Page 52 of 68 FirstFirst ... 24248495051525354555662 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member The Frog Bros's Avatar
    “Look, you can’t put the Superman #77s with the #200s. They haven’t even discovered Red Kryptonite yet. And you can’t put the #98s with the #300s, Lori Lemaris hasn’t even been introduced.” — Sam
    “Where the hell are you from? Krypton?” — Edgar Frog

Did she borrow Conner's jacket and Stargirl's boots there?
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Astonishing Member The Frog Bros's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Did she borrow Conner's jacket and Stargirl's boots there?
    Lol, maybe. Hope she doesn't drip any of that cheeseburger on either. That would be a shame.
    “Look, you can’t put the Superman #77s with the #200s. They haven’t even discovered Red Kryptonite yet. And you can’t put the #98s with the #300s, Lori Lemaris hasn’t even been introduced.” — Sam
    “Where the hell are you from? Krypton?” — Edgar Frog

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

I personally am bored of the straight laced super nice Kara that they have seemingly gone back to. Give her some edge again and a more interesting outfit.

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    Yeah, I really don’t like her outdated new hairstyle. And Conner looking 12 only so he’s not bigger than Jon Kent lol.
    Yeah its stupid. Conner should be the jacked "Jock" one while Conner is the toned/lean athletic one
    Last edited by Primal Slayer; 09-30-2022 at 09:00 AM.

Supergirl with an edge always just feels to me like it's begging for more evil or unlikeable Supergirl stories.

I think she can have a temper, even Benoists' Supergirl did.
    There's nothing wrong with the costume itself, but her short hair has already caused her to be miscoloured once because someone mistook her for Jon (despite him being in the same scene!). I think the current look was supposed to signify that she's an adult and not a teenager any more... but what 21 year old in real life wears that hairstyle?
    I don't see the appeal of the current costume myself unless you just really, really think Kara should wear pants for some reason .

Re member

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    I assume its on purpose but....why the hell does she look like she jumped straight out of 1960?
    Sometimes it seems like for the last couple of years she is whomever and looks like whatever the creative team wants for the story they’re telling.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Supergirl with an edge always just feels to me like it's begging for more evil or unlikeable Supergirl stories.

I mean...even when she's a goody two shoes it doesnt automatically equate to good stories. Having edge just means she isn't miss happy go lucky, super sweet. I dont need her to be moody but someone who enjoys life, takes no bull, and somewhat sarcastic lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    I mean...even when she's a goody two shoes it doesnt automatically equate to good stories. Having edge just means she isn't miss happy go lucky, super sweet. I dont need her to be moody but someone who enjoys life, takes no bull, and somewhat sarcastic lol.
    Oh, I actually don't have any problems with Kara exhibiting those traits, in fact I don't think they even have to work against her generally optimistic and kind personality .

Oh, I actually don't have any problems with Kara exhibiting those traits, in fact I don't think they even have to work against her generally optimistic and kind personality .
    I think the root of the divergence between how you and I see her is you view Kara as an optimist and I think she’s more of a pessimist.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    I think the root of the divergence between how you and I see her is you view Kara as an optimist and I think she’s more of a pessimist.
    I guess to me it feels like she's presented more often as an optimist than a pessimist because writers don't often try to dwell on or linger on the emotional trauma she went through and I just don't think Supergirl reads well as a cynical character.

I guess to me it feels like she's presented more often as an optimist than a pessimist because writers don't often try to dwell on or linger on the emotional trauma she went through and I just don't think Supergirl reads well as a cynical character.
    well, one example that comes to my mind was Supergirl vs Blackrock. Kara tried talking Lucia down... despite Lucia having NO interest in being a nice person.

I don't see the appeal of the current costume myself unless you just really, really think Kara should wear pants for some reason .
    Well, both the Arrowverse and DCEU Supergirls have pants, that'll be why they did it in the comics. As long as it has the blue red and yellow colours, it doesn't really matter if she has pants or a skirt. I don't see a major issue with the current costume on it's own, but in tandem with the short hair it's caused at least one art error with someone colouring the hair black thinking it's Jon (it was a small image of her flying and you couldn't see her face - the JL statues scene in Dark Crisis #1) and depending on the artist can look dated.

About the characterisation, hasn't it always been pretty inconsistent? And unlike Clark, Kara's never been able to maintain a constant supporting cast.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Incredible Member

You can be an optmist and still have an edge, those are the versions of Kara I like the most.

And it makes sense because she wasn't a baby when Krypton went boom like Clark was. I consider myself an optimistic person, but I was a 16/18/21 year old and suddendly lost everyone I love along my entire planet and everything I loved and had to go live with a group of identical-looking aliens and a family member I barely know, I'd be pretty pissed off too, even if I tried to keep going and be happy.

Well, both the Arrowverse and DCEU Supergirls have pants, that'll be why they did it in the comics. As long as it has the blue red and yellow colours, it doesn't really matter if she has pants or a skirt. I don't see a major issue with the current costume on it's own, but in tandem with the short hair it's caused at least one art error with someone colouring the hair black thinking it's Jon (it was a small image of her flying and you couldn't see her face - the JL statues scene in Dark Crisis #1) and depending on the artist can look dated.

About the characterisation, hasn't it always been pretty inconsistent? And unlike Clark, Kara's never been able to maintain a constant supporting cast.
    I mean, from a design perspective I think there's more to it than putting her in pants, because the skirt helped with the color balance and it just makes her suit more generic or like Clark.

I mean, I guess we can see her butt now ?

Re member

Her characterization seems to remain consistent throughout the term of a writer, then will change with a new writer who wants to do something different or has a different “vision”. The same thing happens with supporting cast, everything gets tossed in the air with a new creative team because they want to go in a new direction. I assume that’s because DC doesn’t have a strong editorial plan for her, so the creators do whatever they want.