Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default The new Superman family

Anyone else interested in how the twins will be introduced to Jon, Ma & Pa Kent? Why haven’t we seen more of Connor with the Kent’s?

Quote Originally Posted by mrjames21 View Post
    Anyone else interested in how the twins will be introduced to Jon, Ma & Pa Kent? Why haven’t we seen more of Connor with the Kent’s?
    I'm excited for team Super so yes. The latter is surprising because bendis were writing both at the same time.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 12-27-2022 at 07:54 AM.

I love CW drama.

No. Because Clark and Lois should be barred from parenting small children until their boneheaded decision is actually addressed. At least Ma and Pa would be qualified to look after small, super powered kids.

Besides, I wanted Connor being a big brother/uncle figure to kid Jon. So much fun potential there.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    No. Because Clark and Lois should be barred from parenting small children until their boneheaded decision is actually addressed. At least Ma and Pa would be qualified to look after small, super powered kids.

Besides, I wanted Connor being a big brother/uncle figure to kid Jon. So much fun potential there.
    I agree on both counts. Pa and Ma should raise that concern.

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    I agree on both counts. Pa and Ma should raise that concern.
    Speaking of Ma and Pa Kent, I'd like to see how when Jon was a kid and after he was aged up, the Kents were dead so he never meant them, but when he became Superman, they were alive and supposedly there the entire time Jon was alive.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by garazza View Post
    Speaking of Ma and Pa Kent, I'd like to see how when Jon was a kid and after he was aged up, the Kents were dead so he never meant them, but when he became Superman, they were alive and supposedly there the entire time Jon was alive.
    Yeah, Jon has some of the most complicated comics history due to so many retcons and his awkwardly timed debut during convergence. Maybe the upcoming Clark and Lois 2 backups will show Jon interacting with Clark’s adopted parents in that?

I'm not a fan of specifically starting out with the intent to manufacture a family type dynamic. The Batfamily didn't start out with the idea of the Batfamily, it grew from loose connections in Batman's supporting cast to established relationships and dynamics that could only result over time and years of storytelling.

I'm still a relatively new reader, only starting in 2015, but I already assumed there was a Superfamily and it looked like it does now except without Jon, Kenan, and the twins because they didn't exist. Why Kara, Connor, and Steel (and whatever other Super-related characters I'm not familiar with) weren't already seen for Superman as filling out the same type of supporting cast the Robins and the Batgirls (and other ancillary Bat characters) did for Batman in creating what is now know as the Batfamily is something that confuses me, especially with PKJ acting like the Superfamily as seen in AC 1051 with all these new relationships and dynamics is this "for the first time ever, never before seen"-type thing when it's been a thing for a while now, since before I was comic book reader. The only new things are Jon, Kenan, and the twins and I think what they bring to the table would've already come about the same way that all these other Super characters did in creating what I already knew as the Superfamily. With time and years of storytelling.

But that's just me tho.
    Last edited by garazza; 12-27-2022 at 09:21 PM.

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Should be interesting, looking forward to seeing all the guys interacting. Reminds me of Detective Comics Rebirth, though hopefully without the hard character assassination Stephanie Brown went through or the annoying take thats constantly given to Batman.

I'm not a fan of specifically starting out with the intent to manufacture a family type dynamic. The Batfamily didn't start out with the idea of the Batfamily, it grew from loose connections in Batman's supporting cast to established relationships and dynamics that could only result over time and years of storytelling.

I'm still a relatively new reader, only starting in 2015, but I already assumed there was a Superfamily and it looked like it does now except without Jon, Kenan, and the twins because they didn't exist. Why Kara, Connor, and Steel (and whatever other Super-related characters I'm not familiar with) weren't already seen for Superman as filling out the same type of supporting cast the Robins and the Batgirls (and other ancillary Bat characters) did for Batman in creating what is now know as the Batfamily is something that confuses me, especially with PKJ acting like the Superfamily as seen in AC 1051 with all these new relationships and dynamics is this "for the first time ever, never before seen"-type thing when it's been a thing for a while now, since before I was comic book reader. The only new things are Jon, Kenan, and the twins and I think what they bring to the table would've already come about the same way that all these other Super characters did in creating what I already knew as the Superfamily. With time and years of storytelling.

But that's just me tho.
    I'm a fairly newish reader too, started around last decade, but from what I got the non-Batman families are far less centralized for various reasons not helped by how characters can be unused for years stemming primarily from DC not giving them the same care and structure they give Batman. Like how Connor was basically nowhere to be seen for years after the New 52 version died compared to the perpetuality of say the Robins.

I recall Wonder Woman suffers from this even worse, barely having any sort of noticeable relationships with the 2 Wonder Girls.

Or how Shazam since the New 52 has 3 new siblings alongside Mary and Freddy but barely any of them haven't gotten any development or appearances especially since Shazam hasn't gotten many ongoings. Its still unclear what exactly is the super-names for the rest of the Shazam Family, beyond Mary being Lady Shazam I think.
    Last edited by Mantis-Ray; 12-27-2022 at 09:52 PM.

But that's just me tho.
    Other characters did have families of their own like Flash, Superman and WW. They were less popular but still present till the new 52 disrupted it by rebooting. But the Batfamily is more consistently used in and out of comics so it gets remembered more.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Batfamily is remember cause and i quote "batman sells" that's it.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

I bring up the Batfamily only because it's the most prominent example of a superhero family.

I believe all the families are already centralized as the main superhero is the central figure of the family and everyone else are the derivatives (in the mathematical sense, not in the insulting sense) that fans would call legacy. What the Batfamily has that other don't is that it's actually structured rather than the more free-forming manner of the other families that makes them unique from one another and especially the Batfam. Batman is pretty unique as a character not only by maintaining a permanent sidekick character in the form of Robin but having multiple successive iterations of Robin.

While the other characters have had sidekicks in some form or another, no other character has anything even closely resembling the way Robin has been handled and that's actually a good thing and how they stand out as families. Kid Flash is nothing like Robin, Wonder Girl is nothing like Kid Flash, and Superboy is nothing like Wonder Girl, but all of those characters serve as allowing their main superhero to expand beyond being a standalone hero in a manner unique to them.

Superboy and Supergirl would be one of the male and female legacy roles in the Superfamily, much like Robin and Batgirl do in the Batfamily, but they function nothing alike even though they both would be seen as the first derivatives (again, in the mathematical sense) of Superman and Batman respectively. There have been multiple Superboys and Robins and as a result expand the family legacy, but Superboy isn't a mantle passed down in the same manner that Robin is, but there can't be multiple Robins at the same time (like Tim and Damian) the same way that there reasonably could be multiple Superboys (like Conner and Jon) at the same time.

Batgirl is also a mantle that is passed down, but Supergirl feels like something unique to Kara. However, Kara could reasonably be seen moving from Supergirl to Superwoman in a way that would be absurd for a Batgirl to move to Batwoman because Batwoman feels like something unique to Kate Kane, thus making Supergirl also feel like a Batwoman equivalent even though Batwoman is more of a tangential legacy rather than a derivative one (man, why do I keep using math terms).

I don't really know where I'm going with this but I could keep going with all the different mantles but it's too late for me to continue and I need to go to bed so I'll end with the idea that the codenames for the twins should be Superlad and Superlass.

Extraordinary Member

I bring up the Batfamily only because it's the most prominent example of a superhero family.

I believe all the families are already centralized as the main superhero is the central figure of the family and everyone else are the derivatives (in the mathematical sense, not in the insulting sense) that fans would call legacy. What the Batfamily has that other don't is that it's actually structured rather than the more free-forming manner of the other families that makes them unique from one another and especially the Batfam. Batman is pretty unique as a character not only by maintaining a permanent sidekick character in the form of Robin but having multiple successive iterations of Robin.

While the other characters have had sidekicks in some form or another, no other character has anything even closely resembling the way Robin has been handled and that's actually a good thing and how they stand out as families. Kid Flash is nothing like Robin, Wonder Girl is nothing like Kid Flash, and Superboy is nothing like Wonder Girl, but all of those characters serve as allowing their main superhero to expand beyond being a standalone hero in a manner unique to them.

Superboy and Supergirl would be one of the male and female legacy roles in the Superfamily, much like Robin and Batgirl do in the Batfamily, but they function nothing alike even though they both would be seen as the first derivatives (again, in the mathematical sense) of Superman and Batman respectively. There have been multiple Superboys and Robins and as a result expand the family legacy, but Superboy isn't a mantle passed down in the same manner that Robin is, but there can't be multiple Robins at the same time (like Tim and Damian) the same way that there reasonably could be multiple Superboys (like Conner and Jon) at the same time.

Batgirl is also a mantle that is passed down, but Supergirl feels like something unique to Kara. However, Kara could reasonably be seen moving from Supergirl to Superwoman in a way that would be absurd for a Batgirl to move to Batwoman because Batwoman feels like something unique to Kate Kane, thus making Supergirl also feel like a Batwoman equivalent even though Batwoman is more of a tangential legacy rather than a derivative one (man, why do I keep using math terms).

I don't really know where I'm going with this but I could keep going with all the different mantles but it's too late for me to continue and I need to go to bed so I'll end with the idea that the codenames for the twins should be Superlad and Superlass.
    If Lana Lang we’re still Siperwoman, would you still feel the same way?
    Also unlike Robin where Dick and Jason have “graduated” to Nightwing and Red Hood, there is no such thing for Superboys.

Matrix, Linda Danvers and Cir-El have all used the Supergirl name too though. I could see Kara moving on to being Superwoman and letting someone else use the Supergirl name.

It's hard for me to look at the twins as anything other than lazy replacements for Kid Jon.

And all that does is make me wonder why we can't have Kid Jon back.

Seeing Kid Jon have fleshed out interactions with Ma and Pa Kent actually excites me. Like seriously, why the hell are we still keeping Teen Jon around at this point?
    Last edited by dreyga2000; 12-28-2022 at 08:15 AM.