Page 2 of 87 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Blue22 View Post
    Also can we PLEASE let him go to college like he was about to do? Let his whole generation age.
    I would love for Tim to go to college. PLEASE stop drawing him as a 16 year old, people of DC.

Quote Originally Posted by OBrianTallent View Post
    I wouldn't have any issue with him using Dr. Midnight other than that he's not a Doctor of anything really. However if we are going to use legacy names Midnight is an old pulp hero DC owns, but that one might be too close to the Midnighter. DC could also bring the Grey Ghost into continuity (at least I dont think they have as yet) and let Tim pick that up. Another option could be Geist (of the Bloodpack) I dont think this character has been seen since the New 52 has he?
    I dont mind if Tim has an original name or a legacy (Chuck Dixon was all set for him to become the new Blue Beetle which, as much as I like Jamie, was a great idea and missed opportunity.)
    Wait, really? That's so cool. What a missed opportunity!
    “Fleeing through the labyrinths with the hordes of the living dead fast upon them;
    Once again they found themselves trapped in front of the abyss.”

Incredible Member

Was Tim's age actually hinted? Is there a reason to assume he's not 18?

If Jason is now early 20 and Dick is middle 20, is there a reason for Tim not to be 18?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lal View Post
    Was Tim's age actually hinted? Is there a reason to assume he's not 18?
    Mostly that he is drawn and written like a teenager, in Nightwing Dick for example brought him extra in to go under cover as a street kid, since he thought the kids wouldn't speak with an adult like him.

I also think that they had mentioned something like him being 18 in the comics, especially in combination with the changes they make to him right now.

Btw. Jason's age is afaik never really clearly given in current comics (OK I haven't read Taskforce Z sofar), he could technically still be in his late teens, and should probaly if Dick is still in his mid 20s since Dick should be arround 7 years older than Jason.
    Last edited by Aahz; 01-02-2022 at 03:25 AM.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    Mostly that he is drawn and written like a teenager, in Nightwing Dick for example brought him extra in to go under cover as a street kid, since he thought the kids wouldn't speak with an adult like him.

I also think that they had mentioned something like him being 18 in the comics, especially in combination with the changes they make to him right now.

Btw. Jason's age is afaik never really clearly given in current comics (OK I haven't read Taskforce Z sofar), he could technically still be in his late teens, and should probaly if Dick is still in his mid 20s since Dick should be arround 7 years older than Jason.
    I think at this point Dick is no longer 7 years older than Jason. In the recent Nightwing annual we had a flashback showing Dick after recently being fired from Robin and becoming Nightwing, and Jason looked about 14.
    So it seems more like a 5 years gap, I guess. Maybe even less.
    But I think that for years now, ever since Jason returned, the Jason-Dick gap got smaller. They are usually referred to as more or less the same generation. When he was an antagonist to Dick's batman they had to make it believable and not just show Dick fighting an inexperienced teenager, and Jason usully interacts with people from Dick's generation (Roy, Kory, Donna)

I think that at this point the ages are probably something like Dick 26, Jason 21-22, Tim 18, and Damian 14.

Extraordinary Member

Don't know, if I look at the flasch backs in Urban legends it looks pretty much like Jason original starting age is back in continuity (meaning he became Robin at age 12 when Dick was 19).

It might be possible to retcon that to Jason becoming Robin at age 13 whith Dick only being 18 at the time, but that seems to me kind of the limit.

That Jason keep writing jason as beeing close in age to characters of Dick's generation doesn't make that much sense (originally even Beast Boy was iirc 3-4 years older than Jason).

Honestly I think the characters that are currently on Damians book (Rose Wilson and Connor Hawke) are the ones that would fit into Jason's Generation.

Incredible Member

Don't know, if I look at the flasch backs in Urban legends it looks pretty much like Jason original starting age is back in continuity (meaning he became Robin at age 12 when Dick was 19).

It might be possible to retcon that to Jason becoming Robin at age 13 whith Dick only being 18 at the time, but that seems to me kind of the limit.

That Jason keep writing jason as beeing close in age to characters of Dick's generation doesn't make that much sense (originally even Beast Boy was iirc 3-4 years older than Jason).

Honestly I think the characters that are currently on Damians book (Rose Wilson and Connor Hawke) are the ones that would fit into Jason's Generation.
    It's possible it started when Jason became the antagonist to Bruce and later to Dick's Batman. He was supposed to be able to hold his own against them, and being Robin for only 2 years and then dead for a while just didn't make the cut. He also couldn't be taken too seriously if he was a 16 years old child raging at them. So DC had to make him more experienced, and gradually he became older and only slightly less experienced than Dick, interacted with people in Dick's age group as equals, and was more or less accepted as part of Dick's generation.

I'd say the difference between Dick and Jason's ages is much more blurry than the difference between Jason and Tim.
    Dick and Jason are both young adults somewhere in their 20s with an identity and a clear agenda, and with enough experience and ability to hold their own and in Dick's case maybe even surpass Batman. Tim is still considered a teenager trying to find himself.
    Last edited by Lal; 01-02-2022 at 06:26 AM.

Extraordinary Member

He also couldn't be taken too seriously if he was a 16 years old child raging at them.
    Based on the comics he was at least 18 in when he came back in other Red Hood.

I'd say the difference between Dick and Jason's ages is much more blurry than the difference between Jason and Tim.
    Technically it should be the other way arround, if you go by the original comics Jason should be pretty close to Tim in age. Pre Flashpoint Jason was actually younger than Cassandra Cain.

Incredible Member

Based on the comics he was at least 18 in when he came back in other Red Hood.

Technically it should be the other way arround, if you go by the original comics Jason should be pretty close to Tim in age. Pre Flashpoint Jason was actually younger than Cassandra Cain.
    True, that's the reason I'm saying that it's pretty clear that Jason's age was altered to be closer to Dick than to either Tim's or Cass (that are now both teenagers).
    Jason is a young adult while Cass and Tim are still teens (and let's not forget the Batgirls writer who even said that Cass and Steph are 13-14).

Ages are tricky in the DCU, but it's pretty clear that somewhere along the way the Dick-Jason age gap became smaller than it originally was, which is probably for the best because it allows Tim to grow a bit too.
    Dick and Babs also started once with a significant age gap, but today they are the same age.

Astonishing Member

Pre Flashpoint Jason was actually younger than Cassandra Cain.
    Even Pre-Flashpoint, they were presenting Jason as closer to Dick's generation.

As it was mentioned, they wanted Jason to be a villain for Bruce and Dick. So, DC makes Jason older.

Quote Originally Posted by Konja7 View Post
    Even Pre-Flashpoint, they were presenting Jason as closer to Dick's generation.

As it was mentioned, they wanted Jason to be a villain for Bruce and Dick. So, DC makes Jason older.
    That's a good point to make

Quote Originally Posted by Rufio View Post
    I would love for Tim to go to college. PLEASE stop drawing him as a 16 year old, people of DC.
    But he is 16 (maybe 17 right now).

I still think "Rook" is a good ID for him, it's a bird and a chess piece. He would even keep his razor R logo too with it.
    Pulls: Batman, Detective Comics, SiKtC, Catwoman, Nightwing, Titans, Godzilla, Wonder Woman, Batman & Robin, Brave and the Bold, No/One, Kill your Darlings, and Deviant.
    My runs: Batman #230-, and Detective #420-

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by SixSpeedSamurai View Post

I still think "Rook" is a good ID for him, it's a bird and a chess piece. He would even keep his razor R logo too with it.
    Again, when was his age last stated? Is there a reason to assume he's currently 16?

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

Unfortunately, The Rook is a book published by Dark Horse (well, last published in 2015 but still not long enough to lose a copywrite on it.)

Again, when was his age last stated? Is there a reason to assume he's currently 16?
    During Tynion's run on Detective, and there has been nothing since to state he's aged. Even still, at most he'd be 17.
    Pulls: Batman, Detective Comics, SiKtC, Catwoman, Nightwing, Titans, Godzilla, Wonder Woman, Batman & Robin, Brave and the Bold, No/One, Kill your Darlings, and Deviant.
    My runs: Batman #230-, and Detective #420-

Incredible Member

During Tynion's run on Detective, and there has been nothing since to state he's aged. Even still, at most he'd be 17.
    In the 80 years Robin special Tim stated that he wasn't even 20, which implies more that he's 18-19 than 16. Tynion wrote it following his Detective comics run, so I assumed his age was retconned.