Page 21 of 43 FirstFirst ... 1117181920212223242531 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nazrel View Post
    I don't recall her having any preexisting relationship to Maggot, didn't he die in neverland before she ever joined the X-men?
    They did. But now there friends and this is the best we're going to be getting for a while

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Nazrel View Post
    I don't recall her having any preexisting relationship to Maggot, didn't he die in neverland before she ever joined the X-men?
    Fans: We want to see Laura hanging out with her friends again! Hellion, and Dust, and Mercury, and Kiden Nixon!

Marvel: Here's Maggot.

I'm pretty sure Jordan White had a hand in that ENTIRELY because he knew it would annoy the fans.

BANNED

The Clone Wars would have been over in HOURS with THIS army.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    The Clone Wars would have been over in HOURS with THIS army.
    I get the joke, but my boring and rational mind right away starts to consider all the elements of this theoretical clone wars like logistic, formation and maintance of forces, army size, technological development, transporation, tactics, strategies, etc.

Which of course might be more than several of the writers of the cartoons, novels and video games that deal with the clone wars (logic takes the backseat to fun, as long as the fun isn't so badly written that logic comes back with a vengance).

This in turn brings me back to HOX/POX and how after the reveal of the chimeras i had some fun pondering about how a "mutant army" of the mass produced purpose designed chimeras could have looked like.

With that in mind, an elite unit or even army of X-23 might in the long run not be as impressive as it might sound on paper. Especialy since the "inverse ninja law" (one ninja = one many army, many ninja = easily killed redshirts) might kick in pretty quickly until there is only a single X-23 left...

"This is me being reasonable"

Quote Originally Posted by Galerion View Post
    Damn, she’s pretty frightening.

Fantastic Member Ulysian_Thracs's Avatar

Ugh. They need to keep this entire Krakoa mess the hell OUT of the films.
    Yes! This! I think (hope?) this is all a dream sequence or alternate reality, because to me the whole appeal of X-men was how they were strong and persecuted. This Magneto-esque Mutants Superior Society feels weird to me.

Quote Originally Posted by The Agent of Chaos View Post
    Isn't that what the resurrection protocols basically are though? Making duplicates of the deceased with their memories?
    This is actually deep philosophical sh!t, asking what is meant when we reference ‘I’ or self. But I don’t understand how nobody has even pointed out they are not being resurrected. There’s a body. There’s a backup copy of your memories…but it isn’t you! They could make a duplicate that stands right next to you and your wouldn’t see out of its eyes or think its thoughts. It would be (and is) an entirely different sentience, so this is all really just one big con job.

‘You die, and we replace you with a copy because all I really care about is what you can do for me. I mean we care about what you can do for mutants. Right Erik?’ ~Charles Xavier (probably)

Quote Originally Posted by davetvs View Post
    Laura and Ev are so cute in X-Men 8. I'm glad their relationship is getting more development, I really like them together. Hellion and Monet would probably make a better couple than Monet/Synch or Hellion/Laura, tbh.
    I don’t see the connection btw Laura and Synch, honestly. Someone else pointed out it took 200+ years for them to start something, and that makes sense bc he’s just too nice for her. I haven't seen anything that suggests Laura likes or respects nice guys. She dropped the last guy who was really there for her (Hellion) like a bad habit as soon as she made some cool new friends who got her into all the cool parties (Gambit and Jubilee). I feel like this would just be a retread of that relationship and she would break Synch's heart (again) because they don’t write Laura with any growth in the emotional maturity department.

But I see do Monet & Julian as a really good couple, too. They both come from a billionaire background and hide serious emotional issues under their arrogance and sass. And they’re both powerful in their own rights and can both wreck sh!t up. Even if Laura and Julian are endgame (Old Woman Laura?), they both need to get their sh!t together before they reconnect. He needs to find a way to be a hero on his own terms instead of staying is high school forever or chasing her around, and she needs to grow up and realize there’s more to romantic love than physically protecting your partner in dangerous situations. (Which seems like the entirety of her relationships with both Hellion and Synch, and her recklessness/death wish destroyed her relationship with teen-Angel, too.) It’s sad, because Laura is such a great character when she is written right, but most of the time I feel she could literally just be replaced on the page with Logan without even changing the dialogue and I wouldn’t know the difference. And that’s such a waste!

I think Monet is the same as Laura in that she needs that perfectly loyal partner who won’t judge her and always be there to lift her up, while Monet is certainly the exotic badass but very damaged and bad temper HBIC Julian goes for. It seems like he needs to be needed in his relationships, both romantically and friendships (Mercury). And unlike Laura, they’ve written real emotional growth in Monet with the therapy and everything. I think she would appreciate a nice guy whereas Laura isn't mature enough to (yet). And as fans reading the story, this could work really well and be the relationship Helix shippers like me wanted AND the Monet relationship she would’ve gotten if they didn’t kill nice guy Synch off.

This could actually be it’s own little self contained mini or arc, the more I think about it. I imagine this to be something like Psylocke sets them up, and at first they are really competitive and do the flirt/fighting thing. But there’s a spark and they realize both are mostly fronting with their sh!tty attitudes. They open up more on the second and third dates, and then they’re just there for each other during the bad times and PTSD attacks, because they’re both really caring and intensely loyal people underneath their armor.

Monet’s whacko brother comes back and Julian steps up to help put him down and rescue her little siblings. Things get serious and he meets her dad and then gets jealous of her family and money and fame, since he was disowned and can’t get on a Team while she is running the biggest company in the world. It would be interesting to explore the power and gender (and maybe even racial) dynamics of that relationship internally and externally. Especially with Hellion, a proud stereotypical Alpha male who as always been attracted to strong women.

I see Hellion pulling one of his trademark stupid stunts with his parents or the Kingmaker (would LOVE to see him back) to get his own money and feel equal. She saves his ass this time, and tells him they’re a 'we' and she makes enough money for him to just go do his hero thing. Then she helps him build an X-Corp security team with his old New X-men friends so he FINALLY gets on a team (in my mind Logan and/or Scott are clearly still blackballing Hellion, bc there’s no way his power set isn’t exponentially more useful than at least half the mutants selected for the various teams!!!)

Sorry for the long post. Just some head cannon bc neither of them is getting the attention they deserve while the four dozen Summers and the Greys take up the bulk of the page space. :c(

Here's my very cool splash page by Mike Choi from his X-Force run.

MDS00525.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by topfueluhl View Post
    Here's my very cool splash page by Mike Choi from his X-Force run.

MDS00525.jpg
    Wonder if x-terminators will touch on Laura saving boom boom’s ass from the leper queen? You’d think she’d be grateful.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Shampoozie View Post
    Wonder if x-terminators will touch on Laura saving boom boom’s ass from the leper queen? You’d think she’d be grateful.
    I'd be surprised if anyone at Marvel even remembers this was a thing.

I'd be surprised if anyone at Marvel even remembers this was a thing.
    Also wonder if x has ever met dazzler. I remember her going to a dazzler concert in one of her series.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Shampoozie View Post
    Also wonder if x has ever met dazzler. I remember her going to a dazzler concert in one of her series.
    Yeah, it was in Target X, with Megan.

And dammit, Laura JUST got to reconnect with Megan and Debbie again, and then Krakoa happened.

Quote Originally Posted by Ulysian_Thracs View Post
    This is actually deep philosophical sh!t, asking what is meant when we reference ‘I’ or self. But I don’t understand how nobody has even pointed out they are not being resurrected. There’s a body. There’s a backup copy of your memories…but it isn’t you! They could make a duplicate that stands right next to you and your wouldn’t see out of its eyes or think its thoughts. It would be (and is) an entirely different sentience, so this is all really just one big con job.

‘You die, and we replace you with a copy because all I really care about is what you can do for me. I mean we care about what you can do for mutants. Right Erik?’ ~Charles Xavier (probably)(
    Seriously, children's shows expect people to instantly grasp the implications of something like that.

https://youtu.be/VNVKSxGauLE?t=45 (spoilers for Amphibia)
    Last edited by Nazrel; 07-09-2022 at 08:24 AM.
    Context is king.

X-23's most basic surface level characteristic that any idiot should grasp: Stoicism.
    I don't demand that her every minor appearance be a nuance in-depth examination of her character, but is it to much to ask she be written in Archetype?! This is storytelling 101! If you want people to stay invested in a character, you need to, at the bare minimum, write them such a way that they can plausibly be believed to be the same character!

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

I saw Laura in the cover solicit for Crypt of Shadows which looks like some Moon Knight event one-shot.

"Cable was right!"

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    I saw Laura in the cover solicit for Crypt of Shadows which looks like some Moon Knight event one-shot.

Cool that she is on the cover. Hopefully she will get some speaking role unlike hellfire gala. Also, that a weird group she’s hanging with. Don’t believe she’s met any of them so far