Page 3 of 32 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by 9th. View Post
    I see what the Twitter user is saying and I respect their opinion but comics like this usually aren't culturally accurate and mainly act on the rule of cool beyond anything else.
    The Yara Flor book was marketed as being culturally accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    When people say that they want authentic (or "more" authentic than we have now) Greek gods in WW they usually get ridiculed.
    I've seen these same people say Azzarello's Greek gods were authentic, so I'm not sure what exactly they want.

They were more authentic than what we have now.

They weren't. Even just going by looks alone.

Yes, by the looks alone. Either way you are not really answering the question, can we have more authentic Greek gods in WW comics or not? And could you give some link where Yara was advertised as being "culturally accurate"? I remember Jones saying that she did her research, but I don't remember Yara being marketed as being culturally accurate.

Yes, by the looks alone.
    If you can point to any text or art where Poseidon is depicted as he is in Azzarello's comic, I'd love to see it.

Either way you are not really answering the question, can we have more authentic Greek gods in WW comics or not?
    You never "asked" this question, but sure, why not. But Azzarello's gods are authentic.

And could you give some link where Yara was advertised as being "culturally accurate"? I remember Jones saying that she did her research, but I don't remember Yara being marketed as being culturally accurate.
    Jones saying she'd done her research was part of the marketing. They were constantly bringing it up in interviews, social media posts, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    If you can point to any text or art where Poseidon is depicted as he is in Azzarello's comic, I'd love to see it.
    Thats a joke. I haven't seen anyone who liked Azzarello's run claim that Chiang's designs were authentic. So your argument about looks is rather weird and funny.

Jones saying she'd done her research was part of the marketing. They were constantly bringing it up in interviews, social media posts, etc.
    So you don't have any links where Yara is marketed as being "culturally accurate"?

I remember Joelle saying she did research but I don’t remember any claims of cultural accuracy. Didio just wanted a Latina WW to capitalize on the strong DC fanbase down in Latin America.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

How so?

So you don't have any links where Yara is marketed as being "culturally accurate"?
    https://www.polygon.com/comics/2021/...n-cw-brazilian

So what do you think will be next for yara, a team book, a Mimi or new solo. If a team book then what team?

I'm gonna buy her funky pop to help support yara. I'm gonna put it right next to my power girl funko pop and have me some sweet dreams .
    Last edited by WonderNight; 01-15-2022 at 09:27 PM.

Why are you giving a link that doesn't talk about cultural accurracy and even mentions Beyonce as an inspiration?

I figure there is some confusion what doing research actually means and implies. For example, in this article Jones mentions a river god. If you are not familiar with Brazilian folklore and mythology you likely won't be able to name a single god from that culture. And Jones admits as much in this interview and thats why she is researching them. It doesn't imply that these gods and creatures will now be authentic, only that they won't be totally made up by Jones or anothet writer.

Why are you giving a link that doesn't talk about cultural accurracy and even mentions Beyonce as an inspiration?

I figure there is some confusion what doing research actually means and implies. For example, in this article Jones mentions a river god. If you are not familiar with Brazilian folklore and mythology you likely won't be able to name a single god from that culture. And Jones admits as much in this interview and thats why she is researching them. It doesn't imply that these gods and creatures will now be authentic, only that they won't be totally made up by Jones or anothet writer.
    yeah sounds more like something twitter made up and some fans word of mouth. Look more like people trying to throw that on DC and some not looking to give yara a fare shot, like why not keep that same energy with diana and the other wonder women?

Quote Originally Posted by WonderNight View Post
    yeah sounds more like something twitter made up and some fans word of mouth. Look more like people trying to throw that on DC and some not looking to give yara a fare shot, like why not keep that same energy with diana and the other wonder women?
    They have.

Quote Originally Posted by WonderNight View Post
    So what do you think will be next for yara, a team book, a Mimi or new solo. If a team book then what team?

I'm gonna buy her funky pop to help support yara. I'm gonna put it right next to my power girl funko pop and have me some sweet dreams .
    I’m hoping if she doesn’t get a solo that they relaunch Superman/WW as a Jon/Yara team up book. I liked them being the new World’s Finest in Future State.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    I’m hoping if she doesn’t get a solo that they relaunch Superman/WW as a Jon/Yara team up book. I liked them being the new World’s Finest in Future State.
    I hope NOT, I would like to see her strengthening ties with the Wonder Family before they tie her to Superman or another group of young heroes.

I remember that in an interview someone asked Denzel Washington why a black director had to direct that movie and if anyone else could do it, and he wisely replied that it is not a question of gender or race, it is CULTURE. He said that anyone could have filmed Schindler's List or Goodfellas, but the culture of his directors is what makes them unique, understanding from a real perspective what a character is going through or living.

I think no one asks or says that, in this case, a white North American woman cannot write about a black woman of Brazilian roots on a journey of self-discovery, ah, but how different it would be if a black woman who had started that journey wrote it.
    Personally and I repeat it, never connect with Yara's story, she falls into all the topics of a cis white woman. Topics that today in the 21st century I question that represent even a cis white woman.
    Last edited by Sebastianne; 01-16-2022 at 08:46 AM.