Page 12 of 43 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    That's another reason why I thought such a name could be fitting. Clearly, KYost themselves envisioned her as more like a cat (that scene of her perched on a chair staring at Hellion sleeping after he saved her from Nimrod has VERY feline vibes). Lynx and Wildcat certainly do have a certain ring to them. Though given her background in NYX Polecat's connotations are sort of appropriate.
    Calling a lady a lioness is also seen as a compliment of strength, so it also fits Laura. And while Polecat isn’t entirely out of line with her NYX background, I don’t think that period of her life is something Laura wants to be closely associated with, nor most of the writers who handle her. Keeping in mind that there is a DC character called Wildcat whose star is rising thanks to the excellent Stargirl tv series, I like Lynx the most for Laura, followed by Lioness out of the discussed names.

Astonishing Member

That's another reason why I thought such a name could be fitting. Clearly, KYost themselves envisioned her as more like a cat (that scene of her perched on a chair staring at Hellion sleeping after he saved her from Nimrod has VERY feline vibes). Lynx and Wildcat certainly do have a certain ring to them. Though given her background in NYX Polecat's connotations are sort of appropriate.
    Wouldn't a cat name run the risk of creating confusion both with Kitty Pryde who's longest lasting code name (barely anybody uses for her) is Shadocat. Or Spiderman's Black Cat?

I wonder what Sabertooth would say about Wolverine's offspring switching to "his side"? (Kidding).

Also what about Alley Cat?

Hmm. Or about Stray, Strayed or Astray given her past as being escaping from the facility?
    Last edited by Grunty; 02-13-2022 at 06:08 PM.

Some options sticking with the theme:

Polecat
    Stoat
    Grison (South American Wolverine)
    Marten
    Fisher
    Weasel
    Ferret
    Mink
    Badger (might sound too much like Honey Badger)

Although given Laura’s reliance emphasis on stealth, and that there’s a lot of elements of her personality and behavior (especially early in her development, that struck me as cat-like, maybe some sort of “cat” name.

Wildcat
    Bobcat
    Cougar
    Lynx
    Puma
    Quote Originally Posted by Beaubier View Post
    The only ones of those names I could see working are Lynx or possibly Wildcat. Cougar, for example, would make her the butt of many jokes, and polecat as a codename has stripper vibes. Weasel is typically used as an insult. The others just don’t sound good to me. I could potentially see “Lioness” working, as weren’t lionesses the inspiration for her footclaws?

Though tbh I think Laura would do just fine getting rid of codenames altogether. I’m not entirely convinced she needs one and can stand on her own, like Jean Grey or Kitty Pryde.
    Guys, haven't you heard of a very prominent DC character called Wildcat? He's a main member of the Justice Society of America
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Guys, haven't you heard of a very prominent DC character called Wildcat? He's a main member of the Justice Society of America
    I already mentioned that in my last post, though I referenced the Yolanda version of Wildcat.

Well anyway, it has the same problem as Talon, so forget about that name for Laura.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

BANNED

So, stepping away from naming for a minute...

The latest Dr. Strange 2 trailer has pretty much confirmed Patrick Stewart will be appearing as Xavier in some capacity. Furthermore, not only do we know that Ryan Reynolds will be returning as Deadpool under the MCU, spoilers:
    but Wade himself appears on the movie's poster in one of the glass shards. It doesn't mean that he'll be appearing in the movie, but the implication is pretty clear that Wade may be appearing sooner than later.
    end of spoilers So what do we think are the chances that Dafne Keen will be returning as X-23?

She's got a LOT going for her: She's young enough she can play in the franchise for quite a while. She's a fantastic actress who has demonstrated she can carry a lead role thanks to her turn on His Dark Materials. She's also already made it clear that she wants to come back.

BANNED

Also, X-Men #11 cover:

As poorly as the books have handled Laura under Krakoa, I will admit that she looked fantastic in the Gala dress. Very elegant and sexy with the cutouts and asymmetry/leg slit (and while I'm really a leg man, I'm honestly a sucker for bare shoulders, especially if there's a bit of muscle tone). Nice to see an artist remember that she DOES wear dresses when mood and occasion is appropriate. I got SO tired of the pant/suit combinations because apparently tough women aren't allowed to also be feminine from the past couple years.
    Last edited by Ambaryerno; 02-14-2022 at 12:04 PM.

Astonishing Member

(...)
    She's got a LOT going for her: She's young enough she can play in the franchise for quite a while. She's a fantastic actress who has demonstrated she can carry a lead role thanks to her turn on His Dark Materials. She's also already made it clear that she wants to come back.
    This made me wonder if they could go with Wolverine being a posthumous character in the MCU, with all his stories being set in the past and his main contribution to the present day being after effects of his actions there, with Laura being a living example of that.

Not only could they re-use the actress in the capacity you described, but they could also stretch out the need to replace Jackman for a while and still have near infinity story potential for him set in the past (and if they want to bring him into present day they can always pull a version from other timelines anyway without even needing to tell his backstories as these could have been told by proxy already).

So, stepping away from naming for a minute...

The latest Dr. Strange 2 trailer has pretty much confirmed Patrick Stewart will be appearing as Xavier in some capacity. Furthermore, not only do we know that Ryan Reynolds will be returning as Deadpool under the MCU, spoilers:
    but Wade himself appears on the movie's poster in one of the glass shards. It doesn't mean that he'll be appearing in the movie, but the implication is pretty clear that Wade may be appearing sooner than later.
    end of spoilers So what do we think are the chances that Dafne Keen will be returning as X-23?

I think the chances of her coming back are pretty good. I would guess the only people that Fiege would want more would be Jackman, Stewart, McKellen, Fassbender and McAvoy. I don’t think he’s want Lawerence back after DP.
    You brought back Wolverine

The CBR Community Standards a.k.a how to get along.

Laura and Ev are so cute in X-Men 8. I'm glad their relationship is getting more development, I really like them together. Hellion and Monet would probably make a better couple than Monet/Synch or Hellion/Laura, tbh.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by davetvs View Post
    Laura and Ev are so cute in X-Men 8. I'm glad their relationship is getting more development, I really like them together. Hellion and Monet would probably make a better couple than Monet/Synch or Hellion/Laura, tbh.
    Ugh, so they're actually running with this crap from Hickman. So glad I dropped this book.

Quote Originally Posted by davetvs View Post
    spoilers:
    Idk I thought Ev actually gave up on it by the end. Also was not a fan of how Duggan made Laura his main motivation for joining the team. I did think Laura had more personality this issue, which was nice.
    end of spoilers

To the previous discussion: Yeah I really hope Dafne returns as Laura in live action!

Ugh, so they're actually running with this crap from Hickman. So glad I dropped this book.
    It's probably not comforting to someone who dislikes the concept to start, but the question with any fictional pairing is how well does the story get told. A good story that keeps both character's voices intact even for a pairing one doesn't particularly like should be seen as superior to a sudden "they're together now" for a popular ship.

Of course, even I (as someone not deeply plugged into Laura) can tell she has been OOC for so long that her previous characterization is about to be seen as the anomaly.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Amazing Member

As someone who was no fan of this storyline, I liked the issue a fair bit. Laura wasn’t entirely in character but it wasn’t as bad as the previous issues. Hoping the next issue continues to be a turning point.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    spoilers:
    Idk I thought Ev actually gave up on it by the end. Also was not a fan of how Duggan made Laura his main motivation for joining the team. I did think Laura had more personality this issue, which was nice.
    end of spoilers

To the previous discussion: Yeah I really hope Dafne returns as Laura in live action!
    I might be wrong since I read it very early in the morning, but it sounded like he was just having a moment of doubt and needed reassurance.

This was my favorite page from the issue: