Page 21 of 32 FirstFirst ... 1117181920212223242531 ... LastLast
    Still only crumbs...... BiteTheBullet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    All of the YJ generation should’ve graduated to new names by now. It’s a strike against them that they haven’t and instead are still mainly relying on nostalgia to get people to care about them. Yara being Wonder Girl isn’t my ideal because I’d rather she was WW. Weird as hell that her peers are Jon as Superman and Jace as Batman but she’s using a sidekick moniker.
    Diana is Wonder Woman. There should be no second guessing on this statement. Whether she is dead at the moment or off earth indefinitely or in another universe, she is always Wonder Woman. For writers to slap another, like Yara, with the title is just lazy and wanting to get people to buy the mag before they realize the let down of it not being the original character.

When Artemis became Wonder Woman, I didn't think much of it because she seemed to want to be called Artemis most of the time, and of course good ole Diana was still there and we knew she would re-assume the mantle. What has Yara done to even be called Wonder Girl, as well as the douchiness of Diana giving her the 'mantle'? Absolutely nothing.

Besides, I didn't know that Diana was the one to bequeath mantles to people. Was Donna or Cassie given the title of Wonder Girl by Diana? Pretty sure no would be the answer to that question. Hence the reason why I think it was douchy of Diana to say that in the first place to Yara. It is all about DC trying to give a hard push to elevate Yara into acceptance instead of letting the masses do this by buying her comic, which they apparently didn't do or lost interest in very early on.

Extraordinary Member

Why was it douchey for WW to give Yara the mantle? And please remember that this is an appreciation thread.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Yara is living rent free in some people's heads.
    Last edited by Drako; 07-12-2022 at 09:39 AM.
    DC: Dick Grayson, Wally West, Donna Troy, Yara Flor, Titans

Some of my favorite Mangas: One Piece, Slam Dunk, Fullmetal Alchemist, HunterXHunter, Vinland Saga, Monster, Berserk, Vagabond.
    Current reading: Jujutsu Kaisen, Chainsaw Man, Spy X Family, Kaiju Nº8, Blue Lock, Dandadan.

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    Why was it douchey for WW to give Yara the mantle? And please remember that this is an appreciation thread.
    Who is Diana to even give a 'mantle' to someone? She didn't do it for Cassie or Donna, so why Yara? And as far as I know, Cassie is still Wonder Girl which she can go on being as long as she wants to. Kara is still Supergirl, so I don't see the reason why to graduate from a 'girl' moniker to something else. Girl does not necessarily mean ultra young if that is the sticking point for some to want to see a change into another codename. Besides, from all accounts, Yara seems to be older than Cassie who is and still should be Wonder Girl.

The problem is, the DC people including the writers want to give Yara a push, likening it to pro wrestling. If they can 'push' this person early on, they can force us to see how great the character is, instead of just letting the writing (good writing) take care of itself. Otherwise, to some like me, it just feels that they are trying to push another character into a legacy mantle without them having really done anything.

As I already mentioned, Yara, regardless if delays were the case, couldn't even sustain a limited series let alone making her the new Wonder Girl or Wonder Woman. I would appreciate the character alot more if the writing was there before they try to stick the readers with legacy monikers in which those monikers haven't even been retired by the previous characters. Very messy setup to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Drako View Post
    She sure is. Good thing I haven't spent a cent on anything associated with Yara.

Astonishing Member OopsIdiditagain's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    She didn't even keep the mantle, it was just a possible future lol.

All of the YJ generation should’ve graduated to new names by now. It’s a strike against them that they haven’t and instead are still mainly relying on nostalgia to get people to care about them. Yara being Wonder Girl isn’t my ideal because I’d rather she was WW. Weird as hell that her peers are Jon as Superman and Jace as Batman but she’s using a sidekick moniker.
    Jon can call himself whatever he wants but as far as concerned he is just babysitting the Earth as Superman until Clark comes back and takes back his place. Then he'll be superbly or whatever new mantle they give him.

Damian feels more like Yara's peer than Jace. The Future State JL just had multiple generations.
    december 21st has passed where are my superpowers?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Drako View Post
    No joke. These same people clearly have a difficult time understanding what an appreciation thread is, too (although I bet that would clear up really quickly if anyone said anything disparaging on a Donna, Artemis, or Cassandra thread).

Anyway, getting back to the thread's intended topic, I love how fun and down to Earth Yara comes off:

Last edited by phonogram12; 07-12-2022 at 11:56 AM.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Quote Originally Posted by BiteTheBullet View Post
    Diana is Wonder Woman. There should be no second guessing on this statement. Whether she is dead at the moment or off earth indefinitely or in another universe, she is always Wonder Woman. For writers to slap another, like Yara, with the title is just lazy and wanting to get people to buy the mag before they realize the let down of it not being the original character.

When Artemis became Wonder Woman, I didn't think much of it because she seemed to want to be called Artemis most of the time, and of course good ole Diana was still there and we knew she would re-assume the mantle. What has Yara done to even be called Wonder Girl, as well as the douchiness of Diana giving her the 'mantle'? Absolutely nothing.

Besides, I didn't know that Diana was the one to bequeath mantles to people. Was Donna or Cassie given the title of Wonder Girl by Diana? Pretty sure no would be the answer to that question. Hence the reason why I think it was douchy of Diana to say that in the first place to Yara. It is all about DC trying to give a hard push to elevate Yara into acceptance instead of letting the masses do this by buying her comic, which they apparently didn't do or lost interest in very early on.
    Whether it’s Yara or Nubia the day is fast approaching when Diana will have to share the mantle in the name of diversity. Everyone else is doing it: Peter & Miles are Spider-Man, Clark/Jon/Kenan are all Superman, Bruce & Jace are both Batman, Barry & Wally are both Flash, Arthur & Kaldur are Aquaman, Sam & Steve are Captain America, there’s 8 GLs, and so on and so forth. Demand for diversity is something these companies are striving to meet, but diverse characters flop unless they’re attached to a “brand” so everyone is sharing now. If you don’t like it you can blame Miles Morales for kicking off the “anyone can wear the mask” craze.
    Quote Originally Posted by OopsIdiditagain View Post

Jon can call himself whatever he wants but as far as concerned he is just babysitting the Earth as Superman until Clark comes back and takes back his place. Then he'll be superbly or whatever new mantle they give him.

Damian feels more like Yara's peer than Jace. The Future State JL just had multiple generations.
    Well we know SSOKE will continue past Clark’s return to Earth and I don’t think they’re going to give the mantle away given they made a big deal about having a bisexual Superman. I’ve talked to the Superman creators on Twitter and they’re pretty adamant Jon won’t be losing the title any time soon. I’m pretty positive that Yara, Jon, Jace, and the rest are going to be the new mainline JL once Dark Crisis ends (which makes it all the weirder that they haven’t made Yara WW if so).
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by BiteTheBullet View Post

Lol yes DC gave yara the wonder girl mantle to push her, but really it was even more so to make wonder girl relevant. Because believe it or not both Donna and Cassie are irrelevant!!! I know their fans can't believe that but it true.

Yara is here to add more value to the wonderverse and make wonder girl a relevant mantle. Wonder girl needs yara as much as yara needs wonder girl.

And I prefer Yara in her 20s also.

Astonishing Member The Frog Bros's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WonderNight View Post
    Lol yes DC gave yara the wonder girl mantle to push her, but really it was even more so to make wonder girl relevant. Because believe it or not both Donna and Cassie are irrelevant!!! I know their fans can't believe that but it true.

Yara is here to add more value to the wonderverse and make wonder girl a relevant mantle. Wonder girl needs yara as much as yara needs wonder girl.

And I prefer Yara in her 20s also.
    I could be misremembering but I seem to recall Joelle Jones confirmed that she was early 20s shortly before (or after) the first issue.
    “Look, you can’t put the Superman #77s with the #200s. They haven’t even discovered Red Kryptonite yet. And you can’t put the #98s with the #300s, Lori Lemaris hasn’t even been introduced.” — Sam
    “Where the hell are you from? Krypton?” — Edgar Frog

Quote Originally Posted by OopsIdiditagain View Post
    Read the finale of Trial of the Amazons again. Diana gave her the Wonder Girl mantle. Neither Donna nor Cassie were consulted and Cassie's still using the name, so it should've been Cassie who granted her use of the name. We didn't see how Yara became Wonder Woman in Future State, she was simply active for a while off panel prior to that storyline.

Incidentally, yes, Diana didn't name either of the previous Wonder Girls either, Cassie got it from Donna, who even gave her her old red costume (which she used when aged up in Sins of Youth). Donna was created by accident (Teen Titans writer thought WG was a sidekick, not a young Diana), and didn't even appear in Wonder Woman for years after her debut, so I don't think how she got the name has ever been shown, as it's all a retcon anyway.
    Last edited by Digifiend; 07-15-2022 at 05:33 AM.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Astonishing Member OopsIdiditagain's Avatar

Ignoring H*rley, interested to see how Yara, Damian, Jaime and Jackson interact with each other. And it looks like she might be leading.
    december 21st has passed where are my superpowers?

Astonishing Member The Frog Bros's Avatar

Yara and Jerry leading the charge!
    “Look, you can’t put the Superman #77s with the #200s. They haven’t even discovered Red Kryptonite yet. And you can’t put the #98s with the #300s, Lori Lemaris hasn’t even been introduced.” — Sam
    “Where the hell are you from? Krypton?” — Edgar Frog

Quote Originally Posted by The Frog Bros View Post
    Yara and Jerry leading the charge!
    Hi-ho, Jerry! Away!
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.