Page 5 of 32 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Pretty sure that pushing Yara has more to do with WB wanting replacements for the cinematic versions. Eventually Gadot is going to leave and when she does, they’ll still want a DCEU WW for team ups. My guess is the next DCEU Trinity after Supergirl/Batgirl/WW will be Superman (Jon)/Batman (Jace)/WW (Yara). Thus they need content to adapt for Yara and will likely keep using her.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Nubia will definitely be the Diana replacement on the big screen if thr replace her.

Astonishing Member WonderLight789's Avatar

Wait a minute. DC could lose the rights to Wonder Woman? That would be interesting. Let's face it, nothing can give us the guarantee that things can't be bad elsewhere. But DC has treated WW lore like trash for most of her history. So we wouldn't lose anything if she was no longer with DC.

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    Nubia will definitely be the Diana replacement on the big screen if thr replace her.
    I doubt that but you never know I guess. 5G was created with the express intention of making characters for adaption to outside media, Jim Lee talked about this. It’s why they’re still doing a version of it after Didio left.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by mystical41 View Post
    Wait a minute. DC could lose the rights to Wonder Woman? That would be interesting. Let's face it, nothing can give us the guarantee that things can't be bad elsewhere. But DC has treated WW lore like trash for most of her history. So we wouldn't lose anything if she was no longer with DC.
    They wouldnt lose the rights, she'd just become public domain. Something that they will fight tooth and nail to ensure it doesnt happen. But it isnt like Diana is a character that is THAT unique, a lot of the aspects are already public domain.

Astonishing Member WonderLight789's Avatar

They wouldnt lose the rights, she'd just become public domain. Something that they will fight tooth and nail to ensure it doesnt happen. But it isnt like Diana is a character that is THAT unique, a lot of the aspects are already public domain.
    They need to lose the rights. Otherwise, how much could things change for them if she becomes public domain?

Why would they need a "replacement" for Diana when Gadot leaves? Batman and Superman have been Bruce and Clark on every new iteration of Batman movies and Superman movies since they started making those movies. That's nonsense; Diana is Wonder Woman. Nubia is Nubia (whom I adore), and Yara is Yara (whom I don't), but Wonder Woman is Diana. And no, I have no interest to see a Wonder Woman film starring anyone but Diana in the title role.

Quote Originally Posted by HestiasHearth View Post
    Why would they need a "replacement" for Diana when Gadot leaves? Batman and Superman have been Bruce and Clark on every new iteration of Batman movies and Superman movies since they started making those movies. That's nonsense; Diana is Wonder Woman. Nubia is Nubia (whom I adore), and Yara is Yara (whom I don't), but Wonder Woman is Diana. And no, I have no interest to see a Wonder Woman film starring anyone but Diana in the title role.
    Going to remind you that this is the Yara Appreciation Thread before I respond further. If you don’t like her that’s fine but this is the thread for people who do. Moving on:

1. Shared mantle holding is becoming the norm. Miles is showing up in everything Spider-Man these days with the exception of the MCU, and I pretty much guarantee that when Holland is done, they’ll have MCU Miles take over as Spider-Man. Spider-Man is becoming something multiple people can be. We see that with Captain America, Sam Wilson is the new Cap and they have even returned the name to Sam in the comics, both he and Steve will be Captain America going forward. With Yara the intent was to create a Latina WW who could be adapted for media projects. Thus I expect her to get the mantle and share it with Diana. Wonder Woman will become a mantle that multiple people can have at the same time.
    2. There will be another Batman in the DCEU while Battison does his thing over in the corner. Might be DickBats, they’re apparently introducing Nightwing in Batgirl, but Keaton won’t be an active actor and they’ll need a Batman to replace him. If not DickBats I expect they’ll introduce Jace Fox’s Batman, or Damian Wayne, or Terry McGuiness. For Superman, S&L on the CW have introduced the son of Superman being trained to take over for Clark one day, and there’s an HBO Max Val-Zod show in the works. So the idea that people other than Clark can be Superman is also something that’s being built up.
    3. You really think they’re just going to keep playing in the shared universe without Supers/Bats/Wonders? They’re replacing Superman and Batman with Supergirl and Batgirl, they absolutely will replace Diana when Gadot is done. Unless they end the universe and reboot, which is possible, they will continue the WW brand with legacies, that’s the whole point of these characters.

Astonishing Member

They will just reboot it. There are already rumors about Crisis movie in the future, probably that's where they are going to. Playing with replacements is too risky, more likely they will just reset the whole thing after Gadot, Miller and Momoa are done.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Going to remind you that this is the Yara Appreciation Thread before I respond further. If you don’t like her that’s fine but this is the thread for people who do. Moving on:

1. Shared mantle holding is becoming the norm. Miles is showing up in everything Spider-Man these days with the exception of the MCU, and I pretty much guarantee that when Holland is done, they’ll have MCU Miles take over as Spider-Man. Spider-Man is becoming something multiple people can be. We see that with Captain America, Sam Wilson is the new Cap and they have even returned the name to Sam in the comics, both he and Steve will be Captain America going forward. With Yara the intent was to create a Latina WW who could be adapted for media projects. Thus I expect her to get the mantle and share it with Diana. Wonder Woman will become a mantle that multiple people can have at the same time.
    2. There will be another Batman in the DCEU while Battison does his thing over in the corner. Might be DickBats, they’re apparently introducing Nightwing in Batgirl, but Keaton won’t be an active actor and they’ll need a Batman to replace him. If not DickBats I expect they’ll introduce Jace Fox’s Batman, or Damian Wayne, or Terry McGuiness. For Superman, S&L on the CW have introduced the son of Superman being trained to take over for Clark one day, and there’s an HBO Max Val-Zod show in the works. So the idea that people other than Clark can be Superman is also something that’s being built up.
    3. You really think they’re just going to keep playing in the shared universe without Supers/Bats/Wonders? They’re replacing Superman and Batman with Supergirl and Batgirl, they absolutely will replace Diana when Gadot is done. Unless they end the universe and reboot, which is possible, they will continue the WW brand with legacies, that’s the whole point of these characters.
    I mean, Spidey's been done that with Ben Reilley and Kaine Parker.

Anyway, not sure what most of this movie talk has to do with Yara...

Who is great and I'm looking forward to seeing more of her adventures

Quote Originally Posted by Morgoth View Post
    They will just reboot it. There are already rumors about Crisis movie in the future, probably that's where they are going to. Playing with replacements is too risky, more likely they will just reset the whole thing after Gadot, Miller and Momoa are done.
    Thats the whole point of Flashpoint.

WB is trying to be the cool kid in super movies so they are willing to do replacements for anyone that isnt Batman.

Quote Originally Posted by Shimbo View Post

I’d argue it isn’t quite the same. Ben and Kaine were the Scarlet Spider and Ben was killed off so that Peter could return to being the sole Spider-Man. Ben only got to be “Spider-Man” for as long as Marvel had decided to retire Peter, when it was decided to make Peter the real Spidey, that was curtains for Ben. Even Ben’s current run as Spidey is because Peter is out of commission. Used to be you’d have characters take over the mantle for a while and then either return to or get spun off into their own identity. People no longer support new heroes however, so if you want to add diversity, you have to have the new characters keep the big names to sustain interest. Miles continuing to be Spider-Man in the same universe and at the same time as Peter is very much a new thing. But it’s becoming the norm and Yara debuted as Wonder Woman, so I expect her to get that title again eventually.

As for the movie talk, Yara’s creation is tied to 5G which was all about providing a new era of material for adaption and something that WB expressly wanted. WB wanted a new generation, a more diverse one, and Yara being an output of that makes me think the higher ups have an interest in pushing her. Comics don’t really matter beyond providing material for adaption, so I think Yara is going to continue to be a big player within the DCU with or without a solo simply because the powers that be have an interest in pushing her.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    I’d argue it isn’t quite the same. Ben and Kaine were the Scarlet Spider and Ben was killed off so that Peter could return to being the sole Spider-Man. Ben only got to be “Spider-Man” for as long as Marvel had decided to retire Peter, when it was decided to make Peter the real Spidey, that was curtains for Ben. Even Ben’s current run as Spidey is because Peter is out of commission. Used to be you’d have characters take over the mantle for a while and then either return to or get spun off into their own identity. People no longer support new heroes however, so if you want to add diversity, you have to have the new characters keep the big names to sustain interest. Miles continuing to be Spider-Man in the same universe and at the same time as Peter is very much a new thing. But it’s becoming the norm and Yara debuted as Wonder Woman, so I expect her to get that title again eventually.

As for the movie talk, Yara’s creation is tied to 5G which was all about providing a new era of material for adaption and something that WB expressly wanted. WB wanted a new generation, a more diverse one, and Yara being an output of that makes me think the higher ups have an interest in pushing her. Comics don’t really matter beyond providing material for adaption, so I think Yara is going to continue to be a big player within the DCU with or without a solo simply because the powers that be have an interest in pushing her.
    Very nicely put, Vordan, you're a very logical person. I'd just like to state that if they're pushing Yara Flor into the movies I'm really going to need them to retcon her coming from Idaho. I hate Idaho, never met a good person from Idaho.

Seconded.

Quote Originally Posted by mystical41 View Post
    Not necessarily. The original stories will enter public domain. There will still be parts of the character that others won't be able to use or reference. It won't exactly be a Sherlock Holmes situation. There is also a good chance of large companies (Disney, WB) lobbying for changes in their favor. They've done it before.

Quote Originally Posted by HestiasHearth View Post
    Because Marvel has been very successful at having popular characters being replaced by minority heroes and DC wants to replicate that success.

Arguably, DC has been doing legacy heroes since Barry's original origin was being inspired by Jay Garrick and later they met in Flash of Two Worlds then later the JLA/JSA crossed over regularly and the 90's and early 00's were dominated by younger legacy heroes. It's just that the 00's and '10's had DC swerving hard in trying to restore their original Silver Age version of heroes and burying their legacy characters with some exceptions and Marvel took advantage of that by setting up their own legacy hero dynasty with Young Avengers, Ms Marvel, Miles Morales, Champions, Runaways and then laughed all the way to the bank with their multi media empire. Now DC is trying reverse course and catch up by reestablishing brand new legacy heroes.

Quote Originally Posted by Shimbo View Post

Ben and Kaine are clones of Peter and one of them spent a several IRL years being dead. Better examples would be Miguel O'Hara, Anya Corazon, Jessica Drew, Julia Carpenter, Mayday Parker and Cindy Moon but none of them had the same level of instant success, popularity and exposure that Miles Morales has gotten. Even though Mayday had the second longest unbroken ongoing for a female character after WW, she is still not popular or well known as Miles Morales.