Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nomads1 View Post
    Can't say I liked much this run. In fact, I can affirm I didn't like it. Subpar, compared to the JLA, especially Jurgens' run, which I liked quite a lot (and find it very underrated),ridden with continuity mistakes, and after a certain point, when most of the top tier characters had left, such as Aquaman, Green Lantern, and even Flash, even if temporarily, being replaced by terrible mediocre z-listers such as Maya and that lame ghost guy, whose name I can't even remember, it became just awful. Can't say it improved much when the creative team jumped over to JLA, making it very wierd. It started out OK, but then it foccused too much on the second-stringers, with Nuklon, Obsidian, and Fire with that awfully wierd relationship with Ice Maiden. Then we had El Diablo and the Yazz!
    Erewhon! Lol. Yeah, I agree that whole subplot wasn't great.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

...of the Black Priests Midnight_v's Avatar

When I was little my mom went garage sale hopping one day and bought me SOMEONES entire JLI collection.
    Its crazy to think about now how many books that felt like, I read them all and to this day when I hear the words "Justice League" I legitimately
    think of the "Super Buddies". I didn't see them for so long and so few people knew them for a while that I almost thought I "Mandela Effected" the whole
    damn thing (^_^)
    My priority is enjoying and supporting stories of timeless heroism and conflict.
    Everything else is irrelevant.

Justice League Europe is still my all time favorite. Them and the Global Guardians when they appeared.

Some of my favorite group pics:

jli 87.jpg

jli 21.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    Which issue was this? I'm drawing a blank...
    Had to look it up, but I'm reasonably sure it was during Jones's (and the title itself's) last issue, #113. #111-113 were Jones' swan song on JLA before they started prepping us for Morrison's run with the Mid-Summer's Nightmare mini.

Quote Originally Posted by Timber Wolf-By-Night View Post
    Had to look it up, but I'm reasonably sure it was during Jones's (and the title itself's) last issue, #113. #111-113 were Jones' swan song on JLA before they started prepping us for Morrison's run with the Mid-Summer's Nightmare mini.
    Ah, got it. While I did like the post-Zero Hour JLA book at first, it did fall off the rails by the end and I haven't re-read those issues in... 20 yrs?

Probably some meta messaging in there, as the author's original script for "Emerald Twilight" was tossed out in favor of what we ended up with from Ron Marz & Co.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

The A-Team! Love to the JLI.

Last edited by Doctor Know; 01-04-2022 at 07:13 PM.

Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    JLE #43-50! Good stuff.

Of course most people hate that run, but I love it...
    That run also had the Overmaster crossover I think. Boy, that crossover had a lot of people in it.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dreaded Porcupine View Post
    Justice League Europe is still my all time favorite. Them and the Global Guardians when they appeared.
    They were one of the best Leagues IMO for a reason; they were fun.

Quote Originally Posted by silly View Post
    That run also had the Overmaster crossover I think. Boy, that crossover had a lot of people in it.
    Judgement Day. The original, not the later date Geoff Johns one. It's collected in Wonder Woman and the Justice League vol. 2. I Liked it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreaded Porcupine View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    They were one of the best Leagues IMO for a reason; they were fun.
    The night school issue (JLE #5, if I'm not mistaken) is probably my favorite JLI issue of all. The Extremist Vector is quite possibly the best storyline. Loved Breakdowns also.

Peace
    Last edited by Nomads1; 01-06-2022 at 06:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by silly View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomads1 View Post
    Judgement Day. The original, not the later date Geoff Johns one. It's collected in Wonder Woman and the Justice League vol. 2. I Liked it.
    I loved "Judgement Day"! I cite it as a perfect example of why I prefer a League with a mix of A - D listers, as opposed to just the Big 7. We all know JL stories with them aren't going to have lasting repercussions on either the characters individual books, nor the wider DCU. On the other hand "Judgement Day" (and "Breakdowns" before it) had real stakes, and actually effected the characters involved for years to come - for better or for worse (RIP Ice ).

When the stakes are real, these stories just feel more important. *shrug*
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

I thought Judgement Day was the beginning of the end for the franchise.
    While I stuck with the JL books through till the end of the Way of the Warrior crossover, it had lost all it's lustre by then.
    The Extremist storyline and Breakdowns were the highlights for me, although I enjoyed the later lineup with Hal, Wally, Rex, Hugh and Kara.
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Quote Originally Posted by married guy View Post
    I thought Judgement Day was the beginning of the end for the franchise.
    While I stuck with the JL books through till the end of the Way of the Warrior crossover, it had lost all it's lustre by then.
    The Extremist storyline and Breakdowns were the highlights for me, although I enjoyed the later lineup with Hal, Wally, Rex, Hugh and Kara.
    Way of the Warrior was such macho 90's kind of story. I wish they'd collect it so I could re-read it. I don't think I have some of the books anymore (especially the Guy Gardner Warrior ones. I've definitly let go of those).

Peace

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Know View Post

I am still can't forgave Winnick for the unnecesary retcon on Ice origin.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin