Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Stanlos View Post
    I remember finding Kara 's new costume here quite busy. But looking at it today? I like it a lot
    For me it was the other way. I liked then, but now, it seems less conceived.

Looking back, it seemed like who designed that suit tried to amalgamate all the previous Powergirl costumes in one, adding a headband and shoulder pads.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

So.. the Human Target is not official continuity, right?
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    Supposedly, since it's Black Label, it's not in continuity.

However, since most DC creators don't care about the characters and never bother with reading their '80s appearances that established them, it'll probably end up as canon.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    Supposedly, since it's Black Label, it's not in continuity.

However, since most DC creators don't care about the characters and never bother with reading their '80s appearances that established them, it'll probably end up as canon.
    Remember, Giffen revealed in some interview years ago that most of the Powers That Were at the time "hated" what they were doing. I suspect that the sales were strong enough that that was the main reason that he, DeMatteis, and Helfer & Dooley weren't forced off the book at a much earlier point. And let's not forget how the JLI era quickly supplanted the Justice League Detroit era and line-up as the League's most embarrassing point in history once the Morrison era was truly up and running.

God, I hope not. That's just crappy fan-fic with nice art.

Peace

Quote Originally Posted by Nomads1 View Post
    God, I hope not. That's just crappy fan-fic with nice art.

Peace
    Then I was right by drop it. If there is something than I remember about Giffen it was than continuity wasn't the problem but coherence. And I saw than this stoty didn't respected the coherence of the characters.
    Even when Winnick did that horrible retcon on Ice he kept the coherence of Ice as character.

JLI... Today!:
    JLI_35years.jpg

(Those oreos took their toll J'onn).

JLI... Today!:
    JLI_35years.jpg

This just about checks out. I think J'onn is just trying to make everybody feel better...

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    This just about checks out. I think J'onn is just trying to make everybody feel better...
    That, or he wants so badly ‘to belong’.

JLI... Today!:
    JLI_35years.jpg

Glad to sse Ice remains an imortal godess here, and they completly ignored the stupid Winnick retcon. I wonder how many heart attacks Ted has had here?

Peace

Quote Originally Posted by Nomads1 View Post
    Glad to sse Ice remains an imortal godess here, and they completly ignored the stupid Winnick retcon.
    A whole declaration of intentions from Maguire. Applause.

I wonder how many heart attacks Ted has had here?

Peace
    Not enough to keep him apart from the superhero life.

Astonishing Member

Okay, so I bought the two big trades of this series and have been reading it properly for the first time. What I mean by "reading it properly" is that I had read a few scattered issues when I was a kid, largely from the odd spinner rack or back issues from a used book store and a trade of the first seven issues (I rarely, if ever, had a real comic shop around when I was a kid). So, mostly, the Justice League International was part of the background radiation of the DC Universe. I didn't even know they were supposed to be funny for a long time because usually when they were written as guest stars back then, the writers from other titles didn't write them as comedic characters, they just wrote them as, y'know, the Justice League. They were the big team that had the international clout.

So, I'm glad to say that it stands up to its reputation among fans. I mean, of course, the humor is fantastic. But what really got me is how human everyone is. I mean, lots of writers try to make their characters human, but in many cases the human drama that was meant to make you relate to the characters ends up so overblown that it really doesn't feel real at a certain point. But things like Scott and Barda's home life, Beetle and Booster bringing out each other's juvenile side, or Fire and Ice worrying about how they'll pay the rent when the Global Guardians lose their funding hits the sweet spot perfectly. Very good stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by AdamFTF View Post
    Okay, so I bought the two big trades of this series and have been reading it properly for the first time. What I mean by "reading it properly" is that I had read a few scattered issues when I was a kid, largely from the odd spinner rack or back issues from a used book store and a trade of the first seven issues (I rarely, if ever, had a real comic shop around when I was a kid). So, mostly, the Justice League International was part of the background radiation of the DC Universe. I didn't even know they were supposed to be funny for a long time because usually when they were written as guest stars back then, the writers from other titles didn't write them as comedic characters, they just wrote them as, y'know, the Justice League. They were the big team that had the international clout.

So, I'm glad to say that it stands up to its reputation among fans. I mean, of course, the humor is fantastic. But what really got me is how human everyone is. I mean, lots of writers try to make their characters human, but in many cases the human drama that was meant to make you relate to the characters ends up so overblown that it really doesn't feel real at a certain point. But things like Scott and Barda's home life, Beetle and Booster bringing out each other's juvenile side, or Fire and Ice worrying about how they'll pay the rent when the Global Guardians lose their funding hits the sweet spot perfectly. Very good stuff.
    Yeah, a lot of the people who hated JLI never saw how deep the characterization was in the book. They just saw the surface giggles and wrote it off.
    Giffen & DeMatteis (and Maguire and Hughes) were a great team. They would balance out very serious plots with very human reactions.
    I remember they mentioned that they approached JLI as if it was just a bunch of people at work. It just so happened that their job was being in the Justice League.
    Anyone who's worked in the public with a regular group of people can likely relate to the JLI and how they get along with each other.
    Last edited by Lee Stone; 04-03-2022 at 09:59 PM.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

so I saw the dark crisis preview and was this the only JL team in the 80s? Post crisis?

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    so I saw the dark crisis preview and was this the only JL team in the 80s? Post crisis?
    Before Justice League Europe launched yes.
    But then JLI became Justice League America.