Page 8 of 101 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121858 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Calintz View Post
    See I believe he had that coming for what he did. Rogue also tried to talk to him afterwards about the situation but like most of us we ain't trying to hear it. I really wish the writer would have flushed out an actual conversation between Rogue and Hellion as to why he used such extreme force and why she almost tossed him into orbit.
    I think he should of probably watched what he was saying, the boy has a filter problem, but he was only defending himself. Considering Rogue's own history, I think she'd be a bit more empathic with wayward youths who tend to think they can get their way with violence.

But maybe that is exactly why she's harsh on him... ? I agree with you, woulda been nice to see more of them together. It was an interesting dynamic and poor Hellion has felt pretty abandoned by his role models, which would have fit perfectly with Rogue's job at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by ChronoRogue View Post
    I think he should of probably watched what he was saying, the boy has a filter problem, but he was only defending himself. Considering Rogue's own history, I think she'd be a bit more empathic with wayward youths who tend to think they can get their way with violence.

But maybe that is exactly why she's harsh on him... ? I agree with you, woulda been nice to see more of them together. It was an interesting dynamic and poor Hellion has felt pretty abandoned by his role models, which would have fit perfectly with Rogue's job at the time.
    OMG yes! I felt his abandonment. That's why I feel the writer should have fleshed that out more after the battle. I do have to re-read that issue. I vaguely remember but she did attack them which made them all try to defend themselves. I also recalled that he had some fears or hate towards Karima for what she was and felt justified on how he stopped her. I think w/Rogue she didn't think he had to use extreme force to subdue Karima.

Quote Originally Posted by Calintz View Post
    OMG yes! I felt his abandonment. That's why I feel the writer should have fleshed that out more after the battle. I do have to re-read that issue. I vaguely remember but she did attack them which made them all try to defend themselves. I also recalled that he had some fears or hate towards Karima for what she was and felt justified on how he stopped her. I think w/Rogue she didn't think he had to use extreme force to subdue Karima.
    Yep! That was exactly it, he basically went overboard. Part of that may have been because he is biased against her because she's a human-sentinel but also probably the adrenaline/fear in that situation.

A book where Rogue works with the "problematic" young X-Men would have been really interesting tbh! A team of Rogue, Hellion, Surge, Wither, and Kenji if they ever revive him would be cool. :O

I forget if any of the OG Hellions are still in the age range to fit because that'd be fun lol.

I love (sarcasm) how Rogue hasn't had her focus issue yet or done anything relevant in that damn book, and they're already voting for the x-men group rotation.

For God's sake take custody of Rogue from Duggan once and for all.

Quote Originally Posted by thjan View Post
    Again, I disagree. I for one would have been very satisfied and happy seeing Rogue play an instrumental part in bringing Destiny back and actually talking to Mystique for the first time in the Krakoan era.
    Agreed With this.

Well with the recent news of a new team debuting in X-Men in #13, what do Rogue fans think of Rogue's chances are of staying in the book? Do we even want her to stay there?

Then again, the alternative might just be rejoining Excalibur or going into Limbo...
    Rogue I don't think she will go to limbo, she is a character that writers generally like, and in the x office they know she sells well so if she goes to limbo I doubt it will not be for more than a couple of months , less having a year his return on Disney + / mcu.

If the option is to have her with Duggan as the wallpaper in Jean's book, thank you but I prefer to have her in limbo temporarily, because she is not a c list we know that limbo will not last long.

But I don't want her with Duggan, to get in there she gives you an idea of ​​the disappointment in X-men.

The important thing is that we keep her away from Duggan's horrible job.

Astonishing Member

I definitely would love to see Rogue's interactions with a lot of the New X-Men on Utopia revisited, because while I like a lot of Carey's work with Rogue in other places, that was a total miss for me. It wasn't just Hellion - personally, I do fall in the camp of thinking she was too harsh on him, because I didn't see Hellion's reaction as being as simple as being prejudicial towards Karima as an Omega Sentinel, but a lot better described as a delayed trauma response. It was literally an Omega Sentinel that sliced off his hands in the first place, with due to the compressed timeline, this probably only happening at most months or a year before that story in Utopia. And with as much as the X-Men and mutant characters were enduring on a daily basis those years, I can't imagine Hellion got anywhere close to the help and therapy he needed to cope with what had happened to him, and I believe this was basically his first encounter with an Omega Sentinel SINCE the battle where he lost his hands, and no real way for Hellion to know Karima wasn't the threat to him and other mutants that literally every other Omega Sentinel was by way of programming most literally can't shake.

So Rogue's response didn't work for me because this wasn't a bad kid being bad, a cocky punk being arrogant, prejudice born of innate and irrational Othering.....he's a kid who endured extreme trauma and reacted aggressively out of fear/bravado to someone he categorized as a threat, based on the threat every other Omega Sentinel had ever posed to him and his friends. His extreme reaction reads to me not as "I'm gonna kick the ass of this Othered individual so hard because they're the Other" but "if I had reacted more like this the last time I faced an Omega Sentinel, maybe I'd still have my hands so this time I'm not gonna wait around and see what might happen to me or my friends if I'm too slow/hesitant/timid in facing this threat." Like there were layers present that I just don't think Carey considered, meaning Rogue didn't consider them, when most other times I'd think Rogue would be one of the characters MOST likely to react to Hellion with more empathy and consider other reasons he reacted the way he did. Considering her own history and the ways she's used bravado to cover up feeling insecure, vulnerable, or defensive about how others perceived her and her attitude and past deeds....who's better suited to being able to tell when aggressiveness is being used to cover up a fear response or a fear of rejection? Not to mention being able to recognize a trauma response in someone who's a victim of past violence.

I actually had similar issues with how Carey wrote Rogue with Indra, a minor character I've also always really liked....but Indra's ongoing story under Carey was him struggling with his Jainist beliefs about pacifism in the face of the violence he and his friends were so often brought face to face with. Again...Rogue was not super understanding about Indra's internal struggle and her pep talks to him basically amounted to buck up soldier, this is a war now and you gotta decide if you're just gonna sit on the sidelines or get out there and help your friends not die so they don't die when you could've saved them and thus its all your fault. I mean, I'm paraphrasing but not by much, lol. But here too the issue for me wasn't so much that I didn't like what Rogue was saying, it was that I don't buy Rogue saying it.

This is a woman whose literal power is to absorb the memories, thoughts and feelings of those she touches. She's been in thousands of heads, lived snapshots of their lives, and for her, its not like being an outsider overhearing what someone is thinking or looking in on their life from outside a window. Its like she IS them, she's LIVING their life in the aftermath of being flooded with impressions she's absorbed from them. There's a direct empathy to her power and what she learns about people from them that isn't inherently present with a lot of other information-gathering superpowers, as her power literally makes her an innate expert at putting herself in someone else's shoes and not just having a surface level insight to what they're thinking, feeling or afraid of, but a deeper, more profound understanding of WHY they're feeling that way, what LEADS to them thinking certain things, etc.

So much like with Hellion, I saw Rogue's overall 'guidance' of Indra as being less about what Rogue's character would say or feel about these instances IMO and more about Rogue used as a mouthpiece for what Carey himself happened to think the takeaway from these scenes should be. Like Rogue's comments to Indra about his struggle to remain true to his pacifist beliefs even faced with violent persecution....sorry not sorry but those to me sounded one hundred percent the armchair analysis of a white Western dude about an Eastern spirituality he only knew about via wikipedia pages. With zero acknowledgment that there are plenty of dark-skinned practitioners of Jainism who have suffered persecution for their skin color or ethnicity and the viewpoint of Jain Buddhists who've been persecuted or have faced violence while still adhering to their own pursuit of pacifism might be a little more relevant than the diagnosis of a nonmarginalized writer working off of personal assumptions of why an oppressed person might or might adhere to pacifism.

And nowhere in any of that did I get a sense of Rogue as a person who knows better than anyone else that there's always something more going on under someone's skin and that a surface level response does not mean there's not more to that response lurking beneath the surface. One of my favorite recurring characterizations of Rogue is how she's this dichotomy of a person who doesn't leap to assumptions about WHY people do or believe the things they do, while at the same time, she's someone who absolutely knows the things she knows and believes what she believes, and she'll one hundred percent lay a judgmental beatdown on anyone in terms of differing ideologies. Like I mean, she doesn't just take it for granted that she understands why someone's on the opposite side of her, that she assumes they're opposing her viewpoint because reason xyz. But once she DOES know what's informing their opposition, when she KNOWS why someone thinks differently than her and she whole-heartedly disagrees, its on.

Its like in her fights with various Acolytes who aren't at all nuanced in their hatred of humans compared to Acolytes who follow Magneto because they've been persecuted as mutants and believe his way is best for keeping mutants safe and thriving. Rogue ABSOLUTELY differentiates in her attitudes towards and fights with various Acolytes, moreso even than most X-Men, and I love that about her. When she faces off against more thoughtful Acolytes who aren't just outright human-hating mutant supremacists, she's like, I respect where you're coming from, I do, its just I do still think you're wrong and I can't just stand by and let you do what you're doing, so I'm gonna lay a beatdown on you now until you stop, but its nothing personal, ya hear? You're just on the wrong side of this one but maybe someday we'll be on different sides and we can even be friends. I promise I'm gonna try and kick your ass as gently as possible, k.

But then seconds after clocking someone like Neophyte and laying him down gently so he's not too sore when he wakes up, she can turn around and its those fucking bonehead loser jack-asses the Kleinstock brothers charging at her with leers on their faces and she's just like ugh, these douchebags. Yeah, you guys don't get the kiddie gloves. To the moon, Alice. And then just punches them into orbit.

LOL. Anyway, point is, that's my preferred take on Rogue, the one where she's unshakeable in her own beliefs and priorities but doesn't make assumptions she doesn't have to because her own power has shown her too many times how her first impression of someone can be dead wrong. I don't necessarily NEED Rogue as a teacher or counselor to younger mutants in the current era, but I wouldn't hate it for the chance at a do-over in her interactions with a lot of the existing ones, particularly the kids around in the Utopia era, because I think she can be an ideal teacher and counselor but most of those past interactions or attempts to write her as one just completely missed the mark for me, and didn't feel like her at all.
    Last edited by BobbysWorld; 01-11-2022 at 01:59 PM.

FI1OS9GXMAEv9cn.jpg
    So this is out now...
    Hopefully it spells good tidings. And I heard the new X-Man is being added to the current team instead of the lineup being wholy replaced.
    For all your Rogue needs, give us a visit!
    https://www.facebook.com/BringBackBrawlinRogueSugah

Quote Originally Posted by BobbysWorld View Post
    LOL. Anyway, point is, that's my preferred take on Rogue, the one where she's unshakeable in her own beliefs and priorities but doesn't make assumptions she doesn't have to because her own power has shown her too many times how her first impression of someone can be dead wrong. I don't necessarily NEED Rogue as a teacher or counselor to younger mutants in the current era, but I wouldn't hate it for the chance at a do-over in her interactions with a lot of the existing ones, particularly the kids around in the Utopia era, because I think she can be an ideal teacher and counselor but most of those past interactions or attempts to write her as one just completely missed the mark for me, and didn't feel like her at all.
    Appreciate the write up BobbyIsWorld! I agree, sometimes I felt like Carey's Rogue should have been more empathic, her power does let her to really understand where someone is coming from; even better than a telepath in some ways. I think more could of been done for her in that role. I do hope we revisit that role one day.

Quote Originally Posted by seccruz
    Hopefully it spells good tidings. And I heard the new X-Man is being added to the current team instead of the lineup being wholy replaced.
    That did catch my eye as well. Hopefully Rogue gets some nice moments soon, she really has been missing the past couple of issues.

Oh? That's interesting, I guess we'll see what happens. I do think we'll keep some members, but not sure if everyone is staying.

Interesting ... I hope that Duggan will deliver for Rogue finally (and soon.) Pretty sure we won't see her until at least X-Men #8 from the spoilers I saw for #7. And I hope it's not just punching a robot or monster or yelling at someone again. Some actual character development? Creative use of her powers? Taking any kind of significant role on the team? Something!

My patience with this book is wearing thin, but it's still a better role for her than most of the other titles presently and I absolutely don't want to see her trapped with her hubby in Excalibur 2.0. It's bad enough he's still stuck there! Not sure I'm that excited about another Gala already. It was kinda fun once but it feels way too soon to revisit.

I would love to see Rogue back in a mentorship role and yes, making up for some of those less stellar interpersonel performances written in Legacy. You're right on the money, BobbysWorld! Rogue should have so much more empathy and it's frustrating when she's written without it.

That actually influenced who I voted for - who Rogue might be a good mentor for. I do wonder if one member will leave the team to make room for the new member or are we just going to keep adding more cast each year to throw in the background and ignore? At least for these new characters, that's an improvement over their present circumstances though of being in no book at all.

Appreciate the write up BobbyIsWorld! I agree, sometimes I felt like Carey's Rogue should have been more empathic, her power does let her to really understand where someone is coming from; even better than a telepath in some ways. I think more could of been done for her in that role. I do hope we revisit that role one day.

That did catch my eye as well. Hopefully Rogue gets some nice moments soon, she really has been missing the past couple of issues.

Oh? That's interesting, I guess we'll see what happens. I do think we'll keep some members, but not sure if everyone is staying.
    Maybe not... Maybe some leave. I'm just hoping Rogue stays... or goes to Mars

Oof sad to hear that 7 might not feature Rogue much either. It's been rough this run, with only a few more issues to go before the shake-up.

Hopefully Duggan can deliver on that moment.

Quote Originally Posted by seccruz
    Maybe not... Maybe some leave. I'm just hoping Rogue stays... or goes to Mars
    NGL, I would love to see her in X-Men Red. It's exactly the cosmic political intrigue that is up my alley.

Quote Originally Posted by Sylarmax View Post

The important thing is that we keep her away from Duggan's horrible job.
    Idk, I thought Duggan did a decent job with her in his Uncanny Avengers run. Surprisingly disappointed she hasn't had anything to do in the current X-Men book, as she was one of the big reasons I was picking this title up.
    "The White Queen welcomes you, TO DIE!"

Oof sad to hear that 7 might not feature Rogue much either. It's been rough this run, with only a few more issues to go before the shake-up.

Hopefully Duggan can deliver on that moment.

NGL, I would love to see her in X-Men Red. It's exactly the cosmic political intrigue that is up my alley.
    Plus her and Frenzy team up, hopefully!

I hope the "Oh, mama!" line by Duggan means we're finally getting some Rogue/Destiny content. Hickman revealed his plans for Rogue in Inferno during a podcast interview and I'm still frustrated he didn't go through with them. Would have added so much heart to Inferno, something it was really lacking IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Fi View Post
    I hope the "Oh, mama!" line by Duggan means we're finally getting some Rogue/Destiny content. Hickman revealed his plans for Rogue in Inferno during a podcast interview and I'm still frustrated he didn't go through with them. Would have added so much heart to Inferno, something it was really lacking IMO.
    Oh, didn't even think about that referencing Mystique or Destiny. I hope so! Not a huge pay-off in my mind, but it is definitely something I've been hoping to see ever since Irene has been resurrected.

Quote Originally Posted by seccruz View Post
    FI1OS9GXMAEv9cn.jpg
    So this is out now...
    Oh mama, wait to see her more like a wallpaper, while JeanZzzzz steals the scene with his boring monologues, TRANSLATION OF WHAT DUGGAN SAY.
    XD

Really bad news , it seems that Rogue is going to continue to be trapped with Duggan , I just hope that if so , at least she makes interesting cameos in other books , where is her husband for example , while our girl manages to escape Duggan 's horrible writing .