenage things.
    What they lack in combat skills they make up for with brains and tenacity so much so that they impress Bruce who takes them on after refusing initially.
    Unlike Dick and Jason this Robin has a signature weapon

There's a lot similarities in Tim's origin story/ introduction and Carrie's narrative in TDKR Their motivation, function [part both are set up to play re Batman story] and Batman's circumstances/emotional state. All very similar.

There are too many similarities hence why Tim felt familiar to me.

To be clear, this was only true for Tim's intro and his 1st few issues. I'm not saying that Tim the character as he progressed still reminded me of Carrie and I'm not saying that his type of personality reminds me of Carrie. Just their early story beats and their distinct elements that made them different from the 1st two Robins.

Tim of course is more fleshed out and we got to see his life, friends and so much more. Tim's character progressed and developed so much more than Carrie ever did.
    Was Carrie a Batman fan? It felt more like the circumstances and him saving her once just lead to them coming together. It wasn't Tim's story where he had this history with them and was trying to save Bruce and the entire mantle of Robin.

Also different parental situation (Carrie's parents may as well not have existed).

Dick and Alfred being majorly involved is also another way to distinguish between the two of them and Batman wasn't as...excessive as DKR Batman.

Was Carrie a Batman fan? It felt more like the circumstances and him saving her once just lead to them coming together. It wasn't Tim's story where he had this history with them and was trying to save Bruce and the entire mantle of Robin.

Also different parental situation (Carrie's parents may as well not have existed).

Dick and Alfred being majorly involved is also another way to distinguish between the two of them and Batman wasn't as...excessive as DKR Batman.
    Yes Carrie was a big batman fan. She was searching for him and following him for a while. She deliberately went that night to seek him out

Sure she didn't see Robin's folks die but like Tim she did have history with Batman which led to 13 year old Carrie becoming a huge fan. Afterwards she then dedicated her time trying to find him.
    Carrie was trying to help Batman and the city. She wanted to work alongside him.

after she managed to save his life and impress him he finally relented.

You are correct. Tim's folks weren't as absent as Carrie [ Carrie's folks even seemingly can't recall if they had a kid at times] but that didn't stop me being reminded of TDKR and thinking that it sure convenient that yet again we have parental figures who are absent trope making it possible for Tim to sneak out.

It wasn't a beat for beat copy and paste sure. I said that it was familiar. I got a sense of dejavu due to the many similarities.

You say you don't see the similarities? Okay.

Yes Carrie was a big batman fan. She was searching for him and following him for a while. She deliberately went that night to seek him out

Sure she didn't see Robin's folks die but like Tim she did have history with Batman which led to 13 year old Carrie becoming a huge fan. Afterwards she then dedicated her time trying to find him.
    Carrie was trying to help Batman and the city. She wanted to work alongside him.

after she managed to save his life and impress him he finally relented.

You are correct. Tim's folks weren't as absent as Carrie [ Carrie's folks even seemingly can't recall if they had a kid at times] but that didn't stop me being reminded of TDKR and thinking that it sure convenient that yet again we have parental figures who are absent trope making it possible for Tim to sneak out.

It wasn't a beat for beat copy and paste sure. I said that it was familiar. I got a sense of dejavu due to the many similarities.

You say you don't see the similarities? Okay.
    I really must have missed that she was a big fan. I only really remember her seeing him when he came back and it didn't feel like it was presented the same way Tim's was.

But to each their own.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    well I was thinking ok, that's not SO bad, but then I got to that head. what the hell is up with that chin???? I really do hate to disparage an artist's work....but sweet mercy his work is hideous.

Astonishing Member Darkspellmaster's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by paulojrmam View Post
    Isn't Bernard an old acquaintance of his? I'm just trying to offer a possible explanation that maybe Tim always had a crush on Bernard but mistook it for friendship, but after coming to know that he would meet Bernard he started thinking about him after a long time and this more mature Tim recognized that what he feels for him is more than just friendship. As for him not being with Steph and being with Bernard, can't it be simply that he likes him more than her? As for him breaking up with Steph, I don't know, I'm not updated on the whole story and where they were beforehand.
    Thing is Steph and Tim have a lot of MJ and Peter energy to them. Its like the whole debacle with Carlie Cooper. You can't just throw someone into a relationship without the build up.

And Tim had two better choices: Cullen Rowe who seems to have a thing for him, mentioning he is a fan of Supernatural (she wrote for the show), nice guy and sweet. Yeah he's dating Biff of the Royal Flush gang, but that will not last. And there's already Cullen in various other Bat media.

The other one is Danny Temple, Kid Kobra, heir to the Kobra line. He, was one of Tim's neighbors in school. A good guy all around, knows Tim's identity and also has skills that align with how he got raised, but he's a kind sweetheart who Tim saved and in turn saved Tim. They were close and he, Danny was supposed to have a a book of his own at one point. On top of that there was way more chemistry between Danny and Tim than Bernard and Tim. And it would make more sense with the greeting.

If we have Tim dating guys in the Bat sphere than either of these would be good and better than Bernard.

Astonishing Member Darkspellmaster's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OBrianTallent View Post
    well I was thinking ok, that's not SO bad, but then I got to that head. what the hell is up with that chin???? I really do hate to disparage an artist's work....but sweet mercy his work is hideous.
    Yeah I was saying in the other thread, it sur is uh...something.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspellmaster View Post
    Thing is Steph and Tim have a lot of MJ and Peter energy to them. Its like the whole debacle with Carlie Cooper. You can't just throw someone into a relationship without the build up.

And Tim had two better choices: Cullen Rowe who seems to have a thing for him, mentioning he is a fan of Supernatural (she wrote for the show), nice guy and sweet. Yeah he's dating Biff of the Royal Flush gang, but that will not last. And there's already Cullen in various other Bat media.

The other one is Danny Temple, Kid Kobra, heir to the Kobra line. He, was one of Tim's neighbors in school. A good guy all around, knows Tim's identity and also has skills that align with how he got raised, but he's a kind sweetheart who Tim saved and in turn saved Tim. They were close and he, Danny was supposed to have a a book of his own at one point. On top of that there was way more chemistry between Danny and Tim than Bernard and Tim. And it would make more sense with the greeting.

If we have Tim dating guys in the Bat sphere than either of these would be good and better than Bernard.
    Bernad's last appearance had him telling a supervillain where Tim lives:

https://twitter.com/Exalted_Speed/st...372741/photo/4

The only reason anyone could possibly think of pairing him with Tim is due to fanfiction/fangirl circles which existed at the time which did so (and they only did it because he was a blonde white boy).

Ultimate Member

Please tell that is a variant cover.

And looking at it-either that is Black Panther's silhouette above him or something else......

Hope they put it in color.

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Please tell that is a variant cover.

And looking at it-either that is Black Panther's silhouette above him or something else......

Hope they put it in color.
    Considering that it is by the interior artist...it's most likely a splash page.

...Are they trying to sabotage this book?

Astonishing Member

...Are they trying to sabotage this book?
    Wouldn't be the first time DC sabotaged their own books.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspellmaster View Post

Question. Did Fitzmartin write the Dean and Castiel thing in the final season?