Page 27 of 43 FirstFirst ... 1723242526272829303137 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Ulysian_Thracs View Post
    You know the character much better than me, but I thought Laura was the same 17-18 (maybe 19, but more likely still HS aged) as Hellion and the other New X-Men?
    ANW said she was cloned "20 years ago," and then the Tamaki X-23 book gave her a birthday in the first issue. The rest of the NXM would still be about the same age, 18 on the young end, 20-21 for the eldest.

Yeah - and then you have the New Mutants and Kate Pryde who should be around 24-26 (if we assume that events that happened around 1981 was 10 years ago in-universe - 1961 is around 15 years ago, so stuff published around 2001 should be five years ago) and the O5 X-Men should be around 29-31 (Bobby's the same age as Spider-Man and Human Torch, the others are slightly older).

Based on that, Laura would've aged by about four years since her debut.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    Given that Laura's entire character arc under Duggan was angsting about having died and not remembering centuries because Wolverine MUST have amnesia angst, I'm fully expecting them to hammer home the "Am I real?" existential drama.
    I predict that OG Laura is going to marry Synch and the two of them ride off into the sunset. Clone Laura will continue to be Wolverine.

Or they could do what last week's episode of Rick and Morty did. If you've seen it you know what I mean. LMAO /jk

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Agent of Chaos View Post
    I predict that OG Laura is going to marry Synch and the two of them ride off into the sunset. Clone Laura will continue to be Wolverine.

Or they could do what last week's episode of Rick and Morty did. If you've seen it you know what I mean. LMAO /jk
    Honestly wouldn't be the first time they did that. Rember what ultimatel quick sliver and scarlet witch while logan watched

I just realized something. Now both Cyclops and Wolverine have children who are older than them due to time travel.
    Last edited by Gnostic; 09-27-2022 at 07:23 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by The Agent of Chaos View Post
    I just realized something. Now both Cyclops and Wolverine have children who are older than them due to time travel.
    Vault Laura isn't time travel. Time dilation would be more accurate.

Astonishing Member

So the tag line for xmen 16 is spoilers:
    the xmen we left behind and we never saw vault laura die so
    end of spoilers

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dthirds3 View Post
    So the tag line for xmen 16 is spoilers:
    the xmen we left behind and we never saw vault laura die so
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    It seems all but confirmed sheÂ’s coming back. Curious how they play that. SheÂ’ll be several centuries older than even Synch. I could see a good character story with clone Laura and original Laura working out some issues around cloning. For all that Laura accepts her clones and clone status, she and her clones donÂ’t partially share memories or personality with each other. Until now.

Curious if the clone rule comes up here. ItÂ’s been relaxed in the past but Kid Cable and Old Cable werenÂ’t allowed to coexist. That seems more relevant a precedent than Gabby.

From a meta perspective I find it hard for writers to rationalize clone Laura being on teams when her far more experienced original exists. Since Marvel isn’t terribly big on character focused stories at the moment I’m a bit concerned that clone Laura will be even more heavily sidelined as a result. Her only real saving grace is the strength of the status quo in comics. But she also isn’t really treated like an A-Lister so the “Change. Nothing.” rules might not apply to her. We’ll have to see how this arc and X-Terminators go, I guess.
    end of spoilers

Amazing Member

Not really a spoiler, more like prediction, but I'll hide it
    spoilers:
    I have a weird feeling old Laura will escape the Vault and Cerebro will get her memories. And since she is the same as current Laura, then they might put her memories in Laura during next resurrection.
    end of spoilers

spoilers:
    Good call. Younger Laura needs to die and be resurrected at some point to fix the full body adamantium skeleton mistake that happened last time she was brought back. So, they might kill both and merge them.
    end of spoilers
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    spoilers:
    Good call. Younger Laura needs to die and be resurrected at some point to fix the full body adamantium skeleton mistake that happened last time she was brought back. So, they might kill both and merge them.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    Oh HELL no. The entire Vault story was misconceived from the start. She doesn't need that baggage.
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    spoilers:
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    God this era is so %$#@ed up that anyone would even suggest that. Again, she could just get Polaris to rip it out (and it looks like that issue is resolved by X-terminators.) Plus, this event kinda undermines the idea that the entire resurrection process was doing anything but pumping out copies to begin with, and her simply being "resurrected" missing hundreds of years of life, would have been reason enough for her to distrust the system.
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by Nazrel; 09-29-2022 at 03:35 PM.
    Context is king.

X-23's most basic surface level characteristic that any idiot should grasp: Stoicism.
    I don't demand that her every minor appearance be a nuance in-depth examination of her character, but is it to much to ask she be written in Archetype?! This is storytelling 101! If you want people to stay invested in a character, you need to, at the bare minimum, write them such a way that they can plausibly be believed to be the same character!

Astonishing Member

spoilers:
    Oh HELL no. The entire Vault story was misconceived from the start. She doesn't need that baggage.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    It seemed to have had a bigger purpose in Hickman's plan which would have likely ended in everything being erased from mainline continuity anyway, though i agree that original Laura was just sacrificed as device to build up "New Synch" in it (sorry but i just don't feel like he is a continuation of the original, as much as he is a brand new character given his identity) while it has no value for Laura herself.

So i also agree that it would just add needless baggage for practically nothing of narrative value.

Especialy since the Vault is a closed isolated location with no relation, impact or connection to the wider Marvel universe. Worse yet it has no real characters of interesting backrounds or personality. It only has a small group of repeating names and visual designs not even attached to the same characters.
    Overall the Children are just another "doom the world" device and seem to get treated and quickly used up by the writers accordingly. Which ultimately makes any amount of time spend in it worthless in relation to stories which could take place in the rest of the Marvel Universe.

Even if old Laura became the bestest fighter ever in the Vault, it doesn't really add anything to the character since she allready was established as one of the best human fighters in the MU and even with thousands of years of combat experience other characters like Logan himself will still outclass her thanks to popularity power and writer favoritism.

Infact Logan with his maybe 200 years of age will also narratively still heavily outclass Vault Laura with her 1000 or so years, simply because he spend those years in the "real" Marvel Universe and it's internal history. Giving him a massive timespan in which he met people or was involved in events, while Vault Laura only ever interacted with the Children.

So yeah let's hope the Vault Laura thing will be resolved without adding needless baggae to regular Laura which would either needed to be ignored or rebooted away.
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by Nazrel View Post
    spoilers:
    God this era is so %$#@ed up that anyone would even suggest that. Again, she could just get Polaris to rip it out (and it looks like that issue is resolved by X-terminators.) Plus, this event kinda undermines the idea that the entire resurrection process was doing anything but pumping out copies to begin with, and her simply being "resurrected" missing hundreds of years of life, would have been reason enough for her to distrust the system.
    end of spoilers
    It sometimes feels like the RP and both the overreliance and casual way of using it has created a Rick Sanchez level of problem solving mentality.

BANNED

Mentioned this over in the "Introduce mutants to the MCU" thread, but since the announcement Hugh Jackman is returning X-23 has begun trending on Twitter. There's a LOT of support on social media for bringing back Dafne Keen to play her.

With Ryan and Hugh making it clear Deadpool 3 is NOT going to be stepping on the ending of Logan and that it will remain canon, one of the easiest ways to address that would be to have Daf return as THAT version of Laura through some combination of time travel or multiversal shenanigans, and making it explicit she's from the Logan universe. Plus you could have a real tearjerker of a scene she's confronted by a younger version of Logan himself.

Incidentally, did a dirty little photoshop of Daf with green eyes. I tried to make it more of a realistic shade with slight hints of brown, rather than the more vivid green you usually see in artwork. Could probably be done either digitally or with contacts if they wanted to go a more comics-accurate route:

DafGreenEyes.jpg
    Last edited by Ambaryerno; 09-29-2022 at 07:46 PM.

Fantastic Member Ulysian_Thracs's Avatar

spoilers:
    end of spoilers
    100% agreed. And I'm trying to think of some reason the Children would keep two of their most dangerous mortal enemies alive for (in their eyes) thousands of years to allow them to be rescued that is not a forced, contrived plot device. Sure, I think they would experiment on Darwin and X-23 like mad. But they would've long since carved up the originals in the first few centuries and be on Clone Line 7367 by the time Forge came to rescue them.
    I'm not totally useless. I can always be used as a bad example...