Page 26 of 43 FirstFirst ... 1622232425262728293036 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Nazrel View Post
    So read X-Terminators 1; Laura doesn't show up until final panel so no real basis for judgement of characterization yet.
    I'm keeping my expectations low. Yet I've come to expect that I'll STILL be disappointed.

Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    I'm keeping my expectations low. Yet I've come to expect that I'll STILL be disappointed.
    I don't know, listening to that play list I got the idea Leah Williams has a least a bit of a grasp on her character, and the pictures I've seen, seem to be getting her bearing and disposition right... I am slightly worried they might have her swearing up a storm though.
    Context is king.

X-23's most basic surface level characteristic that any idiot should grasp: Stoicism.
    I don't demand that her every minor appearance be a nuance in-depth examination of her character, but is it to much to ask she be written in Archetype?! This is storytelling 101! If you want people to stay invested in a character, you need to, at the bare minimum, write them such a way that they can plausibly be believed to be the same character!

BANNED

I don't know, listening to that play list I got the idea Leah Williams has a least a bit of a grasp on her character, and the pictures I've seen, seem to be getting her bearing and disposition right... I am slightly worried they might have her swearing up a storm though.
    I've just seen far too many writers talk a good game before the book drops. Hell, back when ANW/ANXMv2 were first announced most of us had more faith in Hopeless than Taylor, because aside from one PIS moment (Laura attacking Sentinel head-on) during Arena, Hopeless showed an excellent grasp of Laura's character, while Taylor was a completely unknown quality. And we all know how THAT turned out.

I've just seen far too many writers talk a good game before the book drops. Hell, back when ANW/ANXMv2 were first announced most of us had more faith in Hopeless than Taylor, because aside from one PIS moment (Laura attacking Sentinel head-on) during Arena, Hopeless showed an excellent grasp of Laura's character, while Taylor was a completely unknown quality. And we all know how THAT turned out.
    Hopeless was at best "acceptable margin of error" in Arena, and was the weakest up to that point (I'm not counting Claremont)... though I suppose that's a little beside your point; it did go from competent to WTF!?
    Last edited by Nazrel; 09-21-2022 at 11:18 AM.
    Context is king.

X-23's most basic surface level characteristic that any idiot should grasp: Stoicism.
    I don't demand that her every minor appearance be a nuance in-depth examination of her character, but is it to much to ask she be written in Archetype?! This is storytelling 101! If you want people to stay invested in a character, you need to, at the bare minimum, write them such a way that they can plausibly be believed to be the same character!

So was looking at the X-Men #17 solicitation.

As the new X-Men team brings deals with a seemingly unstoppable foe, one X-Man wrestles with the fact they’ve gone way too far, and another is shaken by unexpectedly getting exactly what they’d no longer allowed themselves to dream of.
    Given they're dealing with the Children of the Vault (So I'll assume Synch), and this

I'm getting the distinct impression, that yes, Laura is in fact still alive in the Vault.
    Context is king.

Astonishing Member

So was looking at the X-Men #17 solicitation.

Given they're dealing with the Children of the Vault (So I'll assume Synch), and this

I'm getting the distinct impression, that yes, Laura is in fact still alive in the Vault.
    So I wonder how Laura(wolverine) is going to handle this ?

Quote Originally Posted by Dthirds3 View Post
    If that is the real Vault Laura there is a lot of potential here. This is exactly what they wanted to avoid with the protocols after all. You now have the same person two times. Now what? Is there a "real" one? Can somebody even decide that?
    But then Vault Laura is several centuries older so it's not like you can mistake them for each other.
    "This is me being reasonable"

Quote Originally Posted by Dthirds3 View Post
    Honestly, I don't think she'd take it that badly.

She's accustomed to a multitude of herself walking around, and she'd already have a disconnect from this idea of herself that has lived the span of multiple lifetimes, and have it come as a relief that, that version of herself wasn't lost, and now she doesn't have to worry about Synch projecting that version of herself on her.

Mind you this is all contingent on a level of introspective existentialism, that this brain dead pulp trash era has been willfully avoiding; so who knows?
    Last edited by Nazrel; 09-23-2022 at 06:51 AM.
    Context is king.

BANNED

Honestly, I don't think she'd take it that badly.

She's accustomed to a multitude of herself walking around, and she'd already have a disconnect from this idea of herself that has lived the span of multiple lifetimes, and have it come as a relief that, that version of herself wasn't lost, and now she doesn't have to worry about Synch projecting that version of herself on her.

Mind you this is all contingent on a level of introspective existentialism, that this brain dead pulp trash era has been willfully avoiding; so who knows?
    Given that Laura's entire character arc under Duggan was angsting about having died and not remembering centuries because Wolverine MUST have amnesia angst, I'm fully expecting them to hammer home the "Am I real?" existential drama.

So read X-Terminators 1; Laura doesn't show up until final panel so no real basis for judgement of characterization yet.

The unlettered preview for #2 is up and being discussed.
    Did Laura get aged up? She's looking older than Jubilee. No more ingenue for her...

(Did the name of this thread change? I thought it was "WOLVERINE: The best there is at what SHE does" once upon a time...I would always do a double take differentiating it from the LOGAN one...)
    Protected by the Comics Code Authority
    YES Capes. YES Masks. YES Secret Identities.

She has a mask on...how can you tell?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Thirteen View Post
    The unlettered preview for #2 is up and being discussed.
    Did Laura get aged up? She's looking older than Jubilee. No more ingenue for her...

(Did the name of this thread change? I thought it was "WOLVERINE: The best there is at what SHE does" once upon a time...I would always do a double take differentiating it from the LOGAN one...)
    I mean, Laura IS 20-21 now, while Jubilee spent some time not aging as a vampire.

The big question is, did Laura have the adamantium removed from her skeleton again since her resurrection? Because in one of the preview pages she had her arm cut off around the middle of her forearm, which should be impossible with adamantium.

Fantastic Member Ulysian_Thracs's Avatar

I mean, Laura IS 20-21 now, while Jubilee spent some time not aging as a vampire.

The big question is, did Laura have the adamantium removed from her skeleton again since her resurrection? Because in one of the preview pages she had her arm cut off around the middle of her forearm, which should be impossible with adamantium.
    You know the character much better than me, but I thought Laura was the same 17-18 (maybe 19, but more likely still HS aged) as Hellion and the other New X-Men?
    I'm not totally useless. I can always be used as a bad example...

Quote Originally Posted by Ulysian_Thracs View Post
    You know the character much better than me, but I thought Laura was the same 17-18 (maybe 19, but more likely still HS aged) as Hellion and the other New X-Men?
    It seems like just yesterday...they grow up SO FAST!

Protected by the Comics Code Authority
    YES Capes. YES Masks. YES Secret Identities.

Its easy enough to just say she died and was brought back without it