Page 46 of 73 FirstFirst ... 3642434445464748495056 ... LastLast

I loved Super Sons. **Loved it.**

With my DC Infinite subscription, I decided to read Jon's current solo book. I find it very bland, uninspired, and boring.

Is it just me? Am I missing something?

Quote Originally Posted by brandnewfan View Post
    I loved Super Sons. **Loved it.**

With my DC Infinite subscription, I decided to read Jon's current solo book. I find it very bland, uninspired, and boring.

Is it just me? Am I missing something?
    No, that's pretty much been par for the course for many such fans.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    No, that's pretty much been par for the course for many such fans.
    Jon was an interesting and fun character before they aged him up. Now there's really nothing special about him. He's bisexual, that's literally the only thing separating him from Kal-El. Other than that little detail, which isn't a big deal, it's just another Superman book. I read all the issues currently on DC Infinite but I decided I won't read anymore because there's just nothing holding my attention there.

They should age him back down and let him grow over time and not overnight.

Quote Originally Posted by brandnewfan View Post
    Jon was an interesting and fun character before they aged him up. Now there's really nothing special about him. He's bisexual, that's literally the only thing separating him from Kal-El. Other than that little detail, which isn't a big deal, it's just another Superman book. I read all the issues currently on DC Infinite but I decided I won't read anymore because there's just nothing holding my attention there.

They should age him back down and let him grow over time and not overnight.
    Agreed. They could have just yanked a teenage Clark Superboy from another Earth and had the exact same thing. Despite all their claims of how teen Jon would be so different than, and "better" than, Clark(because obviously that wasn't a slap in the face to Clark, or his fans),there's nothing really groundbreaking about teen Jon. He's just a generic teen hero.

BANNED

Spoilers for the Supersons story in the "Saved By The Bell Reeve" anthology out this week, written by Tomasi, featuring Kid Jon.

https://bleedingcool.com/comics/dc-i...ayne-jon-kent/

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Rat View Post
    Spoilers for the Supersons story in the "Saved By The Bell Reeve" anthology out this week, written by Tomasi, featuring Kid Jon.

https://bleedingcool.com/comics/dc-i...ayne-jon-kent/
    Oh that is just wonderful.

Super Sons just casually doing a better Pride story than the one that was actually in the Pride book. Gotta love it XD

Quote Originally Posted by Blue22 View Post
    Super Sons just casually doing a better Pride story than the one that was actually in the Pride book. Gotta love it XD
    Ditto.

This was my dream Super Sons story. It's short and sweet and yet shows the depth and range that the Super Sons have. It was practically like the first chapter of a fresh, new arc for an ongoing shonen manga that could easily serve as a jumping on point so long as you understand the basic premise.

I really like the fudging of the timeline that's been going on between the end of Superman Rebirth and the start of Benids' run. Is Jon 10? 17? 13? Who knows! Who cares. It's why I try to refer to Jon as a tweenager as often as possible because that's his actual age. Framing Jon as being in a particular age range rather than as a specific age allows for future writers of Jon to explore a broader range of concepts and topics with Jon rather than they otherwise would if they were stuck asking to themselves, "What does a 10 year old kid act like?"

Plus, Jon looks a little older than he previously was, especially when he's wearing his school uniform. Damian's design hasn't changed much from the switch of Barberi to Raynor, but there are noticeable differences in the way Raynor draws Jon now as opposed to previously. He doesn't have as much of a babyface and his features are a little more defined, but the changes were subtle enough that you unconsciously write off any inconsistencies as just being a different artistic take on a familiar design. But ultimately, Jon has been brought physically and aesthetically closer in age to Damian than he ever was.

Adventures, Challenge, and this story essentially fill the gap between Jon and Damian. Because assuming their stated ages of 10 and 13, if Jon is starting eighth grade that would make him around 13 and Damian around 16, which is obviously untrue. So how is this reconciled? The answer: Who cares? Why do you care so much about an age gap existing between two characters? What are you, Tom Taylor?

It's just easier to have Jon and Damian be in the same class than to have Jon be just starting middle school and Damian about to finish middle school. But what is true in any instance is that they are both middle schoolers and that's all you really need to know about the characters both as a reader or a writer.

If their ages were never known or stated like they were, then anyone reading anything featuring Jon and Damian together would naturally assume they would be around the same age or in the same class, whatever that might be because they are clearly not prepubescent children or young adults.

I've seen some people refer to this story as a PSA, and it really does feel that way, but I like that. What did people expect when Jon was rasied by a walking PSA commercial. I really like how Tomasi didn't just go for an anti-bullying message, but an anti-transphobia one as well, and he showed how easy it is because it is just that easy. It's straightforward and not complicated. And it really works, too, because this is honestly what a conversation between middle schoolers about this topic would look like.

Guess Jon’s JL might be called the “Legacy League”. Would’ve preferred “Justice Legacy” myself.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Blue22 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by garazza View Post
    Ditto.

This was my dream Super Sons story. It's short and sweet and yet shows the depth and range that the Super Sons have. It was practically like the first chapter of a fresh, new arc for an ongoing shonen manga that could easily serve as a jumping on point so long as you understand the basic premise.

I really like the fudging of the timeline that's been going on between the end of Superman Rebirth and the start of Benids' run. Is Jon 10? 17? 13? Who knows! Who cares. It's why I try to refer to Jon as a tweenager as often as possible because that's his actual age. Framing Jon as being in a particular age range rather than as a specific age allows for future writers of Jon to explore a broader range of concepts and topics with Jon rather than they otherwise would if they were stuck asking to themselves, "What does a 10 year old kid act like?"

Plus, Jon looks a little older than he previously was, especially when he's wearing his school uniform. Damian's design hasn't changed much from the switch of Barberi to Raynor, but there are noticeable differences in the way Raynor draws Jon now as opposed to previously. He doesn't have as much of a babyface and his features are a little more defined, but the changes were subtle enough that you unconsciously write off any inconsistencies as just being a different artistic take on a familiar design. But ultimately, Jon has been brought physically and aesthetically closer in age to Damian than he ever was.

Adventures, Challenge, and this story essentially fill the gap between Jon and Damian. Because assuming their stated ages of 10 and 13, if Jon is starting eighth grade that would make him around 13 and Damian around 16, which is obviously untrue. So how is this reconciled? The answer: Who cares? Why do you care so much about an age gap existing between two characters? What are you, Tom Taylor?

It's just easier to have Jon and Damian be in the same class than to have Jon be just starting middle school and Damian about to finish middle school. But what is true in any instance is that they are both middle schoolers and that's all you really need to know about the characters both as a reader or a writer.

If their ages were never known or stated like they were, then anyone reading anything featuring Jon and Damian together would naturally assume they would be around the same age or in the same class, whatever that might be because they are clearly not prepubescent children or young adults.

I've seen some people refer to this story as a PSA, and it really does feel that way, but I like that. What did people expect when Jon was rasied by a walking PSA commercial. I really like how Tomasi didn't just go for an anti-bullying message, but an anti-transphobia one as well, and he showed how easy it is because it is just that easy. It's straightforward and not complicated. And it really works, too, because this is honestly what a conversation between middle schoolers about this topic would look like.
    Fully agree. And Tomasi didn't go overboard or anything, kept simple, strait forward, and still entertaining with both boys offering their own advice.

I was at the AEW pay per view All Out and this was a sign in the crowd. The bi colors were a great touch.

https://twitter.com/actioncomcs/stat...83905241645056

Some WIP art of what looks like Jon from Ruariri Coleman. He did a part of an issue of SSoK but not much else.

https://twitter.com/ruairicoleman/st...06284714741760

Looking forward to Ram V writing Jon for the first time, and I’m excited to see Watters write him again!

For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Astonishing Member The Frog Bros's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Looking forward to Ram V writing Jon for the first time, and I’m excited to see Watters write him again!

Man, this looks awesome!
    “Look, you can’t put the Superman #77s with the #200s. They haven’t even discovered Red Kryptonite yet. And you can’t put the #98s with the #300s, Lori Lemaris hasn’t even been introduced.” — Sam
    “Where the hell are you from? Krypton?” — Edgar Frog

Figured you guys would dig this variant