Page 4 of 87 FirstFirst 123456781454 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lal View Post
    Right now having two Robins created multiple problems leading to mix ups between the two, such in last stories of the multiverse and now Superman son of kal-el. Also, as Dick pointed last issue, Tim needs to grow and leave the Robin mantle to the literal 14 years old kid, like he himself moved on.
    I don't think ageing up Tim is really going to help since that will close the age gap between him and Dick, and he and Dick are more similar in the types of stories you can tell with them than he and Damian. Btw. I also think they aged up Damian to fast, there is really no need for Damain to be any older than 12 (and likely even younger) at that this point.

What they should do with Tim is go back to the type of stories they did before Identity Crisis and lean more heavily again in the Family/Highschool (or Collage) Drama aspect of this character, since him having to juggle normal live and superhero stuff was kind of his thing back than.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Iclifton View Post
    Character wise, scientist or college student works. But to be honest, just switching to a new code name and costume with that status quo will not be enough. Hardcore Tim fans may like it but I think to the general audience it will just come of as a knock off Nightwing. Sure plot specifics are different, but same general role. Robin all grown up going solo as a superhero. Better to be a secondary Robin than a secondary Nightwing. At least Robins name carry’s value. That’s why I think you might as well just keep him as a Robin who decides to do something different with the role.

I do think best option is to give him a radical status quo. Everyone was anti Grayson at first to. Now Nightwing fans won’t stop complaining that his book isn’t more like that.
    Honestly, I think that for the general audience Tim is in a bad place.
    I, for example, started reading comics about two years ago. I love all the Robins, but I always found Tim the least compelling (even after reading his Robin and Red Robin run).
    For people who grew up with Tim as their Robin, I can definitely see how he's seen as the best. Bur for me, who was introduced to all the batfam simultaneously, Tim just came as the one that isn't Nightwing, Red Hood or Robin.
    I think that's how many new readers see him now.
    Tim could probably have stayed a secondary Robin before, but I think that by now the ship has sailed.
    Tim can't hold to the Robin mantle after Dick once retired him when he was Batman, and now just told him to move on because the Robin mantle is no longer his. I understand that marketability wise it's maybe better for Tim, but after Urban legends last issue trying to still be Robin would just come as immature.
    Last edited by Lal; 01-06-2022 at 07:29 AM.

Extraordinary Member CPSparkles's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Iclifton View Post
    Character wise, scientist or college student works. But to be honest, just switching to a new code name and costume with that status quo will not be enough. Hardcore Tim fans may like it but I think to the general audience it will just come of as a knock off Nightwing. Sure plot specifics are different, but same general role. Robin all grown up going solo as a superhero. Better to be a secondary Robin than a secondary Nightwing. At least Robins name carry’s value. That’s why I think you might as well just keep him as a Robin who decides to do something different with the role.

I do think best option is to give him a radical status quo. Everyone was anti Grayson at first to. Now Nightwing fans won’t stop complaining that his book isn’t more like that.
    Robin going solo as a superhero was the concept of Tim's Robin series. That was Tim in the 90's till RR.

I believe that a new role/status Quo can be found for tim outside of Robin without him coming off too much like Nightwing.

Dc just has to get their thinking hats on.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by CPSparkles View Post
    Robin going solo as a superhero was the concept of Tim's Robin series. That was Tim in the 90's till RR.

I believe that a new role/status Quo can be found for tim outside of Robin without him coming off too much like Nightwing.

Dc just has to get their thinking hats on.
    Yes and that solo was when Tim was at his most interesting. All of the possible status quo`s mentioned so far on this board work better if he just keeps the Robin name. College or scientist, neither warrant a name change and regardless it will still be redundant of Nightwing.

If he is going to take a on a new role, it needs to actually feel like a new role. Like it serves a purpose or fills a niche someone else isn`t. Radical status quo or keep him as Robin.

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    I don't think ageing up Tim is really going to help since that will close the age gap between him and Dick, and he and Dick are more similar in the types of stories you can tell with them than he and Damian. Btw. I also think they aged up Damian to fast, there is really no need for Damain to be any older than 12 (and likely even younger) at that this point.

What they should do with Tim is go back to the type of stories they did before Identity Crisis and lean more heavily again in the Family/Highschool (or Collage) Drama aspect of this character, since him having to juggle normal live and superhero stuff was kind of his thing back than.
    There are so many comics with that set up, it's not a way to distinguish him. And if the point was that lots of people were invested in Tim's personal life, that ship has sailed long ago.

Embrace a new niche that actually makes him stand out (and is truthful to the character). I don't think scientist or CEO are the answer, but that's just me. I'm still out here pitching him as the gothic urban legend ghost story of Gotham. Using science and technology to pretend to make people believe he's a mystical entity like The Spectre that haunts the streets full of criminals
    Last edited by Alpha; 01-06-2022 at 01:10 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    There are so many comics with that set up, it's not a way to distinguish him. And if the point was that lots of people were invested in Tim's personal life, that ship has sailed long ago.
    At least not in the Batman line, at the moment non of the Batfamily members has really a life outside of the costume.

And at the moment I can't really think of any other ongoing book at DC that fills that niche.

At least not in the Batman line, at the moment non of the Batfamily members has really a life outside of the costume.

And at the moment I can't really think of any other ongoing book at DC that fills that niche.
    Or Superhero comic in general. It's all about being Superheroes 100% of the time, more or less.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KrustyKid View Post
    Link to the old thread: https://community.cbr.com/showthread...reciation-2021

So what's everyone's hopes for Tim this year?
    Move to Bludhaven as part of my wish to spread the Bat fam in different locations, which at this point, only two, so it's Bludhaven for starters. Also since Tim had stayed there in Post Crisis, it's also a sort of homage.

That doesn't mean he's a Nightwing supporting cast. If he has a solo, maybe have him and Bernard going to college in Bludhaven, assuming whatever the frick their age is currently

Since I'm moving him to Bludhaven, and the city wasn't destroyed, bring back Dana Winters. I know nothing about her, except that people's been asking if she's dead or alive now that the city isn't nuked. This way he'll have a family again that is not tied to Bruce in Gotham.

I want another Young Justice book, but limit the cast to the main quartet, or at least if the others return, make it so they only appear as a one-arc related character, and then maybe they return 2-3 arcs later. That way they're not fighting for screen time.

I still want a new name, and I want it to be Nightbat, since he was inspired by Bruce and Dick, and I hope writers don't read this post because then they're not gonna use it since it's not their own idea. Some Tim writers on Twitter, please, don't go here, but read my mind, and use it.
    Last edited by Restingvoice; 01-07-2022 at 09:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    Move to Bludhaven as part of my wish to spread the Bat fam in different locations, which at this point, only two, so it's Bludhaven for starters. Also since Tim had stayed there in Post Crisis, it's also a sort of homage.

That doesn't mean he's a Nightwing supporting cast. If he has a solo, maybe have him and Bernard going to college in Bludhaven, assuming whatever the frick their age is currently

Since I'm moving him to Bludhaven, and the city wasn't destroyed, bring back Dana Winters. I know nothing about her, except that people's been asking if she's dead or alive now that the city isn't nuked. This way he'll have a family again that is not tied to Bruce in Gotham.

I want another Young Justice book, but limit the cast to the main quartet, or at least if the others return, make it so they only appear as a one-arc related character, and then maybe they return 2-3 arcs later. That way they're not fighting for screen time.

I still want a new name, and I want it to be Nightbat, since he was inspired by Bruce and Dick, and I hope writers don't read this post because then they're not gonna use it since it's not their own idea. Some Tim writers on Twitter, please, don't go here, but read my mind, and use it.

Read in a soothing and inviting manner//
    Twitter is garbage… CBR Batman forums is where the good ideas are at. Come oooon ~ Do good things for Tim.
    “Fleeing through the labyrinths with the hordes of the living dead fast upon them;
    Once again they found themselves trapped in front of the abyss.”

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Or Superhero comic in general. It's all about being Superheroes 100% of the time, more or less.
    This might be the first time in decades without a DC mainline book that fits that description of the personali life of a teenager/ young adult. Wally West and his kids do have jobs and school, but they aren't in that age range. We'll see if Batgirls and Superman Son of Kal el will show their responsibilities including school and jobs.

But we still have Static Season One, Icon&Rocket Season One, Naomi, and the countless YA adult books DC has been putting out.

Marvel has a Ms Marvel book, a Miles Morales book, a Kate Bishop book, Children of the atom, etc. And there are many independent companies with Spider-man derivatives
    Last edited by Alpha; 01-07-2022 at 10:04 PM.

Astonishing Member Darkspellmaster's Avatar

Part of the problem i think is that they cut off his growth. Unlike Dick who got to grow through college and the like, Tim's not getting that. Honestly I wouldn't mind seeing him as working at Wayne as an intern or working as a more Sherlock detective. Part of the issue i'm having with Batman is that some of the detective work is gone from him at times, Tim I think could fill that role. Maybe team him up with Steph or Blue Jay and Signal and let them work as a team to figure things out. Mysteries that Batman kind of overlooks. Could give him a niche that could be interesting for readers.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspellmaster View Post
    Part of the problem i think is that they cut off his growth. Unlike Dick who got to grow through college and the like, Tim's not getting that. Honestly I wouldn't mind seeing him as working at Wayne as an intern or working as a more Sherlock detective. Part of the issue i'm having with Batman is that some of the detective work is gone from him at times, Tim I think could fill that role. Maybe team him up with Steph or Blue Jay and Signal and let them work as a team to figure things out. Mysteries that Batman kind of overlooks. Could give him a niche that could be interesting for readers.
    That growth was ultimately the biggest asset his time as Red Robin pre-New 52 had going for it… and let’s face it, that book under Fabian Niceiza and Chris Yost *was* Tim using his networking skills to investigate things alongside other heroes, and while having a civilian life that was different from Dick’s and from his own past one.

I get the annoyance, frustration, and disgust a lot of people have for the series of traumas and deprivations Tim suffered thanks to collateral damage form Didio’s personal grievances with legacy characters, unexpected and unwanted successes, and a desire to make tIm more conventional among writers. I also get people who looked at the Red Robin book, and thought it just made Tim Bruce-Lite.

…But to be honest, it was a consistently readable, fun, and addicting throwback to the Denny O’Neill Batman mixed with Tim’s generation of heroes and a neat “how chess-mastery should a hero be before he’s going too far?” kind of theme.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Extraordinary Member

But we still have Static Season One, Icon&Rocket Season One, Naomi, and the countless YA adult books DC has been putting out.
    Those are all limited series or OGNs so I don't think you can really do theses long running side plots for the teen drama aspect.

This might be the first time in decades without a DC mainline book that fits that description of the personali life of a teenager/ young adult. Wally West and his kids do have jobs and school, but they aren't in that age range. We'll see if Batgirls and Superman Son of Kal el will show their responsibilities including school and jobs.

Marvel has a Ms Marvel book, a Miles Morales book, a Kate Bishop book, Children of the atom, etc. And there are many independent companies with Spider-man derivatives
    Kamala and Kate's books are minis. So was Children of the Atom, which is finished. Champions was cancelled too, so the only ongoing teen books Marvel has right now are Miles Morales, Strange Academy, and New Mutants. Not that DC is any better. Superman, Robin, and Teen Titans Academy?
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Superman, Robin, and Teen Titans Academy?
    At least Robin and the Teen Titans Academy kids have no real civilian life (haven't read Jon-Kent-Superman so I don't know about him).