Page 56 of 73 FirstFirst ... 64652535455565758596066 ... LastLast

Williamson is a solid overall writer. Did a damn good job on Damian in Robin, and did a better job with fakeJon then the current writer, and the writer who pretty much created him.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post

This was badass and I enjoyed the use of flashbacks.
    These should be badass moments.. but I just can’t enjoy them. Still so salty about Teen Jon. Really HATE DC editorial and their stubbornness

Astonishing Member

It was the best moment teen Jon has ever had. Just pure epic. I'm really glad that Williamson is getting Superman and I hope, that he will write Jon as well at some point.

Astonishing Member The Frog Bros's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Venomized-spider-man View Post
    then you got this week's issue to compare where he gets hospitalized by some random dude throwing a wooden chair
    Haven't got my copy yet but a chair? Oh my...

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post

This was badass and I enjoyed the use of flashbacks.
    This on the other hand... now we're talkin!

Seems like an interesting and funny juxtaposition between the books featuring Jon this week.
    “Look, you can’t put the Superman #77s with the #200s. They haven’t even discovered Red Kryptonite yet. And you can’t put the #98s with the #300s, Lori Lemaris hasn’t even been introduced.” — Sam
    “Where the hell are you from? Krypton?” — Edgar Frog

The Jon story in the Death of Superman special was I think a good synopsis of the events of that story and shows how that day would be remembered in universe. Supposedly this is supposed to lead into the Jurgens/Weeks back ups post AC 1050, but this was a pretty self-contained story. Doombreaker was a guy that got turned into a Doomsday because he kept a piece of Doomday's bones, but wasn't there like a Doomsday virus in the New 52 that did the exact same thing?

Quote Originally Posted by The Frog Bros View Post
    Haven't got my copy yet but a chair? Oh my...

Seems like an interesting and funny juxtaposition between the books featuring Jon this week.
    Yeah, to be fair it set up the dude was neutralizing his powers, but this is the entire fight
    1667934225577005.jpg
    1667934292690739.jpg

I don't think Jon has ever got a single W in a fight throughout the solo. Correct me if I'm wrong tho
    Last edited by Venomized-spider-man; 11-09-2022 at 07:34 AM.

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Yeah, to be fair it set up the dude was neutralizing his powers, but this is the entire fight
    1667934225577005.jpg
    1667934292690739.jpg

I don't think Jon has ever got a single W in a fight throughout the solo. Correct me if I'm wrong tho
    Heeeeeeeee does not........

All his encounters end with him either talking down the guy or tanking it long enough for it to not become a problem.

Even his final confrontation with Bendix simply amounted to him blocking a space laser with his face as Luthor kills him.

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis-Ray View Post
    Heeeeeeeee does not........

All his encounters end with him either talking down the guy or tanking it long enough for it to not become a problem.

Even his final confrontation with Bendix simply amounted to him blocking a space laser with his face as Luthor kills him.
    Wow. That's...even more disappointing than Bendis' run. And that's impressive in the wrong way. Glad I skipped.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    Had to go to the link to be sure, but odd seeing Cassie with short hair. Maybe genderbent?
    Cassie actually debuted with boyish short hair. She grew it out over the course of Young Justice, with it being shoulder length or longer when she was a Teen Titan.

then you got this week's issue to compare where he gets hospitalized by some random dude throwing a wooden chair
    Gotta admit, that's not where I expected to get a proper introduction to the Beth Chapel version of Doctor Mid-Nite.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post

Gotta admit, that's not where I expected to get a proper introduction to the Beth Chapel version of Doctor Mid-Nite.
    Hey I'm not complaining about seeing Beth

While the solo annoyingly really likes to jam as many cameos in I do appreciate this time for it connects the dc universe tastefully and makes sense. It not screaming "Batman here so this issue will sell 5 more copies" but rather re-introduce a character that makes sense in the story and contribute to the current setting as the JSA are coming back

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Cassie actually debuted with boyish short hair. She grew it out over the course of Young Justice, with it being shoulder length or longer when she was a Teen Titan.
    Did not know that. Thanks!

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    Wow. That's...even more disappointing than Bendis' run. And that's impressive in the wrong way. Glad I skipped.
    Its the annoying thing with Taylor. He did this really bizarre pacifist portrayal where Jon could not resolve any conflict through violence, instead through heart. Taylor even bragged in an interview how he's written the series without having Jon throw a single punch.

Whats really annoying is how backwards the series has to justify itself to keep this message. Every opponent Jon faces is some kind of victim that Jon talks down because he chooses to resolve the confrontation with love or when it is violently resolved its always done with someone else like Nightwing, Jay, the Revolutionaries, or Lex in the final issue so Jon doesn't have to get his hands dirty.

Makes you wonder what the Hell Jon would have done had he encountered a threat he couldn't talk down. Parasite, Doomsday, Lobo, they could wring his skinny neck with how Taylor has been writing him.

It is so bizarre how folks are upset to see the protagonist -- Superman --SUPERMAN(!!!!) -- successfully utilizing compassion to counter violent threats -- particularly when so many of said threats are enslaved & weaponized innocent people.

Taylor is bringing awareness, through the Superhero lens, that ALTERNATIVES TO VIOLENCE EXIST and PERCEPTION is RELATIVE and therefore worthy of scrutiny and consideration.
    Heat Vision. Super Strength. Invulnerability. Super Powers. These are not the only tools available to a HERO, nor do they MAKE a hero. Jon Kent is an examination & exploration of how a being as powerful as Superman CAN find ways to resolve conflict beyond the simplicity of force/murder.
    Last edited by Fokken; 11-10-2022 at 07:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    It is so bizarre how folks are upset to see the protagonist -- Superman --SUPERMAN(!!!!) -- successfully utilizing compassion to counter violent threats -- particularly when so many of said threats are enslaved & weaponized innocent people.

Taylor is bringing awareness, through the Superhero lens, that ALTERNATIVES TO VIOLENCE EXIST and PERCEPTION is RELATIVE and therefore worthy of scrutiny and consideration.
    Heat Vision. Super Strength. Invulnerability. Super Powers. These are not the only tools available to a HERO, nor do they MAKE a hero. Jon Kent is an examination & exploration of how a being as powerful as Superman CAN find ways to resolve conflict beyond the simplicity of force/murder.
    But thing is as Mantis-Ray mentions above he doesn't resolve nothing with his compassion/pacifisim

the solo series is Jon using non-violence and then get his ass beat needing someone else to come along and fix the situation with violence/murder

Jon didn't save Gamorra with his words or diplomacy or inspiring the people to take up arms he had the revolutionary & Robin go in and overthrow the dictator with violence & Lex even being the one to end the regime by straight up murdering Bendix

It literally just pulling the rug under Jon and having other do the dirty work so he can be on the high horse

also, yeah superman use violence for the sake of truth and justice his compassion is for the innocent and oppressed, he'll offer it towards his villain but that doesn't mean he going to stand there and let them do injustices towards other or get killed because of a strange sense of Pacifism? that not pacifism that just appeasement
    Last edited by Venomized-spider-man; 11-10-2022 at 08:34 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    How does any of that make a compelling comic?

It doesn't, and that's why it's cancelled.