Page 49 of 73 FirstFirst ... 3945464748495051525359 ... LastLast

Yes! Yes! Yes!

Though, Jon sounds a bit older than I thought he would be, that's just me nitpicking.

Astonishing Member The Frog Bros's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    So, in that, they had a kid, andthen Clark told her he was Superman and showed her the fortress?

Er, kind of an odd order to do things.
    She already knew he was Superman, she figured it out earlier. But yeah, first time he's showing her the Fortress.
    “Look, you can’t put the Superman #77s with the #200s. They haven’t even discovered Red Kryptonite yet. And you can’t put the #98s with the #300s, Lori Lemaris hasn’t even been introduced.” — Sam
    “Where the hell are you from? Krypton?” — Edgar Frog

Rooter Teeth's 3D animation was very advanced and innovative for its time, so it's really cool to see the style pioneered by Monty Oum be done on a big studio budget. I was really impressed by how smooth the run cycle was for Jon, and the cinematography was unexpectedly top notch. It's clear a lot of love went into this movie on all levels.

I was initially put off by their voices (even though I was OK with them in the trailer) when they first started saying words, but then they kept saying words and they started talking, like actually talking. The dialogue felt very so natural and real and like a genuine conversation between an upset tween and their parent, that it didn't matter how different their voices sounded, they just communicated so well together. You can tell this movie was written by a comic book writer and one that actually cares about these characters.

I think an unexpected highlight of the movie is going to be its soundtrack. The orchestral music felt so over the top it really elevated the scene, for a moment it felt like I was watching Iron Giant and not some direct to DVD movie.

For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

This scene really put over for me Jack Dylan Glazer as Jon's VA. I'm used to young male type characters being voiced by women (but I remember being so taken aback when I first learned that not all characters are voiced by someone of the same gender lol). I imagined something similar for Jon, but he sounded very much like a young boy and not that gender-neutral, unisex high-pitched kid voice. He sounded like a kid but also very...pubescent but not deep, if you know what I mean. Like a normal kid voice (probably because Glazer is practically still a kid himself).

Jon jumping around in the background while Lois and Clark have a normal conversation about their son's superpowers like they would have for a child's normal behavioral issues really made me excited about what the rest of the film is going to be like.

Oh god, I just realized, imagine The BanterTM.

Astonishing Member The Frog Bros's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Ha, Ram V channeling the Donald Sutherland stoner theory from Animal House

Ok, so that means that our whole solar system could be like one tiny atom in the fingernail of some other giant being... That means that one tiny atom in my fingernail could be... one tiny little universe!
    “Look, you can’t put the Superman #77s with the #200s. They haven’t even discovered Red Kryptonite yet. And you can’t put the #98s with the #300s, Lori Lemaris hasn’t even been introduced.” — Sam
    “Where the hell are you from? Krypton?” — Edgar Frog

You know what? I almost said this was a "be careful what you wish for" moment, but I'll give 'em this. He looks great. And it seems like they listened. The awful (and inconsistent) haircut is gone and he doesn't look like a skinny Clark clone anymore. The only problem is that he's gone from dressing like Clark to dressing like Kara. Like...I guess I can't complain too much because that design is amazing (and I won't be reading whatever this is anyway) but they really are just allergic to letting him have his own style now, huh?

Quote Originally Posted by garazza View Post
    This scene really put over for me Jack Dylan Glazer as Jon's VA. I'm used to young male type characters being voiced by women (but I remember being so taken aback when I first learned that not all characters are voiced by someone of the same gender lol). I imagined something similar for Jon, but he sounded very much like a young boy and not that gender-neutral, unisex high-pitched kid voice. He sounded like a kid but also very...pubescent but not deep, if you know what I mean. Like a normal kid voice (probably because Glazer is practically still a kid himself).

Jon jumping around in the background while Lois and Clark have a normal conversation about their son's superpowers like they would have for a child's normal behavioral issues really made me excited about what the rest of the film is going to be like.

Oh god, I just realized, imagine The BanterTM.
    I'm mixed on it. He definitely sounds youthful, and the acting is on point. But I still think it's too old. The voice doesn't match the design. I think I would have actually preferred the "gender-neutral, unisex high-pitched kid voice". They already have notable anime VAs playing his parents, so keep the trend going and cast someone like Ryan Reynolds (not the one you're thinking of), Cristina Vee, or Erica Mendez. All of them pull off convincing boys when they need to.

Or just...you know...cast a kid like they did for Damian in the previous DCAU movies.
    Last edited by Blue22; 10-05-2022 at 08:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post

So Jon's been retconned to exist in stories as far back as the 1970s?
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue22 View Post

You know what? I almost said this was a "be careful what you wish for" moment, but I'll give 'em this. He looks great. And it seems like they listened. The awful (and inconsistent) haircut is gone and he doesn't look like a skinny Clark clone anymore. The only problem is that he's gone from dressing like Clark to dressing like Kara. Like...I guess I can't complain too much because that design is amazing (and I won't be reading whatever this is anyway) but they really are just allergic to letting him have his own style now, huh?
    Wait, is that art from the next arc of Action? Which means new costumes have just been revealed for Jon, Kara, Natasha, Conner, and Kenan?
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Or just...you know...cast a kid like they did for Damian in the previous DCAU movies.
    Jon's VA was born in 2003. He voiced Alberto in Luca and the protagonist of Ron's Gone Wrong, both of whom are around Jon's age, and gave great performances as a believable young boy in both.

But if the voice isn't for you, it isn't for you. Travis Willingham just doesn't fit Superman for me, but he delivers his lines well and his dialogue feels natural, so I can't really complain all that much because the voice doesn't sound right.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    So Jon's been retconned to exist in stories as far back as the 1970s?
    Was Space Age supposed to be in continuity? I thought it was a Spider-Man: Life Story kind of book with Superman through the decades instead of Spidey.
    Last edited by garazza; 10-05-2022 at 12:48 PM.

Rooter Teeth's 3D animation was very advanced and innovative for its time, so it's really cool to see the style pioneered by Monty Oum be done on a big studio budget. I was really impressed by how smooth the run cycle was for Jon, and the cinematography was unexpectedly top notch. It's clear a lot of love went into this movie on all levels.

I was initially put off by their voices (even though I was OK with them in the trailer) when they first started saying words, but then they kept saying words and they started talking, like actually talking. The dialogue felt very so natural and real and like a genuine conversation between an upset tween and their parent, that it didn't matter how different their voices sounded, they just communicated so well together. You can tell this movie was written by a comic book writer and one that actually cares about these characters.

I think an unexpected highlight of the movie is going to be its soundtrack. The orchestral music felt so over the top it really elevated the scene, for a moment it felt like I was watching Iron Giant and not some direct to DVD movie.
    RIP Monty. I don't think he ever thought his animation style for his dream series would be used for an actual DC Animated film, with the Super AND Bat families as the main focus.

Voice aside, it really felt almost straight out of Superman Rebirth (thankfully minus one dearly departed cat). The voice will take me a little getting used to, but its not bad at all. Just different from how I imagined Jon to be voiced is all.

Jon's VA was born in 2003. He voiced Alberto in Luca and the protagonist of Ron's Gone Wrong, both of whom are around Jon's age, and gave great performances as a believable young boy in both.
    Both of those examples are teenagers (wasn't Alberto like 13-14?). Isn't Jon ten in this movie? Or did they make him Damian's age?

Both of those examples are teenagers (wasn't Alberto like 13-14?). Isn't Jon ten in this movie? Or did they make him Damian's age?
    He just had his eleventh birthday (and so did Barney in Ron's Gone Wrong) as per the movie synopsis, though I was shocked to find Luca and Alberto were actually 13 and 14. Lots of these characters don't really "match" their age. I prefer to lump them all together as the age of "Middle Schooler" because it's non-specific but applies to all characters, gives them a shared background/experience, and doesn't require any "2-3 year age gap in reverse" explanation.