Page 3 of 43 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Galerion View Post
    And in universe it also makes sense that she would keep that name. Like X-23 is not a name that you give a person. It's a designation that you give an object. A tool. And that is exactly what she started as but she broke out of it and that's the reason she should keep it. It's a symbol. A symbol that no matter what you started as and what you have done you can always strive to be something more and to be better. And for her enemies it can serve as a warning that if you mess with her she is gonna **** up your **** with ruthless efficiency.
    Actually, that's why it DOESN'T make sense. It's something that was used to demean and dehumanize her, and reduce her to being nothing more than a thing without agency. It's something that was used by the Facility to torture, abuse, and torment her, and deprive her of her sense of identity and self worth. It'd be like if Magneto started calling himself by the serial number the Nazis tattooed on his arm.

It works for marketing, yes, but not as something she would continue to use in-universe.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    Actually, that's why it DOESN'T make sense. It's something that was used to demean and dehumanize her, and reduce her to being nothing more than a thing without agency. It's something that was used by the Facility to torture, abuse, and torment her, and deprive her of her sense of identity and self worth. It'd be like if Magneto started calling himself by the serial number the Nazis tattooed on his arm.

It works for marketing, yes, but not as something she would continue to use in-universe.
    And so she is now stuck between a rock and a hard place. They failed to give her a proper new codename after her early introduction, when everything was still fresh enough that new things could have stuck, but she will never really be Wolverine regardless of how editorial tries to convince anyone that is actualy happening, essentialy dragging the need for a proper new code name for her out even further.

All while the name she became known for and is primarily associated with, has become unfit to be kept or used for her in universe.

At this point it seems the Jean Grey/Kitty Pryde path might be the only one left, where the civilian name becomes more used and famous than the original code name.

Astonishing Member Sandmans_Raven's Avatar

To be fair there has hardly been anything done so far. Currently it feels like the book just exists for the sake of existing but hopefully that changes soon.
    Which in itself is frustrating. I don't need anything status quo-changing, just some good character development and a decent story, neither of which we've gotten yet imo
    Make Good Art

Quote Originally Posted by Grunty View Post
    And so she is now stuck between a rock and a hard place. They failed to give her a proper new codename after her early introduction, when everything was still fresh enough that new things could have stuck, but she will never really be Wolverine regardless of how editorial tries to convince anyone that is actualy happening, essentialy dragging the need for a proper new code name for her out even further.

All while the name she became known for and is primarily associated with, has become unfit to be kept or used for her in universe.

At this point it seems the Jean Grey/Kitty Pryde path might be the only one left, where the civilian name becomes more used and famous than the original code name.
    Code names are dumb and passe anyway, just call her Laura.
    Context is king.

X-23's most basic surface level characteristic that any idiot should grasp: Stoicism.
    I don't demand that her every minor appearance be a nuance in-depth examination of her character, but is it to much to ask she be written in Archetype?! This is storytelling 101! If you want people to stay invested in a character, you need to, at the bare minimum, write them such a way that they can plausibly be believed to be the same character!

Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post

I guess we will just have to agree to disagree then on that front. As for your example. Magneto might not call himself that way but he doesn't deny or tries to forget his past at all. Quite the contrary. He brings it up constantly because it has made him into the person that he is today.

The same should be true for Laura. After all it would be easy to just forget about all the things the Facility did but it would be dishonest because it also gave her the ability to defend herself, everyone she cares about and any innocent person in need. Not everybody can claim that.

Also as Nazrel has said. In-universe pretty much everybody who is close to her addresses her as Laura anyways. The only people who don't are either enemies or people that are not familiar with her and probably don't plan on changing that. I don't see Laura caring about either of those. So like I said I personally don't see much reason to mess with the X-23 moniker.

BANNED

I guess we will just have to agree to disagree then on that front. As for your example. Magneto might not call himself that way but he doesn't deny or tries to forget his past at all. Quite the contrary. He brings it up constantly because it has made him into the person that he is today.

The same should be true for Laura. After all it would be easy to just forget about all the things the Facility did but it would be dishonest because it also gave her the ability to defend herself, everyone she cares about and any innocent person in need. Not everybody can claim that.

Also as Nazrel has said. In-universe pretty much everybody who is close to her addresses her as Laura anyways. The only people who don't are either enemies or people that are not familiar with her and probably don't plan on changing that. I don't see Laura caring about either of those. So like I said I personally don't see much reason to mess with the X-23 moniker.
    There’s also such a thing as dwelling on the past. Dropping the X-23 name doesn’t mean forgetting where she came from, but not letting in define everything she is and showing that she’s moved on from the pain.

Also, it’s book-canon already that it’s a name she hates, it was only a flimsy handwave in the Tamaki book to justify an editorial decision to strip her of the Wolverine name.

At this point I would prefer X-23 to Wolverine, in book canon can and frequently does change so I don't see this as a problem. The best scenario is a new moniker for Laura but that really depends on there being a writer creative enough to create it, but I don't really hold out any hope for that at this point.

Spectacular Member

Between X-23 and Wolverine I prefer Wolverine for Laura, but I am not opposed to her getting another new codename.

Astonishing Member

She's going to be in the infinity comics this year
    Either written by Thomson in Jeff the land shark or somting with Kate bishop, ice man and falcon.

I posted this video in another thread already, but it makes sense here as well, because AEW wrestler Thunder Rosa clearly appreciates Laura:

Quote Originally Posted by Paragon View Post
    I posted this video in another thread already, but it makes sense here as well, because AEW wrestler Thunder Rosa clearly appreciates Laura:

I saw this on Twitter and Tom Taylor liked it. He approves of any woman cosplaying as Laura.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

Extraordinary Member Master of Sound's Avatar

She is called WOLVERINE for a few years now. Why are people still calling her X23?
    "COURAGE, DON'T YOU DARE LET ME DOWN"
    ==================================================
    ==================================================

At this point Logan is such a big name that his comic could simply be titled “Logan” and Laura could run with the Wolverine name. I mean, the Old Man Logan series sold well and didn’t have the word “Wolverine” on the title at all. Just saying…

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Master of Sound View Post
    She is called WOLVERINE for a few years now. Why are people still calling her X23?
    Marketing/branding. And let's be honest with ourselves: Marvel is NEVER going to allow her to truly own the name and make it her own.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackraow21 View Post
    At this point Logan is such a big name that his comic could simply be titled “Logan” and Laura could run with the Wolverine name. I mean, the Old Man Logan series sold well and didn’t have the word “Wolverine” on the title at all. Just saying…
    And that just makes my point: Laura was Wolverine, but Old Man Logan was the one who got the flagship book (and two OTHER team books on top of it) and all the events.

But it’s not like they engineered OML to be the flagship book. It didn’t even have the Wolverine name on it. Rather it was customer response to it that made it so. Not really sure how that’s on Marvel honestly. They’re a business and they put books out that they want to sell. OML was a good seller because there was clearly customer demand for it.

As for him being on two teams, X-men Gold and Weapon X, well that’s because those writers wanted to use him. In the case of Gold, because they were going for a classic Claremont/Byrne X-men team; and in the case of Weapon X because that was the pitch, former Weapon X-ers and killers being forced to work together against he shadowy organization. And it’s not like Laura wasn’t also on a team during that time, so I’m not sure I concur that she wasn’t given a fair shot… or maybe I just don’t agree with your definition of “fair” which seems to amount to needing to have Logan off the board completely in order for Laura to thrive. I don’t see it that way and think there’s room for both, even if Logan is more popular. He likely always will be.