Page 11 of 43 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    Anything with Wild in the name sounds like a "Contains Dangerous Levels of 90s" name, or like a sidekick to Adam X.

And as fitting a name as Fisher might be (a Fisher is the slightly smaller, but faster and smarter cousin to the wolverine) it also sounds incredibly stupid.
    You know what's incredible stupid? Making a fem!Logan out of an established unique character and slapping the name Wolverine on it when the character is no longer dead. Its far closer to the name Talon as it can get and it isn't going to have marketing problems with another major comic player. That name is the closest that matches to Laura's former individuality, personality and history. So what if it sounds 90s-ish? From the way you worded it, "Contains Dangerous Levels of 90s" describes Laura in one phrase.
    Last edited by SiycoBatSquirrel; 02-07-2022 at 03:04 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by SiycoBatSquirrel View Post
    You know what's incredible stupid? Making a fem!Logan out of an established unique character and slapping the name Wolverine on it when the character is no longer dead. Its far closer to the name Talon as it can get and it isn't going to have marketing problems with another major comic player. That name is the closest that matches to Laura's former individuality, personality and history. So what if it sounds 90s-ish? From the way you worded it, "Contains Dangerous Levels of 90s" describes Laura in one phrase.
    There's nothing 90s about Laura. She's very much a 2000s character.

I don’t think there being a DC Talon is that big of an issue.

It isn’t like DC Talon is an icon on the level of Batman, Superman or Wondy.

The average person isn’t going to know much or anything about DC Talon.

Hell, I read Batfamily comics occasionally and watch all of the DC movies/animated films, + most of the series, and I have no idea who or what DC Talon is.

Quote Originally Posted by Beaubier View Post
    I don’t think there being a DC Talon is that big of an issue.

It isn’t like DC Talon is an icon on the level of Batman, Superman or Wondy.

The average person isn’t going to know much or anything about DC Talon.

Hell, I read Batfamily comics occasionally and watch all of the DC movies/animated films, + most of the series, and I have no idea who or what DC Talon is.
    The other way around is a problem though. Many people know X-23 so if she would go by that name now people would notice and someone at DC would jump at the chance of claiming copyright. I mean in Doctor Strange 2 we will be getting Shuma-Gorath but for the movie Marvel renamed him to Gargantos just to protect themselves from copyright claims.
    It's an ugly business and people look for every chance they can get. After all it's basically free money if you are successful with your claim.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Galerion View Post
    The other way around is a problem though. Many people know X-23 so if she would go by that name now people would notice and someone at DC would jump at the chance of claiming copyright. I mean in Doctor Strange 2 we will be getting Shuma-Gorath but for the movie Marvel renamed him to Gargantos just to protect themselves from copyright claims.
    It's an ugly business and people look for every chance they can get. After all it's basically free money if you are successful with your claim.
    Pretty much this. Whether the average person doesn't know doesn't matter. DC knows. And not only will they defend their copyright and trademark they actually HAVE to: If they don't they risk losing them altogether.

For example: Sierra released an adventure game back in 1988 called Hero's Quest (probably still one of my favorite games ever). Shortly after Milton Bradley released a D&D-inspired board game called HeroQuest. Sierra failed to protect their trademark in a timely fashion, so lost the name and had to retitle the series Quest for Glory.

So believe me, DC and Marvel don't care about what the "average person" knows about the character. They WILL defend their brand against their chief competitor. If Marvel tries to have Laura pick up the Talon name, DC is going to take action.

#1 Apparently there’s already a Marvel character named Talon, I’m not sure who predates who.
    #2 There are other characters called Talon outside of comics.

With that being said. I find it very unlikely DC would try to take action. It’d be a very large can of worms which they may not even win.

Quote Originally Posted by Galerion View Post
    That is dope!
    You brought back Wolverine

The CBR Community Standards a.k.a how to get along.

Pretty awesome. Grandpa Logan is dead now, though.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    There's nothing 90s about Laura. She's very much a 2000s character.
    For a 90's "Female Wolverine" i would argue that Wild Thing from the Spidergirl Universe is the most fitting example.

She even comes with the more mundane triple blade setup, albeit they are energy claws (i don't know enough about the universe how that happend, especialy since her mother is Elektra...).

Funny how Marvel has forgotten her in all the Wolverine offspring craze of the recent years.

#1 Apparently there’s already a Marvel character named Talon, I’m not sure who predates who.
    #2 There are other characters called Talon outside of comics.

With that being said. I find it very unlikely DC would try to take action. It’d be a very large can of worms which they may not even win.
    And over a name, which i think is still not really fitting Laura. So i find it all redundant anyway. The energy could be better spend on actualy finding a matching unused name.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Grunty View Post
    For a 90's "Female Wolverine" i would argue that Wild Thing from the Spidergirl Universe is the most fitting example.

She even comes with the more mundane triple blade setup, albeit they are energy claws (i don't know enough about the universe how that happend, especialy since her mother is Elektra...).

Funny how Marvel has forgotten her in all the Wolverine offspring craze of the recent years.

And over a name, which i think is still not really fitting Laura. So i find it all redundant anyway. The energy could be better spend on actualy finding a matching unused name.
    Some options sticking with the theme:

Polecat
    Stoat
    Grison (South American Wolverine)
    Marten
    Fisher
    Weasel
    Ferret
    Mink
    Badger (might sound too much like Honey Badger)

Although given Laura’s reliance emphasis on stealth, and that there’s a lot of elements of her personality and behavior (especially early in her development, that struck me as cat-like, maybe some sort of “cat” name.

Wildcat
    Bobcat
    Cougar
    Lynx
    Puma

Astonishing Member

Polecat
    Stoat
    Marten
    Fisher
    Weasel
    Ferret
    Mink

Although given Laura’s reliance emphasis on stealth, and that there’s a lot of elements of her personality and behavior (especially early in her development, that struck me as cat-like, maybe some sort of “cat” name.

Wildcat
    Bobcat
    Cougar
    Lynx
    Puma
    For some reason i like Mink. It short, simple, fits her being smaller and slimmer than logan and having a more agile fighting style. Though i'm afraid it sounds too "cute" and doesn't have enough bombast to fit an off-shot of the "impressive" Wolverine.

Yeah it's even difficult for me to percieve her outside ol' Logans shadow.

Also seeing how you included Marten what about Tayra (same sub-family of "Guloninae" as wolverines)? I guess it sounds too much like the name of a high fantasy elven warrior maybe?

Looking at the cat names, i'm getting reminded that the "wolf" in the name "wolverine" has often caused artists and writers to associate him with actualy wolves, including Daken being the term for a mongrel dog.
    So perhaps instead of trying to contain it one might just go for canid related names to have some consistency with the other branch of Wolverine's offpsrings.

Even though we could also go beyond animal terms (espionage, combat, concepts, weapons) on second thought i guess sticking to those would be easier for people to remember in the long run.

Edit: Should we exclude a modification of Cassowary though? It's basicly a flightless bird infamous for having an extremely long foot claw that is noted to have been used to kill people, which fits her fighting style quite well (infact more so than wolverines ironicaly). Albeit i admit it doesn't flow very well and the image of the actual bird might be too comical (like with Emus and Ostrichs though you only laugh until you meet one though).
    Last edited by Grunty; 02-12-2022 at 06:24 PM.

Polecat
    Stoat
    Marten
    Fisher
    Weasel
    Ferret
    Mink

Wildcat
    Bobcat
    Cougar
    Lynx
    Puma
    The only ones of those names I could see working are Lynx or possibly Wildcat. Cougar, for example, would make her the butt of many jokes, and polecat as a codename has stripper vibes. Weasel is typically used as an insult. The others just don’t sound good to me. I could potentially see “Lioness” working, as weren’t lionesses the inspiration for her footclaws?

Though tbh I think Laura would do just fine getting rid of codenames altogether. I’m not entirely convinced she needs one and can stand on her own, like Jean Grey or Kitty Pryde.

Polecat
    Stoat
    Marten
    Fisher
    Weasel
    Ferret
    Mink

Wildcat
    Bobcat
    Cougar
    Lynx
    Puma
    Fisher would be great for some frenemy type character to troll her with. "Wolverine, no, I met him and it wasn't you. The little one is Honey Badger? That must make you.....Fisher." The gag for people who know is how appropriate the name would actually be - A fisher is the slightly smaller but much sleeker cousin of the Wolverine (I grew up in an area where they were native). The description I give people who don't know is to tell them to imagine a 3' (1 meter) long near black ferret that can outclimb any cat, outrun hares, and outsmart monkeys. Plus, when they see porcupines they don't think Ouch Mouse, but Easy Meal (and they regularly pull it off, being the primary natural predator of the things).
    Dark does not mean deep.

BANNED

The only ones of those names I could see working are Lynx or possibly Wildcat. Cougar, for example, would make her the butt of many jokes, and polecat as a codename has stripper vibes. Weasel is typically used as an insult. The others just don’t sound good to me. I could potentially see “Lioness” working, as weren’t lionesses the inspiration for her footclaws?

Though tbh I think Laura would do just fine getting rid of codenames altogether. I’m not entirely convinced she needs one and can stand on her own, like Jean Grey or Kitty Pryde.
    That's another reason why I thought such a name could be fitting. Clearly, KYost themselves envisioned her as more like a cat (that scene of her perched on a chair staring at Hellion sleeping after he saved her from Nimrod has VERY feline vibes). Lynx and Wildcat certainly do have a certain ring to them. Though given her background in NYX Polecat's connotations are sort of appropriate.