Default The Essential Beginners Superman List

Hello!

I’m coming up with a fast track-ish list for first time readers of Superman. The basic idea is that it covers only a modern take of supes and the best/essential reads. I’ve only gotten the list up to new 52 and I’d love some input for the current list as well as what I should add from the new 52 onwards. Here’s the current list

Birthright
    Superman: For All Seasons
    Superman/Batman #1-6, #8-13, #19
    For Tomorrow
    (INFINITE CRISIS)
    Up, Up And Away
    Superman: Last Son
    Camelot Falls
    Escape from Bizarro World
    Superman - Legion of Super-Heroes
    (Final Crisis)
    Braniac
    New Krypton
    World of New Krypton
    War of the Supermen
    (New52)

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

I'm a bit reluctant to do such lists now, because a story like Morrison's All-Star Superman, which doesn't fit with most Superman comics continuity, is a best/essential read, and maybe the most best/essential.

It'd be on any attempted short list I would craft for new Superman readers.
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 12-19-2022 at 01:27 PM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

That works too! It doesn’t have to be only in continuity

If someone wanted to get up to date on the mess that is Superman continuity these stories seem to form the basic building blocks of his past:
    Secret Origin
    Waid’s World’s Finest
    Death of Superman/Reign of the Supermen
    The Wedding Album
    Electric Blue Superman
    Morrison Action Comics
    Jurgens Lois & Clark
    Superman Rebirth
    Bendis Superman & Action Comics
    PKJ Future State Superman stories
    PKJ Action Comics

And that would get you the basics for where we are. Otherwise I’d recommend Superman ‘78 by Venditti for fans of Reeve/Donner, Superman Smashes the Klan, Space Age by Russell, and Superman’s Pal Jimmy Olsen
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Astonishing Member kingaliencracker's Avatar

It's really hard for me to accept that the post-Crisis/Byrne/triangle era is no longer the "modern" take of the character.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

i would recommend only morrison's action,superman and authority,all star...etc basically anything with morrison is better than the rest.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 12-20-2022 at 12:39 AM.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Superman: Up in the Sky is my favourite Superman book in years. It is pretty much everything I love about Superman.

Also, Superman's Pal, Jimmy Olsen (Who Killed Jimmy Olsen?) is the single most pure fun Superman comic we've has since.... the Silver Age? It's an insane ride.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

Astonishing Member The Frog Bros's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by exile001 View Post
    Superman: Up in the Sky is my favourite Superman book in years. It is pretty much everything I love about Superman.

Also, Superman's Pal, Jimmy Olsen (Who Killed Jimmy Olsen?) is the single most pure fun Superman comic we've has since.... the Silver Age? It's an insane ride.
    Same here on Up in the Sky. And I'm not just saying that since King was just at my LCS where I had him sign my copy.

I told him that its my go-to for people who either don't get Superman or find him boring. He was pretty appreciative of the comment.
    “Look, you can’t put the Superman #77s with the #200s. They haven’t even discovered Red Kryptonite yet. And you can’t put the #98s with the #300s, Lori Lemaris hasn’t even been introduced.” — Sam
    “Where the hell are you from? Krypton?” — Edgar Frog

Astonishing Member

Call me crazy, but I'd still recommend Byrne's Man of Steel mini-series. It was the beginning of the modern Superman mythos, and in many ways it formed the template for Superman that is followed to this day. Its got a great introduction to all the key aspects of 'modern' Superman - the origin, Lois and Clark's relationship, the beginnings of the Batman-Superman relationship, first encounter with Lex Luthor etc.

I'd say What's So Funny About Truth, Justice and the American Way? should also be essential reading for new Superman fans, since it really addresses some of the common criticisms of the character (that he's not 'cool' enough or too 'soft').

Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar

Old Guy Chiming In:

Who Took the Super out of Superman
    Action Comics 500
    Superman 400
    Superman Red Superman Blue
    The Immortal Superman
    Superman in Supertown
    The Last Days of Superman

And the original Mongul/Warworld Saga by Jim Starlin

Tomasi and Gleason run. Specially Superman: Reborn.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin