Page 11 of 73 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314152161 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    Him being a standalone is fine even now and is what i want.But,They are going to use him as batfamily adjacent..The monkey prince would have been far better with superman as adjacent property like say the new gods..Something connected to superman but with it's own pull.Heck! superfamily should be like that.Everycharacter should have their own marketability.
    Er, no. In that line of reasoning, it should have been Wonder Woman and the whole Fantasy setting her lore is derived from.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    Er, no. In that line of reasoning, it should have been Wonder Woman and the whole Fantasy setting her lore is derived from.
    The guy isn't monkey king.The story is about a kid in modern world,the here and now..Sounds familiar?superman a scifi character fighting the good fight for the little guy here..Superman was not meant to be some space dweller.I don't think the prince is gonna be either.Otherwise they could have set the story in realm of gods,not in city on earth (albeit a fantasy city).
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

A Dark Crisis image from the trailer, Jon posing in front of Yara.

"It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Jon Kent as Superman being at the head of Dark Crisis rocks. I can't wait for him to get his own Superman show, Superman movie, Superman everything! Teen Jon forever!

The guy isn't monkey king.The story is about a kid in modern world,the here and now..Sounds familiar?superman a scifi character fighting the good fight for the little guy here..Superman was not meant to be some space dweller.I don't think the prince is gonna be either.Otherwise they could have set the story in realm of gods,not in city on earth (albeit a fantasy city).
    The Monkey King mythos is in the same line as Greek Mythology (except Chinese, obviously), which is where its pulling its lore. And already half the story is in one of the realms of the gods.

We got some kid Jon content in the Nightwing 89 preview.

So DC and Taylor are capable of giving us more of the real Jon, they just actively choose not to, am I getting that right? These pages right here demonstrate that they can literally de-age Jon Kent and not suffer any ill effects. The only thing stopping them is that they won't de-age him.

Like I know the preview pages are explicitly set in the past, but if those pages were published during or shortly after Rebirth, it wouldn't have been out of place. In fact, Taylor really did capture the same energy that was in Superman Rebirth and Super Sons, and that's all DC needed to do was just carry on that energy when Tomasi, Gleason, and Jurgens left of their own volition and Taylor just demonstrated he would've been a good successor at the time. So Taylor and DC genuinely understand what people liked about Jon, and can give us more (so much more), but instead of doing stuff like this for the past three years, they instead made stories like these impossible until he's de-aged. We can very easily pick up where we left off, nothing of value would be lost.
    Last edited by garazza; 02-12-2022 at 12:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by garazza View Post
    We got some kid Jon content in the Nightwing 89 preview.

So DC and Taylor are capable of giving us more of the real Jon, they just actively choose not to, am I getting that right? These pages right here demonstrate that they can literally de-age Jon Kent and not suffer any ill effects. The only thing stopping them is that they won't de-age him.

Like I know the preview pages are explicitly set in the past, but if those pages were published during or shortly after Rebirth, it wouldn't have been out of place. In fact, Taylor really did capture the same energy that was in Superman Rebirth and Super Sons, and that's all DC needed to do was just carry on that energy when Tomasi, Gleason, and Jurgens left of their own volition and Taylor just demonstrated he would've been a good successor at the time. So Taylor and DC genuinely understand what people liked about Jon, and can give us more (so much more), but instead of doing stuff like this for the past three years, they instead made stories like these impossible until he's de-aged. We can very easily pick up where we left off, nothing of value would be lost.
    do you think superman(clark) fans will like that?Is it wise to turn superman franchise into "My hero acedemia"?Essentially,superboy's growth becomes focal point of the franchise while superman stays stagnant and plays the role of a dad/mentor.Do you think superman franchise will benefit from that?Personally speaking,i would become a jon fan than clark fan in that case.(which i am)
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 02-12-2022 at 01:04 PM.

So DC and Taylor are capable of giving us more of the child Jon, they just actively choose not to, am I getting that right?
    Yes. And thank the Source Wall they're choosing not to.

do you think superman(clark) fans will like that?Is it wise to turn superman franchise into "My hero acedemia"?Essentially,superboy's growth becomes focal point of the franchise while superman stays stagnant and plays the role of a dad/mentor.Do you think superman franchise will benefit from that?Personally speaking,i would become a jon fan than clark fan in that case.(which i am)
    Even if a Clark/Superman fan hates Jon, he's a character that's here to stay since Rebirth was a success. His jump in popularity after his debut is what made DC turn to him and say, "That's awesome! Let's fix that!"

I don't see how Jon being a kid will turn the entire Superman franchise into BNHA, and I find any comparison between Western comics and BNHA in any capacity to be superficial at best. The popularity of Jon and the popularity of BNHA are two separate occurrences that have no influence on each other.

Jon/Superboy's growth would become the focal point of the Jon Kent franchise, a subfranchise of the greater Superman franchise, again not the entire Superman franchise. Superboy has never been a character that is seen as taking away from Superman, and Jon is no exception. The Superman books would be focused on Clark like they always have and the Superboy book would focus on Jon because he's become popular enough to be trusted to carry his own book.

Superman was around for 80 years before DC turned him into a father, so Clark is far from stagnant with that new facet of his character, and he was admittedly pretty stagnant (some would say "more developed"), but only because he'd been around for 80 years, before Rebirth but all it took was one new thing to breathe a whole new life into the character and franchise but the fact that he'd stuck around for 8 decades, almost a century, suggests to me that he was still pretty evergreen before that and far from ever being stagnant. He's only that in the eyes and minds of lesser creatives.

I think DC would benefit from a franchise like Jon Kent as a kid, not just Superman. Variety is the spice of life and a publishing line with a diverse amount of comics that are different genres and appeal to different demographics is what I think is best for business. A line almost entirely dominated by Batman doesn't give a lot of choice for readers, but if there are all-ages books, mature and graphic Black Label books, sci-fi or fantasy books, team and solo books of characters both new and old, regular Elseworlds books, and a healthy contingent of standard titles leaves readers with a buffet they used to only be able to find on the independent scene.

I'm a Superman fan because of Jon. He made me interested in Superman as an actual character and not as just some fixture of the DC universe. He made me want to go back and see who he was and what he was like before he was a father. And I don't think that's an uncommon occurrence, liking a side character first and having them be your introduction to the bigger character.
    Last edited by garazza; 02-13-2022 at 11:43 AM.

I don't see how Jon being a kid will turn the entire Superman franchise into BNHA, and I find any comparison between Western comics and BNHA in any capacity to be superficial at best. The popularity of Jon and the popularity of BNHA are two separate occurrences that have no influence on each other.
    Because rebirth was basically my hero academia.when jon left i couldn't stand clark kent as a character.Personal anecdote i know,but superman had no quality protagonist.The character was secondary to jon or batman or whatever.

As for 80 years,there are many version of character.Rebirtj version's development was tied to jon entirely.Without jon there was no clark.

It took superman and authority based on Morrison's superman take for me to be interested in superman.Samething with pkj.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 02-13-2022 at 12:04 PM.

Because rebirth was basically my hero academia.when jon left i couldn't stand clark kent as a character.Personal anecdote i know,but superman had no quality protagonist.The character was secondary to jon or batman or whatever.

As for 80 years,there are many version of character.Rebirtj version's development was tied to jon entirely.Without jon there was no clark.

It took superman and authority based on Morrison's superman take for me to be interested in superman.Samething with pkj.
    I still don't get how Rebirth is anything like BNHA. They both have superheroes, but that's it.

From one personal anecdote to another, like I said that Jon was my introduction to Superman and through Jon I only got to see one facet of Clark. As I read more and more Superman stories, I got a fuller picture of who he was as a character. Even though Rebirth was my introduction to the character, now it's just one part of a multi-faceted, well-rounded character that existed 80 years prior to Rebirth.

And of course Clark's development in Rebirth was tied to Jon, DC literally made him into a father! That was the entire point of Rebirth! DC wouldn't give a Superman a child and then have no stories where either Clark or Lois don't think about what it means to be a parent to their new child. Rebirth would've ended naturally and eventually and things would return to their regularly scheduled programming, but in the meantime, Superman may have taken a bit of a backseat in some people's eyes but it was done in service of building up a new character like Jon. And Clark wasn't losing anything by not having the spotlight all to himself, in fact he was gaining something: a son.

I personally don't get the hype around Morrison's take on Superman, but just because it doesn't interest me doesn't mean it doesn't interest you and that's great! There's something for everyone in comics. From what I've heard here and elsewhere, PKJ's Warworld stuff sounds pretty cool and it would've been a great follow-up to Rebirth's more Earth-based stories with a cosmic gladiator story. And from what little I have read of his, I like PKJ's storytelling more than Tomasi and Gleason's.

When Jon Kent gets his own Superboy soon I'll wonder if they'll be close to him in age or not. Maybe he'll have a son!

Quote Originally Posted by Superboy-Prime View Post
    When Jon Kent gets his own Superboy soon I'll wonder if they'll be close to him in age or not. Maybe he'll have a son!
    Oooh, we can bring back Chris Kent and Jon and him can be Kryptonian boyfriends and have a child that is three-quarters Kryptonian like Pan from Dragonball GT!

Turns out Dick pays Jon's wages! Nightwing is funding The Truth.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Oooh, we can bring back Chris Kent and Jon and him can be Kryptonian boyfriends and have a child that is three-quarters Kryptonian like Pan from Dragonball GT!
    Actually....having him be Jon's Superboy would be a pretty neat way to bring Chris back. Maybe fake Jon would be more interesting if he had the better Kent son to bounce off of.