Page 34 of 68 FirstFirst ... 2430313233343536373844 ... LastLast
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Quote Originally Posted by 9th. View Post
    Has S5 even been confirmed?
    No. There's still been no official renewal.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Cute freckles .
    Should Kara be able to get freckles? For that matter, can a Kryptonian get a sun tan?

Quote Originally Posted by seismic-2 View Post
    Should Kara be able to get freckles? For that matter, can a Kryptonian get a sun tan?
    This reminds me of scientists saying Clark and Kara would have dark skin because of their solar absorption.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    This reminds me of scientists saying Clark and Kara would have dark skin because of their solar absorption.
    The logic of that is wrong and it wasn’t “scientists” as much as bloggers. Solar radiation isn’t in the visible light spectrum, so the skin color wouldn’t be a shade we could see if it actually affected their ability absorb radiation. Besides that, if we did accept melanin as affecting the ability to absorb solar radiation, it would actually make less sense. Melanin blocks the sun from affecting cells, it’s why darker skin people are at less risk of skin cancer, and also why darker skin people living closer to the poles have to take vitamin D supplements because the sun is less intense than at the equator. So their skin filters out more of the light and their cells aren’t getting enough Vitamin D because they’re built for areas with heavier sunlight exposure. So darker skin doesn’t “make more sense” if Kryptonians are meant to absorb sunlight.

Not that it matters because it’s all bullshit science anyway. “Realistically” Kryptonians wouldn’t look anything like us at all. Sorry to go off on a tangent, that article just annoyed me because it didn’t make the logical sense it claimed it did.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    The logic of that is wrong and it wasn’t “scientists” as much as bloggers. Solar radiation isn’t in the visible light spectrum, so the skin color wouldn’t be a shade we could see if it actually affected their ability absorb radiation. Besides that, if we did accept melanin as affecting the ability to absorb solar radiation, it would actually make less sense. Melanin blocks the sun from affecting cells, it’s why darker skin people are at less risk of skin cancer, and also why darker skin people living closer to the poles have to take vitamin D supplements because the sun is less intense than at the equator. So their skin filters out more of the light and their cells aren’t getting enough Vitamin D because they’re built for areas with heavier sunlight exposure. So darker skin doesn’t “make more sense” if Kryptonians are meant to absorb sunlight.

Not that it matters because it’s all bullshit science anyway. “Realistically” Kryptonians wouldn’t look anything like us at all. Sorry to go off on a tangent, that article just annoyed me because it didn’t make the logical sense it claimed it did.
    Oh okay. Thanks for the correction .

I actually had a serious think about that and came to the conclusion that if you were to take a human, give them a gene that prevents UV damage to the skin... they'd become albinos. Why? because melanin is produced as a reaction to light exposure. How much melanin would you produce if you never had any exposure at all? Enh... maybe some, but very little.

Astonishing Member

The logic of that is wrong and it wasn’t “scientists” as much as bloggers. Solar radiation isn’t in the visible light spectrum
    But Superman is powered by light from a yellow sun and not from light from a red sun. So the visible portion of the spectrum seems to be critical.

Quote Originally Posted by seismic-2 View Post
    But Superman is powered by light from a yellow sun and not from light from a red sun. So the visible portion of the spectrum seems to be critical.
    Honestly the “science” is bullshit and doesn’t really hold up if you think about it, but it’s seemingly the radiation given off that is crucial. Yellow suns are “younger” and “stronger” if I remember right so I guess that is the key factor? Red suns are older and weaker so Kryptonians aren’t getting enough radiation in their cells to manifest powers.
    Last edited by Vordan; 06-12-2022 at 06:02 PM.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Honestly the “science” is bullshit and doesn’t really hold up if you think about it, but it’s seemingly the radiation given off that is crucial. Yellow suns are “younger” and “stronger” if I remember right so I guess that is the key factor? Red suns are older and weaker so Kryptonians aren’t getting enough radiation in their cells to manifest powers.
    You want real-world logic? ok! It's wavelength.

Why? Well Betelgeuse is a MASSIVE star that puts out way more energy than our sun. But it's red and thus would not power a Kryptonian.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    You want real-world logic? ok! It's wavelength.

Why? Well Betelgeuse is a MASSIVE star that puts out way more energy than our sun. But it's red and thus would not power a Kryptonian.
    Right. If it were just the total energy in the starlight that powers Superman, he could simply fly really close to a red sun and absorb way more total energy in a short while than he absorbs from our yellow sun, 93 million miles away, in a whole day. But as you say, it's the wavelength! Apparently Kryptonian skin functions as a narrow-band filter. Only yellow light is able to get though and activate the photocells.

Female World's Finest .

I like the Evely suit but I do think the belt should be smaller and around her waist like so:

(Also prefer long haired Kara)

I like the Evely suit but I do think the belt should be smaller and around her waist like so:

(Also prefer long haired Kara)
    I also prefer long-haired Kara and just find this look kind of boring. There's just too much blue, especially with the pants.