Page 16 of 32 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718192026 ... LastLast
    Still only crumbs...... BiteTheBullet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Natamaxxx View Post
    Kinda-sorta…Though it wouldn’t surprise me if there are folks who wouldn’t mind or maybe even advocate retiring Diana in favor of Nubia as Wonder Woman.
    If that were to ever happen, then DC can go eff off and see how much money I will be spending on Wonder Woman. The same as Spiderman after the Ben Relly saga---0 dollars and 0 cents. Even if they do it for a publicity stunt, then screw them!

Yet, I think that if they did all this with Nubia, no one would bat an eye…
    Oh trust me many people who are all pointing to Nubia as an example of “diversity done right” would not be happy if they started actually trying to push her as a competitor to Diana for the WW title. Nobody likes to have to share the spotlight, especially when previously their favorite character was the main mantle holder. Nobody wants their franchise to be the next GL or Flash where it’s endless fighting about who is the “best” and “deserves” to be the “main” version. I include myself in that by the way, I certainly don’t enjoy the prospect of my favorite having to share the name that he made famous and popular with wannabe hangers on. But Yara isn’t a threat to Diana, no chance of her completely “usurping” the title from Diana.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Kinda-sorta…Though it wouldn’t surprise me if there are folks who wouldn’t mind or maybe even advocate retiring Diana in favor of Nubia as Wonder Woman.
    You're missing the fact that NO ONE can step into Diana's role in popular culture, comics or the public's conciousness. She's been embedded in it 80 years and there's no changing that.

With Nubia it's clear they're trying to give her her own niche. Her own backstory, personality and relationships in the mythos. So nobody sees her as a threat.

However, with Yara they've clearly set her up as the next Wonder Girl and possible future Wonder Woman and that immediately puts fans of Donna, Cassie and Diana on the defensive because they don't want their faves to lose the spotlight.

The CBR Community Guidelines & Rules
    | Report but also PM me directly

They need to varry their powers more, all Wonders shouldn't be flying bricks. That's my problem with Donna, there's nothing she can do that Diana can't do better. She's already derivative, she doesn't need to be Diet Wonder Woman too. That's why I'm a fan of their lassos/bola having different abilities so they're not all doing the same things.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    Wait what? They literally killed off Peter Parker and then gave Miles Peter's book.

Donna has no hope though, she has no future.
    To be fair, that was Ultimate Spider-Man. Peter still starred in Amazing Spider-Man (though he was actually replaced in 616 too a year or so later, by Doctor Octopus as Superior Spider-Man).

Donna is barely used in the Wonder Woman book, yeah, she's reliant on the adult Titans having a book. Unfortunately with Academy cancelled, there's no guarantee of that any time soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Miles is the poster boy for what Yara haters are afraid DC will do with her. Miles actively takes stuff from Peter - they’ve copied Peter’s storylines for Miles, they’ve given Peter’s Rogues to Miles, they’ve started giving Peter’s love interests to Miles with Spider-Gwen (you can split hairs all you want about Spider-Gwen not technically being Gwen, but Gwen Stacy is an iconic Peter LI that they paired with Miles for Spider-Verse) - they had Peter get his ass beat by Miles in their first crossover and tell Miles that Miles had a better costume than him, and it’s almost impossible to get anything for Peter nowadays without them shoving Miles into it. If DC did a 1/10 of what Marvel has done for Miles for Yara this sub forum would have a full blown meltdown .

Just imagine the reaction this place would have to Yara beating Diana up, Diana telling Yara that Yara has a better costume than her, and letting Yara have the WW mantle (which they still haven’t done yet). Wouldn’t be pretty.
    Yeah, the cartoons actually aged down Peter and made him and Miles equal partners. Peter should be the older and more experienced Spider-Man. Miles should be the Spider-Man who's still learning his craft. In the comics, that is the case, but not in outside media. Superman's comics are getting this right. Jon became a second Superman, but he's clearly still learning the job while Clark is the experienced one. The Wonders should have the same dynamic. Despite being older than Cassie, Yara is less experienced and should be shown as such. Donna and Diana are obviously more experienced than them both, so in Diana's absence, Donna could serve as a mentor.

By the way, in the comics, Miles and Gwen had a brief flirtation, but Gwen has mostly avoided relationships and Miles is currently with Starling, the granddaughter of Spider-Man villain the Vulture.

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    I'm hoping something like a Wondergirls title is where it's all headed to as well.

I'm fine with Miles getting Spider-Gwen since it is an AU. OG Gwen, Spider-Gwen, GwenPool may as well be 3 different characters. MJ is the only one I consider to be Peter's OTL (even if Marvel doesn't want to admit it).
    Yeah, with Cassie having already been a co-star in Yara's book and Donna also showing up there before Trial of the Amazons, maybe the three of them should share a book like Babs, Cass and Steph do.

Gwenpool IS a different character, she's Gwen Poole, not Gwen Stacy (despite only existing because of a Gwen Stacy variant cover series in which she dressed as other superheroes). And you're right, Earth-616 Gwen and Earth-65 Gwen are very different. 616 Gwen actually finds it funny when Peter tells her about 65 Gwen (and her being in a rock band) in Clone Conspiracy, an event in which she'd been temporarily resurrected.
    Last edited by Digifiend; 05-18-2022 at 04:52 AM.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    They need to varry their powers more, all Wonders shouldn't be flying bricks. That's my problem with Donna, there's nothing she can do that Diana can't do better. She's already derivative, she doesn't need to be Diet Wonder Woman too. That's why I'm a fan of their lassos/bola having different abilities so they're not all doing the same things.
    Be a civilian? Have a normal job ?

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Be a civilian? Have a normal job ?
    Yara having a secret identity or a job would actually be a good way to differentiate her from the other Wonders come to think of it.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

How about Gym trainer?

Dumb question probably because I've mostly retreated back to manga but... what happened to Yara's book ?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Shimbo View Post
    Shame Yara's Appreciation thread is filled with a lack of...appreciation lol.
    Ha. You notice that, too? Could you imagine if this happened on a Donna or Cassie appreciation thread?

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Yara having a secret identity or a job would actually be a good way to differentiate her from the other Wonders come to think of it.
    I can see this. That said, I only really think secret ids are necessary when they can add another layer to a superhero's personality. In Yara's particular case, I don't think she really needs it. She's already got a ton of personality as it is. However, I wouldn't necessarily be against the idea, either.

Quote Originally Posted by mystical41 View Post
    And who said they aren't going to do that? People better not hold their breath. DC is at their best treating WW like garbage. So don't count them out just yet.
    Do you have a crystal ball the rest of us don't?

Quote Originally Posted by Drako View Post
    There is a place for all of them.
    I mean, you'd think fans of a character who's all about acceptance and equality wouldn't have to be told this, but here we are.

Face yhe truth guys, if Yara wasn't here, Cassie wouldn't even have been in any book in 2021. Yara was a good thing for Cassie and we shouldn't be trying to shun her away.
    Truth.

She's not gonna replace Diana, and she might very well help Cassie get some traction until DC finally gets their head out of their asses and do something good with Young Justice generation.
    Aren't they doing another YJ book some time soon? With Peter David?

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    Donna and Cassie has never been treated fairly throughout the 21st century so this is just more of that.
    Didn't Cassie get a mini? And they did bring Donna back from the dead (after being very unceremoniously killed off by a Superman robot)? I mean, I think it's clear that TPTB see some value in them otherwise they wouldn't've bothered. It just seems that neither of those events got the kind of traction they would've hoped for.

Quote Originally Posted by Shimbo View Post
    Anyway, I can't wait to see more of Yara and her continuing adventures, hopefully on a book without delays!
    Same here!
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    Dumb question probably because I've mostly retreated back to manga but... what happened to Yara's book ?
    Plot-wise, no clue, but DC cancelled it abruptly in part to line up faster with the events it wanted to get underway...and in part, it seems, because the artist was falling behind on deadlines.

Astonishing Member WonderLight789's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    Ha. You notice that, too? Could you imagine if this happened on a Donna or Cassie appreciation thread?

I can see this. That said, I only really think secret ids are necessary when they can add another layer to a superhero's personality. In Yara's particular case, I don't think she really needs it. She's already got a ton of personality as it is. However, I wouldn't necessarily be against the idea, either.

Do you have a crystal ball the rest of us don't?

I mean, you'd think fans of a character who's all about acceptance and equality wouldn't have to be told this, but here we are.

Truth.

Aren't they doing another YJ book some time soon? With Peter David?

Didn't Cassie get a mini? And they did bring Donna back from the dead (after being very unceremoniously killed off by a Superman robot)? I mean, I think it's clear that TPTB see some value in them otherwise they wouldn't've bothered. It just seems that neither of those events got the kind of traction they would've hoped for.

Same here!
    I don't need a crystal ball. DC's trackrecord is enough to know that it can very likeñy happen.

Extraordinary Member

WONDER GIRL 2022 ANNUAL #1
    Written by JOËLLE JONES
    Art by ADRIANA MELO, SWEENEY BOO, JILL THOMPSON, and EMI LENOX
    Cover by JOËLLE JONES
    Variant cover by CHRIS WILDGOOSE
    1:25 variant cover by W. SCOTT FORBES
    $5.99 | 48 pages | Variant $6.99 US (card stock)
    ON SALE 8/30/22

After an unforgettable first visit to Themyscira (see Trial of the Amazons), Yara
    Flor has been crowned Wonder Girl and her Esquecida tribe accepted into the
    Amazon sisterhood…so what now? The jungles of Brazil beckon our heroes
    home, just in time for some new adventures! You won't want to miss this
    oversize issue packed with never-before-seen stories about the mysterious
    new tribe and their most famous member!

Extraordinary Member

Yara will also be making an appearance in Nubia: Queen of the Amazons #3.