Page 6 of 101 FirstFirst ... 23456789101656 ... LastLast
    Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sandmans_Raven View Post
    What do you think writers are if not fans? And we still get the same amount 'favouritism' and so-called inconsistencies with them as well.
    They may also be fans but they also have years of skill and experience.
    And as HiX-Man himself intimated in one of his interviews...a lot of stuff happens internally and externally that (we are not privy to) changes plans and intentions which in turn affects the stories we do end up with every month.
    My Summer rain. My rooftop in Japan. My quiet in the storm. *cries* Al Ewing is GOD...Praise His name! Uplift Him in song! Glorify His works!

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    Actually no...LOL.

I really was just generalising based off many different posts I've read here and elsewhere on how recent stories and books have ended.

I get the love for speculating, I do, but...as we expect of the writers, so too must we make it make sense in context of the story within which it is told.

I totally understand why HiX-Man cut the Rogue scene. Could he have made it work? Sure. Would we Rogue fans have been satisfied? Absolutely not.
    Again, I disagree. I for one would have been very satisfied and happy seeing Rogue play an instrumental part in bringing Destiny back and actually talking to Mystique for the first time in the Krakoan era.

Astonishing Member

Sorry not sorry, but I refuse to buy that a writer who can make Doug the surprise wildcard of Inferno can't come up with any way to make Rogue relevant to the story of her mother's quest to bring back Rogue's other mother at any cost. I don't think it actually does Hickman any favors to act like there's literally no way Rogue could have had a part to play in all of this or that he just couldn't conceive of any way to involve her. He simply didn't rate her or her relationship with Destiny and Mystique as enough of a priority to make him FIND a way to tie her in, and like that's fine, that was his choice, and it doesn't make the story he did want to tell a total fail, it just means that the story he did tell will inevitably hold a degree of disconnect with readers who feel that Rogue's relationship with her mothers should be more of a priority than he viewed it as.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    Completely understandable. For what it's worth, I liked how the X:EVO creative team handled the pairing
    (even though, nothing of the sort ever occurred between them in the comic books):

Agreed. Of all the options, this one is my favorite...

Yeah, the I dislike the future ending because not only is rogue Scott’s clear second choice, she also gets the ‘Maddie-like’ baggage of reminding Scott of Jean because she has her powers…

The Hickman stuff, I’m not surprised it got t cut. It might have maxed Emma look like someone got something over on her, and she is one of Hickman’s favs, so not happening, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by BobbysWorld View Post
    Sorry not sorry, but I refuse to buy that a writer who can make Doug the surprise wildcard of Inferno can't come up with any way to make Rogue relevant to the story of her mother's quest to bring back Rogue's other mother at any cost. I don't think it actually does Hickman any favors to act like there's literally no way Rogue could have had a part to play in all of this or that he just couldn't conceive of any way to involve her. He simply didn't rate her or her relationship with Destiny and Mystique as enough of a priority to make him FIND a way to tie her in, and like that's fine, that was his choice, and it doesn't make the story he did want to tell a total fail, it just means that the story he did tell will inevitably hold a degree of disconnect with readers who feel that Rogue's relationship with her mothers should be more of a priority than he viewed it as.
    This is honestly the best way I've seen this put.

I saw somewhere Hickman said he's disappointed he didn't get to write Rogue, and I'm like lol no you chose not to, and that's fine, but don't act like she was the one item on your bucket list you just couldn't get to.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BobbysWorld View Post
    That's selling HiX-Man way short.
    Nobody said Rogue couldn't have had a part to play in bringing Destiny back. The writer himself wrote as much but deemed that, for reasons, there wasn't enough story space to include it. That's his prerogative based on his expertise. It sucks (for some) but it is what it is.
    I understand it's very difficult for some to take writers at their given word but at the end of the day we are not working in their shoes so we cannot say for certain why and how they make the decisions they do.

And it makes sense that he didn't place a heavy influence on Rogue's relationship with Mystique and Destiny because...
    1: Rogue was never a main part (or even a small) of his overarching plot involving Xavier Maggie Moira Mystique and Destiny from Hox/PoX
    2: Destiny only came back in the 2nd book of a 4-issue LS.
    3: Another writer has control of the character and could possibly cast some light on the relationship now that they're all together in one place...why divert a story with a scene that could best be told elsewhere?
    My Summer rain. My rooftop in Japan. My quiet in the storm. *cries* Al Ewing is GOD...Praise His name! Uplift Him in song! Glorify His works!

Nobody said Rogue couldn't have had a part to play in bringing Destiny back. The writer himself wrote as much but deemed that, for reasons, there wasn't enough story space to include it. That's his prerogative based on his expertise. It sucks (for some) but it is what it is.
    I understand it's very difficult for some to take writers at their given word but at the end of the day we are not working in their shoes so we cannot say for certain why and how they make the decisions they do.

And it makes sense that he didn't place a heavy influence on Rogue's relationship with Mystique and Destiny because...
    1: Rogue was never a main part (or even a small) of his overarching plot involving Xavier Maggie Moira Mystique and Destiny from Hox/PoX
    I am very happy with what Hickman has done for the X-men overall, but this highlights one of the biggest issues I have with him as a writer. He focuses on these big cerebral plots but ignores relationships. Rogue isn't even the biggest absence in this story. Moira is the star of his run, but Banshee and Wolfsbane are ignored, and Proteus is there but not given story relevance. The X-men are a family above all else, and the Krakoa era has let that fall to the wayside.

Astonishing Member

2: Destiny only came back in the 2nd book of a 4-issue LS.
    3: Another writer has control of the character and could possibly cast some light on the relationship now that they're all together in one place...why divert a story with a scene that could best be told elsewhere?
    But I'm not having a problem taking him at his word, is the thing? What he described there, what you summed up, is STILL him establishing his personal priorities when it came to the story he was writing and what he thought was essential to it and the characters in it, and what he could afford to discard, even if it wasn't ideal. Ironically, I think you're kinda....not taking some of us at our word? Many of us aren't saying that he's a terrible writer or that Inferno needs to be thrown into the fire from which it takes its name because it didn't include Rogue front and center.

Its literally just us saying that one of the flaws it had, in some of our eyes, something that held it back from being something we enjoyed more, was that what was ON THE PAGE ultimately treated Rogue as inconsequential to this story of Irene's return, how it happens, and Raven and Irene's priorities upon said return, and there's a degree of dissatisfaction to be expected then in the eyes of readers who view Rogue's relationship with her mothers as something that should be upheld as more important to all three characters than this story depicted it as.

We're not saying you have to agree with how important we view that relationship as being to all three characters, or that Hickman had to agree, or that there's nothing worthwhile about the story he did tell. Just that this is one of the reasons it didn't fully work for some of us. If you don't view Rogue's feelings about Irene as something that deserves a spot in the story that finally brought her back after an absence of thirty years in real time and about a decade in comic book time, then its totally understandable that Rogue's absence from this story isn't that big a deal. That's cool. I get that. But if I can get and respect that, surely it shouldn't be that hard to recognize the inverse: that anyone who views the relationship between Rogue and her mothers as something deserving of more focus is understandably going to feel that a narrative event we see as important to all three characters, should have like....contained all three.

*Shrugs* Its literally not that deep. I'm acknowledging that a reader's personal priorities in terms of these specific characters factors into how much this story worked for them or didn't, just as Hickman's personal priorities in terms of them factors into HOW he wrote the story and why he wrote it that way. My prioritization doesn't have to match Hickman's, or yours, or inform how he writes or how you read his story, and I'm not trying to say it should. Just that my prioritization informs my view of the story, and thus how I discuss it and what I have to say about it.

Yea it feels like a lot of personal relationships have been under-served this era. Outside of Gambit, we only got Rogue as Betsy's friend, which I would be fine with... if it wasn't already all about Betsy in Excalibur and everyone in that team was her cheerleader. They didn't feel like equals.

Anyway friendships or interactions I miss

Rogue & Iceman

Rogue & Storm

Rogue & Rachel

Quote Originally Posted by ChronoRogue View Post
    Yea it feels like a lot of personal relationships have been under-served this era. Outside of Gambit, we only got Rogue as Betsy's friend, which I would be fine with... if it wasn't already all about Betsy in Excalibur and everyone in that team was her cheerleader. They didn't feel like equals.

Rogue & Iceman

Rogue & Storm

Rogue & Rachel
    I miss Rogue & Steve and Janet

The whole team spent time with the Avengers in ToM except Rogue the one who was actually friends with them

She needs to spend some time on panel with Shiro as well now that they're on the same book
    Last edited by rhaenylis; 01-07-2022 at 01:28 PM.

Truuue. UA sometimes feels like a fever dream, in a good way.

"Oh, yea, Rogue DID lead the Avengers for a volume and big crossover event"

By the end of UA she was liked by everyone, outside of Pietro because he's a little

I always thought Rogue and Pietro butting heads in Avengers was a bit weird. They were shown to be pretty friendly in the Magneto miniseries of the late 90's.

I was bummed about Rogue not hanging out in ToM, too. The whole X-men team was showcased, but she was busy shopping. This was a concern I had when Rogue and Gambit got married; I like them together, and the marriage is fun, but now they basically only interact with each other when they're around each other. I was glad we got the little moments between Rogue, Storm, and Jean at the gala though.

I think them being friendly is weird personally, it's his father's ex and Pietro doesn't have a filter. He was bound to say something stupid and for him to get on her nerves. I found it more odd that wasn't brought up more TBH.

maybe she went out for drinks on purpose lmao. "oh god, my old co-workers" jk Rogue is the extrovert that'd seek them out

I blame the writers, they need to learn to write balanced relationships.

But yes, the Storm, Jean and Rogue moment was nice at least.
    Last edited by ChronoRogue; 01-07-2022 at 01:43 PM.

Astonishing Member Sandmans_Raven's Avatar

I blame the writers, they need to learn to write balanced relationships.
    I really wish this was more important in current books. I'm going to sound like a broken record but that's what I really enjoyed about Hellions. There might have been more focus on certain characters, but everyone interacted well together.
    Make Good Art

The majority won't agree, but I miss the interactions between Rogue & Kitty
    (I mean, they took turns saving each other back in the day):

Uncanny X-Men #194

Uncanny X-Men #211

Quote Originally Posted by rhaenylis View Post
    I miss Rogue & Steve and Janet

The whole team spent time with the Avengers in ToM except Rogue the one who was actually friends with them

She needs to spend some time on panel with Shiro as well now that they're on the same book
    In agreement with you about Rogue & Sunfire. Still have sad memories of their time imprisoned together (T^T)

Last edited by K7P5V; 01-08-2022 at 01:34 AM. Reason: Made Adjustments.